Forum › Posts by Nya-chan

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Karretch posted:

so... Gma's the reason stuff started going downhill with the... well, not kidnapping, but the transformed run-away group? Dang. Even with the alien logic that comes with being a monster, I can tell Chitose went through some trauma with Reiko's reaction.

The chapter starts with the girls in 1971 talking about the "houko". So it existed before. Grandma isn't responsible I think.

Also, I looked up about the communist thing and it looks like it's not talking about 1968 (since it's 1971), but about the internal strife in the 70s within the Zengakuren, a student movement affiliated with the Japan Communist Party at first.

Citing Wikipedia:

"Zengakuren split up into a large number of warring "sects" (sekuto), who would battle against each other at least as much as they battled against the police.[6] Arming themselves with construction helmets painted in the colors of their various factions and large wooden staves they called "violence sticks" (gebabō, from the German Gewalt),[7] the participated in a number of struggles throughout the 1960s and beyond".

That's why the radio is talking about "students without helmets". Probably not to be identified.

Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

rusi posted:

"You'd end up in the third-string." Is that a British thing? I've never heard the expression, though I can guess the meaning from the context and the picture.

It's an American idiom for being relegated as a third choice in American Football.

Ie, she says that being out of line would get you to the bottom rung of the class hierarchy.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

rainbow8 posted:

she definitely suggested that she shouldn't try to get that job

Is it good for a 14 year old to go to work?

Koto has just PTSD from previous Aya's disappearance.

Koto isn't Aya's mother. It's obvious that she doesn't want to be a burden to Koto so she insisted on finding a job, to contribute.

Especially since in the latest chapter, she states that being alone at home feels stifling. It's not healthy either to stay cooped up in the room of a college student all day.

Imagine being a 14yo with no family or friends. She'd end up homeless or in some prostitution ring.

She probably needs to resume her education, but I suppose it's not that easy.

last edited at Mar 12, 2024 4:55PM

Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

ergzay posted:

What is the 6th chapter talking about? The translation is so strange I couldn't follow what was being talked about.

That seemed pretty obvious to me though?

Tomboy friend tried to make her give up on "childish stuff" so she'd not be ostracized in middle-school. But MC failed to understand and kept on loving her stuff.

It's got nothing to do with the translation, but with your reading comprehension (or maybe your comprehension of Japanese school culture).

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Nene posted:

SUDDENLY HETERO

I'd rather say, "suddenly a source of worry for Koto".

There's very little chance it ends up in het.

Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Welp, that got axed.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I can't exactly say why, but this is all kinds of awesome.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Hatshuharu posted:

Anyone has the source for this one? Didn't expect the author to draw this kind of stuff. Can't seem to find it on their twitter, or pixiv or whatever.

It's linked right here on top of the release with "Release Post" besides the title when you read it.

Also, Sumiko Arai, before the green manga, mostly wrote more twisted/angsty stuff, like "The Real Momoka".

last edited at Mar 3, 2024 3:24PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Cue for the MC to wake up from a dream.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

After re-reading it and looking at the hand moves and the dialogues, I think there's more than meet the eye here. It's not only a cheating story.

What I understand is that it's a tug war between the sister and the girlfriend. The girlfriend is dating the brother so that the sister "gives up" on her brocon (page 4).

So yeah, it's toxic, but it looks like the girlfriend was waiting for the sister to come home and uses the brother to show her that her bro doesn't care about her so that she moves on from her brocon.

And the sister wants her bro to dump her, both because she thinks the gf is "trash" (and she loves her bro) and because she wants her for herself.

Beautiful.

Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Faylicia posted:

i am so unbelievably ready to get hurt again

Same LOL. I can already tell this is going to be angsty but it's been ages since I've actually found any yuri worthwhile. I wish there were more realistic adult life manga out there that deal with homophobia and comphet. They are very much real issues and I find the all girls school, yuri utopias where everybody is gay kinda cringy and unrelatable.

this tbh.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

DridyEXE posted:

Yea im not gonna lie im not huge on this. As someone said, it feels like the "perfect" girl is already into the MC (im gonna guess the guy she was kissing in the flashback was the MCs crush or something) so this is probably gonna go in a similar direction as "girl who insists its impossible" except with a nastier tone and worse artstyle.
Although i just dont generally enjoy watching ppl get toyed around with mentally so im just not really the target audience for this one.

What are you on? She didn't kiss that guy.

She probably dated him, but like Japanese teens date: holding hands is as far as it goes at that age.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

SrNevik posted:

Asano

Asako.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Hirose Narumi posted:

Translation depends widely on context. But it's clear that "koibito" doesn't imply anything relationship wise. It's just "the person you're in love with". "Aijin" implies you're cheating on your official partner.

Mind you, koibito is the person you're in love with—but also the person who likes you too, and the person you are having sexytime with. It's not kataomoi if that person already is your koibito.

Anyway, the author didn't use 恋人 here. She used 愛人 which means the mom picked up on the fact there was a third party involved which wasn't the girlfriend and said "we don't need men".

Anyway, here, we have 3 households completely different.

Yuni's is a single working mother, who was probably dumped by the father of Yuni.
Nanase's is a normal family, probably with no financial problems as they have two large dogs, hence probably a house with garden.
Fuuko's is a more "traditional" family, where women are looked down on and she's constantly compared to her brothers.

I think Fuuko should go live with Yuni. I'm sure her mom will welcome her with open arms.

Nanase is well adjusted, but at the same time, she doesn't seem curious at all about Yuni's circumstances. It's in line with her insensitivity toward Yuni's need.

And when the mother talks about "someone who loves themselves first", maybe it points to Nanase.

Nanase has sensitivity issues.
Yuni has abandonment issues.
Fuuko has self-confidence issues

last edited at Feb 22, 2024 3:08PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

smirkingtyrant posted:

Why is it that translators always come across as total narcissists when talking to other people lol?

And why is it that some people who don't know the language and use google translate feel the need to "correct" someone who took the time to actually learn the language?

I'd be pissed off too.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

rusi posted:

I honestly really enjoy discussions about translations! But I feel like it's so easy to step on people's toes. Everyone has their own interpretations of words, especially if we include the sometimes wide array of interpretations among native speakers...

恋人?愛人?How do you translate those!?

Translation depends widely on context. But it's clear that "koibito" doesn't imply anything relationship wise. It's just "the person you're in love with". "Aijin" implies you're cheating on your official partner.

How is that hard to understand?

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

It's not "VS".

It's a X, meaning it's a ship.

Aya's the perceptive one, ie, she can read the mood.
Mitsuki's the oblivious one, who can't read the mood.

My interpretation of this chapter is that Aya looked at the relationship of Joe and Kanna, thought it was nice they could talk so freely and made a parallel with her own relationship with "Onii-san", obviously wishing it would be the same.

And she blurted it out to Mitsuki, forgetting for a moment that Mitsuki=Onii-san. When she realized, she ran away, but it flew over Mitsuki's head completely.

last edited at Feb 18, 2024 2:58PM

Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Pics or it didn't happen.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I think there's a misunderstanding here. This manga isn't going to go into any real questioning about sex or not.

It already vaguely alluded to it and it was just to show how immature Aya still is compared to Koto, because this isn't something she thinks about, while Koto can have that kind of thought. And that's where it'll stop.

I'll bet this manga will never go into the hard question of sex, because it's NOT what it's about. It's about a triangle, how to break it and how the characters will handle it. Also, supernatural.

You can make a doujin if you want, but I think Kabocha will never go there.

Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

The last lines are pretty explicit as to what the tomboy feels:

The sound of falling : her "friend" falling in love
The sound of breaking: the sound of her own heart breaking.

last edited at Feb 15, 2024 3:09AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

It's still unfair though. Because Aya's situation isn't from any fault of her own.

Meaning, Erika has now an unfair advantage (the age gap) which shouldn't exist. Without this, she would have zero chance, since Aya and Koto are/were in a requited love.

So, it's a bit hypocritical to say that she wants a level field and compete with Aya fairly, when Aya got a magical seven-year handicap strapped on her out of the blue.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

"I'm not like other people".

Actually, you are not alone.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Age gap, but which way?

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Nene posted:

Kumagaya saw her, like everyone else not in the know, as what she really is: a 14 yo girl.

Things will obviously change when she sees her resume (which says she's 21 yo).

I just recalled that you can only have a part-time job in Japan starting from 16yo (ie, high school).

Before that, kids can't be hired.

So, since Aya was looking for a part-time job, Kumagaya must have assumed she's 16 or 17.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Aikosaurus posted:

I could be wrong though, because there's not enough hints yet and "Aya" seems to be her own person rather than a play character.

It's not like I don't like you theory, but we've seen Aya interact with the police, former classmates and a lot of other people when Koto is not even present. I think this was done precisely to tell us that she is not an illusion.

I didn't say she was an illusion.More like an avatar of Aya summoned by Koto's obsession (and maybe also Erika's wish for this obsession to be resolved).

"Rewinding a day, going back home from school and suddenly, facing Koto and Erika 7 years later on the road" doesn't explain anything at all.

The missing tanabata day and what Aya and Erika discussed are still mysteries.

last edited at Jan 26, 2024 5:54AM