Forum › Their Story discussion

joined Apr 18, 2018

Oddly seems out of place. Is the author making a subtle reference to how shitty the world slowly being, or to be more precise, regarding the Chinese goverment current state of affair?

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

OK, we all know that Tanjiu had already defied the PRC before by continuing that series, but daaaaamn. This might just be my interpretation, but the father's unfulfilled wishes seem to be Tanjiu trying to use the overprotective mother restricting Sun Jin (did I even remember her name correctly?) as a dogwhistle of how oppressive the authoritarian leftist state bureaucracies, like the one that rules China, can be. If that actually is the case, (which I don't know if it is) I, as a libertarian leftist, approve the message. My opposition to the state bureaucracy is only matched by my opposition to the bourgeois capitalism.

Savage%20juno-min
joined Oct 17, 2017

Yeah, as much as I appreciate the sucker punch this chapter is, it makes me a little worried for the author. It's grim stuff.

I expected an upbeat note of defiance at the end. I hope it's just separated into two chapters.

herenowforever
Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

Oddly seems out of place. Is the author making a subtle reference to how shitty the world slowly being, or to be more precise, regarding the Chinese goverment current state of affair?

For me it seems to be more about a culture of victim blaming and self-suppression than what government is forcibly doing.

Looking at the context of that chapter: It's just ordinary people telling each other and themselves to be afraid and to not stick out, in order to avoid things like rapists and molesters and people like the dude earlier in this story that was trying to take panty shots with his cellphone camera and how doing that to yourself will shrink your happiness and horizon of possibilities in a huge way.

last edited at Jul 1, 2019 4:59AM

joined Feb 23, 2016

I don’t think this is Their story though... because her father and mother is are different persons and SJ mom looks pretty much laid back... unless she was raised by her very strict grandma.. that would change things alot...

last edited at Jul 1, 2019 5:21AM

joined Apr 24, 2018

Wow that escalated quickly. Suddenly became so much darker

joined Mar 8, 2019

I like the message. People deal with these dilemmas all the time but for the context of the story it does seem out of place.

I know we only got snippets of Sun Jing’s mom but she seemed cool and not at all this high strung/overprotective.

While it would explain Sun Jing’s attire, it doesn’t account for her sporty attitude. I mean, why isn’t she worried that her daughter is sporty? Sun Jing could get injured playing.

Is the mom only worried about the harm other people could bring to her daughter? If that’s the case, her mom would have trouble with her friends. If she’s hanging around too many guys’ an overprotective mother could construe this as her daughter being prone to sexual assault.

Unless the naysayer wasn’t her mother? I mean she seemed to always be told what she shouldn’t do while wearing a backpack...

Besides Sun Jing pretty much did all those things, save for wearing a short skirt, at Mophead’s birthday party so maybe this isn’t really part of the story but more of a what if.

joined Feb 23, 2016

I have confirmed this is Not Their story.. The Author always marks her entries, this for another series she’s making.. She always uses #SQ for entries and this one wasn’t one of them

last edited at Jul 1, 2019 5:30AM

Ryokoayeka2
joined Sep 6, 2017

May not be Their Story but had an amazing impact and i'm glad i read it. I think it sums up what a lot of people feel these days, especially women.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

And something tells me that you would hate Hana Ni Arashi.

They're already dating in Hana ni Arashi tho.

How did you know? I thought it was a secret from everyone.

SgtErytronne
joined Nov 9, 2018

I have confirmed this is Not Their story.. The Author always marks her entries, this for another series she’s making.. She always uses #SQ for entries and this one wasn’t one of them

That's good to know cuz I was confused, I was like, "Hold on, none of this lines up with Tamen de Gushi at all"

Probably doesn't help that the girl looks like Sun Jing and Sun Jing would never wear a skirt that short

'bout the only feminine thing she wears is her school uniform and even the way she wears THAT has a masculine edge to it (Of course, this is one of the reasons why she's so lovable aside from Sun Jing being a goof and having ZERO patience for this shame culture bullshit)

last edited at Jul 1, 2019 7:17AM

joined Feb 23, 2016

That's good to know cuz I was confused, I was like, "Hold on, none of this lines up with Tamen de Gushi at all"

Probably doesn't help that the girl looks like Sun Jing and Sun Jing would never wear a skirt that short

'bout the only feminine thing she wears is her school uniform and even the way she wears THAT has a masculine edge to it (Of course, this is one of the reasons why she's so lovable aside from Sun Jing being a goof and having ZERO patience for this shame culture bullshit)

I know right~ but that other girl has the same facial cuteness as QT ~ SJ would actually encouraged that girl, maybe they will intersect one day :D cheer her up a bit~ or maybe she meets SJ father

last edited at Jul 1, 2019 7:36AM

Girl%20with%20a%20black%20cat%20avatar
joined Dec 27, 2015

Powerful.
It’s sad, the world is filled with so many kind and loving people. And yet, there is so much hurt, especially to women, it’s sad.

joined Feb 15, 2019

Those were my thoughts exactly! Constantly being told 'it's not safe" in response to every idea or thought she wants to do really seems like a metaphor for the censorship to me. At least, that's how I read it... especially with how out of place it seems compared to the light-hearted tone of the most recent updates.

Alien%209%20kumi
joined Feb 28, 2019

That one chapter that hit you hard

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

This is all I could think of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-OviftusB8

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

true story

herenowforever
Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

Now that I actually recall where I saw this stuff last time, this has be a very direct critique of victim blaming and fearmongering, regardless of who is doing it. Last year there was a deadly incident in China, where a young woman named Li Mingzhu was raped and killed after using a popular ride-share application.

Professor Wang Dawei gave this exact advice we see in this chapter to women, so they can avoid getting assaulted or killed. Also, this insensitive prick even said that more attractive women have to do be even more careful about it:

"In a now-deleted Weibo post regarding the Didi case, Wang suggested women should not hail rides under three circumstances — when it’s late at night, when the destination is a remote or unfamiliar location, or when the passenger is a single woman without any companion."

https://supchina.com/2018/05/23/safety-tips-are-the-last-thing-that-chinese-women-need-after-didis-murder-case/

Dawei is hardly the only one doing this, of course.

last edited at Jul 1, 2019 12:09PM

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

That's great advice. Don't do anything. And never alone. Just sit still. Because you're weak. Is better anyway, because you're more pretty that way. #sarcasmend

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

Okay, I have no idea what prompted ch 189, or how it fits the rest of the story, but I have tears streaming down my face right now. My heart has just been torn into confetti.

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

..boi, that was unexpectedly deep.

Also, I appreciate that this was the next thing to pop up after these forum posts:

is nobody gunna mention how unbelievably short Qui Tong's skirt is

We had 3 whole strips about how QT's skirt is short. And also how she can wear whatever she likes.

Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019

So this Chapter 189 ISN'T Their Story, right? Is it going to be removed (or at least listed as something else) at some point? People are getting confused.

It's still good though, and the translators went to the trouble of translating it, so I hope it stays on this site in some capacity.

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

This is all I could think of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-OviftusB8

O.0
and here I was hoping it would be that scene in the Croods where the father constantly insists all new things are scary and result in early onset of death.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

So this Chapter 189 ISN'T Their Story, right? Is it going to be removed (or at least listed as something else) at some point? People are getting confused.

It's still good though, and the translators went to the trouble of translating it, so I hope it stays on this site in some capacity.

Agreed—I think it’s a wonderful piece. It certainly looks like it’s not Their Story, though.

S129
joined Aug 2, 2015

Shit. That really hit home.

To reply you must either login or sign up.