Forum › Posts by mccann

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

Uh, oh—bad behavior in a fictional story. Time to break out the torches and pitchforks.

(And for anyone out there delusional enough to believe that stories are guidebooks to proper behavior: they’re not. Please make a note of it.)

It's not that it's bad behavior, it's that it's bad behavior that falls directly in line with a harmful stereotype of LGBT people being predators. The idea that gay/lesbians folks take advantage of the lower boundaries people have around people of their same gender and will prey on them if they don't keep their guard up is offensive because most people wouldn't do something like that.

That, compounded with how it looks like it won't be caught/called out, leaves me feeling that this work isn't something I'd enjoy. Maybe it's because I grew up in the 90s, but the only lesbian being a molester, who is explicitly taking advantage of female only spaces/closeness rubs me the wrong way hard. Maybe it's different for the teenagers of today, but when I was in high school being seen that way was one of my biggest fears.

That isn't to say there are no lesbians who behave badly or do things like that, but, they're a small minority and deserve to be called out the same way straight molester should.

I hope this clarifies why it is not necessarily simply a matter of taste to those who think it's making a mountain out of a molehill.

last edited at Apr 17, 2022 8:37AM

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

FiddlePop posted:

Is the baby really a Non-science baby? Looks pretty much like a science baby to me

Yeah to be honest I'm pretty confused too... Unless science baby means Sci Fi/futuristic only

It's not both moms' DNA, it's one of the mom's plus the other mom's brother's, not a sci-fi thing, but a realistic thing.

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

I think it's not yuri. IRL, I'd assume someone who felt that crossdressing "suited" them who preferred to socialize when others saw them as the opposite gender, was not cishet, but this is manga, so... it's whatever the author is thinking (unless you're pro-death of the author, then there's no definitive answer).

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

This is pretty. I look forward to seeing how it goes.

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

I'm not against all cheating in stories, just... it has to be done well. So far this isn't. The Fuuka girl just comes off as kind of weird and uncomfortable with how she doesn't respect boundaries. Nanase comes off as cold, but there's room for her to be understandable, as we don't know her situation, and some parents would be really crappy if they found out their kid was gay (forcing them to move to break them up, forcing them into therapy, or whatever). Also, I'm not digging the art, the characters posture is too stiff, but that's common in comics.

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

my friend recently had appendicitis, she told me it was extreme pain in the abdominal area, maybe it might be that

When pain gets extreme a lot of people get worse at pinpointing and describing it.

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

It was my first ABO/Omegaverse thing. I don't think I would've read it but I like the author's other works. I don't think much of that set up, but I appreciate how this wasn't that played straight (that sounds both boring and weird to me, but if that's your thing, you do you). Twists are good. I hope the MC ends up with her beloved president. Keep taking your meds child, you seem way too young to be having kids.

last edited at May 21, 2021 8:57AM

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

Even disregarding the magic diet... what kind of parents would let you just not go to school :P really weird chapter overall

High school is not mandatory in Japan like it is in of the US (in some states it is not mandatory after age 16). It's very possible her parents aren't happy about it, but they have limited options for how to deal with it.

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

So the secret to weight loss is being depressed and obsessed with something while neglecting everything else
Good to know.

I really think manga is one of the worst places on earth to get health advice.

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

Some compromise must have been reached between dad and daughter over covering the medical bills.

Dad and son, there is no daughter. The son seemed to have a successful Youtube channel. And his surgery was in Thailand, which is cheaper.

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

He didn't just want to go hunting, he saw himself consistently as a boy. A lot of girls want to do "boy" things, but their arguments tend not to include the phrase "I'm a boy"

My understanding of Japan is that they're honestly pretty conservative (you notice Chiaki was sterilized during his gender confirmation surgery, that's basically mandatory in Japan if you transition) on issues and so an old doctor using outdated terms isn't surprising.

This is a really well done story. I'm glad I stuck with it after the first couple pages (when they said Chiaki was a man, I was concerned it was a crossdressing story, which isn't my thing)

mccann
American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

Re-read this in manga format feel amazing, the artist really knows what they are conveying.
The anime was quite a let down tbh. I was hoping it would be a horror, psych anime with yuri sub-plot. But nope, it full vrooms the yuri :v

The manga definitely sells the horror better than the anime. Episode 5 was the one that seemed the best so far (but I could be bias because that's my favorite arc so far, also they gave it more room to breath by not trying to cram everything in one episode), maybe it'll pick up?

mccann
American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

Some age-gap doesn't necessarily bug me (The two of them are pretty much like that, is fine, college studentxworking adult is fine), but this is a middle schooler + clearly working adult woman.

I really hope it becomes obvious the adult (Kyouko) is only messing with Ruri to get back at her ex (giving those gifts, for example, hints at that), versus actually interested in, and frankly grooming, this child.

mccann
American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

Having sex does not make you an adult. At times I get very angry when such lies are spread. Only maturity makes you an adult.

Yeah, honestly, that seems like a thing predators tell teens to groom them. I was an adult before I had sex, and in high school I had a friend who had sex before she was an adult (freshman, dropped out after she got knocked up), finding an appropriate partner and adulthood don't always coincide.

mccann
American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

This is my two favorite J-genres - girls with guns and horror. I've enjoyed the manga, it's been legit scary in parts, but have generally found the anime to be lackluster. It doesn't do as good of a job selling to horror aspect, imho - especially in the early episodes. I'm not sure if it's budget or a lack of skill in composing the story boards or what.

last edited at Feb 7, 2021 9:17AM

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

This is the ending I wanted and all but it seems so compromised between the three that it’d eventually collapse.

Well, I mean, it's a relationship between a 16 year old and two 17 year olds... The odds of them being together in 7 years is small (the jr girl will be not-yet-done with college, the other two will be working/in grad school). It's not impossible, but there'd be a million ways for them to fall apart.

mccann
Ikoku Nikki discussion 21 Jan 10:18
American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

This is underrated.

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

I... don't understand... but am happy that most people seem happier after transforming.

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

My professional account icon used to be a Golang Gopher, now it'll be Wani-san. :-)

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

Real Question (Not because I don't have "experience"):
Can you really feel a woman's heartbeats through her boing boings?

No. The best way to detect a racing heartbeat is to put your ear to someone's chest (more specifically the area above the breasts/below the collarbone), if everything is very calm and you feel very carefully, you can probably feel it with your hand from that location, but it's more subtle.

The artist just wanted to draw a girl groping another girl's breast, that is the mostly way to make sense of the scene.

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

This was a cute story. The title is very explanatory. :-)

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

Here I was expected a long one-shot with drama and tears... instead I ended up with a rushed romance with a punchline of a child gleefully announcing they helped with murder... that creepy tag is warranted.

mccann
American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

I have to say, I read this back in the day, but apparently what I thought was the ending (when Ushio kissed Sumika to convey her feelings), I remember thinking that it seemed like a weak ending. I'm glad I got around to re-reading it (I thought of it again because of "The Two of Them are Pretty Much Like This") the actual ending was better than what I thought the ending was.

It does have some feelings of "why is almost everyone gay?" and the whole "meandering a bit" issue, but those are expected for the genre.

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

Cute little manga but that ending is such a blatant sequel/spin off hook.

And by god I'd read it

It seems like it'd be cute.

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

When quarantine began, and I had to be 100% WFH and my hours were cut (and my wife's outside-the-house hours went up a lot), the house got a lot cleaner.