Forum › Posts by ChikyuuNeko

ChikyuuNeko
Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

"Ah yes I still communicate with that group of homophobic assholes about you", very smooth...

Yeah, as much as I sympathise with Tianli she completely fumbled that conversation with the emotional delicacy of mining drill

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

The big difference between this and the Rejected in a Dream is that the couple here still clearly has some stuff they need to internally push past before becoming a couple, so this’ll be forward progress even if nothing else happens. The couple in Rejected in a Dream, by contrast, were THERE. They had the mood, they had the kiss, they both knew what they wanted. All they needed was one more step to officially become a couple, and then a wall randomly appeared at the finish line to delay them.

I would say Tsukushi does absolutely have some stuff to internally push past too, I mean that negativity she got is absolutely pathological to the degree of being self-sabotaging. That is not just a random wall but one character's very real psychological problem that has been present constantly in previous chapters too with Yuu and Sara being baffled by Tsukushi's conviction that she'd get rejected.

But I do absolutely agree with your point about this forehead kiss being progress even if there's going to be backpedaling next chapter, I fully expect some sort of mild angst coming up which will ultimately help our MCs progress with their relationship.

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Nope, I almost fell for it with that other series. They're both very similar too. Not falling for it again but hoping for the best.

Same, I get that people are celebrating but very much expecting a "oh no, I didn't mean anything by that, oops" sort of thing from Yuzu next chapter. Would be very happy to be proven wrong though.

ChikyuuNeko
Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

I generally prefer BoKita but this was cute. Also, I think I just want Bocchi to have a loving girlfriend more than anything else, homegirl deserves all the happiness in the world.

How about 2 girlfriends? (3.5 if we include Yoyoko and Ryo)

Bocchi x everyone is a very valid option

ChikyuuNeko
Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

I generally prefer BoKita but this was cute. Also, I think I just want Bocchi to have a loving girlfriend more than anything else, homegirl deserves all the happiness in the world.

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Oh it's a featured series, I recommend this for anyone wondering if it is good or not.

I'm kinda put off by the subtext tag as I often find subtext series incredibly frustrating, how is it in this case?

ChikyuuNeko
Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

So Xingyuan's one for three on her ideal type then. Since Xiaoen is sweet, but she's not exactly what you think when people say onee-san/jiejie type and she is most certainly not mature. Love works in funny ways though and I can't blame her for falling for Xiaoen.

Mu Xiaoen is a strange blend of manic pixie dream girl, charismatic community leader and perverted old geezer. Definitely an intriguing enough blend to catch (and then keep) the attention of any hurt and confused gay girl on the run.

last edited at Feb 11, 2024 7:01AM

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

I love how every character seems nice and sweet for a brief moment before you learn that they're actually all just filthy degenerate perverts

ChikyuuNeko
Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Tbh, I'm just generally tired of the "they randomly met as children" trope, though in a lot of ways this was actually one of the less annoying versions of that trope due to it not actually mattering to the story and being just in an extra.

Still, I just don't see why so many authors seem to think that "true" love can only be possible if they already knew each other as children and heavily lean into one side remaining obsessed with the other after not seeing them for ages in some stories. Just let girls be gay and fall in love, why does it always need to be a "destined" partner?

ChikyuuNeko
Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

My only problem with this is that there isn't more epilogue stuff.

Don't worry, the epilogue will probably have more epilogue stuff. Have faith!

Thanks so much to the scanlators for doing this and keeping the project alive across both groups! Such a great series

I love it when an epilogue does epilogue. Jokes aside, I'd loved to see a grown-up Shizuku as an illustration of how she's going on whilst keeping the memory of Kaori alive. This was a thoroughly beautiful series and I'm absolutely planning to reread it once I'm mentally recovered enough to face the sadness once more.

ChikyuuNeko
Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Well, I have liquified

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Respect for the maturity from this manga. Shigisawa not only set boundaries and maintained them, she also has a female friend she's out to (and who seems to be lesbian too) AND that friend gave solid, sympathetic advice. Also, despite the reputation the author seems to have (personally I haven't read anything by her), Gotou doesn't seem to be a super bad or toxic person at all, she's certainly troubled and I can see how that might become an issue down the line, but she's not all that bad. Even if she now goes down a delivery health or whatever route, that doesn't really make her a worse person, if anything, it is just sad.

last edited at Jan 13, 2024 7:09AM

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

I can't decide who's more idiot couple, Minami and Yuzu or Hinoka and Tsukishi. I guess Hino and Koguma were also running circles around each other for 130 chapters...

There's a lot of contenders for the most idiotic couple in Yuri, having just read School Zone, I feel like Rei & Kei are also in the running

ChikyuuNeko
School Zone discussion 11 Jan 11:18
Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Just finished reading this since I only learned about this manga recently. It's real fun and I sincerely hope that it'll be back eventually after the author had some time to recuperate and maybe explore different ideas as well.

That author's note on Kaname though...
"I bought a book about psychopaths and it had a lot to say about Kaname"
LOL glad I am not the only one

Yup, I almost spit out my drink reading that profile lol
Kaname is like the evil mastermind in the background of the series, however she's a sort of chaotic evil that doesn't really have an agenda beyond doing what's "amusing" and thus sometimes inadvertently even ends up doing good things (like kickstarting Tsubaki's social life & confidence)

ChikyuuNeko
Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

So is this the moment where Naori realises that being just a bartender for Hinata isn't quite what she wants? I hope for that sort of outcome, while I really enjoyed the last couple of chapters, I wouldn't mind a bit more romantic progress happening

ChikyuuNeko
Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

lol, is this a sort of Yuri version of Ya Boy Kongming?

ChikyuuNeko
Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

No miracles this time, I guess. At the same time, as legitimately painful as this is, I also find it very cathartic and satisfying that they both got some sort of closure; Shizuku with finishing her novel and confessing, Kaori with her last wish being granted. Shizuku kissing Kaori's hand in a gesture that leaves little room for interpretation as to what this means, to me was particularly satisfying. I mean, that's the kiss that is the apex of every romance story, you know? I also especially loved how the kiss was tied into and how the "reveal" of the confession was done, even though it was rather obvious, or hell, especially since from the very beginning everything was already pretty obvious, it makes how good a story this is all the more prevalent. In all honesty, it takes every fiber of my being not to break down in tears, and it is exhausting.

Very much agree, the ending was super sad and my day is ruined but I'm still glad that they managed to both share their feelings and thus not leave any overtly open ends like that. It is a real beautiful tragedy and I'm curious about the next chapter(s) and seeing how Shizuku will deal with this.

ChikyuuNeko
Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021
H0y0n-1739325154399048026-img1

^ Interesting, hadn't seen that video before! It's nice that major Japanese IPs now seem comfortable to include Yuri subtext in their official stuff, hopefully this is but a stepping stone to actual unabashedly queer characters in the future. Part of me feels like we see some early signs of this with Japan's cultural industry tentatively exploring same-sex couplings and hopefully realising that they aren't bad for business.

last edited at Dec 31, 2023 8:53AM

ChikyuuNeko
Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

I love everything about this picture. Also we see that open eye Lysithea!

ChikyuuNeko
Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

The web novel is one of the best stories I've ever read. Not just one of the best yuri stories, one of the best stories period. It's like 'The Count of Monte Cristo'-level good. Sadly, the English translations are not very far along (because translating novels takes forever and is a pain in the ass). But if you are thinking about machine translating it, don't do it. This is a story worth waiting for.

Can absolutely echo that statement, I read the novel in a completely terrible machine translation and it was STILL extremely good and moved me to tears, even though the translation made it hard to understand what's going on half the time. Reading it in a competent translation or even in Chinese is only going to be 10 times better than that.

If you're still in school and think you will be a lifelong yuri fan, go learn Chinese. It's a very hard language to pick up, but the next 50 years there's going to be so much more high quality content coming out of China. This series alone has a manhua putting out weekly full color chapters with insanely high art quality, a 36-episode audio drama, a hardcover book published, merch on Taobao, and an 50k fan community on Weibo that is putting out fan art constantly. There's already so much talent, investment, and fan support for yuri in a market 10x as big as Japan, and it's growing every year. Yes, the best content may get translated, but there's nothing comparable to consuming it in the original language because so much gets lost in translation.

A girl only has so much time in the day T_T Also Chinese really is fcking hard and frustrating that knowing Japanese helps exactly nothing since the languages are so different despite sharing a script (and I struggle matching the simplified characters with their Japanese counterparts)

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Author just really wanted to write a ghost mystery story but without starting a new series lol

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

While I don't hate this, I kinda still prefer a scenario where Yuzu is just oblivious about her feelings for Minami and pretty much completely aloof/in denial until Kamiya comes along and forces her to face those feelings. Honestly, I was expecting that sort of thing even when reading the chapter up to the "confession". It would've just fit so well with Yuzu's character and behaviour so far, this, on the other hand, feels kind of artificial. It's not terrible and that trope is a trope for a reason, as it just integrates quite easily into almost any story frame, but it definitely downgrades this story for me, which is sad.

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Both the repetition of the rules and the lack of intimacy make for a strange ending though. What is the conclusion ? That being married is the same as living together with a friend except you also promise to stay together ? The question isn't so much about us knowing they are in love (we know that) and more about why their love takes that particular shape.

Also, there is a pretty thin line, maybe even just a matter of point of view, between intimacy being unnecessary to show your characters are in love, and having to show your characters are in love within the constraint of not showing intimacy. Which I guess is why this kind of resolution reminds people of works from 30 years ago.

In the end, we know they are married, in love with each other, and they don't mind kissing - their relationship is not just for show and there is nothing inconclusive. I don't think there is an argument that the story didn't go all to way to its conclusion, or that their relationship isn't as genuine as any other you could think of. At the same time the last chapter, in which they make their wedding "official" in front of others, emphasizes physical distance (repeat of separate bedrooms and wedding without a kiss), which is a deliberate choice which, at least to me, feels a bit off-putting.

While I'd usually agree, I feel like Usui Shio's characters seem to generally all be somewhat asexual and averse to physical closeness. Cresent Moon and Donuts was even more explicitly so, but in this series I still felt that same sort of vibe. Of course it is perfectly possible to like or dislike this sort of thing, what I want to say is just that the ending feels very "on-brand" for this author, so for me at least, nothing could disappoint because this is exactly how I'd imagine things turning out.

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

While I agree that intellectually, it makes perfect sense for Kamiya to give up at that point . . . nobody ever does that. Not high schoolers, anyway. So it still feels kind of weird to me.

Well, "nobody" is definitely an overstatement, I personally did the exact same thing when I learned that my crush was in love with somebody else in high school. In general, individuals react different to such things and I don't think that it is emotionally strange for a high schooler to become overwhelmed by what feels like an utterly hopeless situation and just give up quietly. To be fair, not sure if this kind of reaction entirely fits Kamiya's character though

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Guess she realized she couldn't win, she'd already lost before she started playing.

Ultimately, that's the point. Kamiya was of course well aware of Minami's feelings for Yuzu, but if Yuzu didn't reciprocate those feelings, Minami's crush would ultimately be hopeless and thus leave a window of opportunity for Kamiya. However, seeing Yuzu's reaction and thus realising clearly that she's also got romantic feelings towards Minami, Kamiya can do nothing but give up, there's just no angle for her here.

Of course, one can criticise this as being just an expression of the trope where a convenient rival appears just at the right time of the story and then disappears again quickly, but in character it actually makes perfect sense for Kamiya to give up at this point, the more unrealistic part being her not being present as a love rival from the start.
Ultimately, I think that this series doesn't take itself too seriously and clearly follows tried and tested romcom patterns, so being a bit tropy is honestly par for the course.