Forum › Posts by rainbow8

joined Jan 14, 2020

Well the last two chapters seem to be retconning that Marika was into Aya all along, without realizing/admitting it...

Though after re-reading the first two chapters, Marika is thinking "really attractive" and "sexy appeal" right up front, so not that much of a retcon.

The "Aya's not that rich" 'revelation' was foreshadowed from early on too: ordinary house, ordinary room...

joined Jan 14, 2020

I read it! Interesting points, thank you.

Is there significance to a conch piercing?

last edited at Feb 2, 2023 12:23AM

rainbow8
Reliance discussion 02 Feb 00:17
joined Jan 14, 2020

10.5 hour work day, oof. Not counting commute.

joined Jan 14, 2020

center-left missing a word: "I think I've finally found the right [words?] for them"
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/trying_out_marriage_with_my_female_friend_ch24#17

joined Jan 14, 2020

I liked it.

the most hideous and stupid thing I've ever read in my life.

Nice life you've had.

joined Jan 14, 2020

you know, even though the text says that marika's super good at reading the mood or whatever she has done nothing but make incredibly tactless statements for 9 chapters. I'm starting to think that neither of these two actually know how to communicate at all

Well, this high-sex environment is rather outside her comfort or experience zone...

joined Jan 14, 2020

Things were worse in general for women, no doubt, but in certain social classes one's "marriage" and one's "private (sexual) life" could be two very different things.

I'd mentioned that earlier, but yeah.

Probably more leeway for a queen or noblewoman after popping out a sufficient number of unchallenged heirs. Or of course if she had a female lover, no threat to the lines of paternity.

rainbow8
joined Jan 14, 2020

One non-rapey enforcement could be "if you don't want to live by the rules of the royal family, you don't get its privileges. Enjoy earning your living as a commoner." Something like that happened with an English king in the 1900s; he wanted to marry a divorcee, which wasn't allowed, so he abjured the throne for himself and his heirs. And special laws were passed too.

Real world before that was probably more like locking someone up in a tower and not giving her the usual perks, but I'm hardly an expert on this aspect of history. There was also the "become a nun"/"take a vow of chastity" approach but I'm not sure how much royal or high noble women were allowed that.

It was common for all members of a family, male or female, to be seen as assets of the family 'firm' and used as such, though worse for the women. We're different now but that may be less due to any moral superiority and more to a different kind of economy and society that allows more individualism to be practical.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Maybe it's a cultural thing? I'm not an expert in cross-cultural studies, but I've read that high-context, Confucianism-influenced cultures like Japan tend to sanction outright rejections and refusals that disrupt social cohesion. Instead, rejection is heavily veiled, with the expectation that the rejected party withdraws "voluntarily" to save face for both of them. In this frame of reference, Asumi agreeing to a "one-off" date with the expectation that Nanao no longer pursues her romantically afterwards (until she finds Mai, at least) is the most appropriate thing to do. It sounds insane and hurtful to us gaijin who value individuals' feelings over social cohesion, but these girls may have been socialized differently.

Reminds me of the trash fire going on in Yamada-san and Kase at the moment, with Kase in an absurd race because she can't say no.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Historically what often happens is "I had to go through this for Reasons, so my kids do too". You get that even with women pushing female genital mutilation on their daughters, something I find an entirely pointless tradition, never mind with things with actual practical purpose like royal marriage alliances.

joined Jan 14, 2020

But the queen and the dressmaker are going to keep living their happy forced heterosexual / single life, the queen possibly have yet more sex with the husband she didn't wan

Bisexuals exist. Heck, evidence suggests more women are bi than lesbian.

There's no clear evidence that the queen doesn't love her husband now. "Get married and come to love each other" is what a lot of people did (or tried).

(As was "get married, have some required kids, then go play with your loves on the side." More discreetly for women than for men.)

because the kingdom needs more heirs. Which, you know, is fine, because the king is a nice guy anyway! This pair, I believe, is what many people (including me) are angry with.

Maybe such people shouldn't read stories about royalty then, lest history upset them.

There is little doubt that most of this drama would have been avoided if the chapter didn't start with the two ex-lovers. The trope itself is annoying

The trope of history.

showing the trope in play, with two characters that should be together being friends, having happily accepted it but not moved on

How do you know they haven't moved on? The queen calls herself happy.

joined Jan 14, 2020

...girl didn't Mao end this people what are landlords doing there?

Oh for the days of yore when we didn't have landlords, we could sing songs of the great revolutionary hero's as we farmed in the fields living on bugs as we starved to death.
But at least we didn't have landlords.

Don't forget your backyard steel production and weekly self-criticism meetings!

joined Jan 14, 2020

Abolish monarchy, because it's bad for the royals!

nothing pisses yuri reader more that the guy winning the “women” through forced marriage WHILE the EX-girlfriend is an bloody happy hanger talking with a smile about her EX child(that was the result of forced marriage)

What ex-child ? What does that even mean ? Momo is born from the king and the queen, not from the queen and the tailor. And the forum is so far the only place i've seen peoples being pissed.

I think they were saying that the queen's ex-girlfriend (the dressmaker) is standing there smiling about her ex's child (the queen's daughter, Momo).

But yeah, hard to tell, it's not exactly coherent text.

joined Jan 14, 2020

...girl didn't Mao end this people what are landlords doing there?

So, there were these economic reforms in 1979, led by Deng Xiaoping, that allowed for more private action and inequality and also led to massive economic growth compared to Mao's famines...

joined Jan 14, 2020

Now we see if Bi-mom can accept Lesbian daughter and let her live happily or if the drama finally finds a way into this.

It's less about accepting whether the daughter is lesbian and more about accepting (or not) that your royal child doesn't want to partake in political alliances.

Akagami no Shiraryukihime is het, with a male prince in love with a commoner girl, but has the same issue: she's a commoner. Even though Zen is the second prince, That's Not Done. Usually, anyway. Much of the manga is very, very, very slowly maneuvering things so that Shirayuki is a plausibly acceptable wife, in the eyes of the first prince/king who is not inclined to romanticism, and whose approval is necessary for his younger brother's marriage (short of running away to some other country).

I expect this manga will end just handwaving away the point.

joined Jan 14, 2020

The bloop. THE BLOOP! Why must we be teased! Is the mermaid real or not?!

I wondered about that too.

rainbow8
joined Jan 14, 2020

Imagine having the money to buy rings and a 20k yen Christmas gift, not in my third world country

It's been said that was a typo, and that the raws say 2000 yen, or US$ 20.

Looking at Amazon, apparently you can get shiny rings for about the same money.

rainbow8
joined Jan 14, 2020

having sex

We don't actually know that.

rainbow8
joined Jan 14, 2020

"Health course", 20,000 yen.

joined Jan 14, 2020

"Is this sexual harassment?"

yes, but you're not the one doing it

rainbow8
joined Jan 14, 2020

It's so weird to have this series at 'will they or won't they' after so very, very long where people were insistent that they already were and that anyone asking for confirmation was being silly.

What are you even talking about? "Will they or won't they" what?

"Have sex", perhaps.

More generally, we've debated about whether they were in something like a standard romantic relationship, and the manga has recently answered that with "no".

As for this chapter... can't tell the difference between coffee and hot chocolate? Kasumi is an alien!

last edited at Jan 21, 2023 1:08AM

rainbow8
joined Jan 14, 2020

This arc continue to make me irrationally angry

Irrational only because it's just a story. If it were a real situation, anger would be quite rational.

Kase's decision has already cost the couple materially (missing a nice apartment). Not to mention the lack of concern for her partner.

joined Jan 14, 2020

So they managed to live together, but one to a trade school, the other a University. Maybe Japan has so many schools that there is always one for every city block...especially neither of them drive.

Japanese apartments are advertised with how many minutes walk they are from a train station.

By one survey, only 27% of trips in Tokyo are by private car. https://www.sc-abeam.com/and_mobility/en/article/20201203-01/ And those probably are biased toward the outer edges, families, or workers who regularly need to carry stuff.

If something is set in a Japanese city and they're not explicitly shown driving, you can assume they're getting around by foot, bike, or public transit.

joined Jan 14, 2020

I don't remember BL coming up in anything I've read or watched, let alone BL fans getting together.