Forum › Posts by Nya-chan

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Masina posted:

Yes, I have caught up RAW wise, at 11. I have a subscription. Now that someone sort of translate it up until 11, I have a bit more freedom to write here. Maybe when 7-11 are uploaded, then I will write more with freedom.

If something isn't uploaded here, you still have to use black bars, even if it's uploaded elsewhere.

As for these machine translated chapters, they'll NEVER be uploaded here.

For one, unless the previous group announced it dropped a manga, Dynasty never change group. For two, Dynasty has standards and rarely, if ever, uploads MTL or Re-translates from a 3rd language.

As for Semelparous, it's behind for the same reason as this one, since it's the same person translating it. And anyway it's in hiatus.

last edited at Jul 29, 2022 2:33AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

matea posted:

sometimes even when you read a lot of yuri hidden gems like this still manage to escape from your grasp. glad I decided to check it out, cause some stuff really hits close.
wish all the best for our main duo, they're a treat to watch together.

It was hidden in plain sight then. It's one of the most popular series in Yuri Hime.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

It's actually real easy to find odd jobs in Japan, like, any konbini will hire someone on the spot, as long as they look OK enough.

High School students are expected to take part-time jobs if they want some pocket money.

The problem is of course that the pay is really low and you're expected to do overtime, with a smile.

So, there's a whole chunk of Japanese adults, the freeters, who just live with that because they can't, don't want or don't feel like getting a full time job. They are seen by the rest of society as burdens.

"The no alternative type could not find a decent job before high school or university graduation in the system called "simultaneous recruiting of new graduates" (新卒一括採用, Shinsotsu-Ikkatsu-Saiyō), which is unique to Japanese society. Those left behind by Shinsotsu-Ikkatsu-Saiyō are forced to take low paying irregular jobs." (source: wikipedia)

last edited at Jul 19, 2022 3:02AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

johnb posted:

I once tried sake at a high end restaurant and I hated it. The stuff tasted like whisky flitered through rotten rice. I'd take sip and cringe. I would sit there a while, then talk myself into trying it again, by thinking it couldn't really teaste that bad. Id take another sip, and realize that yes it can!

There are a lot of different sake of different quality, flavors.

Like any alcohol, it's an acquired taste.

For example, I dislike beer or red wine. I find them too bitter and my palate rejects it. But some people drink it like it's the best thing in the world.

To each their own I guess.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

The fact that the author glosses over the ins and outs of how this school, or world, works, means, in my opinion, that it's not something they think would bring anything to the story, or is not the kind of story they want to tell.

The plot is obviously built on death, blood, drama and strong emotions (of love and others) and is plot/character driven, not "world building" driven.

I can understand how it would be frustrating to some to not have an exposition about how, in a far far away future, Vampire and Human societies interact, how can Vampires "grow up" (do they have parents? Are there any male Vampires?) and why the school doesn't seem to value the well-being or life of the students, but the author decided against laying out explanations, for now or forever.

When Yucca cuts Emielle, it wasn't the school that reacted, but the other girls, because Emielle is popular, not really because she could have died. She even stabbed her feet, but it amounted to nothing. She healed in a matter of minutes. There seems to be a pervasive indifference toward death in that society. Which I can understand, because Vampires are hunted too and death is a common occurrence. When Shiki died, the other students were like "it can't be helped" (and the school didn't call a counselor to talk about it with them... life goes on)

So, actually, I think the author gives answers, but more implicitly than explicitly.

If you're the type that want answers spelled out to you in exposition, it's probably not the series for you.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

And there's no manga so removed from reality that somebody won't try to apply whatever happens in it to real life and protest about how it's "unrealistic".

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Obviously, their standard for what's dangerous, and what is not, is not the same as humans.

I rather think it makes sense. They are future predators and they have preternatural healing abilities, but in turn they're also hunted.

There's been plenty of hints before that the school considers the death of some of their pupils as something pretty much unavoidable.

The teachings are tuned to that, whereas you people react as if they were human children.

last edited at Jul 16, 2022 2:45PM

Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

MapleLovesYuri posted:

Tsuzuki really said two-timing is not cheating. I wonder what her religions is lol. Actually a very nice manga 10/10. It actually has a good, complicated and interesting drama compared to the other series here.

Tsuzuki's (and Hiroki/Fukunaga's, though we don't know much about them) points of view challenge the belief that something like cheating is universally bad.

In the end, what's moral and what is not is cultural and people adhere to it more by obligation (to not stand out) than by inclination.

That's why so many men dream of having a harem.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Heavensrun posted:

Probably the usual "suki", which is very ambiguous in Japanese.

Y'know, people always say this, but my experience was always that HS students in the U.S. use "like" in pretty much the same ambiguous way.

Remember it's two women here. So, saying to each other "I like you", in theory, shouldn't be taken as romantic, but as "I'm fond of this person".

You'll notice that only Hato and Ruri are shocked. It flies over the head of the others.

Hato, probably because she knows of Suga's orientation and of their relationship, and Ruri because she knows that Miyako never expressed that kind of feeling to anyone before.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

uncertain posted:

Page 12 is interesting. On the one hand it looks like just the kind of a situation where the Japanese wording is intentionally ambiguous about who the "ya" is, but I also feel it as a suggestion that Miyako has gotten over Ruri.

I don't think Miyako ever had feelings for Ruri though, if that's what you're suggesting.

I just think that she doesn't want to be a burden to her ex-band members, especially Ruri. They have more than enough on their plate, running their idol career, so she doesn't want to add to their worries.

Her relationship with Asako is different. While Asako takes charge in the house, she makes sure Miyako does her share (at Grandma's request) and grows up.

So Miyako feels like it's someone she can rely on, without being a burden to her.

Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

It's already finished at 4 volumes. It's her previous series before "Maitsuki".

It stays subtext until the end. Probably why it was tagged immediately as such here.

https://comic.webnewtype.com/contents/torahachi/

last edited at Jul 2, 2022 3:42AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Masina posted:

It does not matter what they say. Hand holding and squeezing means they cross that line. Miyako on top and squeezes, Suga does not pull her hand back. In fact I think Suga turns her hand and holds Miyako, but it is hard to tell from that panel as the drawing is not that clear. If this is not happening inside a haunted house, then there is only one other reason the two will hold and squeeze hands, even if it is done unconsciously.

I think you're reading too much into it from the point of view of Asako. She's a caring person (as highlighted in the previous chapters) and knows that Miyako has a trauma from her previous life as an idol. So she acts in support of Miyako, not because of some affection.

Suga is still obviously in "big sister" and overly caring mode, she doesn't see Miyako as a romantic possibility.

Miyako is getting more and more attached. She probably never knew love, but it's starting to take shape in that direction, even if she's not there yet.

We probably have a while before any "real" romance can start (if ever).

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Probably the usual "suki", which is very ambiguous in Japanese.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

To make things short, Aya has a something like a crush on what she thinks is a guy, because she finds him cool and they have similar tastes in music.

What little romance in that story you can dig out is that "crush". Though it's more like she's a fan rather than crushing on "onii-san", she calls "him" her oshi.

Words have meaning. If the author used oshi, it's for a reason.

Fangirling on an oshi doesn't mean you want to date them.

Other than that, there's NO romance in there and people who think they'll start dating after the cat is out of the bag are probably going to be disappointed.

I'll bet on an open ending with them getting closer and what happens next will be up to the readers imagination.

last edited at Jun 28, 2022 10:09AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

And here I was almost lynched because I suggested they might just be friends in the end.

Looks like it's what the author is going for and I'm being vindicated.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Masina posted:

I never did ask..which magazine is this manga being serialized?

This has no physical or digital releases as volumes. This is published on comic-web NewType, at a chapter per month.

This scanlator releases it usually a couple days after it comes out.

Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Hum... While the Tengu theme looks interesting, it's kinda confusing and kinda bland at the same time.

I feel like I've seen that plot in other settings.

And the art is both nice and art to read.

last edited at Jun 25, 2022 4:14AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Ke_Zukulenzia posted:

Here, clearly, she thinks her "oshi" is an older boy.

Does she actually calls Mitsuki her "oshi" in the Japanese original?

Yes.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

takachi posted:

I believe somebody mentioned above that she's using oniisan, which is not exactly he.

How exactly is that not exactly "he"?

how exactly is that "he"? :)

As said above, it's an address to an older boy. Only.

If the author had wanted to stay ambiguous about what gender she thought Mizuki is, they would have used "that person" (ano hito), "that shop attendant", or something neutral. Japanese can go a long way without mentioning the gender of who you're talking about.

Here, clearly, she thinks her "oshi" is an older boy.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Masina posted:

Should I put in spoilers? I have no idea when the scanlation will be uploaded, but we are now 4 chapters behind.

Don't. At best you're spoiling people who didn't ask (because people being curious will click on black bars), at worst you're misleading them because you misinterpreted something.

Honestly, as a scanlator, I'd loathe people who say "I've read the raws and this is what happens", even when the scanlator is behind, because it's demotivating.

If you really know Japanese, translate and scanlate unreleased series, join a group, whatever. Everyone will thank you.

Here, you're just annoying actual translators.

last edited at Jun 20, 2022 4:16AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

The translation gets weirder and weirder.

Can't make head or tail of what's going on.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

LackLustre09721 posted:

Bruh, she gave me 2nd hand embarrassment, wtf was she even talking about lmao, her speech wasn't even related to the enthusiasm about being the student council.

Bruh, she was supposed to explain why she nominated Misaki. Learn to read.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

uncertain posted:

The Twitter post seems to say these illustrations predate the manga itself? So rather than a mistake it might be just things changing along the way.

No. If you look at the twitter post, the ears are incorrectly labeled.

Not because of the piercings, but because of the shape.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Garun's stuff is always cute and wholesome.

No need to try to find some hidden intent.

Nya-chan
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Yeon202 posted:

Ngl I didn't think the train would start derailing this early on

YMMV.

On the contrary, I think the train is going full steam ahead.