Forum › Their Story discussion

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Teaching fear (or shame even), however, is not the way to do that.

Sometimes it's just that parents are overprotectives,they teach fear (indirectly)because they're afraid themselves that something happen to their kids.

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

Teaching fear (or shame even), however, is not the way to do that.

Sometimes it's just that parents are overprotectives,they teach fear (indirectly)because they're afraid themselves that something happen to their kids.

yes and ironically that can hurt their kids (psychological) more than anything

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Violence is the result of traumatic childhood, poverty, mental disorders, etc. Teaching psychopaths to not kill won't make them stop killing people.

(sorry for my english)

It's not always black and white. Sure, there are some genetically inclined people who have higher risks of killing if raised in a certain way.
But there are also the cases where it can be prevented from educating people more. The crimes won't ever fully stop, but I think we can reduce them.
This kinda reminds me of the argument of some Americans for guns. Why ban them when the killer will find a way to kill anyway? But look at the statistics of the countries who don't give guns to everyone like candy.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Actual criminal psychopaths are a sufficiently marginal demographic segment to be essentially irrelevant to the discussion - though it's probably worth noting that apparently one of the few therapy methods that shows any promise with those people is along the lines of "enlightened self-interest".

The overwhelming majority of crimes are committed by quite normally functioning people being selfish pricks for any number of reasons.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Actual criminal psychopaths are a sufficiently marginal demographic segment to be essentially irrelevant to the discussion - though it's probably worth noting that apparently one of the few therapy methods that shows any promise with those people is along the lines of "enlightened self-interest".

The overwhelming majority of crimes are committed by quite normally functioning people being selfish pricks for any number of reasons.

In addition, I'd like to back-up your point even more by saying that, not only do mentally ill criminals make an tiny minority of criminals, but they also make an tiny minority of mentally ill people.

last edited at Jul 2, 2019 6:52PM

Alcoholism
joined Apr 15, 2017

This Chapter.. sad but true.

last edited at Jul 3, 2019 2:41AM

joined Jul 26, 2016

[...] Violence is the result of traumatic childhood, poverty, mental disorders, etc. [...]

We definitely should be asking why the powers that be ignore poverty and mental health.

Better question would be why the voters ignore them, in the context of societies where - as one cynic put it - "the people get exactly the leaders they deserve" by way of the ballot box...

joined Oct 22, 2018

[...] Violence is the result of traumatic childhood, poverty, mental disorders, etc. [...]

We definitely should be asking why the powers that be ignore poverty and mental health.

Better question would be why the voters ignore them, in the context of societies where - as one cynic put it - "the people get exactly the leaders they deserve" by way of the ballot box...

I apologize for changing topics a bit, but, as shown in - not one - not two - but three memes in my most recent meme video, I question whether representative democracy is a legitimate democracy. As a LibSoc, with very scant few ideological differences from an anarchist, I'm in favour of some kind of direct or semi-direct democracy, with the power structure being bottom-up, rather than top-down (like it is in representative democracies, as well as dictatorships). It's such hierarchical top-down systems that cause oppression, division and group hate (however you want to define that last bit).
But I digress.

EDIT:
Before you ask:
In that video, it's memes 1, 2 and 8.

last edited at Jul 3, 2019 12:07PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

BV, give it a rest with self-promoting your meme videos. It's okay in the Cafe or the Discord, but no place else on the site.

To say nothing of how off-topic your views on representative democracy, which to the best of my knowledge Their Story isn't about. So maybe next time you want to apologize for changing topics, maybe hit the back button instead and don't.

joined Oct 22, 2018

BV, give it a rest with self-promoting your meme videos. It's okay in the Cafe or the Discord, but no place else on the site.

To say nothing of how off-topic your views on representative democracy, which to the best of my knowledge Their Story isn't about. So maybe next time you want to apologize for changing topics, maybe hit the back button instead and don't.

Yeah, understood. Now, what I'm about to say isn't really a defence, but more of an explanation of myself - often I tend to change topics due to real-time word association. The fault's all mine and while I can control it to an extent, it seems to be an unfixable problem. I'll try to keep it an in-thoughts-only thing as much as I can (and honestly I actually did/do so for the majority of stuff; I've lost count of how many times I had such mental rounds of real-time word association just from reading or merely thinking about these forums...).

Maybe some sort of self-imposed exile is in order... Can't punish me if I punish myself first!

last edited at Jul 3, 2019 4:15PM

matsuri_wins
4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

Wow, this was the best chapter yet even though it has nothing romantic in it.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

It's even not part of the story.

Don't%20forget%20the%20best%20girl
joined Jul 22, 2018

brilliant deduction Sherlock

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

brilliant deduction Sherlock

I'm great at pointing obvious.

last edited at Jul 4, 2019 5:44PM

matsuri_wins
4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

How is it not part of the story? Does this manga have a plot I am unaware of?

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Well the author doesn't tag it as SQ which is the tag use for the strip usually so it's technically not part of the story.

joined Mar 21, 2017

Well the author doesn't tag it as SQ which is the tag use for the strip usually so it's technically not part of the story.

I pointed that out a few pages ago but it was easily missed within all that discussion. Everything originally gets posted to her Weibo account along with her other non-SQ strips but she will tag relevant chapters with SQ.

LesbianPirate
Shithead
joined Oct 23, 2018

one day i will sit down and read this long ass manga

732535__safe_anthro_vinyl%20scratch_octavia_dj%20pon-dash-3_octavia%20melody_artist-colon-theyoungreaper1
joined Mar 14, 2016

If you really think about it, it was all Sun Jing's fault, really.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I desperately want to adopt this child.

joined May 9, 2018

IS IT BAD THAT I WANT MY CHILD TO BE LIKE HIM???

Y'know. Thoughtful for the environment.

Alien%209%20kumi
joined Feb 28, 2019

good thing I have some friends to wipe my hands on, life could be environmentally friendly with friends

Ye
joined Apr 1, 2018

Sun Jing and Qui Tong practicing their parenting for when they have a real kid

Rsz_1screenshot_2021-08-18_at_11-24-04_the_idolmaster_cinderella_girls_fr%c3%a9d%c3%a9rica_miyamoto_shiki_ichinose_%e3%83%ac%e3%82%a4%e3%82%b8%e3%83%bc%e3%83%ac%e3%82%a4%e3%82%b8%e3%83%bc_-_pixiv
joined Apr 25, 2018

The environmental message of this strip is great. Remember to wipe your hands with your friend's!

HazmatChiefAlsimi
joined Feb 9, 2019

Smart kid.

To reply you must either login or sign up.