Forum › Posts by Megumiaki

Megumiaki
Citrus + discussion 21 Oct 10:18
Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019

Not giving anything away, but more of a cultural question.

Mei is making a speech to the entire student body, however, I do not understand why she addresses to the student body as "Minnasama". I thought one should call peers as "Minnasan", no? As the student council president and also as a senior, she is the most senior member of the student body, so I do not understand why she would use "sama" to any student, let alone the entire student body. The only persons she technically can use that term "sama" is to Yuzu, ie, oneesama, or Himeko, because Himeko comes from has a much much much more respected and old super rich family, ie, a higher social class.

I should be able to answer that! In Japanese, the use of formal/humble language (such as "desu" or the honorific "-sama") isn't solely determined by social status or "rank". It's true that you often use formal language with your elders and those in a higher position than you, but you do so out of an effort to be respectful/formal, not because there's an inherent rule about age or status that you need to follow. So, any situation in which it would be appropriate to be respectful/formal is a situation where it makes sense to use formal/humble language. In this case, Mei is addressing the student body in a very formal capacity, making an official announcement as a representative of the student council. In fact, the language she uses all throughout the speech is dripping with formality, which is something I spent a lot of time trying to accurately represent in my translation. If Mei were to casually address a group of her peers in a normal school setting, I would fully expect her to use "minasan" instead.

I still feel like at the end of the day we are setting up for it to be Mei that's worried about Yuzu and Arata. It's barely there but I got the impression that, that's where we'll go. And now I'm assuming Yuzu will try and hang out with Arata more in order to get to know him.

This is what I'm thinking, too. I've also always felt that, if Arata starts crushing on anyone, it'll be Yuzu rather than Mei, which would be even more reason for Mei to be the jealous one for once.

Megumiaki
Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019

I discovered Sakura Trick by chance over five years ago through a SiIvaGunner rip that used the anime's OP as its melody. It was the first encounter I'd ever had with the yuri genre, and it's no exaggeration to say that it completely changed the course of my life. I didn't know a word of Japanese back then, but the yuri genre played a major role in motivating me to stick to my studies and develop my skills as a translator. Now, I have the incredible honor of providing translations for high-profile yuri works, and I've begun to break into the industry as a professional translator as well. I owe so much to this legendary manga, and I quite literally would not be where I am today without it. Thank you, Sakura Trick, from the bottom of my heart.

Megumiaki
Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019

That director is shady. Intimacy scenes are usually HEAVILY choreographed. If it's not in the script, they don't do it. If there are any changes, they have to get permission from the actors, the director, and even an intimacy coordinator. This was not cool at all.

Yeah, I came here to say that, at least in the American acting industry (since that's all I can speak for), there's literally someone whose whole job it is to make sure moments of intimacy are performed safely and according to plan. Just like how you don't improvise fight scenes because of the risk of physical injury, you don't just spring a tongue kiss on someone without their knowledge and consent.

Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/there_is_no_love_wishing_upon_a_star_ch04#6

This page is one of my favorite subtle moments in the chapter. What Fuyuki is really saying here is, "He wasn't able to ask her on a date, but he was able to tell her he loved her...which is the one thing I haven't been able to do." When she says "it's funny", I get the sense that she's laughing at her own cowardice just as much as she is Kyou's.

Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019

Something interesting I noticed about this chapter is Fuyuki and Eri's differing opinions on keeping secrets. Fuyuki has secrets she wants to keep, so she says it's okay for Eri to keep secrets as well. Eri doesn't like keeping secrets, so she says she doesn't want Fuyuki keeping secrets from her, either. They both hold each other to the same standards they hold themselves to, but those standards aren't the same.

Megumiaki
Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019
Akdrh25-1613588340351336455-img1

Taking lessons from Euphie and Anis ahead of them

last edited at May 6, 2023 11:56PM

Megumiaki
Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019
Zihacheol-1616710618404487169-img1

Keeping the bloodline boppin

Megumiaki
Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019
Tencryingemojis-1648057099727798272-img1

Yep, characters from the story DLC.

Megumiaki
Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019
Tencryingemojis-1629635692811747331-img1

...I need to hurry up and get to that A support.

Megumiaki
Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019
Lovebirds

Don't play Blue Reflection Sun, play Towa Tsugai. It's everything BR Sun should have been.

Here's the trailer!

last edited at Feb 27, 2023 11:39PM

Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019

I want to point out that in the beginning Kyou's wording says "going to a wedding" not "getting married", so unless this is a translation context issue or a fake out, this might not be his wedding.

Don't worry, it's deliberate. We don't know whose wedding it is yet—it's intentionally left ambiguous. The original Japanese line is 結婚式なんです, literally "It's a wedding."

Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019

We're off to a bit of a tumultuous start, but I trust this author to make it good!

The first few chapters are coming out weekly, so while we won't be translating them quite that fast, you can expect to see Chapter 2 sometime soon™!

Megumiaki
Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019
I46n9if

Nijika's face in the second panel is the face of a cold-blooded killer about to delete her victim

last edited at Feb 24, 2023 12:27AM

Megumiaki
Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019
Pinkroll1280-1624343506293755904-img1

The red kessoku band of fate

Megumiaki
Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019
Dashsdoodles-1623932124884770817-img1

"My goddess"

Megumiaki
Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019
Ffdart-1623024711964954624-img1

Woo, finally starting to see some Engage yuri!

Also Etie best girl

Megumiaki
Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019
Nokhong_y-1617979708066660352-img1

I feel like it's rare to see a piece of art that features such genuinely joyful laughter. This is such a beautiful scene.

Megumiaki
Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019

That Halloween special was the funniest shit I've ever seen

Megumiaki
Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019
104460821_p0

Kita's crush on Ryo always felt like a sort of superficial infatuation to me (kind of like Chinatsu's infatuation with Yui in Yuru Yuri). Her relationship with Bocchi, on the other hand, feels more personal and genuine.

Megumiaki
Citrus + discussion 20 Jan 09:03
Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019

Hope you enjoy this extra Volume 5 bonus!

Guest Artists Featured:
Miman (Yuri Is My Job!)
Iwami Kiyoko (Luminous=Blue, My Girlfriend's Not Here Today)
Mukunoki Nanatsu (Watashi ni Tenshi ga Maiorita!)
Kashikaze (Can't Defy the Lonely Girl)
tsuke (Please Spoil Me, Hinamori-san!)
Takeshima Eku (Whispering You a Love Song)
Yuama (Kimi to Tsuzuru Utakata)
Orihi Chihiro (Chasing Spica)
Utatane Yuu (The Skirt Sings at the Landing)
Manio (Kitanai Kimi ga Ichiban Kawaii)
Usui Shio (Crescent Moon and Doughnuts, Trying Out Marriage With My Female Friend)

last edited at Jan 20, 2023 9:27AM

Megumiaki
Citrus + discussion 16 Jan 20:25
Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019

The unfinished September 8th chapter from last month has been updated with the finished art from the volume, so check it out if you're interested!

Megumiaki
Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019
Nijikita

The dorito got eaten

Megumiaki
Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019

I kind of expected a horror fest for the sake of simple shock value after that opening, but it quickly turned out to be a serious and well crafted story and I was pleasantly surprised. I especially liked the realism with which the characters were portrayed, particularly the main girl. An alcoholic single parent who depends upon her daughter for support through the drunkenness and actively rewards said support with expressions of affection and love, creating a positive feedback for the child. No wonder Mea came to regard her mother's alcoholism as a good thing and felt helpless and abandoned once that positive affirmation was taken away from her. [...]

I just wanted to say, this is a really well-written analysis. It made me appreciate the story a whole lot more.

Megumiaki
Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019
Team4tl-1610274632585842688-img1

^That's my favorite insert song too! I just can't get enough of the guitar part during the chorus.

Megumiaki
Citrus + discussion 16 Dec 21:26
Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019

It also happened at the beginning of the arranged marriage arc too in the original series & that too got fixed & replaced on here as well. So when volume 5+ comes out next month those fixed images will replace the unfinished one's here too.

Yep, that's the plan.