Forum › Posts by Purple Library Guy

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

This seems promising. 18 chapters so far, you say? Well, jolly good, carry on.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

damn some people are really ungrateful! some guy went out if his way to translate a dropped manga and all some people can do is complain! If you want a better TL do one yourself .imo I liked the translation, although it was a bit weird in some places. it was something different from all the robotic and stiff TLs some people do.

You , I like you. I think the same, this manga has been dropped for quite some time and finally someone started translating this again but this ungrateful ****** only like to complain, It was the first time I saw something like this, I can't believe people would complain like little kids about the translating of a DROPPED manga

You know, I very very rarely criticize translations. I sit still for spelling errors, awkward constructions that don't work in English, even bad grammar. But there has to be a limit somewhere, and this hit mine. As long as you're getting personal, I would in return go so far as to say that anyone who doesn't criticize this translation has no taste, feel for the English language or ear for dialogue.

last edited at Mar 31, 2018 4:03AM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

7: "but why then she said she doesn't want to live with me" should probably say "but then why did she say she doesn't want to live with me"

Mmm, idk, do you all guys find all the sentences awkward? To me they sounds perfectly fine.

It's not an uncommon way for people to talk on the internet, but it's bad grammar. I've never heard anyone use that construction in real life.

Also, "Hella" seems to me like some regular English word.

It's currently very common slang, but quite recent--I don't think anyone ever said "hella" before max 10 years ago unless they were talking about the Norse death goddess.

Some people like joke-y translations, I guess?
Hrm. The translation was amusing I suppose, but done to one of my favourite mangaka the disrespect kind of pisses me off.
If you want to screw around, do it as a secondary version.

I don't have any problems with people criticizing me and being rude, but I just want to clarify
that there's some misunderstanding.

I wasn't planning to do a "joke-y" translation and i didn't want to "screw around". Like, i don't find typos funny or anything, i just screwed it up couse ama bampot. And i was completely serious doing all the stuff, and I don't really understand what you're annoyed about, (except the typos and some odd grammar from time to time, ovcorz.)

My apologies then. I suppose I assumed that using regional slang was a sign of considerable fluency, and so using it somewhere it really didn't seem to belong must be some sort of joke. I retract my annoyance.

What's with all the cussing? And the use of weird words? I feel like this was localized by a 7th grader.

Obscene words. Well, sorry, but i don't have any problems with them, actually i really love them. These are the language's instruments to express strong emotions and i see no reasons not to use them, especially when it's already 18+.

I have no objection to obscenity as such. So for instance, if an original work contained obscenity it would be a bad translation not to have it. But I had doubts, which certain posters' alternate translations reinforced, whether there in fact was any in the original. I have read a Morinaga Milk manga in which a character in a bunny suit was sodomized with a carrot, and I don't remember any profanity in it. Even "Passionate Electric Waves", where characters become able to see other people's often obscene inner thoughts, had lots of very crude and shocking stuff coming out of people's heads but not much obscenity as such. I don't think Morinaga Milk uses much obscenity. Putting it in if it wasn't there in the first place changes the tone of the manga.

Dialect . . . is tricky. As a general rule, though, it's my opinion that any piece of translation which is consciously "cool", which draws attention to itself flamboyantly, is probably bad. People are reading a story; if the translation is all, "Look at this, it's a translation!" it will pull them out of the story, jar them away from suspension of disbelief.

Well, i can actually give you some hints so you don't waste your time, you can check the 2 last pages if you want: as i said this "winning the cat" thing is driving me crazy, it may be that just i just missing something...

I don't speak or write a word of Japanese . . . well, OK, one or two standard words that manga often don't bother to translate, but that's it . . . however, over the years I have gotten fairly familiar with quite a few Japanese idioms. I'm suspecting that this is some variant of "I can't win against her". If so it's a common-ish Japanese expression which seems to mean something along the lines of, um . . . "My resolve to be emotionally inflexible and Japanese-stoic cannot hold against her" or something like that. I have a feel for what it means after seeing it used a bunch but it's hard to sum up. But I feel it would fit the situation.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Hrm. The translation was amusing I suppose, but done to one of my favourite mangaka the disrespect kind of pisses me off. I don't really have a problem with being rude about it; this is clearly not a case of people doing their best and having insufficient skill, this is a case of people deciding to screw around. If you want to screw around, do it as a secondary version. As things stand, it's kind of a "fuck you" to people who like and respect the mangaka, so you gotta expect some annoyed reactions.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

The first time I got hit was absolutely terrible. It was a body shot and crumpled me right up. But the first time I got hit in the face was a whole different experience. And then the first time I got hit in the face multiple times was another whole new experience.

Funny, the first few times those things happened to me (well, in a one-on-one fight, not just being bullied) I barely noticed. I was hopped up on adrenaline I guess.

Current villain is, as many people have mentioned, over-the-top silly. I just cannot take her seriously. "All-Rounder Meguru" this is not. Of course that's not really fair because "All-Rounder Meguru" is probably the best realistic martial-arts manga I've ever read.
Hamster is certainly cute though. And even if I can't take Doctor Evil Girl seriously, it's still satisfying seeing her take that big punch.

last edited at Mar 29, 2018 3:22AM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

That 'we are dating' fan is amazing.

I don't see why they couldn't have used it :D Just flash it at the horn-dog boys when they get too fresh!

I like post-amnesia Arisa a lot more than the pre-one. Same for too Mari-san, she was such a bottom before

Well, but I like bottoms!
. . . Um, I mean . . .

Purple Library Guy
Touma-kun discussion 26 Mar 03:03
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

johnb posted:

that double standard bothers me.

I think most people here have double standards like that. If it is yuri, it is k or at least it always make it better compare to other options. I know I do and I'm not bothered by it at all since I consider girls superior anyway.

I also disagree with the quote "If everyone is special, then no one is special" Everybody is special in their own way You just have to find it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's kind of awesome that Touma can see, the beauty, in all girls.

So funny I just remembered about this yesterday. The issue is it invalids the meaning of word "special". If everyone is "special" or "one of a kind" or whatever, then that word really loses its meaning. Obviously everyone is different, but when people say special, they have a very specific meaning in mind, so saying to you everyone is special is pretty much like saying everyone is equal and that is not what those girls want.

I think this is a little too reductive and mathematical. It's true that what the girls want from Touma isn't the same as what she can give them, so sure, those two kinds of "special" are different. But that doesn't mean that Touma-kun's special is meaningless. It just has a different meaning.
And saying everyone is special does not mean nobody is. The assumption is that spreading out the specialness leaves you with the same neutral feeling for everyone--that the only way to feel positively about anyone is to feel less positively about someone else. But that's not true. Looking in the other direction for a moment, it's clearly possible to consider the entire human race completely worthless, to in fact feel negatively about all humanity. I've come close to that myself in cynical times of my life. On the other hand some people seem to really like other people on average--Mr Rogers, say. So there isn't a set total amount of regard you can have for people, that just gets divided differently. Different people, or even the same person at different times, can definitely have more or less total liking for people. So I would say Touma-kun really can consider a lot of girls special.
I also think there can be different kinds of "equality". You can have a mass of people who all conform and don't stick out. That's equal, and nobody involved is special. Kind of depressing. But, I play tabletop roleplaying games. We sit around the table and nobody's the leader. But the secret to having a good game that everyone enjoys for a long time is, everyone should have their chance to shine, everyone's individual style should be acknowledged, everyone's character should have their specialty, everyone should get a chance to pull off their own gimmicks. So in my RPGs, everyone is equal--but they are all different and they all stick out, they all have something special going. So that's a different kind of equality, and it's totally compatible with specialness. So I don't think you can treat "special" as just some kind of numerical thing where if one person has more someone else must have less.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Oh look it's this story again. Nice. I'll never get tired of reading the same cute story

Exactly.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Maybe it's a supernatural story where she's somehow got memories of someone else's life.

Had an hypothesis, looked closer at the end, realized it was wrong. If it's a reincarnation thing it's pretty dumb to end it there--really, what does that add to the story? It just makes it totally unresolved.

last edited at Mar 11, 2018 3:22PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Thus, a new credit card commercial was born.

"There are some things delinquents can't sell. For everything else..."

...there's Yuricard.

Purple Library Guy
Their Story discussion 09 Mar 13:21
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Hurrah! It's confirmed--current scene is a genuine continuation! And, Qiu Tong being all embarrassed is ludicrously cute!!!

Purple Library Guy
Their Story discussion 07 Mar 13:23
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Eh, the author has been going through drama with the publisher of the book version of their comic being censored by the government, so maybe this is their way of coping? I am also eager to return to the plot, but it's not like this is the first time the series ever had out-of-sequence intermissions.

Was gonna mention this as well. They probably have a lot on their plate right now in terms of mental stress and actual solution searching around the fact that they can't share what they want to in the physical. So I feel like this is the alternative to not getting anything at all while the author sorts things out personally and with the publishing.

I'm just hoping it doesn't signify that they have basically been forced to knuckle under and getting deeper into things is now banned.

Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Wait, that was a guy? I just figured it was one of those "prince-type" girls!

Purple Library Guy
Tremolo discussion 20 Feb 03:15
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

These old school manga have the most unrealistic art. I'm too experienced with proper manga to believe Japanese people have noses

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

She Just had an orgasm, didn't she?

I 100% believe this.

That fireworks metaphor seems pretty direct to me.

Purple Library Guy
Their Story discussion 08 Feb 03:18
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Every once in a while, we get the reminder that there are less free countries... The US is ruled by a group of mostly old conservative men, but even they dare not mess with our freedom very much. Most of Europe is similar.

China seemed like it was just like the western world because it became rich, but a crackdown like this shows the truth - it's not a free country. I hope this doesn't get worse.

While China is not a free country, I think you're a bit overoptimistic about the US. Freedom of speech isn't messed with very much. Freedom of assembly is seriously limited, freedom from unreasonable search and seizure is pretty much gone, as is simple freedom from being arbitrarily thrown in jail, particularly if you're not white--although so far the dominant way this is applied is random rather than political. And, of course, if you're black they can just shoot you down like a dog because they feel like it. So really, most of the components of your Pinochet Chile style state are there, except you're allowed to complain about it.
Actually, if you're black, the US is a far more oppressive police state than China--the US' massive incarceration rate, as skewed to over-represent blacks, becomes a serious daily risk factor. I mean, the incarceration rate is far higher in the US than China for everyone, but for most people that still doesn't represent something likely enough to feel like a major constraint on freedom. But for blacks the chance of a negative interaction with legal authorities becomes so high and its nature so arbitrary that it really seems to be experienced as a significant level of oppression at a practical level.

Freedom-wise, what's changed in the US lately is that LGBTetc got to at least partly leave the stepped-on crowd; blacks and the poor and to some extent Latinos are still there and Muslims recently got put in.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

...., where they actually start dating before the final chapter

Please no. They should start dating ASAP, and not at the cliched end of the fucking series point.

Also, where the fuck is more of this?

Think you missed the word "before" in the comment you're quoting. Also the reference to that thing of awe, "Ore Monogatari" in which the dating starts pretty early in the story. Warning: Ore Monogatari is not yuri, in fact the male lead is so incredibly beyond manly as to be a parody. But, it's very sweet and funny and has awesome art and great characters and (foam foam foam) . . . ahem. Well, you get the idea.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

When you're rich and horny and gay. Go go Hishikawa-chan!

I don't think she's actually rich. Near as I can tell, she works a part-time job and saves every penny in the forlorn, not to say moronic, hope that she can actually use this to get sex with the other girl. The dedication, if nothing else, is impressive. Hence the "You're saving all your money for this, don't you have anything else you might want to spend it on instead?" stuff.

Purple Library Guy
Kase-san discussion 04 Feb 19:48
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Kase has always had a harem. She gets flooded with chocolate on Valentine's Day every year.

It's one thing to be surrounded by nameless, faceless admirers. It's another thing when they have names and faces. Hopefully this doesn't mean Takashima has run out of ideas and is going to start introducing love rivals.

As if. Anyway, this has never really been an idea-driven series (and all the better for it).

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

So we've finally seen a man in the Mochiverse. OK, it's a woman's virtual avatar, but . . .

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

well, this is why u don't associate urself with bisexual lol

You mean horrible people?? It has nothing to do with bisexuality.

Ya. Cheaters are cheaters. Don't see how it would have been so much better if that teacher had been dating an adult woman.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Surprisingly sweet and touching for such a ridiculously artificial premise.

Purple Library Guy
Their Story discussion 02 Feb 12:24
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

C) "It would be wasteful to put them on right away"? It's not like your old glasses have to get worn out. It's a freaking fashion choice. Seize the glasses! Carpe speculum! (wait that means something else)

I know, but that's not him. I can see his position. First, he's thrifty--thrift is a traditional virtue and he wants to own it because he's a traditional guy (quite likely an actual Communist in the old school Mao sense, as opposed to whatever the Chinese are nowadays). So there's this "I should nurse a bit more use out of the old glasses" schtick.

Second, haven't you ever had something really nice, like maybe a grand marnier truffle or something, and instead of just snatching and eating it right away you want to savour the anticipation for a while, look at it and think, "You are mine, I can have you whenever I want, muahahaha!" before actually going for it? The enjoyment of actually eating it will be the same either way, but the anticipation ends the moment you take that bite.

Tattletale is actually an interesting character to me. He really shows off the author's touch as a storyteller. I mean, he's basically a comic relief character--he's the butt of jokes, he's at odds with most of our favourite people, he's to a fair extent defined by his lack of a sense of humour and the stick up his butt. He's a Squidward, except morally self-righteous instead of cynical. Many comedy writers, whether mangaka or webtoon or TV sitcom or whatever, would leave it at that--he'd be this completely one-dimensional person seen in purely hostile or mocking terms. But if you look at Tattletale's bits, this author makes him more than that. There's a sympathy there. In a weird way there's something awkwardly heroic about him--his uncompromising stance, his refusal to be swayed by the things normal people find important. He's steadfast to his ideals and his peculiar vision of how things should be through thick and thin. So you get things like the flag incident. That's more interesting. But also it says something to me about the writer--there's an empathy there and a commitment to real characterization that is part of what takes this a step above a lot of what's out there.

Purple Library Guy
Their Story discussion 02 Feb 12:04
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Makes no sense anyway. I mean, let's say at some point the series had a genuine erotic scene (as if...), and the publishers would say "we need to cut that out", then that'd still suck, but people could (most likely) say "yeah, fine, doesn't change the plot" ... but without the confession, how can the plot go on? Nothing that'd happen afterwards would make any sense. If they ever ended up together it'd be completely "how the heck did this happen?!"

Ridiculous all around (well, censorship usually is).

What gets me is, if they were going to have a hissy fit about a confession, just what exactly did they think they were publishing in the first place? All questions of "whether it's OK to censor" aside (and it's not like that's only in Communist dictatorships; in North America we've had the Comics Code and some Hollywood rules about what movies were and were not allowed to be about, such as criminals were never allowed to end the movie having gained from their crimes and so on--and that's not even getting into questions of "obscenity") uhm, where was I? Oh yeah, leaving aside whether it's OK to censor, how did these dorks blunder into publishing something that it was totally obvious from the beginning they would have to censor if they censor that kind of thing? Any ten year old would have been able to tell you it was obviously going to have confessions, kisses and so on sometime . . . from pretty much the first couple of chapters. Actually, from before there were any chapters, when it was just some pictures of the two of them looking cute and/or elegant.

So are these publisher guys morons or what?

(OK, I know actually it's probably more a matter of different hands not knowing what each other is doing, so it gets popular and then controversial and the senior executives notice and come along and try to fuck it up and whoever actually approved it in the first place is like "What are these people nuts we've got good sales going here!")

last edited at Feb 2, 2018 12:08PM

Purple Library Guy
Their Story discussion 28 Jan 00:58
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Wait . . . all this worry and she was just a bit late?