Forum › Posts by Purple Library Guy

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

ergzay posted:

Wow so many people misunderstanding that last page. It's not Yandere and its not a lead into some kind of Violence. She's realizing she loves Mimika and she's deathly scared now as she's slowly realizing it. She's scared about what the feeling inside her means (keep in mind this girl hardly understand what the word "love" even means). If you suddenly had an emotion that you never realize you had, you'd be scared about what's going inside yourself as well.

I know, I'm playing with the idea, who hasn't fell in love here? IT IS actually scary how hard you heart can beat, you think it will break your rips

It's not just that. Yuzumori is a self-reliant, independent person. She's perhaps even towards the "I am a rock, I am an island" kind of schtick. Now suddenly her happiness is massively dependent on somebody outside herself, she is hugely vulnerable to the vagaries of that person's feelings for her. Really, love is a very frightening thing. You give someone your heart, and who knows WTF they might do with it.

Purple Library Guy
Candy Boy discussion 20 Apr 12:52
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

This is simply the single best twin yuri story ever, id almost say it's the best yuri story in general too

I dunno about that second part. Maybe you just need to read more yuri stories in general. (As do we all!)

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

People are emphasizing downsides here, but surely there are up sides to having real humans that you know and trust involved in things as well. Community, extended family, that kind of good stuff. Our society's lack of that stuff is one of its greatest weaknesses and creates a lot of anomie, alienation, mistrust and unhappiness, and LGBT people tend to be in need of strong, loving community more than anyone.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

"Friends". Sure. Bets on how long that's gonna last?

I bet you my yuri goggles that Yuki falls in love by chapter 7.
Fingers crossed that this reaches the 20's.

Also I love your avatar. If I recall correctly that's Joker from his and her circumstances?

It is. I've been using it for probably 15 years now and you're the first person to ever identify it.
I like the character, but mostly it kind of looks like me, which is pretty rare for manga characters.

last edited at Apr 5, 2017 10:53PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

"Friends". Sure. Bets on how long that's gonna last?

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Is it just me or has Miss.Sunflower finally got it?? That's she likes her~

Seems like she still didn't. The virginity is too strong in Miss Himawari.

I don't think that's really how it is, on two fronts. I think she has had a realization this chapter, and I also think all this time she has been less virginal than stuck in the past mourning her lost love.
Page 21 lays it out. They've been talking about the view between the fingers as showing loved ones in the past. She looks, sees (in her mind's eye presumably) her past love, and then that fades leaving her looking at the present, at her present love. And then, "Did you see something, Himawari-san?" and she answers, "Yes. I saw you." This in the context of a literary discussion which identifies what you see as a loved one; she doesn't say "No, I didn't see anything"--she says, "I saw you."

She knows what she's saying. This isn't a matter of reading the atmosphere or picking up on interpersonal relationship cues, it's a reading thing, and she gets reading things.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Is it just me or has Miss.Sunflower finally got it?? That's she likes her~

No, not just you, I felt that way too. And not just that . . . it's like she finally felt like she could step forward and live in the present, let go of the past a little.
Beautiful chapter.

Purple Library Guy
Beloved. discussion 03 Apr 23:20
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Oh, yeah, that. Urgh. I've always hated that plot device although this character has a better excuse than most.

Purple Library Guy
Beloved. discussion 03 Apr 13:22
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

If you look at the tail of the speech bubble in that panel, it seems the girl was asking the Doctor to buy a new carton of eggs. The Doctor then replied that she would buy more eggs, but she purposely chose not to. The lack of a new egg carton (and the emptying egg carton) foreshadowed the limit on the girl's stay at Doc's home and possibly an attempt to end the relationship. If the Doctor had bought more eggs, then it would be safe for the girl to believe she can stay longer because someone has to eat them.

Eggs = a promise of a place to be. She figured it out.

I think the metaphor was a somewhat heavy-handed in its presentation, but it was helped along by existing network of associations surrounding cooking as a sign of domesticity and companionship, and eggs as fragile things that are inevitably and necessarily broken. Add in the art showing a bleak, sterile view of the cartoon sitting in the refrigerator, being used up one by one, and it was a very effective and compelling symbol for the chapter.

I'm not a subtle-minded person, so I appreciate when metaphors are heavy-handed. ;)
It doesn't hurt that it works on a purely literal level--looked at one way it's a metaphor, looked at another it's simply an important clue that gives a character information, just like a clue in a mystery story.

Purple Library Guy
Beloved. discussion 03 Apr 00:07
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

That scene with her tying her shoelaces felt downright uncomfortable. Wei Wei isn't a bad person, and she isn't some sort of sexual predator or anything. But dis girl is toooo yooooung for her, and she knows it. This isn't a love affair, it's Wei Wei having an early midlife crisis and shacking up with someone that she doesn't really have any true connection with. She's not in love, she's reliving past love.

For that matter it's not even clear that the girl is actually in love with her either, it seems like she's at least partly seeking an escape from her home, although we don't know why yet.

Like, this story is about a relationship between two people, but so far I don't think it's really correct to call it a romance. We're not really supposed to be cheering on this relationship, even though we can root for both of the characters the story keeps pointing out all the ways in which this is totally not a healthy relationship.

There's some force to this, but I think what makes it a good story is that it isn't entirely true. For Wei Wei--sure, it is a crisis (although she's still too young for it to be "mid-life"), and yes, she's reaching for something in that girl that isn't entirely about her as an individual. And yet at the same time, it is a love affair, and there are individual things about that particular girl that do attract her and hit her emotions--things she does, things she says, things she is. It's not an either-or, it's a both-and, on a sliding scale. In fact, I would say the big question the whole story is working on answering is just where on that scale is the relationship, and where on that scale will it end up?

(Also, I really don't think she's reliving past love. To the contrary, she's trying to exorcise past love)

And the same is true for the girl. Sure, she's reaching out for someone because her life sucks and she feels abandoned and lonely. Well, and don't we all. But is she reaching out for just anyone? Could she, would she have fallen for no matter who? Surely not. So just where is she on the scale between "one true soulmate" and "any port in a storm"?

Finally, there's one more question--so, say for both of them they've sought each other out to try to fill deep emotional needs and heal major emotional pain, and so they're using each other. OK, so this is not very romantic, and one might even say "not healthy", but what does that "not healthy" mean? Does it mean they'd be better off not filling those needs or healing those pains? They may still both be better off with each other than without, especially as long as they're reasonably generous and caring about the whole thing. Would that girl really be happier going back to her dark room?

Purple Library Guy
Beloved. discussion 02 Apr 23:43
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

11f: "who will really, really, really loves you" -> either "will love you" or "loves you"

Well, the original text did put "really" three times, maybe the translator was trying to keep it as close to the original text as possible (direct translate)

The number of "really" isn't the point. It's just that "will . . . loves you" is bad grammar. It's either "who will love you" (no "s", future tense) or "who loves you" (with the "s" but no "will", present tense); you can stick a bunch of "really" in with either and that's fine.

Purple Library Guy
Kase-san discussion 02 Apr 00:24
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Well, it wasn't the most swellingly romantic consummation scene ever. But it also wasn't a done-to-death cliche scene. It felt kinda real. I know my personal such scenes have not generally been heavy on the dialogue, you know?

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Whoa, those masks look like the interrogators' masks from Brazil.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

On ch. 3 page 4, I'm just going from context but it seems to me it would be "Even if it cures you of wanting to go home?" rather than "Even if it cures me of wanting to go home?"

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/our_journey_to_lesbian_motherhood_ch03#5

and thus the wonderful gift that cristianity gave to Japan has NEVER been forgiven

Still, only about 1% of the population there is actually Christian.

You also don't want to know what Imperial Japan did to Christian missionaries.

It got kind of bad. They saw them as foreign spies out to subvert Japan's way of life and render it subservient to European countries. Which, well, they were. Important factor in the success of colonial conquest in place after place. As they say here in Canada, "When the British came, we had the land and they had the bibles. Now they have the land and we have the bibles."

last edited at Apr 1, 2017 7:58PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

The first two in this collection were pretty brutal, but this one was sweeter.

Also, SFX are definitely the worst. Often they are untranslatable - the original "onomatopoiea" is meaningless in English, the intended meaning has no English SFX equivalent, and putting a whole phrase or sentence in would be unfaithful to the original.

Yeah, like "doki-doki"--what the hell is that supposed to mean?! :p

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I wish there was so much content for me to consume that there would be some real competition here but there's not.

So sad, but so true. The lack of original yuri series is agonizing.

whu? I mean I have my hang ups. I'm picky as hell. but I don't think I'd go as far as to call it agonizing. huh.

This might depend on how much time you have on your hands. I currently have too much free time and not enough money so there needs to be a LOT of content to begin ruling things like this out. I mean, if there was as much Harlequin Romance for lesbians as there are for straight women, I could suddenly be a lot choosier. ESPECIALLY, if the public library stocked oodles of them like they do Harlequin style books.

So the perception of how good the content flow is is altered by the amount of free time and the ability to fill that free time with other enjoyable things such as money for outings, close proximity to friends (okay I moved to a place with no one immediately in my age group and no money soooo this has been trashed), available dates, etc.

Writing this has made me think maybe I should go to the library and check out some straight Harlequins even though I have zero interest in dating men.

Don't do it! Not because you shouldn't read straight romance, just that Harlequins (and actually, most mass-market Western romance) are crap. Read some straight Josei or shoujo manga or something instead.

Writing quality as such aside, Harlequins aren't really romance. What they are typically is a sort of wish-fulfillment, typically through a patriarchal lens. That is, they fulfill the "wish" of women to land the ultimate male--big, strong, rich, forceful, the undisputed boss of the chimp troop. "Fifty Shades of Grey" is actually a pretty typical Harlequin except the dominance themes are more explicit. And what the female leads feel for these males is typically not, or not mainly, love. Generally it is lust, passion, a magnetic attraction to the dominant qualities of this male, combined with gratification that they were the one chosen and often a certain triumph at putting a leash on the big wild game. Often in fact attention is drawn to their active dislike of the person's actual personality, which they get over because they cannot resist the animal magnetism schtick. In a way it's love as greed, very much the romance of unbridled capitalism.

There is a strand in romance manga that can be kind of this way, but it's not dominant. And even the bad ones--there have been some Harlequins that were translated into romance manga, and when you read one of those you really see the difference. Most shoujo and even josei romances actually focus on emotion and personal connection. There's something sweet and touching about many of them that just isn't part of the Harlequin-et-al formula at all.

last edited at Mar 30, 2017 3:15PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I'd like to see more cases where there's a setup like this, but the hidden girl actually understands why the denial girl says what she says. It still hurts, it's still a blow to the confidence, and it's still a reminder of the society they live in. I'm just tired of the stock reaction being to take it at face value that the denial is her real feelings.

things get somewhat like this, involves... TALKING... imagine that? talking... in a yuri manga...
Theres a lot of TALKING about it.

Well I'm glad they're doing something different with it, because my reaction seeing it was an instant "Oh, man, not this again."

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

The "politics" in question are about Rin having the hots for Yuu, he wouldn't have bitten her if he didn't, and the implications of the sexual pleasure when bitten.

Nowhere in the manga does it say that the urge/need/desire to bite someone is linked to attraction tho, neither is it implied anywhere.

it only says that pleasure if FELT when DOING the biting.

ppl just over-thinking this and cluelessly spit-balling.

Ch. 3 Page 8:
"The fact you only want to suck blood from women means that's your preference" (bold in the original)
Ch. 3 Page 10:
"So vampires suck blood from people they find attractive?" "Yeah, more or less"
"So, given that you sucked my blood, does that mean I'm your type?" (flustered reaction)

Neither said nor implied? Really? Looks like it's right there in black and white to me.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Apparently Harpy-chan is the next new piece of bedding. Comfy feathers.
There's a secondary reason no Princess x Anybody romance could really get anywhere: How could you get her to use a bed for anything but sleeping?

Yeah, but that's the problem. The Princess goes through bedding on a daily basis.

Point.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Apparently Harpy-chan is the next new piece of bedding. Comfy feathers.
There's a secondary reason no Princess x Anybody romance could really get anywhere: How could you get her to use a bed for anything but sleeping?

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Just re-read . . . going through it all at once, I was struck by just how nasty Fujiwara was a lot of the time.

Purple Library Guy
Their Story discussion 27 Mar 13:42
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Qiu Tong looks pretty jealous at the end XD Girl realizes she gay

Here's hoping. My bet: Sun Jing totally saw her and did that deliberately to try for a bit of jealousy because she is an adorable, evil shit disturber.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I used to fight heavy in the SCA. It was fun. Never got any good, though, mostly because I didn't own a car. Seriously, packing that armour on transit is no picnic.

My home (Seashire at the time, Barony of Ruantallan now) was known more for its cooks than its fighters. Best garlic bread in the Eastern Kingdom!

Makes sense. Everyone knows Easterners don't know how to fight properly--bunch of roll-blockers. :p

Having fun reading it, got to the end of the chapter and-- What dishonour is this?

Yeah, well you're the one drinking our superior mead and ruin. Shame if something....happens to it.

Heh.

Funny you should mention mead . . . I actually have a friend in the SCA who makes mead. She's been experimenting with different flavourings (and of course can talk one's ear off about the vagaries of yeast).

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Having fun reading it, got to the end of the chapter and-- What dishonour is this?

I hope she just says screw it to the Agrippina school and founds her own dojo to train with people who actually keep their word. But then again, this is Japan, where social conformity beats everything, and heroic characters must join existing institutions to remain so. :-(

...I'd think up and starting a new group from the ground up would be something of a tall order for a mere highschooler anywhere actually...

Though given Kanade's raging idiosyncrasies (or what my young friends on teh Internets might term "best autism"), and the Agrippina sempais sounding like they'd be happy to have her if they could, she's probably just overlooked some minor detail... like actual transfer paperwork.

Or not being enrolled in that school in the first place.

That seems pretty plausible. But it still might be neat if she goes to the smitten maiden's school and starts an order of knighthood there, where the blushing maid can . . . cheer her on . . .
Random, that stuff about the field of the cloth of gold etc. was really interesting.

last edited at Mar 24, 2017 12:04PM