Forum › Posts by rainbow8

rainbow8
joined Jan 14, 2020

You cant use 'those' for any of these cases right?

You could, but it's less natural out of context. More natural in a context where other things were already established as relevant, so you're specifying the bags or panties in distinction to those other things.

But yeah, 'them' is flexible:

"Did you talk to your friends?"
"Yes mom, I talked to them?"
"Did you wash the dishes?"
"*Yes* mom, I already washed them."
"How's your [non-binary] friend Pat?"
"I'm seeing them Saturday."
"Remember I'll be out Saturday morning, and a repair person is coming."
"Yes, I'll be here for them, I'm seeing Pat later."

joined Jan 14, 2020

Sex and breading sounds like a terrible combination. Like sex on a sandy beach.

joined Jan 14, 2020

That said, you still want to use actually good bread and I doubt anything that comes already sliced is going to be worth your time, regardless of the thickness.

Like I said, it's basically Wonderbread. Bland white from the 7/11. Among the cheapest calories I saw in Japan, 1000 calories per dollar.

Better to just buy a whole loaf of good bread and slice it yourself.

I didn't see any bread I was inclined to call good. Apart from the croissants.

joined Jan 14, 2020

No wonder lots of Japanese dont do bread much if half the country tries to eat it in 2 to 3 cm thick slices- yuck!

Or they simply have taste, since IIRC that stuff is basically Wonderbread.

(Not that white rice is really so much better, nutritionally.)

rainbow8
Rough Maker discussion 22 Nov 20:17
joined Jan 14, 2020

Honestly, I've been waiting to see an OT3 / polyamory doujin (or at least fanfic) for these three. I definitely feel like it could work.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/17470463

https://archiveofourown.org/works/22042444

No doujins here though, just a couple fanarts. https://dynasty-scans.com/pairings/sayaka_x_touko_x_yuu

rainbow8
Citrus + discussion 22 Nov 00:50
joined Jan 14, 2020

little over a month. I've had dirty dishes on my sink longer than that

eek

rainbow8
Rough Maker discussion 21 Nov 16:14
joined Jan 14, 2020

It was nice, but idk wasn't feeling it I think she should just stay with the other girl she's in a relationship with in the manga

The one who's basically a clone of Yuu?

Cool doujin, hot, yet somehow Sayaka manages to be useless lesbian at the end anyway...

rainbow8
Yuru Oyako discussion 17 Nov 22:57
joined Jan 14, 2020

Haha, pretty good.

joined Jan 14, 2020

The plot twist is that there's only one daughter who's desperate for both siblings and romance, so she created an imaginary sister who also wants to do her. The mother is disturbed, but also afraid of how her daughter will react if she points out that it's all a hallucination, so she pretends to be okay with the relationship.

Less fucked up theory: One of the sisters is actually adopted, so they aren't related, but only Mom knows this, and she's too afraid to tell them the truth. But, since she knows they aren't actual sisters, she's fine with them dating.

Girls can't have kids together, so the genetics are irrelevant. The practical problems of incest-dating come from the emotional tangle of being in a family; adoption doesn't change that.

joined Jan 14, 2020

If 7% of the US is gay, simplistically that would mean 7% of men and 7% of women. Yes, half the initial 7% is gay female, but half the population is female, so it cancels out.

Or in graspable numbers:
1000 Americans
500 men
500 women
70 gay
35 gay men
35 gay women

35 gay women / 500 women = 7%

(Now whether the initial 7% is accurate is another matter.)

last edited at Nov 13, 2020 9:07PM

rainbow8
joined Jan 14, 2020

"I guess you could chalk it down to something like stupidity or denial or instigation or hate-reading,"

Or to enjoying the series overall, while still seeing problems in it, in this case an annoying ambiguity or coyness. People can enjoy things without finding them perfect.

joined Jan 14, 2020

...I've never seen shoes grow MOLD. And they're treating it like something that happens all the time.

rainbow8
joined Jan 14, 2020

Arguably to REALLY localize something you'd convert mentions of okonomiyaki and other street food to "hot dogs". Which I would consider a step or three too far.

Then there's the whole honorifics thing. At some point the "native Japanese experience" cannot be translated into modern American English because that experience doesn't exist. So I really like translations that keep the honorifics and if necessary include a guide to what they mean.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Everything would have went fine if Satou just used this thing called... Communication, imagine being so braindead you can't even express yourself

Imagine the site's manga being full of useless lesbian zombies.

rainbow8
joined Jan 14, 2020

That and the first season can legit be sumarized as: Nanoha asks Fate to run away with her.

"I love your sad, beautiful, eyes."

Could write some creepy fanfic based on that.

Whut? There are people denying Those two? Where? They are litterally the least usemess lesbians, period.

It's hardly perfectly clear what their relationship is, other than "close". I've gone back and forth on it myself.

rainbow8
joined Jan 14, 2020

They're just best friends

joined Jan 14, 2020

Sniffs girls. Uses girls as hand-warmers. Think Shino might be a little gay?

joined Jan 14, 2020

You forgot the part where she goes back home and cries herself to sleep into her life-sized Toothless plush.

Everybody associates their closest friend with a fictional animal and then sleeps with a life-sized plushie body pillow of one—it doesn’t mean anything sexual.

What?

Heh, I just re-watched "But I'm a Cheerleader."

"Everything thinks about girls, right?"
"Oh my god, I'm a homosexual."

joined Jan 14, 2020

yuri/yaoi

rainbow8
Yuru Oyako discussion 25 Oct 22:10
joined Jan 14, 2020

It also seems like the second page is 'reality' and the first page is the kid's imagination.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Normal manga: We want to be together, but our parents/society/personal situations won't let us.
This manga: The entire multiverse is on wingman duty, but we've still got doubts.

Heh. Like the mom who "forgot" to turn on the rice cooker.

This title is crossings streams with "Even if it was just once" in my mind, though.

rainbow8
Citrus + discussion 23 Oct 22:03
joined Jan 14, 2020

Some titles on mangadex have two groups working in parallel. It's interesting to compare the translations. Sometimes complete reversals...

rainbow8
joined Jan 14, 2020

"The entire purpose of writing is to communicate with the audience"

I suppose true for a sufficiently broad notion of 'communication'. But writing can be aiming to convey facts, give commands, tell a story, persuade, or create an abstract or emotional mood. Paradoxes and nonsense stretch the notion of 'communication' but can still serve a purpose. You don't even need real words!

Olo molo janga kolo

Kek mork zidikiz ak pakt

you could have a whole poem in one of those styles and it wouldn't mean anything concrete but might induce a mood.

Anyway, I realize I may have gone pedantic. Certainly I'd say the ending of this thing was not successful, unless the author wanted to induce a feeling of confusion and frustration.

Which is a pity because the earlier part of the story was emotionally gripping. I cared about the characters and their situation and how it might resolve. I was upset when Uta moved out, though I see how it made sense (though the mother seemed to show up just to provide her a place to go).

But looking back, lots of flaws too: convenient mother ex machina. Unexplained de-licensing. Uta's friends who vanished once not needed.

"the ending is pretty much fine in a vacuum"

I'll even accept Reichii living nearby, as I've said. And yeah, "Uta and Kaoru in love", "Uta grinding on Kaoru in a sexually one-sided relationships", "Uta still living in frustration", would all have been doable destinations. But we skipped most of the journey, to... whatever destination it was.

rainbow8
joined Jan 14, 2020

My Unresolved Love

It is true that "will they or won't they?" has been an obsession for some noisy fans, but there are probably others more interested in what sort of underwear they wear, neither should place an obligation on the author to deliver.

That's a ridiculous comparison.

rainbow8
joined Jan 14, 2020

Buyers and potential buyers both have the right to criticize an author for such a terrible ending, so go back to Twitter if you feel it necessary to call valid criticism "toxic."

Comments have a right to criticize other comments.