Forum › Posts by Fairypixie24

Fairypixie24
Communism discussion 17 Mar 14:46
joined Apr 6, 2019

Yuri / baihe has become incredibly popular in China lately. If you go to Youtube and search, you'll find literally thousands of short and medium-length movies with yuri stories. Some of them are even series, with dozens of episodes! From what I can tell, historical, fantasy and wuxia settings seem to be the biggest favorites.

And, you know, when I read the words "communist yuri" there's one short movie (six and a half minutes) that immediately came to my mind. This is the Youtube link:

Miss Shen and the Woman Warlord

Please don't read the following words until you've watched the video, ok? Because spoilers.

It's actually a shampoo commercial. ^______^ That's right: baihe is so fucking popular right now that they even make short yuri movies as commercials for all sorts of products. Oh and lemme tell you: I'm totally buying myself some Adolph shampoo now. This commercial was so good it totally won me over. ^_~

last edited at Mar 17, 2024 2:49PM

Fairypixie24
joined Apr 6, 2019

Old ads compilation

Japanese ads are sooo cute.

Bonus: a bar in Kumamoto is now selling an author-approved strawberry milk cocktail named after the manga.

I wonder if this is a sign of the popularity of her manga? I sure hope so, this is one of those series I desperately want to see go on.

I wonder if Ema realizes that every word she says about her plans for the future (both the immediate future and the distant future) spell D-I-V-O-R-C-E to the ears of any unbiased listener.

Heh. This exactly was my first thought as well.
It's amazing that Takara didn't twig it immediately. I chalk it up to her extreme insecurity.

Fairypixie24
joined Apr 6, 2019

I lol'ed at Aya who tries to act all adult like, and even asks Erika for lessons on how to seduce a romantic partner into having sex... and then it turns out that even a hug is too much for her.

And that hug was like, barely a hug in my book.

If Koto had said "Now that we have confirmed our feelings, let's have some French kisses and sixty-nines and tribbing!" I think Aya would have nosebleeded a geyser and died.

There are a few authors out there who would totally draw a woman of twenty-something and a kid of fourteen having French kisses and sixty-nines and tribbing. They would be very happy to draw it. In extreme detail!

But Kabocha ain't one of them. Her thing is aaaaaangst, not underage explicit sex.

Fairypixie24
joined Apr 6, 2019

I kinda can’t wait to see what Erika is going to do next Tanabata.

Oh my god, I hadn't considered this.

You really need to ask?

She's going to look for Orihime and Hikoboshi and kick their asses.

joined Apr 6, 2019

@HayaH I wholeheartedly agree with your analysis.

This guy would agree too.

Fairypixie24
joined Apr 6, 2019

Everybody already assumed the childhood friend is doomed. I would like to see a twist the friend winning for once.

Sometimes the childhood friend character wins...

I concur. Look at the list under the Childhood Friends tag to find heaps of stories with childhood friends who turn into lovers.

Only when there isn't a love triangle. In that case, they always lose.

Is that a Japanese yuri thing? Because in Chinese baihe manhua the childhood friend usually gets the girl, no matter what the competition is. Off the top of my hat I can think of Childhood Sweetheart Liaoliao, The Daughter of Evil and Miss Devil, and My Dearest Nemesis, all series you can find on the Dynasty reader.

Fairypixie24
joined Apr 6, 2019

Glowing mirror and talking reflection makes me think Fantasy or Supernatural more than Historical

Historical is because it's set in the 1920s

Indeed. But I wasn't expecting magic, spirits and cursed mirrors! That development caught me completely by surprise, heh.

I thought this was going to be like Couple of Mirrors. Know what I mean? A realistic drama set in the 1920s, with a yuri love story between the wife of a cheating rich man and a lowly commoner girl—the main difference being that in CoM the commoner girl was a thief and in this manhua I expected her to be a cabaret singer. It appears I was slightly off beam on some details. :P

I don't know if I would change the tagging, tho. On one hand, adding a tag like "Magic" or "Supernatural" seems reasonable. On the other hand it would totally spoil the big surprise... so maybe leaving it like this is a good idea.

last edited at Jan 10, 2024 12:51PM

Fairypixie24
joined Apr 6, 2019

Yuri writers just love the "ex who returns" subplot to tiny little bits. XDD

Ah icydgi "Zorra-chan" is the generic name Spanish-speaking fans of yuri use for the character of the "ex who returns" in yuri manga. It's such a common trope, there's even a meme where you just have to paste the face of the ex-gf character on a template with a dialogue bubble that reads: 'Hello bitches! Here I am to sink the lead ship and bring conflict and drama to the story! You know you want it!'

Just paste Tianli's face on the vixengirl and you're golden. :-)

Fairypixie24
joined Apr 6, 2019

Personally i'm so here for chaotic-neutral Naori

Chaotic neutral is best alignment.

Fairypixie24
joined Apr 6, 2019

well, since when do we have the rule to not talk spoilers in blacked out??? and funny it will be for other readers to have to look through pages to find the translator making the rule…

We don't have any rule against discussing spoilers in blacked out text.

We do have an unwritten rule about requests from the translators. When a translator requests something from us, we honor the request.

You could say it's the least we can do. After all, without the translators, this site wouldn't exist. We owe them this kind of simple politeness.

Fairypixie24
joined Apr 6, 2019

Who df are those two?
I looked for a pairing tag but there isn't one...

The tag you were looking for is Coach x Nurse. This one:

https://dynasty-scans.com/pairings/coach_x_nurse

My guess is that they probably forgot to add it to the new chapter.

Fairypixie24
joined Apr 6, 2019

Agradeciendo la info de Mi Querida Enemiga, les comento que la grandísima diosa Kodama Naoko empezó un manga nuevo; y parece que, según sus preferencias, la cosa va de yuri ntr! El título es "La Esposa Mentirosa y la Discusión sobre el Matrimonio entre Personas del Mismo Sexo" y el cap 1 ya está traducido por Uchuujin Projects.

https://lectortmo.com/library/manga/79599/la-esposa-mentirosa-y-la-discusion-sobre-el-matrimonio-entre-personas-del-mismo-sexo

Fairypixie24
joined Apr 6, 2019

Same but she had a dream about kissing her now. Idk if it can just be friendship anymore after that.

Good thing she didn't have a dream about confessing and being rejected, hm?

joined Apr 6, 2019

The only tag for this work is the "Yuri" tag? How lazy! You're gonna make it feel lonely and unloved!

Quick, find a dozen more tags for this lovely piece of fluff!

School life Romance Blushing

joined Apr 6, 2019

All of Nanase’s fumbles could’ve easily be solved is Yuni just freakin TALKED to her and not bottle everything up and let herself fester and get easily enabled by Yuuko.

I understand the argument for communication and I know many who just like you think that talking to your partner and telling them your needs is the panacea for everything.

But I hope you understand that having to constantly beg for sex to a partner who is cold like a block of ice and has absolutely no desire for your body can become very humiliating—and will in time turn your feelings sour.

joined Apr 6, 2019

You might no like the story because you're uncomfortable with the themes, but it doesn't mean the author is bad at what she does. On the contrary, she's very good. She call it herself "kuzu yuri", ie, "trash yuri" and everything is done on purpose to be the most infuriating possible.

Somehow the manga I like the most these days are either kuzu yuri or prostitution yuri, sometimes both... Sorry but I'm Not Into Yuri, My Girlfriend's Not Here Today, A Scummy Gap Student With a Hard Life Calls Upon a Lady of the Night, Asumi-chan Is Interested In Lesbian Brothels...

Nothing better than smashing moral correctness into smithereens, yessir.

joined Apr 6, 2019

Nice title: "Scumbag's Child"

Are we supposed to understand that Makino, being a child of such parents, is not only a scumbag but also a scumbag's child?

I do believe that's what the words imply, yes.

In a nutshell, this title is Kosuzume's way of telling the readers: 'In case you hadn't noticed, Makino's papa and mama are scum too!'

joined Apr 6, 2019

Chapter 19 in Spanish is out.

For those who can read Spanish, here's the link:

https://lectortmo.com/viewer/a2def2e5d9e7f5170453e5fa9e28597e/cascade

A very sweet, innocent, wholesome chapter; no making out, no kissing, no romantic shenanigans, just Mei and the girls being cute.

joined Apr 6, 2019

So... the formula is making the readers angry?

Kind of. ^_^

But not willingly. Let me give you an analogy. You know the Brontë sisters, Charlotte, Emily and Anne? This a short comic about them:

When it comes to romantic literature for women by women, one of the oldest plot devices in the book is making the heroine's love interest an extremely problematic person: a violent man, an alcoholic, an outcast, a social climber who won't marry the heroine because she's poor, an emotionally-scarred wretch, etc. etc. The story then tells us how the heroine, through great pain and effort, redeems this person's wrongs with the power of her love and wins herself a happy romantic end. Emily and Charlotte Brontë were very fond of this sort of problematic characters, while Anne was NOT; that's why she and her sisters bicker in the comic, as their reactions to the men they see (who by coincidence happen to be the mcs of some novels by Charlotte and Emily) are completely different.

This manga follows that old and tested plot, giving the heroine Ayaka a majorly problematic love interest in Hiroko. Normally, all the readers should react like Charlotte and Emily Brontë would... that is, they should be rooting for Ayaka to break Hiroko's defenses, make her see the errors of her ways, and finally win her heart! Trouble is, 90% of the readers are reacting like Anne would... that is, they think Hiroko is a slimeball and Ayaka needs to find herself a better lover. Ooops. This is not what Sal Jiang had in mind when she created Hiroko.

In the past, there have been many series with similar premises that made the readers in Dynasty forum react the way the author expected. This manga failed to accomplish that. I won't attempt to explain why. Let's just say that Hiroko doesn't have what it takes to charm the readers (whatever this elusive quality may be) and leave it at that.

joined Apr 6, 2019

What I would like to know is: are there really so many otome games where a scene like this happens? All these details seem so precise and definite: the hall full of nobles, the finger-pointing, the yell "So-and-so! Our engagement is cancelled!" and so on and so forth. Is it a trope that you expect to find in every otome game? Or is it a parody of one particular famous work? Or a combination of both?

As far as my knowledge goes... that scene, with that precise sequence of events, comes from the Bakarina universe. :)

The game Fortune Lover (where the unnamed mc reincarnates as "Bakarina") has many possible happy endings, and all of them include the scene where Katarina Claes is publicly accused by Prince Geordo of harassing the heroine Maria Campbell. It starts with him pointing his finger at her and announcing the end of their engagement, then a few characters step forward and read the list of her wrongdoings, then Katarina is declared a criminal, stripped of her social status and exiled.

This scene doesn't parody any preexistent otome game, it was an original scene completely invented by the author of the books... but it became so popular it turned epigonic; and it's now a staple of Villainess Yuri.

last edited at May 27, 2023 2:31AM

joined Apr 6, 2019

Seriously, why does she even bother going out with another girl if she's going to treat her like a casual friend who isn't really too close? If I didn't know that this is yuri, I'd think that the big reveal at the end of the manga will be that Nanase is straight and needs a boyfriend.

Interesting take. There are many, many yuri stories where a couple is going out but tries to keep their love secret... and in ALL OF THEM one of the main plot devices is how they have to resort to all sorts of tricks to do what they desperately want: find chances to be alone, go on dates and have sex! If one of the girls has a large friend circle (like Nanase) it's common that the friends quickly start suspecting something odd is going on, because this girl is always leaving early and her excuses are always half-assed. It's quite extraordinary that a character in Nanase's position, who just got herself a girlfriend, doesn't change her daily routine in the least and doesn't even try to make extra time for her lover.

Nanase's disinterest in Yuni is very sus. That's not how a teenager who started going out with a cute girlfriend should behave. No wonder Yuni feels better around Fuuko who obviously has the raging hots for her!

last edited at May 19, 2023 7:22PM

joined Apr 6, 2019

Chapter 18 in Spanish was just released.

For those who can read Spanish, here's the link:

https://lectortmo.com/viewer/d29a32af9b2a4a57442d84e922676b6a/cascade

Maria-sensei, so sneaky!

And Mei is way too pure and innocent. I mean, her teacher tells her that they should kiss as a psychology experiment (to test the emotional effect of kisses) and she says "Yes, sure!" and doesn't suspect a thing. >_<

joined Apr 6, 2019

Once again, that damn cute art. I'm all for it.

The Chinese authors are very good at this. They like to switch to chibi style when the mcs are acting cutesy, or childish, or naughty. This manhua is particularly good at it.

Fairypixie24
joined Apr 6, 2019

^ Yo lo que no entiendo es lo del papel de aluminio. Cuando la carne en la parrilla está a punto (al punto que querés) se saca y se sirve en la mesa. ¿De dónde salió eso de envolverla en aluminio y esperar horas? ¿Para qué? ¿Es una técnica de barbacoa yanqui o algo así?
Yo, ni idea. ¯⧵_(°_°)_/¯

Quizas porque el trozo es gordo? Por eso envolverlo para 'roast' como un horno.

Suena razonable.

Qué gracia los rioplatenses del foro que protestan porque vinieron a aprender comida japonesa y pretenden enseñarles a asar carne de vaca en una parrilla. :-D

last edited at Mar 30, 2023 6:55PM

Fairypixie24
joined Apr 6, 2019

^ Shen's subordinate, the cute meganekko girl, gets the award for Wingwoman of the Month!