Forum › Posts by Allumi

Allumi
Tumblr_pt8g0ejdkp1u02i96o1_500%20(1)
joined Jan 24, 2020

Yet another manga that is operating on almost incomprehensible levels of maladapted egg energy. cute tho! I feel like there are like dozens of manga writers ive encountered works of at this point that would be really benefited by like the very basics of transfeminism and gender self determination.

joined Jan 24, 2020

Good on you Hajime, go live your best life!

Manga transwomen are always beautiful. No adam apple, no large shoulders or hands, no square jaw. Always pass flawlessly.

IRL many transwomen are beautiful. And some might not be. What's your point?

Just that. Manga almost always presents idealized transwomen and in this way minimizes the hardships they may endure because their body and appearance doesn't match their inner femininity. It makes it look like "passing" is just that easy.

It's always good to have representation and while, as you said, many transwomen are beautiful, for most of them I think it takes a lot of effort and frustration. The image of what's a "beautiful woman" in our societies has reached such impossible standards that even cis women struggle and get complexes because of them, so I can only imagine what a transwoman has to go through to be accepted and even accept herself.

Manga gloss over that part, because Japanese standard readership isn't interested in that. If someone is supposed to be a woman internally, they want her to look like a woman. Or then, they see them as "okamas", which are considered funny and ridiculous, not real "women" and the author can't make their point.

See the thing is, I've actually seen a few examples that don't fall into the "idealized, looks indistiguishable from any cis woman in the manga" version or the "transphobic stereotype that looks like someone's half-rememembered idea of buffalo-bill+a drag queen" and like.. IDK they still kind of felt off? They were giving the trans female characters subtle "masculine" features in a way that didn't feel like it was inspired by bad stereotypes sure, but those features were present in the trans female characters weren't necessarily present in any of the male characters. The fact of the matter is that for a lot of anime/manga character art-styles the only major differences between young men and women are breasts, haircut, and clothes. A lot of the other stuff that is used to distinguish character designs is highly variable (height, over-all body shape) stuff that doesn't have a direct analogy to real life physiology (the way that eyes are drawn, for example) or stuff that like a couple months of hrt or accomplished enough makeup skills would do away with.

joined Jan 24, 2020

feel like this is so far a bit mis-named; we've not really seen any in story evidence of shiomi being an introvert, and being a brat doesn't mean u have to be extroverted, but its pretty cute.

Allumi
VAMPEERZ discussion 26 Oct 00:32
joined Jan 24, 2020

I'm not sure the author realizes that just because you are wearing a swimsuit it doesn't suddenly make you go up a cup size or three. ... I guess i should just be used to this weirdness by now.

last edited at Oct 26, 2021 12:34AM

joined Jan 24, 2020

Sakuma: egg cracker in chief... Seriously tho, while its probably hella awkward for all parties involved what she's doing seems pretty cool, if its actually going where I think it is. For a lot of people the biggest obstacle to like them transitioning is actually admitting to themselves that they are trans and want to transition. For a trusted older woman (and one who is also LGBT) to be that direct might be what Kita needs to push her in the right direction .

joined Jan 24, 2020

I kinda got agree with the protaganist when she calls herself "pathetic"... like obviously the misogyny she's facing is diagusting and it obviously seems like there is some cognitive dissonance there wwith her desire to be "a strong independant business woman" and her seeming misery in being that, but she seems way too ready as a 30 year old woman to be almost emotionally dependent on a child she just met.

joined Jan 24, 2020

The art in this was really cute. Although I am a little bit confused about the "which name goes first in the pairing" obsession showing up again in this one.

Allumi
joined Jan 24, 2020

This feels more like a light dom/sub dynamic than abuse/toxicity, so far.

Allumi
joined Jan 24, 2020

I'm not sure battan's writing style is ideal with this kind of genre. Like they excel at writing intense, realistic, complicated emotions, that it makes this seem uncomfortably real. But I guess it remains to be seen how it will turn out

that's the point though. This situation would be uncomfortable if it was real. Battan's writing is perfect for what this is meant to be regardless of genre

I mean "realistically portrayed lesbian child predator" in the context of a yuri manga is something that can go a couple of ways. As I said, it remains to be seen how the story will go.

Allumi
joined Jan 24, 2020

I'm not sure battan's writing style is ideal with this kind of genre. Like they excel at writing intense, realistic, complicated emotions, that it makes this seem uncomfortably real. But I guess it remains to be seen how it will turn out

last edited at Feb 7, 2021 7:47PM

Allumi
A Cute Guy discussion 28 Jan 12:03
joined Jan 24, 2020

""""het"""" sure......

joined Jan 24, 2020

I'm not sure they really understand what top energy means? Using authority gifted to you on the basis of your birth to manipulate your employee into a relationship with you is kind of the opposite of "top energy" its like honestly pathetic.

joined Jan 24, 2020

I wish this was a full series... To be honest I just wish there were more series that were yuri (like actually, not just hinting at it like gakkou gurashi for example) but still had a plot that was largely an adventure not directly related to their relaitonship.

joined Jan 24, 2020

I know this is like so totally off base, but the most disturbing part of this to me is the girl freaking out about gaining weight to be 48 kg. Like even if she was only 140 cm (4'7") that would still be a healthy weight, assuming she was average height for a woman on japan that would be on the edge of underweight.

joined Jan 24, 2020

This art style is incredible, I love it so much

Allumi
joined Jan 24, 2020

Can I just say how refreshing it is to have characters approach beginning a relationship in such a straightforward way, like, normal healthy adults (that are also tree people).

joined Jan 24, 2020

It seems like Nami knows she is gay but is closeted, and that's her secret.

joined Jan 24, 2020

Not to prod a verbose hornet's nest, but what exactly is the logical conclusion that you want to bring this to, @SillieHonka?

Do you want this stuff to not be hosted? To have plentiful content warnings before hand? Or do you just want to voice your displeasure?

I assume their intent is to argue that people engage with this sort of media more critically (in the sense of like intellectual critique, not like "i am saying things i don't like about this" critical) just like we would with a manga that implicitly upholds for example, the class -s idea that "girls having relationships together is just something they grow out of and doesn't have anything to do with real lesbianism". In both cases we could still read and enjoy a manga like that, being aware of that, but also understand (and even maybe address) the problems that underlie it.

Allumi
joined Jan 24, 2020

46.5 kilograms is not even close to overweight. In fact, it seems a underweight assuming Akari is over 5 feet tall.

She'd have to be under 4'6" for that to be overweight. Is she really that tiny?