Forum › Looking Up to Magical Girls discussion

4fe5eecd-bb71-4108-8d32-020d4e723c02
joined Oct 3, 2018

Well, the author definitely found the line past which I actively root against Utena. Appropriate timing, I guess. Goodness was this chapter discomfiting,

I'm never really opposed to an expanded cast, so long as these girls are characters and not very fashionable lore dumps.

Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

No one expects the loli police.

EDIT: more seriously, this new trio seems like they're kind of in-between magical girl and enemy, I wonder if that hints at a "third path" that Utena will be able to take and escape from her cycle of self-recrimination and evil? (Perhaps the path of a safe, sane, and consensual Dom, if that read on the story is correct.)

last edited at Mar 23, 2022 10:31PM

pumpkinmonster
Ea068ec8502133f96ff1a1123008a767
joined Mar 26, 2020

MOMMY SORRY MOMMY UGHHHH

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

EDIT: more seriously, this new trio seems like they're kind of in-between magical girl and enemy

Looking at their designs again, this seems to be the case, yeah. The "librarian" looks the most clearly a magical girl design. The leader in the middle is more difficult to tell, but has similar shiny hair, so probably one as well, at least originally. Both also seem to have heart-shaped devices on their heads. The third one, though... Huge black scythe, costume looking like it's falling apart, the white eyes, the creepy smile, and most importantly, the lacing embedded in her skin - certainly more of a dark side design here.

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

Monthly releases were kind of killing me so if this series is going to two weeks I'm all in. New magical girls are definitely a mystery...

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

Ooooh I'm ready for the new girls to get put down....nothing irks me quite like someone showing up rested at the end of a battle and acting like their all superior....yeeees, I can't wait for Utena to put the Guts wannabe in her place.

I'm all here for this being bimonthly now. Lets see what Vena has planned!

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I just need the little brat to get spanked.
Hoping someone take Urbs place as editor.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

strayalive posted:

Monthly releases were kind of killing me so if this series is going to two weeks I'm all in. New magical girls are definitely a mystery...

But without editors to do it, you'll have to learn Japanese.

Beloved%2021
joined Oct 10, 2020

strayalive posted:

But without editors to do it, you'll have to learn Japanese.

Fret not, I believe I’ve found a team to take over for me.

Murasmol5min
joined Mar 11, 2014

little chapter 36 predictions why not (gotta strike while the iron is hot (the iron is my brain)):
-Main event will be the new girls' intro and them fighting against Vena and Sister
-In parallel to that, getting a greatsword to the chest will allow Utena to get a bit of control back and confront Baiser in her mind
-Vatz might even do something! wouldn't that be a treat

and i was 0 for 3 on this, amazing

Imageedit_2_8608112332
joined May 12, 2021

It really felt like we were approaching the finale of this series but it turns out we're just starting a new arc! I like when a series has a real conclusion so I have mixed feelings now that the ending is no longer in sight, but this manga is super fun and now we have more time for the romance between Utena and Kiwi to blossom so I'm excited regardless

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

Can't wait for Baiser to crush that smug kusogaki down a dozen pegs or so, it takes a special level of asshole to show up with a cheap-shot at the end of someone else's fight then act like you're the biggest dick in the room.

What's got me curious is, if neither the good mascot nor the evil mascot scouted the new girls, is there a third faction mascot somewhere? The good mascot says she scouted one of the new girls ages ago, but I don't imagine they would've just lost track of a magical girl who was given a transformation unless something extraordinary happened to them. I guess it's implied she was thought to be one of the magical girls killed during the last Enormeeta boss' hunts?

That still leaves the mystery of the other two though, they don't seem to have been empowered by either of the known factions.

Maybe one of the new girls has a revival ability and brought the other two back from death to form her own faction of magical girls?

Most importantly though: How do these new girls fit into the BDSM narrative? Baiser is the encouraging dom who pushes her subs to their limits but not too far and genuinely cares for their well being, previous Enormeeta boss was the callous sadist hurting her subs for her own pleasure and not giving a damn about if they could handle it.
What does that make the kusogaki brat?

last edited at Apr 18, 2022 4:15PM

joined May 1, 2015

New toys hehehe

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

Come on, at least show how the corruption was broken instead of doing it off-screen, it makes no sense everyone returned to normal just by punching Berserk Utena.

Well, they only mentioned the names of the new girls with no backstory and it seems they aren't in the side of either of the groups, we'll have to wait and see who they are and from where they actually come from.

Korisu already suspects Vena, she was probably conscious through the whole thing when Vena revealed himself, she's the smartest character, so let's see what she does about this.

Angryface
joined Mar 22, 2021

Thanks for spending a year translating the series! Greatly appreciated being able to actually read it since that first official liscense is so slow at 10 pages a release.

So yeah we still know much about what the hell is going on. On the new three new magical girls my guess is they are not magical girls since they just beat up the our original three which is not a magical girl thing to do. Probably got corrupted by whoever that lord guy is.

Well this means MORE TRANSFORMATIONS so I am happy with that. Also, Azul is a badass.

joined Oct 22, 2021

Meh. it feels as if the story moved away from being a nice and tight medium length manga, towards typical serialised fare.

Wwdemon150
joined Mar 11, 2018

Vague shades of Sailor Moon S, where the Uranus and Neptune show up, and spend most of the season refusing to cooperate directly with the team we've been following for the previous two, because the Sailor Senshi aren't strong enough to do what needs to be done (and politely ignoring that their stated mission is to prevent exactly what happened twice in Sailor Moon R)

I don't expect this resolution to be as amicable, though.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Even after all this, Vena still considers everything to be just as planned. That's some confidence.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

I'm excited to see where things go from there. I'm glad this isn't ending after only 36 chapters, the series has been very entertaining and each chapter has gone by quickly for me, so I'm hoping we get at least 50 chapters.

My%20god
joined Dec 27, 2014

Why does a borderline hentai manga have this engaging of a plot?

Kanata%20emma%20cute%20cat%20laying
joined Apr 23, 2021

I just hope basia gets the defeat she wants and deservse^^

Carmilla%20reading
joined Sep 15, 2015

This is really starting to sound like Madoka Magika... I bet in the end the little flying bats or whatever are just collecting magic energy for some big evil plan of theirs, and pushing different kinds of magical girls against each other was the fastest way to reach that goal or smth.

Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

This isn't the final push last battle!? Shocking. But on the other hand, I'll bet Baiser isn't going to hesitate against this new salty flavour of magical girl that has no elegance or lightness.

They're twisted. Perverted. Wrong.

Chiyo
joined Dec 21, 2021

Hmm... I still have mixed with this. They just came out of nowhere, and just stopped the battle in one blow. Like I get that they're portrayed as being strong but it's such a moody wrecker. Anyway, is Sayo gonna get more development or what? And in any case, are we gonna get a new La Veritá soon?

89922099_p0_3_32
joined Nov 15, 2017

This isn't the final push last battle!? Shocking. But on the other hand, I'll bet Baiser isn't going to hesitate against this new salty flavour of magical girl that has no elegance or lightness.

They're twisted. Perverted. Wrong.

They need to be punished. Hard.

To reply you must either login or sign up.