Forum › My Dear Lass discussion

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

im guessing its kind of an age difference or smth cause she saw the paper and then yelled. anyways, Xingyuan :((((((

I'm pretty sure she just caught herself lusting over the ID photo and had a gay panic. You guys are overthinking it.

(If the author wanted to convey that this was over an age gap, they would have focused on the age or birthdate on the ID.)

I'd laugh and groan if it turns out one of them is like 25 and the other is 20, and we're supposed to take that as some scandalous situation.

I could see it being that kind of gap and Xiaoen getting overly flustered by it, without it being presented as truly scandalous. That is, Xiaoen has a tendency to overthink things and there's already a serious power difference between the two, so she might just be overreacting.

Personally, I think that would be a good way to handle this type of plot line, because it lets you get a lot of the same drama, without needing the actual moral issues that an adult dating a minor would entail.

Fair, I just wish Xiaoen was able to confront Xingyuan properly. Seeing Xingyuan self-destruct more because of Xiaoen's cowardice hurts, especially with the "pervert" misunderstanding that feels like the author is forcing the drama (in my opinion).

Also if it's as "Heavensrun" is saying and there's no gap but instead it's just Xiaoen's gay panic over the photo, that would make her cowardice and the domino effect from it even worse. Edit: Mostly I'd say worse as in Xiaoen isn't realizing at all how Xingyuan might at the very least be feeling rejected by her. I know Xiaoen has her own emotions to deal with, however I do feel that communication would be best for everyone involved here.

last edited at Jan 19, 2023 5:17PM

Kidsbeingkidscats2
joined Jan 19, 2015

ahh yes the human mind. Everyones own worst enemy

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

thank you for the heartfelt speech, bakery dad

joined May 10, 2021

When your part time boss is a better dad than your dad. FeelsGoodMan.
And now they both stop being silly goose AND KISS AGAIN DAMNIT!

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

Ah time to work it out and start moving in the right direction again after her new poppa gave her a peptalk!

Damn, this opened some old wounds damn.

insert 'First Time?' meme here

joined Sep 27, 2017

Supportive father figure putting in work. I hope next chapter has a proper exchange with that cliffhanger! I was fearing we were going to be in for at least a few or more difficult chapters revolving around the misunderstanding, but maybe not.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I could see it being that kind of gap and Xiaoen getting overly flustered by it, without it being presented as truly scandalous. That is, Xiaoen has a tendency to overthink things and there's already a serious power difference between the two, so she might just be overreacting.

Personally, I think that would be a good way to handle this type of plot line, because it lets you get a lot of the same drama, without needing the actual moral issues that an adult dating a minor would entail.

Fair, I just wish Xiaoen was able to confront Xingyuan properly. Seeing Xingyuan self-destruct more because of Xiaoen's cowardice hurts, especially with the "pervert" misunderstanding that feels like the author is forcing the drama (in my opinion).

I think "cowardice" is kind of unfair. Nervousness at the start of a new relationship is pretty normal, and Xiaoen is kind of a space cadet to begin with. It's only been part of a day.

Also if it's as "Heavensrun" is saying and there's no gap but instead it's just Xiaoen's gay panic over the photo, that would make her cowardice and the domino effect from it even worse. Edit: Mostly I'd say worse as in Xiaoen isn't realizing at all how Xingyuan might at the very least be feeling rejected by her. I know Xiaoen has her own emotions to deal with, however I do feel that communication would be best for everyone involved here.

You have to remember that Xiaoen doesn't know about Xingyuan's trauma or her current meltdown. She hasn't seen any of the panic her reaction is causing. She was visibly giddy about the makeout, she's probably assuming it's the same for Xingyuan. But there's always worry and uncertainty at the start of these things. You want to seem interested, but not too obsessed, and it's hard to know where the right balance is, especially if you don't have any experience.

At any rate, it doesn't seem like the misunderstanding is going to persist.

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

He gave such good advice he was blessed with the ability to kill the fly. God truly smiles upon helping the gays.

joined Sep 27, 2017

I think "cowardice" is kind of unfair. Nervousness at the start of a new relationship is pretty normal, and Xiaoen is kind of a space cadet to begin with. It's only been part of a day.

You have to remember that Xiaoen doesn't know about Xingyuan's trauma or her current meltdown. She hasn't seen any of the panic her reaction is causing. She was visibly giddy about the makeout, she's probably assuming it's the same for Xingyuan. But there's always worry and uncertainty at the start of these things. You want to seem interested, but not too obsessed, and it's hard to know where the right balance is, especially if you don't have any experience.

At any rate, it doesn't seem like the misunderstanding is going to persist.

Yeah I do realize "cowardice" is harsh, and I know that she isn't aware of the trauma either. It's a perspective that's fueled by viewer exclusive insight of getting the whole picture that characters don't have. So I know my frustration isn't fair to her in that regard. I think it's that I hear how she ran off and locked herself away, while we're seeing Xinqyuan spiral again, and it was frustrating from that audience view point in my opinion.

However we seem to be on a good track with this newest chapter, so my frustration has eased for the moment at least.

Capture
joined Apr 16, 2020

im guessing its kind of an age difference or smth cause she saw the paper and then yelled. anyways, Xingyuan :((((((

I'm pretty sure she just caught herself lusting over the ID photo and had a gay panic. You guys are overthinking it.

(If the author wanted to convey that this was over an age gap, they would have focused on the age or birthdate on the ID.)

Seems like their issue's gonna be resolved soon but what the author did, not focusing on the other info in the ID, was intentional since the focus instead was on what MC said afterwards, but if it was a nothingburger, that's just ... triggering the other for nothing. I did wonder what MC's age is seeing as she's a director and a leader in the community--she'd at least be late 20s imo.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

This is what you would have missed out on.

This is what you would have missed out on.

Well put. Something very, very precious indeed.

Yumi%20sachiko%20kiss%201
joined Apr 6, 2017

Seems like their issue's gonna be resolved soon but what the author did, not focusing on the other info in the ID, was intentional since the focus instead was on what MC said afterwards, but if it was a nothingburger, that's just ... triggering the other for nothing. I did wonder what MC's age is seeing as she's a director and a leader in the community--she'd at least be late 20s imo.

I think her age was shown early on and it is certainly older than she looks or act. Oh right it was just her birthday.

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

I think her age was shown early on and it is certainly older than she looks or act. Oh right it was just her birthday.

Xiaoen is 27, she says so when she asks for a birthday cake from Xingyuan. I'd imagine Xingyuan is about 19, out of school and just drifting around for a while with her family pushing her to go to college. In this case, the age gap would certainly not be insurmountable but I could understand Xiaoen being a bit shocked about finding out that her crush is a teenager. As a 28 year old myself, I'd certainly have second thoughts in that kind of situation

joined Nov 21, 2022

I'm kind of amused about the discussion of the age gap. When I was in my early 40s, teenage girls kept flirting with me. Making it quite clear what they wanted. I wasn't going anywhere near that, but it happened.

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

Noooooo don't end the chapter there! Why, author, why!? (ノಥ,_」ಥ)ノ彡┻━┻

joined Feb 17, 2018

Xiaoen is 27, she says so when she asks for a birthday cake from Xingyuan. I'd imagine Xingyuan is about 19, out of school and just drifting around for a while with her family pushing her to go to college. In this case, the age gap would certainly not be insurmountable but I could understand Xiaoen being a bit shocked about finding out that her crush is a teenager. As a 28 year old myself, I'd certainly have second thoughts in that kind of situation

A 19 year old hit on me when I was 28 and I gave her my number, only to find out later she was much younger than she looked lol. That definitely was the end of that

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

Good thing the town is so small that they were bound to bump into each other

StudentOfEtherium
Djp09ca4_400x400
joined Dec 16, 2017

it's probably going to be an age thing, but my first thought, and what i really hope it is, is that she's trans. not holding my breath, tho

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Good thing the town is so small that they were bound to bump into each other

Yeah at least here it actually makes sense, it's always a bit funny when characters supposedly living in Tokyo or other megacities keep constantly bumping into their friends/crushes/enemies

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

it's probably going to be an age thing, but my first thought, and what i really hope it is, is that she's trans. not holding my breath, tho

I'm all for trans representation, but I don't think there's really a version of that that doesn't make Xiaoen problematic as hell?. She looks at the ID, immediately abandons all plans to go see Xingyuan, and apparently has a full on freakout about perversion. There are two possibilities. 1) She was talking about Xingyuan, or 2) she was talking about herself.

If it's 1, that's a super transphobic response. I mean, people fuck up and get better, but it'd definitely hurt my opinion of her. If it's 2, she's excited by it, which is skirting on fetishization, which is its own kind of problem? Either way, it changes the dynamic of the situation a LOT and would make me lose a lot of sympathy for Xiaoen.

Basically, without that, this is a light fluffy misunderstanding to be cleared up with a pinch of drama and maybe some backstory. With it, it's a serious character flaw that a character has to grow past. There are other reasons I don't think it's likely, but this is why I would outright hope against it.

Screen%20shot%202016-04-20%20at%207.35.18%20am
joined Dec 20, 2015

Well you were right on the dime with your prediction lmao

Tumblr_6092d594b3a92296a4d35bac1b1a474c_c2d1131f_400
joined Apr 4, 2022

i started floating after the weight of the previous chapter left me

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Friends!

To reply you must either login or sign up.