Forum › Posts by Omega Deuse

Omega Deuse
joined Aug 1, 2011

Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of the whole vampire esthetic. I don't have any problems with other players playing as vampires, but it's generally not something I want to deal with myself or something I'd want to center a campaign I'm running on.

In terms of White Wolf Published systems, Exalted and Dragon Blooded, in particular, seems interesting. For those who don't know, Exalted is set on a fantasy world with a largely Asian and Indian inspired aesthetic and players take the role of mortals who have been empowered by some form of divine gift. In the case of dragon-blooded exalts, this takes the form of ancestry that can be traced back to one of the elemental dragons.

While technically not published by White Wolf, there's a fan made book called Genius: the Transgression that uses their system and is set in the same world as Vampire, Mage, and a number of other books. In Genius you play as a mad scientist and, in addition to mad science gadgets, there are sort-of pocket dimensions based on what-if futures or speculative futures that failed to pass. I think you can technically run crossover campaigns, with mixed parties, using other books from the same setting, but that can get really tricky.

There are also three non-White Wolf systems I'd be interested in trying.

The Stuff of Legends is an Indie system that's still in development. It started as a spiritual successor to Legend, if you're familiar with that system, and it's d20 based, like D&D, but it is otherwise very different from either of those systems. Rather than choosing a single class, a character's combat abilities are primarily determined by three tracks, while their out of combat abilities are primarily defined by a point based perk system. The end result is a lot of flexibility when it comes to character build alongside more diverse and interesting abilities than you traditionally see in d20 systems.

There's also FATE of Cthulhu, which is a Lovecraft inspired variant of FATE. It's much less mechanically focused than White Wolf's stuff or SoL which can be good for some people. It also has some time travel/timeline aspects which seem really interesting.

Finally, I recently got a copy of Lancer, which is a mecha-themed system from the guy behind the Kill Six Billion Demons web comic. I haven't looked at it in too much detail yet, but it seems really cool and I'm pretty sure it comes with a digital character builder.

I'd be willing to play or GM any of those systems, except for Genius which I'd only be willing to play. (I'm less familiar with White Wolf's system and it's complicated enough that I wouldn't feel comfortable running a fan-made expansion for the first time.) I'm also willing to look at most other systems, except for D&D and Pathfinder, which I really can't stand.

Omega Deuse
Image Comments 27 Sep 15:06
joined Aug 1, 2011
Egnix4fumaaoccx-orig

@Nevri, making a thread for it might be a good idea. Personally, if it's going to be something White Wolf's published I'd rather go with Exalted or the Genius: The Transgression. There are also a few other systems I'd be fairly interested in, but D&D and Pathfinder are things I'd rather avoid.

Omega Deuse
Image Comments 26 Sep 21:14
joined Aug 1, 2011
Egnix4fumaaoccx-orig

Really? I was under the impression that Balderls Gate Planescape Torment were pretty similar to the official rules and they came out in '98 and '99 respectively.

Also, it's probably worth mentioning that Shadowrun is based of of, well, Shadowrun, not D&D. The two systems are fairly different.

Omega Deuse
joined Aug 1, 2011

Boss: "Work on your day off with no pay because I said so."

Me: "Fuck off."

Boss: "You're fired."

Me again: "I said fuck off. I already quit. Shove your unpaid overtime back up the orifice you excreted it out of."

Tip: You may want to skip the "You can't fire me, I quite" line. Forcing your old employer to pay unemployment insurance is a much better FU.

Omega Deuse
Image Comments 26 Sep 19:44
joined Aug 1, 2011
Egnix4fumaaoccx-orig

I haven't played any of the D&D arcade games, but I generally haven't been a fan of the pc games based on it, in part because of mechanical issues with 3.5 and how characters are built, in particular.

That said, if a bunch of people are really interested in playing non-D&D games, I might be up for playing or GMing, depending on what people want.

Omega Deuse
Image Comments 26 Sep 14:00
joined Aug 1, 2011
Egnix4fumaaoccx-orig

It's kind-of unfortunate that D&D is so dominant, because there are a lot of other interesting systems that are much harder to play, simply because everyone has heard of D&D.

joined Aug 1, 2011

I'm curious how often something like this ALL happens in Japan!!!!

How accurate are Mangas?

How accurate are sitcoms and soaps?

Omega Deuse
joined Aug 1, 2011

Also isn't Hamefura is Yuri Bait? Bakarina end up with Geordo* (the prince). Falling for him in vol.5? l

Wait, seriously? That's disapointing, given the entire tone of the first part of the anime and it's opening.

Unless Rei's fanfic is an AU fic, she probably doesn't die.

Not sure what you mean but Rei's fan fic that we never find anything about, has no bearing on the story. The world is following the story of the game Rei was a fan of- but with changes ofcourse since she now has knowlege she shouldnt.

In this chapter she says her fanfic was about Claire making a life for herself after the events of the game. While we don't know much more than that, it does imply that Clair survives the original game, in at least some of the routes.

Omega Deuse
Image Comments 04 Sep 22:42
joined Aug 1, 2011
Etyr_xpucaey3e4-orig

She's being a cat. It's only natural.

Omega Deuse
joined Aug 1, 2011

Yandere vs. yandere?

People keep saying that, but neither of them seem to be yandere style stalkers. They're a bit messed up and rather violent, but it's a different sort of violence.

Maybe tsun(×50)dere? That said, I'm not sure there's really a dere part here, even if they ultimately fall for each other. They're more like characters out of Black Lagoon or maybe Mercialago: Violent and misanthropic as a default, with the ability to act civilized when necessary.

What's more interesting is that the inspiration for this manga appears to be American. Specifically this is a yurified version of Mad Magazine's "White Spy versus Black Spy."

What makes you say that? The only real connection I see is their names, which seems a bit tenuous.

last edited at Sep 4, 2020 5:23PM

Omega Deuse
joined Aug 1, 2011

I like to think that white is just very violent and black is just really in love with white and doesn't know how to express it except through violence as well

That or there is a very odd miscommunication going on where Black thinks white was following her around because she has a crush on her and White thinks Black is up to know good, so Black went into a fight thinking it was going to be sexy times and White is just very fond of hate sex.

Also, I love the facial expressions in this and the eyes in particular.

joined Aug 1, 2011

I get why manga like Akuyaku Reijou Tensei Oji-san lean so heavily into the genre-cliches but with these it just drives me into despair. Not a shred of originality. Not even a single moment in those first two chapters is anything you can't find elsewhere. Sure, it's puzzled together slightly different each time, but that's about the level of originality and creativity LN authors and mangaka bring these days?!

Bleh. Unworthy.

This one seems fairly different from the normal fair, with the reincarnated princess not being automatically good at everything and massively popular, rejecting her claim to the throne, and focusing on science and research rather than personal power or politics.

penultimate panel: the duke is saying he's take action about the successsion?

I think he's saying that he's willing to go against the princess's wishes to push her onto the throne, rather than leave it up to the king who's more willing to indulge his daughter. The King seems to agree that she'd be a better ruler, despite her quirks, so the duke isn't actually going against him.

Omega Deuse
joined Aug 1, 2011

On a completely stupid side note, Kisaki-san suffers from a "tree" disease. That got me to wondering if she has to deal with termites or pesky critters that mistake her for a tree. if so, what does she do to deal with it?

Applies garden-variety insecticide from the corner store probably. Or just squishes them, what with that fluid shape and generally many orders of magnitude greater ability to flexibly respond to nuisances than proper plants boast (those are mainly down to chemical countermeasures which as per the usual predator-prey arms race their major pests are varyingly resistant to).

I'd expect regular showering to be pretty effective too, since most insects aren't going to like the soap and the running water+scrubbing will probably dislodge most of them and their eggs.

The real question is whether or not she has to deal with bees, or other pollinators, and how she feels about it.

Omega Deuse
Image Comments 30 Aug 01:57
joined Aug 1, 2011
Egxhdr_xoaa45qt-orig

Funfact about UV - while mammals have categorically lost the ability to directly perceive it likely thanks to millions of years spent as small nocturnal critters (not much of the stuff available at night) dodging dinosaurs,

Actually, that's not entirely true. We still have some ability to see light at the edge of the UV spectrum, but you usually need something to help filter out the normal light to make it more visible.

joined Aug 1, 2011

Loco said Baiser only has 2 stars, but she very clearly has at least 6, so either her count is off or we're missing something.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/looking_up_to_magical_girls_ch13#11

Here it mentions that it is the stars on their skin that count, so yeah, Baiser only has 2 stars but they multiply when he gets horny/excited. She doesn't have horns outside of her costume as well, so how are they not accessories?

Unless I'm mistaken, while her horns only show up when she transforms, they don't break away like the rest of her costume. That is, she's actually transforming, rather than just getting a costume like everyone else, thus those horns are part of her body and equivalent to her skin. Similarly, Loco describes the relevant marks as "engraved on their skin" and it's hard to view marks "engraved" on her eyes as being less than ones engraved on her skin.

Now I'm even more confident that Loco's miscounting her marks, because they're so out of the ordinary that she doesn't realize what she's looking at.

joined Aug 1, 2011

Loco said Baiser only has 2 stars, but she very clearly has at least 6, so either her count is off or we're missing something. My guess is that Baiser's form differs enough from the normal dark magical girls that she's discounting stars she shouldn't be. (e.g. stars on clothing and accessories don't count, but Baiser's eyes and horns aren't accessories.)

Also, the mascot seems to be hinting that grenade girl can get stronger.

Oh, also, are we sure they're not older, because they [i]really[/i] don't look or act their supposed age.

last edited at Aug 29, 2020 3:46PM

Omega Deuse
joined Aug 1, 2011

I am disappointed in the little sister. I mean, how could she.

That camera doesn't even look like an slr! And where's her lens? Don't tell me she's relying on a digital zoom!

Omega Deuse
Image Comments 25 Aug 23:56
joined Aug 1, 2011
16e01ef984f312e5cead2c152d0fb9d0

Isn't her epithet is literally "The Awesome Demon".

Omega Deuse
Good Night discussion 25 Aug 23:50
joined Aug 1, 2011

Do asians tattoo english lines the same way we tattoo chinese/japanes lines?

Judging by the prevalence of gratuitous English in anime, my guess would be yes and possibly at a higher rate.

Omega Deuse
joined Aug 1, 2011

Wait, is everyone else here to lament the loss of the filter too?

I wasn't actually expecting that.

joined Aug 1, 2011

Anyone noticed characters switch neko and human?

I noticed the change in the cat's hair, but I didn't realize things had been flipped like that. Except for the orange haired girl, who stayed human in both cases?

Also, the police and courts in that world are extra useless, even by American standards.

Omega Deuse
Ui & Yaaya discussion 16 Aug 18:15
joined Aug 1, 2011

I really like this series so far, but I'm having a hard time with the name Yaaya, in this context.

It's not so much that it's a bad name as it's really close to the Greek word for grandmother. This is not the best piece to have the image of a little old Greek lady popping up in your mind.

last edited at Aug 16, 2020 6:16PM

Omega Deuse
joined Aug 1, 2011

There's no word for "American comics" so the Japanese use amecomi, like bede for French comics and tebeo for Spanish comics. We might as well.

Yes there is. It's, wait for it: Comics.

The agreed upon term for American comics is "funny pages".

That would explicitly refer to comic strips in newspapers.

Omega Deuse
joined Aug 1, 2011

Stop trying to make "amecomi" a word, because it isn't.

Where did you pick that bs from?

It is as much of a word as japanime. That is to say, not a word.

'cept that manga, anime and amecomi are Japanese terms used by Japanese people, while japanime is a Western made word.
And amecomi makes sense bcs it's an abbreviation of American comics, similar to bede or tebeo for other types of comics, while japanime is an example of linguistic redundancy and dumb as shit.

Even in your description, amecomi and japanime are the same, just with "the west" and japan flipped. That actually makes amecomi worse, because this is "the west". So, not only are you using a nonsense word, you're using a nonsense word from a different culture [i]and trying to say the fact that it's from a different culture some how makes it more appropriate to use[/i]

For the record, japanime would be a portmanteau (not an abbreviation) of Japanese and Animation, to distinguish it from French, Canadian, Brazilian, and even American animations that can have a similar style to Japanese anime. That doesn't actually make it any better, though. Just like amecomi, it's not a very good word.

Omega Deuse
Image Comments 16 Aug 00:20
joined Aug 1, 2011
Asd1

I didn't know I needed a creepypasta yuri until I found this

Ah, then you haven't seen the Sadako yuri on this site yet. You should fix that.