Forum › My Dear Lass discussion

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

This chapter is great and awesome and amazing to such an extent that I'm not going to review it; for, if I did, I would have to analyze every panel and wax lyrical about every single little detail and I'd end up writing a 20-page essay.

I'll just highlight one scene:

In America, romantic mood brings about little hearts.
In Soviet Russia, little hearts bring about romantic mood!
In Maoist China, blue-leaved climbing plant turns into little hearts to match romantic mood and nobody has to bring about anything!!!

Go go China!

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

It's also worth noting that Mu is guaranteeing her apartment (iirc), so there is a somewhat problematic power dynamic there, in so much as Mu could mess with her housing, but given the other factors involved, that doesn't seem terribly likely.

She isn't guaranteeing her apartment, she told the landlady that she would just manage it, so like clean and maintain, do make ready after she leaves, that kind of thing. She wouldn't have any actual power over the rental, just making sure that everything is being taken care of properly.

joined Apr 16, 2022

One thing I realized while thinking about the age gap discourse -- Xiaoen does hold a lot of power over Xingyuan, but it has nothing to do with her age or her position in the town. Rather, it's because she's the only person in Xingyuan's life who's accepted all of her (she has a good relationship with Wang but he doesn't know a lot of what Xioaen knows). She's almost alone, while Xiaoen has tons of people to rely on including both family and friends. This difference in emotional dependence is usually harder to ascertain than other kinds of power differentials, but it's oftentimes even more decisive. That's why, for Xingyuan's sake, finding a community she can trust is more important than entering into a relationship. If Xiaoen can help her with that, I don't think the age difference will be a factor anymore.

La duchesse de Pecquigny
joined Jun 7, 2021

Stop picking on the Wangs, you meanies.

joined Oct 19, 2022

https://i.imgur.com/e2Nel6H.jpg

In Maoist China, blue-leaved climbing plant turns into little hearts to match romantic mood and nobody has to bring about anything!!!

I didn't notice the "cloud of hearts" effect that the leaves create around Xingyuan's head until you pointed it out. D'oh. I guess I'm dumb. :/

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

https://i.imgur.com/e2Nel6H.jpg

I didn't notice the "cloud of hearts" effect that the leaves create around Xingyuan's head until you pointed it out. D'oh. I guess I'm dumb. :/

I missed it as well, I think because it blends in nicely it's so easy to miss haha

last edited at Feb 2, 2023 2:48PM

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

It's also worth noting that Mu is guaranteeing her apartment (iirc), so there is a somewhat problematic power dynamic there

Number one dumbest comment in all this thread, so congrats I guess.

Rude.

It's also worth noting that Mu is guaranteeing her apartment (iirc), so there is a somewhat problematic power dynamic there, in so much as Mu could mess with her housing, but given the other factors involved, that doesn't seem terribly likely.

She isn't guaranteeing her apartment, she told the landlady that she would just manage it, so like clean and maintain, do make ready after she leaves, that kind of thing. She wouldn't have any actual power over the rental, just making sure that everything is being taken care of properly.

I may be misremembering it, but I thought part of the issue was renting the property for such a short time (or without a guarantee of a longer stay) wouldn't be worth it. If it was just a matter of putting in the physical labor to get the place ready and clean it up after she moves out, then it's a non-factor.

You wouldn't happen to remember which chapter the conversation took place in?

Edit: The discussion took place in chapter 10. You were correct that it wasn't a financial issue, just not having the energy to manage a one-month rental.

That's why, for Xingyuan's sake, finding a community she can trust is more important than entering into a relationship. If Xiaoen can help her with that, I don't think the age difference will be a factor anymore.

It's noteworthy that putting together such a community seems to be part of Xiaoen's plan for the town. If that is the case, then it might be interesting to see Xingyuan's take on what she's accomplished and the people she's attracted.

last edited at Feb 2, 2023 7:45PM

joined Apr 6, 2019

It's also worth noting that Mu is guaranteeing her apartment (iirc), so there is a somewhat problematic power dynamic there

Number one dumbest comment in all this thread, so congrats I guess.

Rude.

Tbh there's been a few comments that, objectively speaking, were dumber (about racism in Europe in the 1930s) but they have all been deleted by now—so we can posit in fairness that the comments about problematic power dynamics are the new number one.

last edited at Feb 6, 2023 5:52PM

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

It's nice to see a 27 year old being realistic about someone 8 years their junior (even if she's a bit immature for her age in other ways). 8 years isn't a big deal for like people in their 30s and older, but between an older teenager and someone in their mid-to-late 20s, it isn't a small thing.

Bah. Like people in their mid-to-late 20s are so mature. Still kids really.

Adulthood is a myth ;-)

Mariya%20and%20karin%202
joined Nov 27, 2022

The story, characters, monologues, and artwork are all just so beautiful. I love this story a bunch and appreciate the author / tl notes at the end for cultural nuances.

001q2gaply1h533fjj99pj60sg148tgw02
joined Sep 11, 2021

man the colours are crazy good, really looks like hot summer

Yumi%20sachiko%20kiss%201
joined Apr 6, 2017

Mu gives 0 shit it is with a girl and talks about it freely with anyone. Only issue she has is age.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

What a cute little pig. ^_^

Hehe.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Grandma might be my favorite character, she knows what's up

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

The two things I took away from this chapter... The adorable pig cat mayor and..

Hehe.

joined Apr 15, 2013

I find it really nice that the only thing Xingyuan was worried about, her crush being homosexual, seems to be almost completely a non-issue in this town. It really frees her up to be almost completely shameless in pursuing Mu. Go on kid, get that older lady!

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Grandma might be my favorite character, she knows what's up

Hehe.

Avatar%20tartuffe%20clipboard01b
joined Sep 20, 2022

The adorable pig cat mayor

I must be missing something, why the cat is the mayor?

joined Jul 21, 2020

Grandma might be my favorite character, she knows what's up.

Hehe.

Hehe.

Kaseyamada
joined Jun 28, 2019

Hehe.

Hehe.

Hehe.

joined Dec 13, 2020

Hehe.

Hehe.

Hehe.

Hehe.

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

Anyone wanna bet how long till she eats her words? (⁰͡ ͜ʖ⁰͡ )

Ren%e2%80%99py_logo_6-13-6_200x307px
joined Jan 21, 2023

Anyone wanna bet how long till she eats her words? (⁰͡ ͜ʖ⁰͡ )

Three chapters, four tops.

joined Apr 6, 2019

Please notice how everyone calls the old lady "Grandma Li" but Xiaoen calls her "Li-jie" which means "Older Sister Li" in Mandarin Chinese.

Xiaoen is clearly very conscious of matters of seniority and ranks. ;-) As far as she is concerned, she and that granny are of the same generation!

How dare a 19-year-old baby try to woo her of all people!?

That damn gerontophile!!

Damn, more power to Xingyuan for being able to fix his truck that quick!! I've been stuck under mine on and off all week.

Also hehe.

To reply you must either login or sign up.