Forum › Posts by Gabinomicon

joined Apr 10, 2023

they really embody idiot couple it's amazing

brother we are no were any were aby progress, what are you talking about? idiot couple? do we even get the other moron thoughts if she is even remotely having ANY romantic feelings? cuz i only see her sipping HARDCORE for an vtuber LOL

This was extremely not subtle so how on earth did you miss it
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_best_friend_who_i_love_fell_completely_in_love_with_my_vtuber_self_ch36#2

No that was incredibly subtle. I think there needs to be even more flashbacks of the protagonist to be crammed in there before the message is clear on who our girl depends on for support…

This is why stories have characters say things bluntly all the time, or repeat themselves endlessly.

"You can't just tell the audience who you feel gay for! That makes me angry!"

joined Apr 10, 2023

they really embody idiot couple it's amazing

brother we are no were any were aby progress, what are you talking about? idiot couple? do we even get the other moron thoughts if she is even remotely having ANY romantic feelings? cuz i only see her sipping HARDCORE for an vtuber LOL

This was extremely not subtle so how on earth did you miss it
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_best_friend_who_i_love_fell_completely_in_love_with_my_vtuber_self_ch36#2

Gabinomicon
joined Apr 10, 2023

Interesting that they kept the vest of the teacher disguise while reshaping it to fit a new body, but did change the pants to a skirt. I guess the camouflage difficulty mentioned got in the way of fully imitating the school uniform?

Gabinomicon
joined Apr 10, 2023

Sorawo isn't dense and they're not an idiot couple. She knows how Toriko feels about her, Toriko explicitly told it to her face at the end of the "self-responsibility" arc. She just doesn't know how she feels about how Toriko feels because she's got a bunch of shit she's dealing with. Remember how she has no living relatives and the last ones left she was preparing to burn them alive and they just died before she could do it? This girl has had a world of shit pushing her away from being a well adjusted self aware person.
It's something actually all three of our main characters have, an acute scar from the death of loved ones that makes them afraid to get closer to other people to the same degree, because they associate love with immense pain. Kozakura has a monologue basically saying this explicitly (she talks about how much she tried to resist getting close to Sorawo and Toriko because she doesn't want them to hurt her the way Satsuki did when she disappeared, and how anxious she is about them now that she does care despite herself every time they go to the Otherside), but I can't remember where it was. I think maybe in one of the extra stories you get with the manga volumes.
Edit: one piece of it I can definitely cite: the scene where they first take the AP-1 to the Otherside, Kozakura tells them that every time they go she has to steel herself for the possibility that they won't come back.

last edited at Jul 23, 2024 3:16PM

Gabinomicon
joined Apr 10, 2023

autism representation in yuri and yuri-adjacent anime/manga has been everywhere lately huh

My theory is that authors writing what they know got more severely internal in scope thanks to the pandemic. Fewer interactions with neurotypicals to inspire characters results in more of the author ending up in there, and artist types are pretty heavily skewed neuodivergent in one way or another.

Gabinomicon
joined Apr 10, 2023

And now begins the best hot spring filler episode ever

Gabinomicon
joined Apr 10, 2023

Find it strange tbh to see people still call a character who resembles me irl an "unrealistic martyr" lol. Sadly I'm sort of used to it since I regularly see people decry my body type existing in fiction as inherently objectifying.

joined Apr 10, 2023

I got the impression that Ui's look wasn't "jealousy" but "I put myself out there to find two new members and you're gonna cause a bunch of drama and chase them away even after being shot down repeatedly!? >:("

joined Apr 10, 2023

Aya being very strong, ignoring the fact that a love song always certainly about her from her crush is written on that board lol.

joined Apr 10, 2023

That's really surprising, given the standing of the author and the quality of the work. Wonder what kind of things are going on behind the scenes...

Gabinomicon
joined Apr 10, 2023

This series is so good. I love how youthful their expressions of falling in love are, it's sooooo cute.

joined Apr 10, 2023

Nanase's profile at the end is kinda hilarious in how much it demonstrates she and Yuni are doomed. I mean c'mon favorite type is "a girl who's always smiling"? lol

Gabinomicon
joined Apr 10, 2023

Ain't gonna work out in the long term. The black-haired obviously still has a sex drive but just trying to act cheerful/pretend everything's fine for her gf's sake, but she's gonna feel unfulfilled in the long run.

This reads like an asexual woman's fantasy about the unrealistically ideal lover. Kind, pretty, compassionate, all-understanding without ever needing anything for herself. In fact, it looks like she always puts her needs after those of her girlfriend. And she says exactly the things asexual women want to hear the most in the way they most want it too. She doesn't feel like a proper character, she only exists as wish fulfillment for women like the MC.

She's definitely portrayed as basically perfect but one-shots aren't typically where you can expect a full 3d long term portrait of a character, especially when they're not the single main character. Dunno how that means they won't work out though. I'm not ace but if I had to choose between "no more sex with your gf" or "break up with your gf" I wouldn't find the choice difficult to make and I seriously doubt I'd regret it. I've gone years single and it somehow didn't kill me, so I'm pretty sure I can cope if I needed to. That might not be everyone but it certainly makes the character in the manga feel plausible to me, lol. Like sure, sex is great, but it's not as rare or special as a great romance imo. You can deal with the former on your own, you can't do that with the latter without becoming one of those "printing out my waifu so I can marry her irl" kinds of nerd

joined Apr 10, 2023

Loved the first two episodes, the actor playing Hiroko is killing it. I love how over the top a bunch of the scenes of Ayaka feeling frustrated over her coworkers paying attention to Hiroko and crowding her out are, when the one with the phone chest mounting thing happened I figured it had to be a dream sequence but nah, Ayaka's unique perspective on the world just makes shit come across as cartoonish lol

Gabinomicon
joined Apr 10, 2023

The current ch21 and one of the ch20 versions on Mangadex was not done by us. We accidentally uploaded ch20 too early on both sites a few days ago and took it down for more edits. Our edited ch20 version was uploaded just now. Apologies for the confusion and enjoy the chapter.

Thanks for your work!

Gabinomicon
joined Apr 10, 2023

Is that the version that got posted here and then removed? I don't particularly care about "sniping" if it's an earnest effort (reading two different interpretations of a work can be genuinely really interesting sometimes, like I read both ongoing translations for the trans manga "Until I Become Me" and both translators are cool with each other for example) but I would like clarity on who's doing what work. The big problem I see with sniping is "This high quality manual translation takes slightly too long each chapter so I'm gonna jump on this series with some AI slop and a link to my donation page" and having clear attribution helps avoid wasting time on garbage like that

last edited at Jul 17, 2024 12:20PM

Gabinomicon
joined Apr 10, 2023

How does that work? Does she hate it or is she just apathetic?

Yeah... that's the thing. It doesn't work.

She cares for her, but she doesn't love her. It's an entirely doomed one sided relationship. Areo Ace people can deeply care about and love people, but they can't ever be IN love with them. That's the aromantic part of aro-ace.

Functionally, she might as well be straight.

Asexuality and Aromanticism are related but distinct identities and lots of people can be one without the other. I don't think this character is meant to be aromantic at all. She's got a couple lines about not wanting to be alone, and how if she wasn't with Jun she'd probably get a boyfriend again, even with the same problem likely to reocccur. I also don't think their relationship is at all doomed or one-sided, there's like zero indications of any looming issues for them by the end. Jun's repeatedly emphasized how she's okay with Iori being ace and loves her for who she is. She technically can't get every single need she has met by her romantic partner, sure, but in practice that's true for basically every couple and expecting otherwise is frequently very toxic lol. It's not like people need a romantic partner to satiate their sex drives, that's such a solved problem that even animals know how manage there :P

last edited at Jul 16, 2024 1:26PM

Gabinomicon
joined Apr 10, 2023

Yeah really confused seeing people react to a chapter that doesn't seem to exist

joined Apr 10, 2023

Was that the lyrics on the blackboard? I'd imagine if they were something that important they'd be translated, so I guessed that was class stuff. Also ooh Mitsuki wrote a love song...?

Gabinomicon
joined Apr 10, 2023

Ah okay, the slash makes the difference lol. Speaking of tags, I wonder if this should have the bisexual tag? The perspective character is obviously not bisexual since she's ace, but she seems to be biromantic, which is an edge case I guess. Maybe this warrants creating biromantic as a tag even

Gabinomicon
joined Apr 10, 2023

Does this actually count as aro? Seems like there's at least some flavor of ro in there lol

Gabinomicon
joined Apr 10, 2023

Straight girls don't actually exist irl, so it's impossible to say what's normal for one or not :P

Gabinomicon
joined Apr 10, 2023

We do not yet know enough about his family, or even whether he and Xiaoen are biologically related (as Kat pointed out, the form of address itself does not necessarily mean familial relation). However, as pure speculation, if Xiaoyang's parents were the ones to give Xiaoen up for adoption, it could be because of the one-child policy, specifically because they wanted a son (this would also raise interesting questions pertaining to previous speculation about Xiaoyang's gender). Both Xiaoen and Xiaoyang would fall under the policy's provisions, based on their age.

The policy was never as restrictive as commonly depicted in western media, in fact, only around a third of the population was actually subject to having a single child. Two thirds of the population, mostly the rural segments, had the right to have two children in case the first one was a daughter and numerous other exemptions were granted.

If Xiaoen's biological parents were urban dwellers, however, they had a fair chance of falling under that third of the populace that was restricted to only a single child.

The way the coffee shop owner specified that Xiaoyang is Xiaoen's little brother and the talk about what little brothers are allowed to do felt pretty clear to me that was more than just honorifics but an actual familial relation, but I suppose it's possible that was just the result of a loose translation or something.

Gabinomicon
joined Apr 10, 2023

Well this makes everything much more clear through implication. And I'm starting to get an image of why Mu Xiaoen has such unhappy feelings associated with her little brother, since it seems very likely now that he's her bio brother, grew up with their bio parents, and likely suffered in the way she would have had her real parents not adopted her away from that family. This would also explain why he's clingy and desperate for affection to both her and her parents.
Dunno yet what sort of darkness exists in Xiaoyang's parents that led to this situation. They seem to have money, so it's unlikely to be severe poverty or something individually debilitating. There's a number of very dark turns the author could take in this arc but hopefully we focus more on Xiaoyang and Xiaoen reconciling instead of detailing his suffering too much. That kid feels like he needs it.

Gabinomicon
joined Apr 10, 2023

You know, I really liked this story when it was two girls' fumbling first steps into human intimacy. That was great.

What happened to that?

Normality and Monsters took over that role lol.