Forum › Posts by Akaii

Akaii
Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

I feel like Subtext would be a more appropriate tag since there’s nothing really explicitly romantic about their interactions

"I decided I wanted to take care of her for the rest of my life".
"If there's only one person you want to show your smile to, it's time to stop being an idol".

Yes. I also think that one of them should have shouted "SESBIAN LEX".

The moon was beautiful that day, too.

Akaii
100% Butt discussion 08 Apr 20:29
Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

No butts on page 19

Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

So much for "Chinese censorship doesn't allow sexy yuri"

Unless the author actually lives in Taiwan or something.

It's censored on Weibo. I'm blindly guessing the crabless version was posted briefly somewhere for grabbing or PMed to the interested parties.

Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

Arita is clearly leaning forward in the car to distract the adults and give the girls some space for sneaky handholding by blocking the rear-view mirror.

Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

Has this promo-interview with drama CD's cast been posted yet?

伊瀬さんは今回「Creep」の歌唱パートがありました。

owo

Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

Oh, I like this artist, they have another manga called "Schadenliebe" with the same girls (or very similar) with a similar plot but a bit darker.

Where can i find this?

There's an official English version up on Lilyka

i was curious about this but RIP the link

Lilyka got merged into their other digital store, emanga, last year.
https://emanga.com/products/schadenliebe?variant=31123296387162

Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

So is Mihiro's family name Hitachi like on the chart or Tokiwa like they say in the chapter?

ときわ / tokiwa is a non-standard reading for 常陸 (her name) in this chapter. ひたち / hitachi is the normal reading and is used elsewhere in the manga. If it's not a typo, it's probably a nickname or a joke based on overlapping Hitachi and Tokiwa train services or their namesakes.

Akaii
Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

Looking for a manga where a guy that loves yuri turns into a woman i think but he's devestated because he believes no man should be in yuri?

I Love Yuri and I got Bodyswapped with a Fujoshi! ?

Akaii
Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

Y'all got any good recommendations with MILFs?

Did you mean manga body type, minimum age, somebody with children, or (step)incest?

Akaii
Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

Could someone recommend me mangas where the two characters are a couple, they fight and split up (and I mean an actual fight, not a peaceful breakup), then either one of them vanishes from the story completely while the other moves on to another partner and ends up happy, or they both stay in the story and find their own partners and end up happy?

Something like Lily Love and its sequel and the whole thing that happened with Ploy in those two works,

Ring My Bell is pretty much that (the fight part is a bit delayed but it's there too)

Wish You Were Gone if you don't mind the previous partner being male and him not disappearing immediately. The advice on it seems to be to switch between the fan translation and Tapas' expired-licence official translation whenever one of them gets too confusing.

There are breakups (including a messy one with a whole season of angsty fallout from it), broken hearts, moving on and a happy ending in this webcomic, but I don't remember if there's a single chain of events exactly as you describe it present.
Good luck hunting down a complete and readable translation if you want it in English, though (for reference, it's 150 chapters long). There was one on Youtube, but the translator's channel appears to have been banned.
Additionally, here's a minor spoiler to explain a side plot that the story starts with but that isn't conveyed well (either it's lost in translation or a cultural reference that went over my head): there's systemic bullying/hazing with the freshmen being regularly herded by older students into a hall and forced to waste time sitting there, that's bizzarely tolerated by everyone and which the main chracter wants to avoid.

Akaii
Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021
Croa76-1774451600330797348-img1

The bait appears to be them announcing on April Fools that they're married. The image was included in the tweet.

Dunno if this tweet and this one are direct replies to the backlash. Navigating Twitter in its current state without an account is hell.

Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

It seems the April fools' part was releasing it as NSFW under the sister group's banner, with

Koishi NTRs despite having Satori’s baby!? @_@

for the release note.

Akaii
Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

In the future chapters there's a good view of Iyobi's immediate surroundings, but as far as I can tell it's manga-original stuff.

Sneak peek: the nude everybody's been waiting for

Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

This is sweet but I'm wondering when we'll get back to Mistuki's threat of leaving.

The sale is to quickly make money for the ticket. /doommongering

last edited at Mar 31, 2024 2:42PM

Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

Forwarding another user's find, Osaka Kei is a duplicate of Aisaka Kei.

Aisaka is correct according to their circle's Melonbooks entry. Osaka was probably translator's guess using a more common reading.

Akaii
Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

Hello, I'm looking a one shot where the protagonist starts dating her best friend's younger sister and both of them are really shy. The protagonist's best friend is a tomboyish girl and the younger sister is like "I wish I acted like her"

Mira's Fluffy Feelings?

Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

With such a small quantity, why does it take a quarter for a new volume to arrive?

That I don't know but here's a few guesses:

Might be a balance between paying the staff and the artists/authors (and indirectly, the assistants they may hire to speed up drawing), and getting enough sales to cover that (starting safe from the lack of existing customer base or a very popular work/author they could successfully use to for advertising, and considering changing to a quicker schedule only when the profits permit for it).

Might be that the staff for it is shared with the publisher's more important magazines/activities and they're testing the waters with a low-initial-investment side project.

Might be because KTC is not a big-name publisher.

Might be in hope of attracting more experienced authors who are already busy with ongoing series or have developed health problems from overworking themselves and wouldn't be able to create another thing at a quicker pace (they wouldn't have to worry about negotiating deadlines when the default is already slow enough).

last edited at Mar 29, 2024 10:27PM

Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

Just vaguely curious here: is there a manga term (yes, I know this series isn’t Japanese) for this “person gets a chance to live their life over” genre, parallel to “isekai,” etc.?

Tensei means resurrection or something like that, hence all the "isekai tensei - reborn in another world". While not quite full starting over, one could consider "trying again" a tensei perhaps?

Thanks! The genres are definitely related, albeit this is “reborn in the familiar world.” I haven’t actually read many of these, but I’ve seen plenty of series blurbs about “Pathetic SOB wakes up and is back in middle school/high school, etc.”

There's imprecise sci-fi lingo that's applicable to any work of fiction:
タイムスリップ (time slip) - which means time travel, but due to the existence of multiple terms meaning the same thing being wasteful, some define it as time travel that is involuntary or accidental, or involuntary/accidental travel of your consciousness into your past or future body, or travelling with your present body (so you can meet your past self and have an age gap selfcest threesome with your school crush, or wake up as yourself in the Sengoku period)
タイムリープ (time leap) - coined by TGWLTT, can be a synonym for time travel, but it also gets described as just your consciousness time-travelling, or that but as an ability you can control
タイムループ (time loop) or just ループ (loop) - self-explanatory
タイムトラベル (time travel) is all of the above, but with the preference for the other terms it could also mean using a time machine specifically
タイムトリップ (time trip) is a less common synonym for time travel

Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

By the way, the magazine that published this manga has just been published, right? I see the issue in the magazine is only up to volume 3

It is new, although not as fresh as the translation. Launched in February last year by KTC, digital-only, four quarterly issues so far, with no Kopeko in December's vol.4. For works that feature cute girls and that aren't 18+ (those that were in the first issue should be yuri, since it was included in their slogan before they changed it).

The magazine's bio on Ef implies she's been stitched together after all.

Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

Sorry for the wall of text.
To not digress too much - Arita's remark is good as it's one more person who wouldn't mind Mitsuki opening up about her interests (and the author won't get comments pointing out that he's in the know).

--- animal talk below ---

I think it's a bit much to claim that it happens "worldwide", unless you've actually studied on this?

It was a generalization that in contrast to Japan other places may not emphasize animal-ness to the point shown in the previous paragraph, but comparisons to animals can still be found in other forms (not necessarily in the moe-kawaii flavor, not necessarily the types I listed equally represented - though I do think they're basic enough to have at least token presence everywhere - and not necessarily in the same manner for each country/region).

The first paragraph gives examples how loaded with meaning/traits certain animals are in Japan (it's then logical they'd find their way into everyday interactions as shorthands for said traits, and from there some may take them a bit more literally; trying to imagine a specific breed as a subcategory of unique traits might be out there too as an expansion of the original concept, but it may also be imported dog breed stereotypes mixed in). The second paragraph, which you could view as supplementary and not as a direct continuation of the answer, is what kinds of animal-calling you can find elsewhere instead (with specific examples being all idiomatic). I suspect we may not be in disagreement here?

And to clarify just in case - I also didn't mean getting accompanying vivid imagery of animals when looking at people (it's a visual trope specific to the medium, for chances of it happening to real people we'd have to ask neuroscience - or maybe psychology).

It's not a real expertise, just me putting together stuff starting with cultures I'm familiar with, what I've read on adjacent topics in the past (I have an interest in linguistics, if it amounts to anything) and checking for animal-related language in about two dozen languages from different parts of the world. If you live in a place where animals exist, and your language allows for similes/epithets, then it's inevitable somebody would combine the two together at some point, whatever the purpose of that may be. If there's a dominant culture or religion present that has a say on specific or even on all animals (praising or vilifying them, seeing them as equal to or strictly lower than humans, etc.), then that'd affect their use for that purpose accordingly.

I've encountered some studies on specific topics like why a branch of insults would be animal-related (it, possibly obviously, often boils down to the intent to dehumanize the recipient), but I don't recall anything thoroughly global in its scope. Nevertheless, I believe there should be some language evolution research out there on the use of comparisons to things our ancestors were familiar with in communication, and a different study on the prevalence of animals in symbolism, that would argue for those two being universal.

The reason I specifically used "pet" rather than "animal" in my comment was because in my country I've only heard of people being compared to animals in a derogatory way (pig, chicken etc.), as you and others mentioned. If I heard someone talking about dog or cat energy I'd think they've probably been influenced by US (or Japanese) media.

I did miss this implication, sorry for that.

I wasn't considering such a distinction because while some animals may be commonly taken as pets, they aren't universally pettable (just for dogs you have some breeds that are known to be cute or friendly, some that an average person considers scary/intimidating/more dangerous, wild or stray dogs that many would be wary of, some cultures that don't think of dogs fondly, in several languages a whelp and a puppy are a single word that also shares the former's meaning of an insolent child, "pet material" range differs from person to person, and so on), animals that aren't domesticated or suited for being pets, and the discussion started with why it's common to liken people to animals in manga (with dogs/puppies and cats being given as examples, and they're the most common, but comparisons to other animals happen too and you can also find ones that aren't flattering or cute among them, like somebody being seen as a barking/growling guard dog or students thinking a well-built teacher resembles a gorilla).

To me "you're as loyal as a dog" also seems insulting lol. It would sound to me like they're calling me a blindly obedient. I'm not sure if it's personal or cultural in this case, but, for the record, most of my family agreed.

It'd be "(as) faithful as a dog", I think, but I'm unsure if it's an independently-evolved English phrase or an import from one of the other languages that share it.
Loyalty/faithfulness (to a person, a cause, or a belief) in the sense of being particularly devoted and reliable and trustworthy, which is viewed as positive because nobody wants a backstabbing friend/relative/partner/underling that can't counted on. It could be used for a person loyal to something you perceive as wrong (where you're not calling them stupid for not noticing they're in the wrong, but acknowledge a virtue they profess), and for the negative type of loyalty you'd use "blindly loyal" or "blind faith". I haven't myself encountered it being said directly to the person it's meant to describe (I'd expect it to be about somebody being talked about but not talked to, e.g. "oh, there's no way Max would cheat on Alex with that sexy/hunky co-worker he's with on a week-long business trip, he's as faithful as a dog").

Specific expressions like this one are idiomatic and take time to form (their spread relies on cultural exchange with neighboring lands, culture pushing in case of territories of former empires and big, old religions, and groups of migrating people used to their own idioms spreading them as calques), so they may not work as well when directly translated or taken out of their native habitat (but you can probably find the concepts behind them expressed differently in your language/culture - in this case it could be reliability based on another critter, a sturdy object, a historic/mythological/religious figure famous for it, or maybe a predictable natural phenomenon).
Sorry if you already know it and the explanation was unnecessary.

Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

Perhaps it's a cultural thing.

Japan is indeed passionate about it. More recently, they mapped personality types - especially that of your partner - to animals (a cat person, a dog-like boyfriend, etc.), and before that there was categorizing facial features specifically (e.g. dog-faced). Telling somebody they're like a certain animal can also just mean they're cute.

Worldwide, you can compare somebody's behaviour to that of some animal (mad as a hornet, a dog in the manger. lazy as a bear, eat or look like a pig), be given a pet name after a shared trait or vague resemblance (puppy, tiger, chipmunk, conejito, chaton, Mausebär), offend by calling somebody an animal that has negative traits associated with it (in English you can even verb animals: chicken, rat, leech, ape, bug...), and notice similarities between pets and their owners.

last edited at Mar 24, 2024 7:54PM

Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

I honestly have never looked at a human person and gone "Wow, she's just like a cat." Or "He reminds me of a puppy!" But I see this all the time in manga. Maybe all these manga characters have more imagination than me...

really? ive been called a puppy half my life lol

Yeah, its typically an energy and personality thing.

Plot twist: @beeaggro is actually a 4-year old shiba inu. >__>

dog