Forum › Posts by Ultraxion

joined Mar 15, 2015

Unfortunately, this anime doesn't seem to be on Crunchyroll, which is a shame, since I'm thinking about going back there to watch a few other series. Apparently, it's only on HIDIVE.

joined Mar 15, 2015

AristocraticRose posted:

Is it just me or is the upload not complete for this update?

It's 3.1

Official site releases half chapters.

I notice that sometimes, a decimal point in a chapter title indicates that the chapter is an omake that takes place between the chapters, and sometimes, it's a second part. I could tell based on Chapter 2 that "two-part" chapters are going to be a trend for this series.

I liked the explanation of why Wakaba calls Komaki "Umezono." I wonder if the fact that Wakaba refers to Komaki by her first name in her thoughts implies that she's fonder of her than she's willing to openly admit.

joined Mar 15, 2015

I'm not sure how I feel about adding new major characters. If they get too carried away, it could potentially be detrimental to the story by overcomplicating the Mizuki-Momo-Yanagi triangle.

joined Mar 15, 2015

Do you think we should make Shiho and Aki the main characters? Last year I sent a request to MAL to turn Kanoko and Sumika of Yuri Is My Job into the main characters (it was accepted). So I'm thinking of sending a request to turn Shiho and Aki into main characters, but it seems more difficult than that series. Because Shiho appeared quite late, and Aki only had an important role from chapter 30 onwards.

I suppose it depends on where the story is going from here. If the two still keep staying in focus for a longer time, it should be OK. Otherwise mighty be difficult indeed.

I'd disagree with making Sumika and Kanoko the main characters of Yuri Is My Job. The current Kanoko/Sumika arc may be rather long, but in the end, their relationship seems to be the secondary one, since it's influenced by the status of Hime and Mitsuki's relationship.

As for this series, I was a bit surprised by how quickly Yori and Himari got together- usually, the alpha couple has more trouble getting together than the beta couple- even with the "love at first sight" trope. I'm personally curious as to how long this series will continue.

According to the story of Yuri Is My Job, after a Hime-Yano arc will be followed by a Kanoko-Sumika arc, and the longest arc in the manga currently is the Kanoko-Sumika arc, so calling them MCs is not wrong. And Kanoko seems to appear in the story more than Hime. Except for the first arc, the remaining arcs all have Kanoko in them.
As for this manga, having an anime after Yori-Himari became a couple in chapter 15 has surpassed many people's expectations. Usually a manga series will end after the main characters become a couple. This is quite understandable as many readers feel that after the main characters become a couple, they will lose interest in reading further

I'd call Kanoko the deuteragonist or perhaps tritagonist- one of the top 4 main characters but not necessarily the top- since Kanoko mainly seems to react to events rather than driving the plot herself. After all, if Hime hadn't accidentally injured Mai's arm, she never would have ended up working for Liebe and wouldn't have seen or heard from Mitsuki again, thus causing her and Kanoko's relationship to remain unchanged.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

As good as Koe no Katachi/A Silent Voice was, Shoya's bullying was a lot worse than Shizuku's, to the point that some people were turned against him from the start. He went out of his way to make Shoko's life miserable, ruined 1.7 million yen worth of hearing aids (well over $14,000 US), got the rest of the class to join in and ultimately caused her to become suicidal, all for no better reason than to kill his boredom.

that´s the thing tho, kids can be extremely cruel without a real reason, shoya´s actions are not unrealistic at all. I guess the point is that the whole ruri incident could be solved by with just a bit of communication and was definetly blown out of proportions while shoya´s long and hard fought redemption feels apropiate to the amount of hurt he did

My point wasn't that his actions were unrealistic- it's that they were so petty and cruel that people understandably concluded that there was nothing he could possibly do to make up for them, to say nothing of characters like Ueno who were similarly cruel but much less remorseful for their actions. It's kind of like how, after Bakugo casually suggested that Midoriya jump off the roof in the first chapter of My Hero Academia, people held that one remark against him hundreds of chapters later even after he actually apologized to Midoriya- if a character's actions are bad enough, the audience becomes unwilling to accept that character being forgiven or redeemed. In fact, some people on this thread felt this way about Shizuku.

joined Mar 15, 2015

Do you think we should make Shiho and Aki the main characters? Last year I sent a request to MAL to turn Kanoko and Sumika of Yuri Is My Job into the main characters (it was accepted). So I'm thinking of sending a request to turn Shiho and Aki into main characters, but it seems more difficult than that series. Because Shiho appeared quite late, and Aki only had an important role from chapter 30 onwards.

I suppose it depends on where the story is going from here. If the two still keep staying in focus for a longer time, it should be OK. Otherwise mighty be difficult indeed.

I'd disagree with making Sumika and Kanoko the main characters of Yuri Is My Job. The current Kanoko/Sumika arc may be rather long, but in the end, their relationship seems to be the secondary one, since it's influenced by the status of Hime and Mitsuki's relationship.

As for this series, I was a bit surprised by how quickly Yori and Himari got together- usually, the alpha couple has more trouble getting together than the beta couple- even with the "love at first sight" trope. I'm personally curious as to how long this series will continue.

joined Mar 15, 2015

Student council president of an all girls school under high expectation with grandfather being chairman of the board who expects her to succeed one day...

I'm getting some vitamin C from this one.

Not to mention that there's some family member who ended up not living up to expectations somehow- Mei's father and Asako's sister.

Speaking of which, I wonder how Asako's parents fit into all this and what kind of people they are. While it's unsurprising that Asako's grandfather would have high standards for her, one would think that his son or daughter-in-law/daughter or son-in-law would be his successor unless neither of them are alive or able to meet his expectations.

joined Mar 15, 2015

The premise is a bit cliched at first glance- seemingly perfect girl struggles with living up to expectations and falls for someone her family wouldn't approve of- but the series could have more to it than that. I'm interested in finding out more about Asako's sister and what she did to disappoint their grandfather.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015
Hino222hikari-1759593631575613762-img1

I like the part in Ivy's Forging Bonds in which she and her summer variant get jealous of the other's closeness to Alear.

last edited at Feb 27, 2024 11:19PM

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015
Yuyuy_00-1758193199016034327-img1

I'm also sticking with P3P. It helped that P3P is $20($15 when I got it on a Steam sale) and P3R is $70.

This is a bit of an unusual pair, since Yukari arguably gets along worse with Aigis than with Mitsuru(at least on the male protagonist route, when Yukari gets angrier about Aigis' closeness to the protagonist), which isn't helped by how Aigis joins after Yukari starts warming up to Mitsuru a bit. Despite this, the two have a nice reconciliation moment at the end of The Answer.

joined Mar 15, 2015

Jesus. The Viz translator couldn't make up his mind on how Konatsu addresses Koyuki. Heck, he literally couldn't keep it consistent across 2 consecutive pages.

And here we go with the misnaming again (same page for reference). You would think that after nearly 8 volumes, the translator would finally remember the two main character names. But apparently it's too hard to remember that the light hair kouhai here is called Konatsu, while Koyuki is the black hair senpai on the other side of the phone. How someone screw up 'translating' names in the first place is beyond me.

Of course the important moment arrives in chapter 28 when Koyuki asks Konatsu to call her by her given name, signaling a change in their relationship. Except that in official translation they are already on first name basic at various points previously. Gotta give it to Viz for their quality translation.

I know this reply is rather late, but the link is wrong. I believe these are the pages you were referring to.
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/nettaigyo_wa_yuki_ni_kogareru_ch26#52
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/nettaigyo_wa_yuki_ni_kogareru_ch26#53

The two specific lines are, "Senpai, I don't mind you being yourself..." and "Still, I wouldn't mind if you were to repeat a year, Senpai."

It's nice to see a series I've read be featured. I may reread it at some point.

joined Mar 15, 2015

In my experience, whenever someone sees two people together and jumps to the conclusion that they're in a romantic relationship, odds are they aren't.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

At the end, I still hate that Ruri got actually traumatized by being shoved over in primary school. Most kids have at least a brawl around that time, along with bullying.

Also, I found it very funny that Seri's tough love with Shizuku in the last chapter helped Shizuku a great deal in the end, when her coddling of Ruri is very likely a big reason Ruri is still stuck in the past.

One could argue that it's a bit over-the-top, but it's the incident the two of them remember most- for Ruri, it was the first time Shizuku laid a hand on her, and for Shizuku, it was when she was confronted with the reality that she was bullying Ruri..

It also effectively sums up Shizuku's treatment of Ruri- if you look closely, Shizuku appeared to just give Ruri a light slap on the back, only for her to actually fall over, and Shizuku's expression was clearly surprised, horrified and/or guilty as that happened (even if she brushed it off when Seri confronted her).

That's an interesting take on Seri. She was also the first person who explicitly called Shizuku's treatment of Ruri bullying, hence Shizuku's shock; even the people who complained about Shizuku blaming Ruri for their loss in the volleyball game didn't use that word. One could also use that reasoning to conclude that while Seri was right that meeting Shizuku again was painful in the short term, in the long term, it actually helped her see how much Shizuku had changed and get her to take steps to change herself..

I personally think the decision to make it unintentional bullying weakens the plot. It makes everything feel like an over exaggeration. I would have preferred it if her bullying was a bit more intentional. Maybe not like super intense, but if she had been confronted with how she was affecting Ruri but kept up her treatment anyway "for her own good", it would have been more effective for me.

You are totally right. Shizuku has a really good, emotionally charged and deep redemption arc for something that does not warrant it. Heck, I have read stories about characters that killed people and had less of a redemption than Shizuku.
I guess the author thought that having Shizuku be an actual bully would turn the readers against her, but it would serve the story, imo. For comparisons sake, I thought Koe not Katachi did a good job of an actual bully getting redemption,

As good as Koe no Katachi/A Silent Voice was, Shoya's bullying was a lot worse than Shizuku's, to the point that some people were turned against him from the start. He went out of his way to make Shoko's life miserable, ruined 1.7 million yen worth of hearing aids (well over $14,000 US), got the rest of the class to join in and ultimately caused her to become suicidal, all for no better reason than to kill his boredom.

In Shizuku's case, the fact that she hurt Ruri without realizing it ties in to what we learn about her in Chapter 29- she unintentionally made "Girls Lovers Suicide" resemble a real tragedy and thus unwittingly caused pain to those involved in it. This fear that well-intentioned actions can only hurt others is central to Shizuku's character, and it's also part of the reason why she was nervous about apologizing to Ruri, and her first assumption as to why Kaori tries to break up with her in Chapter 16- she thinks she did something that offended Kaori (who has a habit of hiding her pain and other negative emotions) without realizing it. Because of it, I'd argue that good intentions yielding bad results fits the story better.

On another topic, in Volume 4, the localization actually translates what Shizuku's writing at the start of Chapter 19. After writing some incomplete sentences that are implied to talk about the first time Kaori came over to Shizuku's house and the library date from what we can see, Shizuku writes "(sum)mer together as a," and after struggling with the sentence for a page, concludes, "But Kaori and I aren't really a couple," then writes "fake couple" to finish that sentence.

joined Mar 15, 2015

This 100% feels like a chapter one, not a oneshot. Just because of the alien part

It does have that air of a series pilot chapter doesn't it? I sure hope it gets a continuation.

I hope so, too. There's definitely room for character development, such as Ootsuka's feelings on her mission changing (especially if she gets new orders), or her being found out.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

At the end, I still hate that Ruri got actually traumatized by being shoved over in primary school. Most kids have at least a brawl around that time, along with bullying.

Also, I found it very funny that Seri's tough love with Shizuku in the last chapter helped Shizuku a great deal in the end, when her coddling of Ruri is very likely a big reason Ruri is still stuck in the past.

One could argue that it's a bit over-the-top, but it's the incident the two of them remember most- for Ruri, it was the first time Shizuku laid a hand on her, and for Shizuku, it was when she was confronted with the reality that she was bullying Ruri..

It also effectively sums up Shizuku's treatment of Ruri- if you look closely, Shizuku appeared to just give Ruri a light slap on the back, only for her to actually fall over, and Shizuku's expression was clearly surprised, horrified and/or guilty as that happened (even if she brushed it off when Seri confronted her).

That's an interesting take on Seri. She was also the first person who explicitly called Shizuku's treatment of Ruri bullying, hence Shizuku's shock; even the people who complained about Shizuku blaming Ruri for their loss in the volleyball game didn't use that word. One could also use that reasoning to conclude that while Seri was right that meeting Shizuku again was painful in the short term, in the long term, it actually helped her see how much Shizuku had changed and get her to take steps to change herself..

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

Sure, Shizuku. Just cry all over that paper, smearing out the ink all over the place. If I were her I'd keep that letter in pristine condition for as long as I live. They'd be Kaori's last bits of handwriting after all.

Anyway, what a depressing story. Just what I needed in times like these.

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure the tears on the "I Love You" are Kaori's, since they've already dried (although Shizuku probably cried on it herself, too).

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

The ending's more or less what I expected, a satisfying bittersweet conclusion to the manga. It might have been nice to learn more about why Kaori's mother died, or what the future holds in store for Shizuku, but all in all, I enjoyed it.

Has anyone else read Yuama's other work, The Girl I Want Is So Handsome? The characters aren't as interesting and there isn't as much emotional complexity, but it's significantly more lighthearted and has a happier ending, so it's worth a read, if only to see how different the two stories are.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

I'm glad that at least the worst case of ironic tragedy was avoided (Your Lie in April), but the way Shizuku's confession is dragged out, like a can being kicked down the road, again and again, even though Shizuku knows Kaori is dying, still feels manufactured to me. An arbitrary twist of the knife on top of a tragedy that would be plenty sad on its own even if the leads had been allowed to at least see each other face to face during the confession.

After thinking about it a little, rather than pointlessly cruel, Shizuku dragging her feet with the confession feels like a shortcut; the creator pulling the reins back before the situation could get too complicated.

Imagine Kaori and Shizuku in the same room together, on the same page about their mutual feelings, yet Kaori's death still hanging over them. Having to figure out what to do now. Is that not worth a few chapters to explore? Would Kaori's death be less sad if the relationship progressed beyond pining before she died?

I still like the story overall, but I guess some people love painting any criticism here as "I didn't realize this was going to be a tragedy so now I'm mad", and I guess I can't do anything about that.

I can understand where you're coming from, but at the same time, Kaori, who knows she doesn't have long left and doesn't want Shizuku to suffer, would probably pre-emptively discourage such a confession if she knew Shizuku was going to get to that point.

Spoilers for the final chapter:
Kaori explicitly says in her final letter to Shizuku that she wishes they could have had a real relationship, but she was afraid that if she told Shizuku that while she was alive, Shizuku would never move on from her death. She does reveal that in her letter, but with an apology and a request for Shizuku to live on.

joined Mar 15, 2015

The attitude of the handsome girl in page 4 makes one wonder if she's hetero...

Isn't obvious since she is joining a mixer? I wonder if anyone left the mixer straight aside from the guys there.

The girl on the far right might be a lesbian to begin with. You can see her with her hand on the girl on the center's shoulder on the first page, and she seems a bit jealous that the center girl is trying to feed Kazeno on the last page.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

I came here to be sad and relieved that they managed to confess to each other and I read the damn stinkiest takes I have ever seen in relation to this work

As a tip for next time, transient and ephemeral mean something that won't last for along time, "were" is the past tense, and if a character has a terminal illness they're limited time is usually significant to the story

This is a good point about the titles. I'm personally a bit more fond of the localized title, since it sums up the timeframe of the story while hinting at Kaori's fate.

Incidentally, though, I heard that the Japanese title gets dropped in the final chapter. I don't know the context, although I'd guess it's the title of the story Shizuku wrote with Kaori.

Speaking of the final chapter, I personally think that the worst- Kaori's death- has already happened, and that the story will end on a bittersweet note, with Shizuku and the others who knew Kaori grieving her but ultimately moving on with their lives.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

Volume 4 just came out in English.

Speaking of volumes, there are two bonus chapters that haven't been posted on this site. I'm including a brief summary of what happens in each- there aren't any spoilers, but they help flesh out some secondary characters.

Chapter 4.5 is a bonus in Volume 1. Shiori gives Kaori the morning glory seeds, and Kaori says she'll give them to her "friend"(Shizuku, obviously) whom Shiori knows Kaori has been seeing every day. Shiori is a bit worried about Kaori, but Kaori reassures Shiori that she's having fun. Shiori decides to let Kaori spend time with her "friend," but insists that Kaori spend time with her, too.

Chapter 9.5 is the first time Ruri and Seri are shown after the flashback. Seri greets Ruri at the station, and it's mentioned in passing that the reason why they wear their uniforms is because they have club activities over the summer. Seri considers getting dinner with Ruri, but Ruri flinches when she sees that the place is a curry place, a "show don't tell" way of revealing that she's still traumatized by Shizuku's bullying (in the localization of Chapter 14, she says to Shizuku, "You made me hate something I liked," implying that curry triggers her trauma). As they walk away, they get a text from Kaori.

There are a few other bonus illustrations, such as Kaori wearing Shizuku's jacket, or the two dressed as butlers, with Kaori standing on a stool to be on level with Shizuku's head.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015
Hasukeii-1747854717605355685-img1

It's nice to see fanart for this series. I'm looking forward to the ending.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

I haven't read something as confusing as the first couple of pages in a while. The narration at the start makes it unclear whether the first page is a flashback. "If it is, is the confession between pages 2 and 3? If it isn't, is page 3 an unmarked flashback? Why does Fuu-chan shout she's going to kill Fuu-chan and then herself? What uncle?" And so on. Took me four or five reads to get it straight.

The first page isn't a flashback- Haruka confessed to Fuu-chan, and after a day of Haruka avoiding Fuu-chan, Haruka came over to Fuu-chan's house.

"Uncle" is something people cry out when they want mercy.

It can be hard to tell where the arrows are going, but Haruka, the confessor, is the one who makes the murder/suicide threat.

I'm not sure whether the emotional blackmail was intended, since if a friend confesses their love and gets rejected, it's common for the friendship to never go back to normal(e.g. Sayaka and Touko). As such, while the relationship isn't exactly healthy, at least not at this point, I can sympathize with Haruka feeling on edge about the whole thing, since if she gets rejected, she'll likely lose Fuu-chan's friendship, not just the chance to go out with her.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

Did she trip on her heels and broke her neck?

That thought came to my mind, too, if only because it would tie in to the heels.

Then again, car accidents (not just car-on-pedestrian, but car-on-car and car-on-object) are a common way to suddenly kill off someone in a random way, which is probably why people made memes about being hit by a truck sending you to an isekai even though it's not all that common outside of parodies of the genre.

I find it interesting that not only did the story kill off Ellie, but it also had the protagonist hook up with someone else, albeit implying that she might have had feelings for Ellie.

Ultraxion
joined Mar 15, 2015

This definitely is a change of pace from the other series I've read on this website, in terms of subject matter, art style and tone. The art style in particular is rather surprising, not only in that it's "non-moe," but it barely even seems like manga style art.

It's a bit surprising to see cursive text in the speech bubbles, but it's also a bit difficult to read at times, such as when there's a lot of text.

Unfortunately, it's not entirely clear what the main plot will be at this point- even the provided summary, "Life of a married couple in their 20s in the suburbs of Reiwa Japan," is a bit vague. I feel as though it's their marital troubles after the husband quit his job, but I feel as though most series clearly establish the idea behind the story in the first chapter.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of the story. It's definitely not going to be lighthearted, but should still be an interesting read that shows a realistic look at married live.