Forum › Posts by Purple Library Guy

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I remember reading an article where someone tallied all the winning conditions of each weight class in the major BJJ tournaments, and found that lower weight classes were much more prone to scrambles. That is, positions were kept for a very short amount of time. This is because smaller people are more agile, and are pound-for-pound stronger as they can lift proportionally more of their body weight. No-gi is also a lot more slippery than gi.

But it's still surprising that Hana could instinctively use the hitchhiker escape without being caught in an inverse armbar or triangle however. Especially against an opponent of Aki's caliber.

To be fair I'd figure it's quite a bit harder to apply stuff with one arm. Even aside from the other arm not being available to use, the fact that you're used to having it would throw you off.

It is true that smaller people can be really squirmy. I remember taking Jiu Jitsu and there was this one guy, youngest in the class, a wiry little adolescent . . . doing the ground fighting stuff he had no chance of beating me, or most of the rest of us--just not strong enough. But he was almost impossible to immobilize; you couldn't make the guy tap out, he was just constantly squirming free and also very flexible so pressure that would force most people to tap still left him with some play to escape. And he never gave up. I was kind of the same when I was his age, actually.

last edited at Jan 18, 2018 3:13AM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Seriously what the hell is wrong with Aki? Hanaka very clearly wants to get stronger but she has no confidence because she's new to this. That has absolutely shit all to do with her determination. And shitting one someone who's new to a skill for somehow not being good enough is one of the shittiest things you can do.

I said in Batoto before it recently imploded that if it was my martial arts (or, really, anything else) club, she would have already been gone before any of this could happen. What, three people she'd already intimidated into leaving?! If she wants to have moronic bullshit rules about who gets to learn and who doesn't, she can start her own club. If she's going to be in MY club, she treats everyone with respect or the door is over there.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I'm finding I really don't care if anything much is happening in this. I'm not expecting it to be a classic like the original, I'm just pleased to be saying hi to old friends, as it were.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

God I hope the plot of this isn't here's some random man for the more insecure girlfriend to get jealous over becuase im sick of that trope.

Oh ye of little faith. These youngsters who don't know how to properly worship Morishima Akiko, honestly. Like she ever lets a male character get in the way.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Yeah, it was subtext at max, maybe yuri crush if you look reeeaaally close, but not yuri at all.

Well . . . it wasn't subtext exactly because there were some overt things, in one or two cases quite overt. But it wasn't really yuri because those things didn't go anywhere, like, at all. Maybe . . . Yuri supertext? Yuri footnotes?

Still moderately fun.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I gotta say I've fallen in love with this protag, she's the fucking cliche / trope destroyer. I feel like in every chapter when drama happens, she just doesn't give a shit and pushes through. When time I get worried she might run away and get into an emotional crisis like every other MC she just runs up to her edgy waifu and smacks some sense into her.

I've been feeling exactly the same way. Girl cuts through the angst like a cheerful chainsaw. So refreshing.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I miss this. There are few manga/hwa/hua/webtoons that I actually think about after they stop, but this is one. Hope the author is alright, but to be honest it's more like I wonder how the characters are doing even though I know they're not actually alive.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I have not made any ad hominems. Suggesting that someone's argument isn't realistic or that they are in denial is not an ad hominem. Argumentum ad hominem is a logical fallacy whereby you attack someone's character to discredit their argument, and I'm not doing any of that. My argument that Reiichi is clearly cheating is based on the evidence which I cited in my post.

It is, Heavensrun, AD HOMINEM.

No, it literally isn't. Ad hominem does not mean "I feel offended by what you said". It's a specific term with a specific meaning.

Your argument is perhaps technically accurate, but still basically silly. Let's stipulate for a moment that you are not committing the fallacious argument technique of using a claim about someone's personality in an attempt to establish that what they say is false. Indeed, it appears almost the reverse--you're using your assessment of the inaccuracy of someone's stated beliefs as evidence for saying something negative about them personally. It doesn't make everything better.
The reason people object to the use of "ad hominem" in web conversations is not that they object to fallacious arguments. The reason people object is that it's rude to insult people and it leads to heated exchanges and people getting upset.

First of all, suggesting someone is in denial about something isn't even an insult, it's an assessment of their rationality.

Of course it's an insult. Why would something not be an insult just because it's an "assessment of their rationality"? Calling someone crazy, or a moron, et cetera et cetera are "assessments of their rationality" but obviously insults. Further, something does not stop being an insult merely because it is true, or you believe it to be true. Take Dick Cheney, for instance. I think the facts publicly available make it abundantly clear that the man is vicious, ruthless, deeply dishonest, powerhungry, greedy, and heartless. Indeed, for those who believe in the utility of the term "evil", I'd say a near consensus could be found for its application to that man. Even conservatives hate his guts. And yet, if I call Dick Cheney an evil, heartless, deeply dishonest, vicious, powerhungry money-grubber that is an insult. It doesn't cease to be an insult just because it is demonstrably true. It is an insult because it is a negative statement about the man.
If you say you are right and someone else is wrong, you are making a claim about the facts of the case. If you say they are wrong because they are in denial, you are making a negative claim about their psychology. You are saying there is something about them that makes them prefer a falsehood to the truth. Preferring lies to the truth is normatively considered bad, either evil or weak. Thus, it is an insult --whether it is true or not.

So, fine, you didn't use an ad hominem argument--you were just rude and insulting. Don't be. Also, when you say something not nice to someone and they get upset, don't spend paragraphs of sidestepping logic explaining why their objection has technical flaws, apologize for not being nice.

As as side note, I myself am convinced that the evidence is abundantly clear that cheating was going on, and in fact it's pretty much a definite that it was systematic long term cheating. So I agree with you on the facts of that issue. Just not your unnecessary extra.

last edited at Jan 11, 2018 10:55PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Was she lying about not remembering the incident? Or did she remember everything when Uta handed the phone to her... Everything seems so random right now but i'm still hooked, i need more!!! ;;

It did seem like she might be just pretending not to know, or hiding the truth from herself. What I figure is that, if she doesn't remember it yet, she'll certainly remember it very soon.

I thought it was pretty plain that she remembered on page 26. Up until then I'd say she had genuinely forgotten; on p.25 she's coming up with mistaken ideas about what happened, "That means I was with Risako that time..."
Then on p. 26 she looks at the cell phone, her expression is in shock, you've got the "really bad shit happening" background effects, and she then needs to hold Uta and starts crying. Page 26 is the memory-return moment.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Looks like actual short term memory loss that got resolved rather than the full-blown amnesia cliché, so I don't mind that much. The cheating plot is more bothersome.

Unlike full blown amnesia, that kind of temporary memory loss after an accident is, I understand, quite common. And I do think it works well dramatically--gives the author a bit of room to maneuver and pull off certain scenes before things blow up, but doesn't ultimately evade the issue.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I guess now that this story has come out as a gutter-tier garbage soap opera, I can stop expecting more and just enjoy it as such.

That seems a tad extreme as a reaction. I've read some Korean dramatic manhwa (never actually watched a soap opera) . . . I would take the ingredients for soap opera to involve multiple interlocking relationship complications and ongoing sequences of improbable (mostly negative) events.
One husband cheating on one wife is neither multiple, nor interlocking, nor (above all) improbable.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

This was actually really good. In some ways I found it more powerful than the main story.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

The cousin is sexually abusing her, isn't he?

That was my first thought too. I've read too many stories like that to not feel horrible vibes from him.

Yeah, me three got that impression. It's amazing what a mangaka can do with a little quirk of the mouth and an offhand comment or two. We all suspect the hell out of him for no substantive reason, but there's no way it wasn't deliberate.

last edited at Jan 10, 2018 1:39AM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Dumb. Hentai logic is one thing, but this just smacked me in the face with how much nothing anyone did made a lick of sense.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

How many more chapters are there left in the series? I'm kinda tempted to reread things because I'm fairly lost at this point but if there's not that many I'll probably just wait instead.

Not much ever happened, really. I always wanted to like this a lot but ended up only liking it a little because it had just enough plot that I wanted it to spend less than 9/10ths of the time being aimless. And it was so completely episodic that even if there was what seemed to be a significant development, next chapter it was as if it had never been.
There was a confession, sort of. But then it was immediately forgotten.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I've been seeing a lot of these types of doujinshi crop up over the years (particularly centered around NanoFate)
A tissue thin plot of maybe 2 pages of why they're on the couch/bed/bath followed by mostly samey sex. I feel like I can splice one or two of the NSFW NanoFate doujinshi pages that Nanashiki has previously made into this iteration and barely anyone would notice the changes. If feels like we're going through the same motions Groundhog Day-style

I can think of a few reasons why that would be the case with NanoFate. The thing is, while the anime never explicitly describes them as lovers, it does I believe have them in an amazingly close rock-solid relationship, cohabiting, and raising a daughter together. So there isn't a ton of room for plot there--the doujin world basically considers them wife and wife because, well, they pretty much are.
I also think that, how to put it, nobody wants to inflict plot on them because everybody loves them. Plot involves conflict, difficulties, drama, tension. Nobody wants their beloved NanoFate to be having that kind of thing happen; everyone finds their deep, stable true love very comforting and wants to support it.

So stories about them tend to be heartwarming slice-of-life vanilla, whether with sex or without. You don't read (or write) them for excitement or suspense, but to feel that relaxing "Ah, NanoFate are so sweet together, at least something is right with the world" feeling.

And I agree with you. Slice of life vanilla romance is my jam. I want to find every single iteration of it on this website. But this isn't that. This is a very lame reason to get NanoFate in nightwear.
If, for instance, this doujinshi had maybe 5-6 pages of, say, Nanoha getting childishly pouty about not having new nightwear, them going out and buying new ones (perhaps Fate going into the changing room to "make sure she's alright") and them hurrying home to try them for each other, THEN we get to where this doujinshi started: I'd be a very happy NanoFate supporter
Plot doesn't always have to be dramatic. Many times it's used to flesh out characters or build context on plot points.

Your points are solid.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I've been seeing a lot of these types of doujinshi crop up over the years (particularly centered around NanoFate)
A tissue thin plot of maybe 2 pages of why they're on the couch/bed/bath followed by mostly samey sex. I feel like I can splice one or two of the NSFW NanoFate doujinshi pages that Nanashiki has previously made into this iteration and barely anyone would notice the changes. If feels like we're going through the same motions Groundhog Day-style

I can think of a few reasons why that would be the case with NanoFate. The thing is, while the anime never explicitly describes them as lovers, it does I believe have them in an amazingly close rock-solid relationship, cohabiting, and raising a daughter together. So there isn't a ton of room for plot there--the doujin world basically considers them wife and wife because, well, they pretty much are.
I also think that, how to put it, nobody wants to inflict plot on them because everybody loves them. Plot involves conflict, difficulties, drama, tension. Nobody wants their beloved NanoFate to be having that kind of thing happen; everyone finds their deep, stable true love very comforting and wants to support it.

So stories about them tend to be heartwarming slice-of-life vanilla, whether with sex or without. You don't read (or write) them for excitement or suspense, but to feel that relaxing "Ah, NanoFate are so sweet together, at least something is right with the world" feeling.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

[...] it just has me worried about the mental state of the author talking about mass murder shootings and cannibalism among other things.

How dare they be curious, it's a mortal sin!!!

More seriously, it's fiction, you can imagine everything without wanting to do it. Doesn't mean they're mentally unstable or whatever. Obligatory irrelevant example : Peter Jackson made several (really) gore films before doing LOTR, and he looks like a nice guy with a happy life!

By an odd co-incidence, he also made a movie about a pair of very close female friends in their teens who commit a murder. It's quite good, actually. "Heavenly Creatures"

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Somehow I doubt the manufacturer would have splurged on that much performance in a model that has no use whatsoever for it...

"Accused of willful negligence in the death of 73096 people Sexbot Inc released a statement claiming that equipping their latest series of companion gynoids with flamethrower breasts and rocket launcher arms 'seemed like a good idea at the time'. In other news ... "

Hee!

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Robot might kill me because a pressure sensor was gummed up and the welcome home hug contained 10000 newtons of hydraulic force.

It's like people being scared of self-driving cars (or trains etc): nearly all car accidents are happening because of human error; same for trains. Yet we are far more scared of some mechanical/Ai failure, which ultimately would be or will be far less likely ;)

It's not entirely about the actual risk level. It's also about the perception . . . and reality . . . that you have some control over that risk. People like to feel in control of what's going on. If you drive a car and don't want to die, you can drive defensively; it won't necessarily work, but careful drivers do have far fewer accidents. If your car drives itself the risk level is what it is--high or low, you are helpless to make a difference. Blank Mage was just saying that robot risk leaves you less in control than people risk, and I'd say it's true--we've evolved to estimate and counter people risk; robot risk, not so much.

That said, I doubt anyone's going to make sexbots with superhuman strength. You know how much it would cost to make your sexbot even capable of generating that much force? Actually, if it's battery powered it's probably impossible. Real sexbots would mostly be built wimpier than normal humans and generally not be very good at violence. Even if they shorted out on you the voltage probably wouldn't be heavy enough to kill.
(and control or no control, I'll totally go for self-driving cars so I can read while the car does the driving)

Back at the manga, I liked it.

Purple Library Guy
Their Story discussion 28 Dec 00:45
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Well. Cute Christmas bit, but
"Can't . . . hold . . . on . . . much . . . longer!"

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I don't think there's a lot of doubt about the cheating. When you lie and say you're on a company trip but actually you're in town and on the arm of your hot ex (and oh yes, as Seira points out, celebrating your birthday with said hot ex instead of with your wife), I don't think there are a ton of plausible explanations for that. And it doesn't seem like it would have been some kind of one-time slip, either. He's been "working late" and "away" a bunch recently. Quite simply, he has been systematically neglecting his wife so he can fuck someone else.

What she does about that is up to her. But I would not find leann123's solution at all a happy one.

last edited at Dec 26, 2017 6:29PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013
Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Well, I don't like either of these people.

You are not expected to.

this was sooooooo good i love it when relationships are treated as messy and weird and like real life fuck shit for once

Fix'd it for ya...

Gosh, after 52 years I've suddenly learned that all this time I wasn't living in real life!

last edited at Nov 24, 2017 7:21PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

"Likes to look at videos of puppies on her day off."
Oh, come on! Seriously. Kids in manga these days. Always so freakishly prim and proper and ... boring.

But yeah, they are cute.

Well, you can just assume that "puppies" is a code word for "lesbian sex". All better?