Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

The reason I specifically used "pet" rather than "animal" in my comment was because in my country I've only heard of people being compared to animals in a derogatory way (pig, chicken etc.), as you and others mentioned. If I heard someone talking about dog or cat energy I'd think they've probably been influenced by US (or Japanese) media.

I'd say it's at least been nothing strange over here, I was compared to a fox quite often as a child, and this a long time before we ever got much US or Japanese media here.

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

I honestly have never [interacted with] a human person and gone "Wow, she's just like a cat." Or "He reminds me of a puppy!" But I see this all the time in manga. Maybe all these manga characters have more imagination than me...

Why does your own statement have editorial brackets?

joined Apr 10, 2023

Now that the secret is out she has no excuse to not wear her full gear when they hang out together. They will feel the full force of her awesomeness!

Do you want a harem route? Because that's how you get a harem route...

If we have at least a harem chapter leading to a jealous Aya claiming her territory then it will all be worth it

joined Apr 10, 2021

I honestly have never [interacted with] a human person and gone "Wow, she's just like a cat." Or "He reminds me of a puppy!" But I see this all the time in manga. Maybe all these manga characters have more imagination than me...

They have a hired editor for their comments. A good idea in the internet in general.

Untitled102_20231004232707
joined Mar 26, 2014

This manga always delivers. I was kinda not into the school trip arc and had things to do in real life so it was hard to get back into reading it. But now everything is more or less settled comfortably. I'm caught up!

And she even has new friends. :) XD Even more wholesome. Hahahahaha,

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

Because it wasn't my own statement. I modified what a previous commenter said.

Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

Sorry for the wall of text.
To not digress too much - Arita's remark is good as it's one more person who wouldn't mind Mitsuki opening up about her interests (and the author won't get comments pointing out that he's in the know).

--- animal talk below ---

I think it's a bit much to claim that it happens "worldwide", unless you've actually studied on this?

It was a generalization that in contrast to Japan other places may not emphasize animal-ness to the point shown in the previous paragraph, but comparisons to animals can still be found in other forms (not necessarily in the moe-kawaii flavor, not necessarily the types I listed equally represented - though I do think they're basic enough to have at least token presence everywhere - and not necessarily in the same manner for each country/region).

The first paragraph gives examples how loaded with meaning/traits certain animals are in Japan (it's then logical they'd find their way into everyday interactions as shorthands for said traits, and from there some may take them a bit more literally; trying to imagine a specific breed as a subcategory of unique traits might be out there too as an expansion of the original concept, but it may also be imported dog breed stereotypes mixed in). The second paragraph, which you could view as supplementary and not as a direct continuation of the answer, is what kinds of animal-calling you can find elsewhere instead (with specific examples being all idiomatic). I suspect we may not be in disagreement here?

And to clarify just in case - I also didn't mean getting accompanying vivid imagery of animals when looking at people (it's a visual trope specific to the medium, for chances of it happening to real people we'd have to ask neuroscience - or maybe psychology).

It's not a real expertise, just me putting together stuff starting with cultures I'm familiar with, what I've read on adjacent topics in the past (I have an interest in linguistics, if it amounts to anything) and checking for animal-related language in about two dozen languages from different parts of the world. If you live in a place where animals exist, and your language allows for similes/epithets, then it's inevitable somebody would combine the two together at some point, whatever the purpose of that may be. If there's a dominant culture or religion present that has a say on specific or even on all animals (praising or vilifying them, seeing them as equal to or strictly lower than humans, etc.), then that'd affect their use for that purpose accordingly.

I've encountered some studies on specific topics like why a branch of insults would be animal-related (it, possibly obviously, often boils down to the intent to dehumanize the recipient), but I don't recall anything thoroughly global in its scope. Nevertheless, I believe there should be some language evolution research out there on the use of comparisons to things our ancestors were familiar with in communication, and a different study on the prevalence of animals in symbolism, that would argue for those two being universal.

The reason I specifically used "pet" rather than "animal" in my comment was because in my country I've only heard of people being compared to animals in a derogatory way (pig, chicken etc.), as you and others mentioned. If I heard someone talking about dog or cat energy I'd think they've probably been influenced by US (or Japanese) media.

I did miss this implication, sorry for that.

I wasn't considering such a distinction because while some animals may be commonly taken as pets, they aren't universally pettable (just for dogs you have some breeds that are known to be cute or friendly, some that an average person considers scary/intimidating/more dangerous, wild or stray dogs that many would be wary of, some cultures that don't think of dogs fondly, in several languages a whelp and a puppy are a single word that also shares the former's meaning of an insolent child, "pet material" range differs from person to person, and so on), animals that aren't domesticated or suited for being pets, and the discussion started with why it's common to liken people to animals in manga (with dogs/puppies and cats being given as examples, and they're the most common, but comparisons to other animals happen too and you can also find ones that aren't flattering or cute among them, like somebody being seen as a barking/growling guard dog or students thinking a well-built teacher resembles a gorilla).

To me "you're as loyal as a dog" also seems insulting lol. It would sound to me like they're calling me a blindly obedient. I'm not sure if it's personal or cultural in this case, but, for the record, most of my family agreed.

It'd be "(as) faithful as a dog", I think, but I'm unsure if it's an independently-evolved English phrase or an import from one of the other languages that share it.
Loyalty/faithfulness (to a person, a cause, or a belief) in the sense of being particularly devoted and reliable and trustworthy, which is viewed as positive because nobody wants a backstabbing friend/relative/partner/underling that can't counted on. It could be used for a person loyal to something you perceive as wrong (where you're not calling them stupid for not noticing they're in the wrong, but acknowledge a virtue they profess), and for the negative type of loyalty you'd use "blindly loyal" or "blind faith". I haven't myself encountered it being said directly to the person it's meant to describe (I'd expect it to be about somebody being talked about but not talked to, e.g. "oh, there's no way Max would cheat on Alex with that sexy/hunky co-worker he's with on a week-long business trip, he's as faithful as a dog").

Specific expressions like this one are idiomatic and take time to form (their spread relies on cultural exchange with neighboring lands, culture pushing in case of territories of former empires and big, old religions, and groups of migrating people used to their own idioms spreading them as calques), so they may not work as well when directly translated or taken out of their native habitat (but you can probably find the concepts behind them expressed differently in your language/culture - in this case it could be reliability based on another critter, a sturdy object, a historic/mythological/religious figure famous for it, or maybe a predictable natural phenomenon).
Sorry if you already know it and the explanation was unnecessary.

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

this is funny considering just a few days ago my friends were discussing what kind of animals we were and I didn't understand any of it

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Is she about to make a love song?! AAAAAAAAAAH

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Very nice. ^_^

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

When's the wedding? (The customers are all invited.)

Tumblr_3d1efdc4f3fb1ee16acd2f13f08afe0c_1e0d545a_12802
joined Mar 8, 2014

Pleaaase make ouuuut XD jk

My%20god
joined Dec 27, 2014

Calling her her crush? GOOD.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Calling her her crush? GOOD.

From Discord, the Japanese is still "oshi", so it's a translator choice.

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

This is sweet but I'm wondering when we'll get back to Mistuki's threat of leaving. I thought that would create more forward momentum but it's taken a bit of a backseat. I rarely have an idea of what'll happen next in this manga since each chapter is in some ways connected but also disconnected from what came before it.

last edited at Mar 31, 2024 2:31PM

Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

This is sweet but I'm wondering when we'll get back to Mistuki's threat of leaving.

The sale is to quickly make money for the ticket. /doommongering

last edited at Mar 31, 2024 2:42PM

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

This is sweet but I'm wondering when we'll get back to Mistuki's threat of leaving.

The sale is to quickly make money for the ticket. /doommongering

That would be a twist lol.

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

Mitsuki's fashion gets talked up a lot, and it is great, but as a femme I love Aya's looks so much. Those earrings are adorable!

Smallerowl2jpg
joined May 5, 2020

Joe knew what he was fuckin' doing here. He knew Aya'd be by and Mitsuki would get overwhelmed manning the store solo.

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

LMAOOOOOOOO

beyond the statement. They doubled down by referencing Bikini Kill, but most notably Rebel Girl.

For those who don't know, Rebel Girl is a lesbian anthem with such lyrics as:

"Rebel girl, rebel girl
I think I wanna take you home, I wanna try on your clothes, uh"

"When she walks, the revolution's coming
In her kiss, I taste the revolution"

"That girl thinks she's the queen of the neighborhood
I got news for you, she is
They say she's a d***, but I know
She is my best friend, yeah"

So uh, not subtle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0oeqAQ1qE8

joined Apr 10, 2023

Mitsuki's fashion gets talked up a lot, and it is great, but as a femme I love Aya's looks so much. Those earrings are adorable!

They are super cute, her look as a whole is great. We don't talk about it a lot but one of the things the author clearly puts a lot of care into is the ever changing fashion and accessories of the girls. It's fun :)

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

Hell yeah Riot Grrrls!

joined Aug 29, 2023

Looks like Aya has a few more names to add to the wedding guest list...

joined May 13, 2021

Love love love the bikini kill reference!

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

LMAOOOOOOOO

beyond the statement. They doubled down by referencing Bikini Kill, but most notably Rebel Girl.

For those who don't know, Rebel Girl is a lesbian anthem with such lyrics as:

"Rebel girl, rebel girl
I think I wanna take you home, I wanna try on your clothes, uh"

"When she walks, the revolution's coming
In her kiss, I taste the revolution"

"That girl thinks she's the queen of the neighborhood
I got news for you, she is
They say she's a d***, but I know
She is my best friend, yeah"

So uh, not subtle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0oeqAQ1qE8

Oh, hey, thanks. I would have had no idea, and it's a nice addition to how that scene works.

To reply you must either login or sign up.