Forum › Posts by Es0teric

joined Mar 21, 2017

Are there any good grunge/alt rock duets, anyway? I can't think of any.

Kinda? Temple of the Dog had Chris Cornell on lead vocals with Eddie Vedder singing co-lead on some songs. And then there was Alice in Chains which had two singers singing dual vocals.

joined Mar 21, 2017

Yeah, like I feel I've watched this movie before. Where the hitman finds someone they care about and try to get it both ways.

Are you thinking of Leon: The Professional?

joined Mar 21, 2017

Funny you say that when It's even contested among the experts...

Oh the popularized form of Stockholm syndrome is not accepted as a clinical term at all, I'm talking about the underlying concept of traumatic bonding and suspension bridge effect. Attachment to captor or abuser. These phenomena are real. I assumed that the concept itself was put into question rather than the colloquial term used for it.

It is always curious how a simple joke from my initial post can be used as a platform to deep dive into at best tangential topics. But I suppose if posters are willing to find discourse about Machiavelli in a gag manga nothing is off the table.

I'm talking about the concept of Stockholm Syndrome as being heavily contested, not the term by itself. Too many issues with reproducibility due to ethical issues etc. Of course, there is a lot more to it than just that but if I'm going to apply myself to discussing this I could instead be doing my research reports lol

last edited at May 13, 2023 7:18PM

joined Mar 21, 2017

This is like watching a trainwreck.

joined Mar 21, 2017

Is there such a thing as being Stockholm'd into becoming wingwomen?

There probably isn't generally such a thing as Stockholm syndrome at all.

That is just not true. The phenomenon is very real (at least in certain applications), regardless of whether the original case applies or not. It is completely within human psychology, it is the same reason people keep loving their abusers or people sympathize more with the villain. A mixture of the suspension bridge effect and the need to fix another individual.
Then again, every person on the internet considers themselves more qualified than experts on every topic, so we are both most likely not going to revolutionize psychology with our thoughts.

Funny you say that when It's even contested among the experts...

last edited at May 11, 2023 2:14AM

joined Mar 21, 2017

They're obviously going to meet their future boyfriends at this gig.

joined Mar 21, 2017

Imagine making your new best totally straight girl friend blush like that. Totally a straight girl move.

last edited at Dec 19, 2022 12:02AM

Es0teric
joined Mar 21, 2017

That brought a smile to my face.

joined Mar 21, 2017

I was actually hoping someone could clarify asexuality for me as I am a sexual person,

The prefix 'a-' can mean "on, in, at", "in such state or condition", "in the manner of", or "not or without" depending on conext. Therefore, the word asexual can mean to be without or to not have sex or to be in the state or condition of sex. Asexuality can be no sex and can be having sex.

However, if one derives some form of fulfillment from sex, isn't that just being sexual regardless of importance and or prevalence or rate of occurrence?

I would have to assume that asexuality is ultimately defined by a state of absence of sex that is sustained without any desire for sex and any derived fulfillment from sex. Rather, an asexual person may have sex, but they won't miss or desire sex after a time of not having it and or when never having had sex?

Asexuality is a spectrum.

Basically, asexuality means not being sexually attracted to others.

However, there's romantic asexuals, who have relationships, but not sex. There's aromantic asexuals, who have no desire for relationships. There's grey asexuals who do feel sexual attraction, under very specific conditions only. There's demi-asexuals, who feel sexual attraction only after getting to know someone and creating a bond with them. And others.

I just say "I'm just me."

For examples in webcomics, there's Erin in Girls with Slingshots.
Vincent in How to Be a Werewolf who's demisexual.
Fiona in Supernormal Step.
Hannelore in Questionable Content.
Shades of A, the protagonist is ace.
Dina in Dumbing of Age is grey-ace.

Note, the A in LBGTIA2S+ stands for asexual, NOT ally.
https://www.asexuality.org/

This is a good explanation.

joined Mar 21, 2017

Holding hands is pretty affectionate for us.

joined Mar 21, 2017

That's fair enough, this is all subjective really.

Plus i relate to these two characters and don't consider my relationship of 12 years to be platonic. So i'm biased.

last edited at Dec 7, 2022 11:19PM

joined Mar 21, 2017

I feel like we've come up with too many labels for platonic love.

I am NOT trying to start anything. Just stating an observation.

Which definition of platonic are you using? I've seen two.

joined Mar 21, 2017

They're dating, they care about each other, does it matter how they show effection? What's really important is what they mean to each other.

I'm Ace but not neccessarily Aro, but it's important to remember that both are spectrums.

last edited at Dec 7, 2022 10:55PM

joined Mar 21, 2017

Excuse me, when did PunkRock get renamed to PopPunk?

PopPunk sounds like a slur punk purists would use against punk bands that decides to make nice sounding music

Pop punk has always been a thing. There is a pretty clear difference between punk music and pop-punk music especially in the lyrical content. In the end though it's just a categorization used to differenciate the DIY anti political origins of punk and the more teenage angsty music of pop-punk.

Don't get too hung up about it, if you like pop-punk then just keep listening to it cause all that matters is what you enjoy.

last edited at Dec 6, 2022 12:42AM

joined Mar 21, 2017

I'll see you in 2 chapters when we get this one continued.

joined Mar 21, 2017

that isnt willow as in willow smith is it right? like... "I thought it was a good idea to collab with known pedo Machine Gun Kelly" on a hacky, creeper pop punk song, willow smith??? worrisome taste lol... i stepped in bizarro world bc i thought yall millennial dad rock heads would not be down with her at all.

I've kinda held back to be honest.

joined Mar 21, 2017

And i still have no idea what OTP stands for.

Serious answer: In this context, "One True Pairing", the couple or 'ship' that you want to see happen. Years ago, Harry Potter fandom had big fight between Harry/Hermione and Ron/Hermione fans, people who had e.g. Harry/Hermione as their OTP. It's even made it to a dictionary! https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/what-does-otp-mean-one-true-pairing

In a crytographic context, "one-time password" is indeed the meaning of OTP. The other answers are jokes.

Yeah i was partially joking when i originally said One Time Password as i knew it couldn't be that, but i also honestly wasn't so sure what it meant in this context.

last edited at Dec 2, 2022 1:49PM

joined Mar 21, 2017

One time password?

One true password

Only true password

Only tits please

┬┴┬┴┤ ͜ʖ ͡°) ├┬┴┬┴

And i still have no idea what OTP stands for.

joined Mar 21, 2017

One time password?

joined Mar 21, 2017

This jumping just confuses me.

It took me a third re-read to even realize that the first page wasn't following up directly from the end of the last chapter. (I finally realized it when I noticed she's wearing different clothes...) And to understand what the heck was going on.

I'm pretty sure now that the implication of the first page is that Ibuki has been psyching herself up to drink in front of people who aren't Botan in order to improve her confidence. And she looked at Botan's contact profile, but then closed it without contacting her.

I agree with your assessment. It's just a such a jump since the last chapter doesn't even feel complete.

joined Mar 21, 2017

This jumping just confuses me.

joined Mar 21, 2017

I'm definitely a decaying 40 year old.

joined Mar 21, 2017

Getting my partner to talk for me is something i can relate to.

joined Mar 21, 2017

Kuran's hair is weirding me out. Why is it thinning at the bottom like that?

I dunno maybe she has alopecia

judging by the the cover isn't that just a different color?

It's how her hair is dyed. It's callled peekaboo highlights or something similar.

last edited at Nov 23, 2022 2:29PM

joined Mar 21, 2017

No wonder i dont feel like I'm in my 40's, yuri really does make us feel younger.