Forum › Posts by Blastaar

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

And if this were only this one work in which this happens then I would shrug it off and contribute it to either executive meddling or the author's own repressed homosexual desires. As it stands though, this kind of attitude is pervasive in Japanese popular media, and it frankly sucks.

Except for all the yuri stories, of course.

last edited at Mar 2, 2021 12:24PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I’m firmly in favor of this story however the author wants to tell it. As I’ve said before, I think the most impressive thing about it psychologically is that the author avoids the “to realize a personal problem is to solve it” trope.

Realizing that you’ve been stunted and isolated from others by trying to be perfect is important, but it doesn’t mean that you’re suddenly able to open up and be comfortable interacting with other people—it’s just the first step in what is likely to be a long, hard (and often scary) slog, and there will be inevitable setbacks and backsliding along the way. In that regard this series is considerably more sophisticated than most “teenage personal growth” stories in popular culture.

All that being said, there are indeed many points at which, as a yuri reader, I want to say, “Just fucking kiss already, you fucking useless lesbians!”

last edited at Mar 2, 2021 9:47AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Not sure why everyone is hating on this. There's room for lots of stories in queer media and allowing for ridiculous situations such as this is a part of it.

Not being down on anyone for their reactions—they are what they are—but, yeah, some stories are obviously intended to reflect social reality to some degree, and others, like this one, are like patchwork trope machines, where the author assembles mismatched sets of pre-fab narrative components and sets them running to see what crazy things will happen. (That “Lots of Tsundere Twintails” story—which seems to be gone from Dynasty—would be one example of the latter.)

You had me worried for a moment there, but it's still here.

Ah--I just searched the directory--forgot that one-shots aren't listed.

As to the chemistry sets, yes, grayish-brown muck with a bit of fizz at best. Not unlike the worst of the "manga as off-kilter trope machine" stories, as this one may turn out to be.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Not sure why everyone is hating on this. There's room for lots of stories in queer media and allowing for ridiculous situations such as this is a part of it.

Not being down on anyone for their reactions—they are what they are—but, yeah, some stories are obviously intended to reflect social reality to some degree, and others, like this one, are like patchwork trope machines, where the author assembles mismatched sets of pre-fab narrative components and sets them running to see what crazy things will happen. (That “Lots of Tsundere Twintails” story—which seems to be gone from Dynasty—would be one example of the latter.)

(I used to do something similar with chemistry sets when I was a kid—I’d perform the first couple of experiments like the instructions said, then start mixing things together to see if anything would explode.)

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

OK so real question here:

Is there any people who can remember someone they "met" months ago? I'm very bad at this (took months to remember customers that comes everyweek at work, and I still can't remember their name, it's been 2 years) so I just don't get it and this trope always feels off. I mean, didn't she had million of things that could have replaced the image of this random girl in her head? Even though she thought she's pretty and all.

You’re mixing up two things here—remembering a name and remembering a face.

In the flashback, Koguma still doesn’t know Hino’s name; she just recognizes that the girl in her first-day classroom is the same person who handed her the paper she dropped when the test results were announced.

I have quite a bit of difficulty putting names with faces, but I often remember the mere fact that I’ve seen a particular person before, if I took special notice of what they looked like the first time.

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

You may be small, Koguma, but you’re a lesbian, and you fell in love at first sight.

So just go for it.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I find it interesting that when Iindou asked Suzuka about the reason behind the order, she got chewed out, but when Kagami asked the Major about the order, the Major actually answered the question. I wonder if it was because of how Kagami phrased her question, or who she asked.

I think the difference can be explained by the pretty obvious fact that Kagami’s mom was some kind of significant figure when she was in the military, so Kagami (who, until she went ga-ga for our puppy, also seemed to be an exemplary soldier) gets the kid-glove treatment herself.

On the other hand, no one except Kagami and her mother seem to be aware of Indou’s connection to the apparently legendary Chiyo (Indou’s mom), and Indou is just a raw recruit at the bottom of the totem pole anyway.

Who Chiyo was, what happened to her, and what her relationship was with Kagami and her mother are the outstanding mysteries of the series. (Well, we assume Indou had a father as well, but this seems to be a yuri world where males do exist, but don’t matter to the story very much.)

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Screw it, I'm calling this confirmed. Don't fight me on this, I will cry.

I see no other way to see the letter, especially the last line. Doesn't get much more explicit for this series.

You can't go saying "you're my frog" and "The moon is beautiful tonight" to a girl and then feint innocence xP

Couples saying "You're my frog/you're my salamander" counts as a common-law marriage in some jurisdictions.

Blastaar
Liberty discussion 22 Feb 23:29
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

This is perhaps the only manga I legitimately like to hate-read, mostly because I think it's hilarious the author seems to think she's endeared these characters to me, while actually having made me hate them irrationally. But it's even getting hard to enjoy the hate-reading with 12-page chapters coming out every 3 months in which absolutely nothing happens!

Yeah, I agree, while acknowledging that the desire for more or quicker installments pretty much embodies that old joke, “This food is terrible—and such small portions!”

But I think you’re quite right—lots of manga series feature dislikable characters, but creating such dreadful people who we’re obviously supposed to care about is a fairly rare achievement.

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Sometimes this thread is like with those Japanese soldiers who refused to surrender after WW2–every so often a Seju shipper comes wandering out of the jungle, half-mad from loneliness and frustration, still swearing undying loyalty to the Empress.

War’s over, folks.

I just finished the manga, can't help it! Well, Seju is my favourite caused she is the prettiest in the manga! However, I'm happy that Sumin got married with Sungji in the end! But it not fair that Seju gotta stuck by her own curse that she will never get married unless it with Sumin! Sumin and Sungji are endgame and it's the best but Seju is being single for the rest of her life, it kinda cruel for a pretty lady!

Upon further consideration, the code of bushido requires that you return to the jungle, keeping within your heart the fiery struggle of the fighting spirit that can never be quenched until the One True Pairing between the Sacred Goddess Seju and her rather short and comparatively mousy Chosen Consort is ultimately achieved. Banzai!

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Sometimes this thread is like with those Japanese soldiers who refused to surrender after WW2–every so often a Seju shipper comes wandering out of the jungle, half-mad from loneliness and frustration, still swearing undying loyalty to the Empress.

War’s over, folks.

Blastaar
Liberty discussion 22 Feb 16:41
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Maki waking up from a psychotic break cause she actually ran over Liz in the first chapter?

I like the way you think here. This has the advantage of rehabilitating the fact that I liked this series very much at the very beginning, so I wouldn’t be so ashamed of my past self for having been so thoroughly duped.

Plus as a bonus, Liz would be run over.

Blastaar
Liberty discussion 22 Feb 10:51
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

"Why are we still here? Just to suffer?"

All life is suffering, sayeth the sage—but JFC.

Blastaar
Liberty discussion 22 Feb 10:49
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Truck-kun, we beseech thee—head-on, two fatalities.

You don’t absolutely need to also get Maki crossing the street, but—your choice.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Haruki: "It feels like I'm doing something really messed up."

LOL Ya think?

I'm usually not a fan of emotional-trainwreck yuri, but I'm kinda loving this one. I just hope the "who's a good person" readers don't blow a gasket trying to identify the admirable moral center character in this situation.

If someone is searching a good character, they have picked the wrong manga. The only good character so far is the male teacher and i don't think he is suposs to have much importance beside for Mochida.

People do seem to have an easier time just sitting back and reveling in an “everybody’s messed up” story when it’s a fantasy world or a thriller. As long as bad choices keep leading to interesting scenes, I say keep ‘em coming. (Or not, as with Haruki this time out.)

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

LOL Ya think?

I'm usually not a fan of emotional-trainwreck yuri, but I'm kinda loving this one. I just hope the "who's a good person" readers don't blow a gasket trying to identify the admirable moral center character in this situation.

(❋⊙‿⊙❋)
Blastaar-san, did I mention that you write the bestest posts? 'cause you do.

Thanks—I’m glad you think so. I seem to do best with those who share my “stories as artistic constructions” orientation as opposed to the “stories only as transparent windows into the lives of imaginary human beings” readers.

I have enough real-life people to get pissed off about without adding any fictional ones to the queue.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

The only thing nearly as charming as this are all the author’s other series.

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

All Kaoru's moves were aimed at finding an excuse to carry on being close to Uta without having to feel guilty.

What is your textual evidence for this assertion? The entire premise of the story from the start is that Uta loves Kaoru and Kaoru loves Uta, but the nature of the “love” each one feels is not the same.

Starting in Chapter 1, we learn about Kaoru’s feelings toward Uta: she loves her deeply as a friend and as a family member; she finds her comforting and reliable; she relies on her emotionally. When Uta leaves, Kaoru wishes that things could go back to the way they were.

Kaoru responds to Uta’s love confession by saying: “I’m sorry. I’m grateful for your feelings. But I can’t respond to them. I can’t accept them either.”

Absolutely nothing in the text from Chapter 1 to Chapter 37 indicates that the nature of those feelings change—certainly not the climactic scene in Chapter 36, where the only changed feelings are Uta’s, who previously thought it was too painful to be around Kaoru but now is willing to put up with the pain of living with Kaoru despite her own feelings.

Until the supposedly non-canonical epilogue, the text tells us that a) Kaoru wants to be with Uta, and b) Kaoru’s deepest wish is that Uta’s romantic feelings for her would just go away.

last edited at Feb 20, 2021 9:41PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

LOL Ya think?

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I'd also like to say that I consider that it was an important distinction that it wasn't that Kaoru needed to get drunk to unlock feelings for Uta... as her words and Risako's make clear, it had been weighing on her mind for quite some time before that, she had even been trying set up an opportunity to talk to Uta.

Which she told Risako about every time she got drunk.

Nevri:

Again, I feel like we read different stories. Are you sure you're commenting in right thread?

I don't think Dynasty supplies separate threads for headcanon.

EDIT: Remember back when people were idiots for not realizing that the story wasn't about Uta and her feelings at all, but was completely an ensemble piece? Good times, good times.

last edited at Feb 20, 2021 10:52AM

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I never quite understand complaints about “lack of progress” in series where the couple starts out together.

Sure, I get the desire to see more physical intimacy between characters, but in episodic stories about high school kids there’s a lot more comedic material to be generated keeping things fairly chaste than in ramping up the skinship or, as in this case, normalizing their public relationship.

“They’re dating but it’s a secret” is the whole founding premise—when that goes away, it’s likely that the whole series goes away (which may be where the presence of Abe-chin is pointing anyway).

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Third wheel. F

A third wheel who happens to be in a girl-girl relationship.

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Citrus Syndrome
As long as the MCs got together in the end, there were always some readers who wouldn’t care how it happened, no matter how implausibly, no matter how disconnected from way the story developed, no matter how much authorial handwaving it took.

Kaoru’s specifically sexual feelings for Uta—we had almost 50 chapter equivalents, and those feelings are directly presented in a handful of pages in an asspull epilogue.

But they kissed, so all is well.

last edited at Feb 17, 2021 10:03PM

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins posted:

Everyone understood that they got together

And now it turns out they actually were not together.

Yea. Didn't bother to post it in reply, but the half the reason people were pissed at the ending was that the status of relationship wasn't even clear. Like sure, most people were assuming that they got together, we had no clue when or how, but they did.

And just to clarify my statement that everyone knew “ that they got together” meant “together” only in the most literal sense—they were both living in the same apartment (and without numbnuts onii-san). Hence my complaint about not knowing the conditions under which they were together—even a shot of Kaoru’s welcoming, blushing face might have clarified the relationship.

So it’s been a year of emotional torture for Uta, staying late at work to avoid going out for dinner and drinks with Kaoru, huh? Looks like Kaoru snapping gay should be quite the load off for our long-suffering little cutie.

Blastaar
Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Well, I have to give it up for my now-departed sometime-sparring-partner Matsuri_wins, who on Oct. 22, 2018, in response to one of my “who the fuck knows where this story is going?” posts, said:

Well...technically at any moment the author can solve the problem by having Kaoru and/or Uta drink a lot and simply make out with each other.

And so it came to pass.

last edited at Feb 16, 2021 2:19PM