Forum › I Quit Being a Man ~Got Cancer so I Decided to Dress up as a Woman and Fall in Love~ discussion

Illustration2
joined Sep 25, 2021

rooting for her!

joined Mar 15, 2015

I wish the first chapter had shown the rest of the cancer flashback, particularly whether the cancer is terminal(I assume it is)

They don't give the tumor's full specs in the story, but GI carcinoma is always bad. As in, there's generally mild cancer (basal cell, most thyroid types, GIST), there's the concerning types (most breast types, Hodgkin lymphoma), and then there's the real motherf***ers (lung, stomach adeno, most sarcomas).

Bowel carcinoma sits somewhere between concerning and really bad. But it won't necessarily kill her in six months.

Good point. I hope we'll learn a little more about the cancer in the next few chapters.

Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

He looks bad or he looks "bad".

Also HER.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Hrrm. Got more a trashy ecchi vibe from this entire thing so far; I suspect it'll end up be pretty stupid ...

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

That's a lawyer ma'am

Edit: Also people complaining about her passing being "unrealistic" haven't seen East Asian twinks. Why are these little fruity boys curvier than me? Damn. (Please note I am not making a weird equivalence between twinks and trans women)

last edited at Feb 19, 2023 5:27AM

Teru%20frown
joined Jul 9, 2020

I'll second that comment about this chapter feeling too ecchi. Nearly half the pages are dedicated to groping...

Though the second half perfectly captures the feeling of euphoria from gender affirmation, so I'm still going to read the next chapter.

Edit: Also people complaining about her passing being "unrealistic" haven't seen East Asian twinks. Why are these little fruity boys curvier than me? Damn. (Please note I am not making a weird equivalence between twinks and trans women)

As a trans woman, I gotta say I understand. "That feeling when you're jealous of a boy..." has basically become my catch phrase on my friends' discord. Some people just hit the genetic lottery.

Meanwhile, I look like Lurch without the dignity.

Damn, this guy just swept everyone off their feet without even trying. I ship them, I SHIP THEM

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

I wonder what the texts were in the raws. I know very often translations gotta take some liberties with the use of pronouns, and when the use of pronouns is so explicit and integral to the plot, I'm curious what the original Japanese said literally, as opposed to a localization.

Also, y'all like this guy?? I'm getting bad vibes from him, like the moment he finds out she's trans she's getting kicked in the stomach. What a terrifying situation.

2232-2
joined Nov 13, 2017

Dress defensively, like wearing a live German Shepherd around your neck. Its safe and chic.

last edited at Feb 19, 2023 10:40AM

I
joined Mar 3, 2022

God that was a stressful chapter to read. I have to say I didn’t particularly get ecchi vibes just because it was so uncomfortable, but I can see the argument for it.

Also, y'all like this guy?? I'm getting bad vibes from him, like the moment he finds out she's trans she's getting kicked in the stomach. What a terrifying situation.

Not gonna judge yet. I feel like it could go in many directions.

Anime%20girl%20bong%20small
joined Jan 1, 2022

This is what Walter White should've done instead of selling meth.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Reading this story makes me remember how much I miss Hachimitsu Scans.

joined Jan 11, 2014

Really really REALLY hoping it's not a manga about men pushing themselves onto a trans woman cause I don't know what's up with that molesting scene...

joined Jun 25, 2021

what is up with that molesting scene? Is that normal? That someone getting groped doesn't think to just turn their head around and give the culprit a stern look. Just any kind of non-verbal "stop that" signal.

I suppose that it is indeed not normal, and the message being sent here is that protagonist is so starved for gender affirmation that she'll even accept getting molested.

last edited at Feb 19, 2023 2:40PM

Sono.hanabira.ni.kuchizuke.o.-.atelier.no.koibito-tachi.full.1462399_avartar
joined May 28, 2015

Getting horny by being molested by a total stranger... Yeah, I don't think the people who meet a molester during their train travel blush this much and phantasm about their molester. At least they could have showed the molester being arrested to enforce that this behavior is really not okay.

joined Sep 4, 2020

Getting horny by being molested by a total stranger... Yeah, I don't think the people who meet a molester during their train travel blush this much and phantasm about their molester. At least they could have showed the molester being arrested to enforce that this behavior is really not okay.

First off, you can't get someone arrested without proof of action, and considering it seems to have happened right before a train stop the guy probably just left the train. Having that guy be arrested for it, deserved or not, just would not be realistic at all.

Secondly, I feel like the blushing, and specifically the lack of situational awareness (for example, not just turning around, moving, or brushing the guy's hand off) is supposed to be a way to illustrate the MC not understanding what it means to be a Woman, along with their nervousness. The arousal is due to the confusion of the MC both being put in a very negative situation (getting touched on the train), while at the same time getting positive confirmation that their fears in the previous chapter that they look to much like a guy were unfounded.

last edited at Feb 19, 2023 3:20PM

I
joined Mar 3, 2022

I didn’t really read it that way at all — to me the blushing just came across as a response to the terror the main character was experiëncing, and (what I read as) the discomfort, not arousal, of the main character showed well enough that the behaviour is unacceptable.

joined Dec 30, 2018

Being embarrassed and sweating a lot due to stress and fear of being found out is not the same as being aroused you weirdo

420e065dfd1a4d6b3655ec2b8f710afc%20(1)
joined Apr 25, 2020

My life, she was keeping quite the ikemen on the bag

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Guess this'll need the het tag.

Freenbeckforever
joined Oct 28, 2022

My life, she was keeping quite the ikemen on the bag

IKR? I was like squeee!

Tumblr_pt8g0ejdkp1u02i96o1_500%20(1)
joined Jan 24, 2020

Good on you Hajime, go live your best life!

Manga transwomen are always beautiful. No adam apple, no large shoulders or hands, no square jaw. Always pass flawlessly.

IRL many transwomen are beautiful. And some might not be. What's your point?

Just that. Manga almost always presents idealized transwomen and in this way minimizes the hardships they may endure because their body and appearance doesn't match their inner femininity. It makes it look like "passing" is just that easy.

It's always good to have representation and while, as you said, many transwomen are beautiful, for most of them I think it takes a lot of effort and frustration. The image of what's a "beautiful woman" in our societies has reached such impossible standards that even cis women struggle and get complexes because of them, so I can only imagine what a transwoman has to go through to be accepted and even accept herself.

Manga gloss over that part, because Japanese standard readership isn't interested in that. If someone is supposed to be a woman internally, they want her to look like a woman. Or then, they see them as "okamas", which are considered funny and ridiculous, not real "women" and the author can't make their point.

See the thing is, I've actually seen a few examples that don't fall into the "idealized, looks indistiguishable from any cis woman in the manga" version or the "transphobic stereotype that looks like someone's half-rememembered idea of buffalo-bill+a drag queen" and like.. IDK they still kind of felt off? They were giving the trans female characters subtle "masculine" features in a way that didn't feel like it was inspired by bad stereotypes sure, but those features were present in the trans female characters weren't necessarily present in any of the male characters. The fact of the matter is that for a lot of anime/manga character art-styles the only major differences between young men and women are breasts, haircut, and clothes. A lot of the other stuff that is used to distinguish character designs is highly variable (height, over-all body shape) stuff that doesn't have a direct analogy to real life physiology (the way that eyes are drawn, for example) or stuff that like a couple months of hrt or accomplished enough makeup skills would do away with.

joined May 29, 2022

Im still in disbelief that this based on a true story... Sure it might be exaggerated here a bit but that's still wild XD

4fe5eecd-bb71-4108-8d32-020d4e723c02
joined Oct 3, 2018

See the thing is, I've actually seen a few examples that don't fall into the "idealized, looks indistiguishable from any cis woman in the manga" version or the "transphobic stereotype that looks like someone's half-rememembered idea of buffalo-bill+a drag queen" and like.. IDK they still kind of felt off? They were giving the trans female characters subtle "masculine" features in a way that didn't feel like it was inspired by bad stereotypes sure, but those features were present in the trans female characters weren't necessarily present in any of the male characters. The fact of the matter is that for a lot of anime/manga character art-styles the only major differences between young men and women are breasts, haircut, and clothes. A lot of the other stuff that is used to distinguish character designs is highly variable (height, over-all body shape) stuff that doesn't have a direct analogy to real life physiology (the way that eyes are drawn, for example) or stuff that like a couple months of hrt or accomplished enough makeup skills would do away with.

Basically my feelings. Sometimes it's apparent a creator spent so much time thinking about how to be "taken seriously" that they ended up spending zero time thinking about the lazy/uninformed expectations they're making such an appeal to.

To reply you must either login or sign up.