Forum › Posts by Nya-chan

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

draieck posted:

Really... It's not Erika's place to tell Aya how Koto suffered through those years. Koto and Aya are together currently so it should be Koto who tells Aya, although it seems she doesn't want to tell Aya the truth. Erika shouldn't meddle about this matter, she knows there's a fine borderline that she shouldn't cross. Trust me, it's not good when someone (even if it's a close friend) meddle on their own into an ongoing relationship that is not theirs.

Lying by omission is already meddling.

She witnessed the confession in school. She hid it. She had a conversation with Aya on Tanabata day. She hid it.

Erika clearly wants to take advantage of the situation and the seven years age gap to have Koto turn to her and she prefers to let the situation rot by itself. She's not meddling directly, but she's withholding information from both of them, including the one she has a crush on.

I'm not making her the villain, she feels guilty herself, but she's still selfish and hypocritical in my opinion.

The only one until now who's actually faultless is Aya.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Am I the only one to find Erika utterly selfish? One her friends, or at least the girl she wanted to measure up to, goes missing and she doesn't give two shits, she only focuses on Koto.

I get it, she love Koto and has rivalry with Aya. But from the beginning, Erika has been an asshole to Aya, hiding things from her, not caring two bits about what happened in these seven years, not telling her about how Koto suffered and when Aya disappeared, she didn't seem that shocked or sad. And there's still that Tanabata day conversation with Aya, that Aya forgot, that she's hiding.

And she also stated that the return of Aya was convenient for her because then she hoped Koto and her would break up (she probably saw Koto's obsession first hand) and then she would be able to have Koto, because she's got a 7 years head start in maturity.

What happens to Aya after that? How Koto will feel? Is Koto even remotely interested in having a serious relationship with Erika? Erika doesn't seem to care, she thinks only about her own goal: victory over Aya.

I know "poor" Erika has her supporters, but I just can't find her sympathetic. She totally lacks empathy and considers the other two girls only in relation with her own goal.

last edited at Apr 23, 2024 12:45PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

OrangePekoe
Admin
posted:

Dammit this chapter was such vibes but it said NOTHING! Ahh. It was really great to see the past again. I hope Koto takes it easy on poor Aya…

I don't think it "said nothing". It elaborated on Koto's obsession about Aya and how she clings to a perfect picture of her in the past. Over seven years, Koto could never forget Aya, even for a minute. She tried to change, tried to move on, tried to date other people, but she just couldn't fill up the hole Aya left.

The box symbolizes all her memories of Aya she keeps locked up, unchanging and idealized. And the final panel shows her locking up in that box the returned Aya.

But the returned Aya's starting to change and it doesn't bode well for their future relationship.

Nya-chan
Semelparous discussion 21 Apr 08:51
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

dfordii posted:

Any update about this series?

The author put it in hiatus.

Stopped publishing chapters since 2022.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I'm constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop with this manga.

It's full of fluffy moments, but you can feel the drama lurking at the edge.

Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

How is this yuri? They're just super friends.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

After re-reading the 10 chapters, I noticed a few things.

• The time travel is never addressed. Aya just re-appeared after 7 years on the day Koto and Erika were visiting their old middle school and Koto was finally ready to move on. It's too much of a coincidence.

• Aya has that bracelet with a bell around her wrist at all times. It's often featured. I wonder how significant it is

• There's still that conversation between Aya and Erika on Tanabata day that hasn't been addressed yet. Did Aya forget or is she a version of Aya from the day before? Is it even the "real" Aya or are we in some kind of theater play?

I can't help but think that in the end, it'll be all a play and the characters will bow to the audience. But it'd be a bit too easy/corny. I hope there's more to it than "thank you for watching the play written by Koto".

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Faylicia posted:

I was so worried Miyako would break up with Ayako to "protect" her. I'm so glad they didn't go down that route.

Also what stage is their relationship right now. They've dated for months now, are sharing a bed, and taking baths together. But I don't think I've seen them kiss once yet. Is it implied to have happened off screen?

They're a couple, that's all.

There's no need for more.

Yeah, I'm confused too lol. I mean sure, they're a couple but after a while you'd start wondering if you haven't kissed like, does this person even like me? are they asexual? what's going on? I'm here waiting for the kiss like o__O

In all the Yodokawa works I've read, I don't think there ever was a kiss.

This one is the most explicitly yuri of her works. Most of the time, it's just suggested.

But here, we have an actual established couple. Their love is made of little attentions, being comfortable around each other and sharing warmth with hugs and cuddling.

Kisses are not a mandatory part of a couple's life. Maybe they do kiss off-screen, or even have sex. But this is not the kind of stuff Yodokawa draws.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Purple Library Guy posted:

And while she did disappear suddenly, unless I'm misinterpreting what is being said they still seem to be saying that she gave a farewell concert the first time.

It's said in the very first chapter. She announced she was retiring in the middle of a concert, without informing the staff and without giving any explanation. So it was not a proper retirement concert.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/maitsuki_niwatsuki_ooyatsuki_ch01#4

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

It's not her mom. Her parents are in Kansai, remember. And they're cram school teachers.

I think people don't understand what the problem is for ELM. They spent a year to rebuild the group's image, with Ruri as the new leader, but then Miyako reappears in the public eye. It can only lead to speculation from the fans and media that she's going to come back because Ruri is inadequate. So it puts Ruri and the group in an awkward position.

Second, she's living with Asako and if the Paparazzi start chasing her, they'll eventually learn of her relationship with her and will harass her ("Miyako's girlfriend revealed!"). Even if in the Yodokawaverse there's no homophobia, it's not good if Asako gets her life and history plastered in the media.

The problem from the point of view of the agency is that she retired suddenly without giving any explanation and just went "poof". It can only lead to speculations from the fans that something is fishy, like the rumors that Ruri was bullying Miyako with the power of her spoiled rich girl background and wanted to replace her as a leader. They have plans to protect idols who retire, but Miyako ran away before any of that could be implemented. Result: she got caught.

What the director is suggesting is that she comes back ONCE, to make a proper farewell concert and wrap things up properly with a public explanation, so it puts a halt to speculations. Then, they'll protect Miyako, and Asako by extension, until things are settled.

It's not a bad plan, even if Miyako is reluctant to go back on stage.

last edited at Apr 11, 2024 2:22AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

renivxii posted:

In chapter 81 in the last panel is she laughing or is she shaking because she needed to puke badly?

Kanna is suppressing her laughing.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

"Does that mean she wants to get in my pants?"

last edited at Apr 8, 2024 3:04PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Nekkowe posted:

That's so far-fetched. It's not like errors in someone's paperwork are unheard of or legally incorrigible. She's very clearly not an adult in any sense. In chapters 2 and 3, it's mentioned that she's had her identity vouched for and is being interrogated by the police, what happened to that? Did she never check in with her own middle school after her return?

"I got spirited away seven years ago and I'm back. Can I resume my education where I left off? Officially, I'm 21, but I'm 14 really. Trust me."

As explained before, from the POV of the authorities, she was a missing person that reappeared. Her reasons for disappearing and reappearing are not something the Japanese police will look into too closely, because of their strong privacy laws and culture.

You may find it strange that she wasn't grilled by the police until she spilled out what happened to her, but it's not that strange from the POV of a Japanese reader. As far the authorities are concerned, she's been confirmed to be the same person, she's 21, she's an adult, she has people willing to give her a home, no crime has been committed that they know of, so, end of story.

She'd still be the spitting image of any school photographs taken at the time, with all the stuff in her bag not having aged a day either. The idea that she'd be turned down as "technically an adult now" rather than just re-enter school where she left off, solely on the basis of her original birth year, is completely bonkers to me.

Some people look really young and can be confused for teens. I had a friend who was tiny and had a youthful face and even though she was 20+ she often had to show her id to prove she wasn't a minor.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Blastaar posted:

Meanwhile, Uncle is such an awesome dork. It's nice when it's a story about teens but some of the adults have actual personalities rather than just being "responsible parental figure #3".

Or worse yet, the perennial manga "parents who are never there," whose personalities consist entirely of being "mom who works way too hard because the family is poor," "absent dad who only cares about work," "both parents who travel all the time," or "mom/dad who has another family," etc.

As you say, Joe has a past life, a present circle of friends, and has been a profound influence on his cool-adorkable niece.

You forgot the "abusive controlling parent who want their progeny to be perfect (or worse, heterosexual)".

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

ronkytonk posted:

Is it implied the boy also got lost in a vacuum somewhere for x number of years? Probably not, but that was the first thing I thought of rather than him being a potential love interest.

It's just implied the boy dropped out of middle school, presumably because of delinquency/family issues.

Also, neither of them seem to be interested in the other romantically. He just related because he thought she had similar circumstances.

People seeing romance here are just as bad as the sister : creepy.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

17hunter00 posted:

what happened with this ToT

Translator is busy with life.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Mu posted:

….. to be totally honest, I’m not 1000% sure what’s happening here. XD

What the heck happened with that boy that apparently ruined their friendship? Especially considering how very not-present he is now, and how Komaki is trying to very literally get into Wakaba’s pants at the arcade. O_o I can only assume it was some totally wild misunderstanding? Komaki taking a joke too far, not realizing she’d actually hurt Wakaba’s feelings?

I have a hunch that Wakaba had a crush on that guy and Komaki struck preemptively and "dated" him (middle school dating, so hand-holding at most) to prevent Wakaba from straying too far from her.

"Better be hated than forgotten" I guess.

That's why Wakaba resented her.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

AristocraticRose posted:

Is it just me or is the upload not complete for this update?

It's 3.1

Official site releases half chapters.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Yuri_book_club posted:

Whether the character development is positive or negative doesn't matter; there's no inherent morality to it. Thus far, I haven't seen any convincing arguments that Yuni has changed. She still exhibits self-centered behavior, lacks communication skills, blames others, and is willing to disregard others' feelings. Moreover, I haven't observed her expressing any sense of remorse in her actions or thoughts, whereas for instance Fuuko has demonstrated meaningful character growth.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_girlfriends_not_here_today_ch21#4
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_girlfriends_not_here_today_ch21#26
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_girlfriends_not_here_today_ch21#25
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_girlfriends_not_here_today_ch23#23

Sorry, I call this "character development". In the previous chapters, Yuni felt guilt because she was cheating on Nanase.

In later chapters, she now clearly feels guilt and remorse because she wronged Fuuko as much as she wronged Nanase, so she's wavering in her previous decision to stick with Nanase. She's not blaming Fuuko or Nanase anymore, she's blaming herself.

She's not so "self-centered" as you make her out to be. She evolved from "bitching on twitter about her gf" to "Maybe I went too far and hurt people". You can eventually pretend it's for self-satisfaction, but then it'd mean admitting that Yuni's character has depth. You have your own anti-Yuni bias and you refuse to see any depth in her character. It's your right, but there's no one more blind than one who refuses to see.

last edited at Apr 2, 2024 7:29AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Yuni is maybe selfish, but the author also gave her guilt and gave her empathy. Sometimes, people can't help but do selfish things and are rattled with guilt, but they would do it again because there's something deeper compelling them.

Yuni is more complex than people give her credit for, because they're furious at her cheating. I seriously don't get why people get mad at fictional characters for cheating on their partner. They get invested emotionally in a cheating that has actually nothing to do with them, like they project hard on the characters. It's unhealthy.

Take the characters as what they are: fictional. Relax and enjoy the drama.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Sometimes, Mikanuji's art is weird like that. She has problems with 3/4 side faces.

Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

c104 posted:

I had to log in my long unused account just to explain to you all that Blond girl killed herself, the ocean is an obvious metaphor for depression, and MC is also struggling with it. Why is everyone so confused?

It's not that clear to me. Not even who killed themselves (if they did).

Maybe it's the translation, but this oneshot fails to convey any so-called metaphor.

last edited at Mar 24, 2024 5:25PM

Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

?

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I bet on a burnout in a black company, after people piled up work on her and she had to prove her value every day, losing her health in the process.

And then she overheard said people sneering in her back about how she a was convenient workhorse and someone she liked (?) was among the crowd, laughing along.

Typical corporate scenario.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

well, I think the author had other plans at the start (with the sister, for example), but the nearly two years hiatus probably led them to end this quickly and rush out a conclusion. Haruka suddenly discovering love out of the blue, because Sensei hid her shoes is a bit forced.

I guess the author lost interest in drawing manga and only finishes it to fulfill contractual obligations.