Forum › About a College Girl Who Gets Picked Up at a Mixer by an Older Girl discussion

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

My god, she defeated the dreaded manga cold, just how powerful is this woman?!

Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

I am sorry eyeless man but you must die. Well, not really sorry.

Kanata%20emma%20cute%20cat%20laying
joined Apr 23, 2021

I am sorry eyeless man but you must die. Well, not really sorry.

yes

Lojsdbe
joined Sep 16, 2019

So, what are the odds that Natsuko is already nearby and Captain Eyeless is about 10 seconds away from becoming Captain Toothless?

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Oh yes grab the wrist of the person you just met. Totally going to go over well and doesn't make you look like an asshole at all.

Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

I get that that Natsuto is trying to be the trusting girlfriend. But it is a heckin mixer not a social club.

last edited at Dec 29, 2022 2:52AM

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

Girlfriend is definitely nearby in case of slime and not getting a text back. Or bestie will help

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Well, that guy is trouble... And soon in trouble.

So, what are the odds that Natsuko is already nearby and Captain Eyeless is about 10 seconds away from becoming Captain Toothless?

Oh, definitely.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

What a stupid chapter.

joined May 29, 2021

Oh no! Not eyeless NTR man! He goes to the same plot device school as truck-kun!

D5aad09a-7f7c-4c16-aad1-2b0b94587149
joined Nov 13, 2022

“Basically, with mixers, you take people by force, get taken by force, or kidnap someone, and you’re set.” — Umetarou Nozaki

joined Nov 21, 2022

I find this aspect of manga disturbing. Is Asian drinking culture like this? This forcing of drinks on the reluctant, and the inability to say no?

Yumi%20sachiko%20kiss%201
joined Apr 6, 2017

Boy both this and the new chapter of kasesan that just came out are really disappointing.

Pinekon
joined Jan 10, 2022

I get it, the guy is being forceful. Probably a drunk guy who's obviously a bit of a jackass after he has a few drinks and came to a mixer expecting things to happen since that's why you go to mixers. You expect things to happen. He gets overly excited over a cute girl, and nobody can blame that, and with the power of alcohol, he does a dumb thing by being perhaps a bit too assertive for a sober mind to handle. But with everyone being this stupid, I think the guy is the last person to get angry at. I'll go with everyone thinking that Rika getting to a mixer is a great idea. And then Rika herself for going along with it first because she wants to get her GF to get jelly or something and after that doesn't happen she goes with it because uh... She doesn't want to admit to it? I have no idea. It's one of those "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" situations.
I know, it's a dumb setup for a princess being rescued by her knight in shiny armor. But these types of scenes frustrate me. The guy will be/is painted as some sort of bad guy, but this literally happened in the first chapter. And those people know about it. And yet they still allowed it to happen again.
I don't even care that this might spawn a dumb discussion or people might think I'm defending the guy. I'm not. If anything, I'm blaming those three airheads for making this situation happen in the first place. Ugh... Such an awful and frustrating chapter. And there'll be a follow-up, which is just... Great.

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

Alcohol is not excuse for this kind of behavior. If you get that unhinged when drinking, do not drink in public.

Images
joined Aug 19, 2018

What is wrong with the friend (idk her name)? She seems like a nice enough and considerate person based on this chapter, but she's still going to mixers? How has she not found someone to date yet?

joined May 29, 2021

I find this aspect of manga disturbing. Is Asian drinking culture like this? This forcing of drinks on the reluctant, and the inability to say no?

Absolutely yes. In Japan you are expected to drink at social gatherings, especially if a superior is drinking and asking you to do it as well.

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Bus-kun is idling right behind the corner.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Absolutely yes. In Japan you are expected to drink at social gatherings, especially if a superior is drinking and asking you to do it as well.

A Western friend working in Japan said that was the worst of a number of unpleasant things about Japanese professional culture--being required to go drinking where everyone was getting hammered and being expected to do so oneself.

joined Nov 21, 2022

A Western friend working in Japan said that was the worst of a number of unpleasant things about Japanese professional culture--being required to go drinking where everyone was getting hammered and being expected to do so oneself.

My favourite scene in the movie Tampopo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRVLqUpHDJE

joined Jul 8, 2019

Is Asian (...) culture like this? (...) the inability to say no?

Basically, yes. In both Japanese and Chinese culture, there is a STRONG cultural bias towards shaming the one who says "no" as "arrogant" or "rude".
t. got a Chinese not-blood-related sister

last edited at Dec 29, 2022 3:53PM

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Is Asian (...) culture like this? (...) the inability to say no?

Basically, yes. In both Japanese and Chinese culture, there is a STRONG cultural bias towards shaming the one who says "no" as "arrogant" or "rude".
t. got a Chinese not-blood-related sister

On the face of it, only. Like, if an older Japanese guy responded to a request by sucking in air through his teeth, that's a definite no.

Beyond that, as you get to know the culture, "Noes" become more and more obvious. Also requests. You won't pick up on requests at first, either, even though they know they have to be more blunt with gai(koku)jin tachi.

By the way, a lot of the manga here have coded language. You may wish for people to "come out" openly, but a lot of the language the manga uses is basically that.

At first, I leveraged that a bit to get people to go along with requests they wanted to say no to, but after I;d been around long enough to not be a newbie, that wouldn't have worked.

This is why I admire the translators on Dynasty, they as a group have a good grasp of context.

Couple_under_the_stars
joined Nov 7, 2022

What the hell is wrong with her friend's choices of mixer participants ? Is she recruiting them on some shady website or something ? She should really, really leave the planning to someone else.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Boy both this and the new chapter of kasesan that just came out are really disappointing.

Eh, this feels a lot more realistic to me than Kase's garbage. I mean, getting your committed lesbian friend to round out a mixer seems fairly dumb, but I can kind of see it for faking 'balance' (though then it's kind of also shitty, deliberately going for N guys and N-1 available girls). And then jerkass being jerkass is sadly realistic.

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

Next chapter : FALCON PAWNCH!

To reply you must either login or sign up.