Forum › Posts by strayalive

strayalive
Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

I get the feeling things with Kase's team are just beginning honestly.

I don't think things with Fukami are quite over, (I think Kase will come out to her and introduce Yamada as her girl, honestly) but I do think this was the climax, I wouldn't say "just beginning."

Someone made the point that they kinda feel bad for Fukami -- I do think the girl pretty much deserves to know at this point, but I don't think Kase is really there yet. Another thing this race accomplished is keeping Kase from answering troublesome questions.

Yeah but which is worse, going back on her word with the team or with Yamada? When she said what she said to Fukami in the last chapter she was more or less acknowledging that Yamada took priority no matter what... but she still intended to win.

Yeah, but what we're talking about in this chain of thought is why Fukami might think she can pressure Kase into staying if she wins, and Fukami doesn't know Kase is moving out to be with her girlfriend.

I thought we were talking about Fukami not getting the memo that the terms of the race changed... and/or whether the terms of the race actually changed. I think Fukami is still under the impression Kase has a boyfriend so... yeah.

Anyway I still kinda think the track team is going to remain a heavy focus going forward but we'll see. Hopefully some fluff first.

strayalive
Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

But the MCs are so joined at the hip in this one that Fukami was always going to be emotional road kill, and as several others have noted, unless Kase was going to lose the race and thus cause any number of crises/epiphanies, the entire arc has no real consequences, except that Yamada lost a great apartment because Kase is a fucking dolt.

I get the feeling things with Kase's team are just beginning honestly.

And the pressure would certainly be there with everyone seeing Kase moving out after a loss as her going back on her word.

Yeah but which is worse, going back on her word with the team or with Yamada? When she said what she said to Fukami in the last chapter she was more or less acknowledging that Yamada took priority no matter what... but she still intended to win.

Jocks are dumb regardless.

strayalive
Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

This chapter also reinforced the idea that the race was still about deciding whether she moved or not, which sort of contradicts what I thought Kase had changed her position to in a previous chapter.

Same. I wonder if it was a dropped stitch or just a translation issue, but I thought Kase had firmly established that she was leaving the dorm no matter what, but if she lost she would tell Fukami why she had to move out.

I think its clear that she wants to tell Fukami, but you know in Kase's head she had to win the race no matter what.

strayalive
Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

ITS FINALLY OVER!!!!11@

Still hoping Kase tells Fukami or somebody on the team about her relationship though. I doubt it'll happen next chapter, but eventually hopefully.

strayalive
Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

Seems like this entire plot would be over pretty quickly if Kase just told Fukami she was moving in with her girlfriend.

Its obvious that she wants to tell her.

Look, Kase has been anything but subtle and tactful in this arc and everything else in this chapter was her bungling around so I don't think she managed to change the terms of the bet.

I get Kase's track record but she's not being impulsive at all this chapter. Maybe I'm giving her too much credit but we'll see in two months.

strayalive
Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

What? How do you get that? She still hasn't called off the race so I wouldn't call that committed to moving out.

Technically no but she reframed the stakes to where the outcome isn't binary anymore. As I see it she subtly slammed the door on staying.

Kase was way more pensive than she's ever been this chapter, the hamster wheel wouldn't stop. She definitely seems to be taking things seriously with both Yamada and Fukami. The dense harem protagonist routine wasn't a great look though.

strayalive
Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

Following this arc is still suffering but it looks like Kase is committed to moving out no matter what and probably coming out no matter what so I guess progress is progress.

strayalive
Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

I want to believe Kase will do the right thing here but... its Kase. Its probably a good time to introduce Yamada to some of her teammates if nothing else.

strayalive
Anime season 25 Mar 08:18
Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

Well, I wouldn't say that there's not enough content. The LN's are up to volume 7 (volume 5 is being released in EN later this year) and the first season covered volumes 1-3. So there's content for season 2, so it's more a matter of producing it than waiting for more content.

Actually LN6 just came out in January so a S2 would be pretty snug right now. LN4 English drops April 18 (LN5 in August).

I'm sort of conflicted on MagiRevo because the world building isn't its strong suit (and book Anis loves infodumping way, way too much) but I think the anime did end up a bit disjointed from excluding some of it. Focusing on the relationships was still probably the right call though.

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

I can confirm this because I am one of the haters. The REAL Illya is 18 years old and evil. I will never acknowledge Fate/Kaleid.

What about HF True End though? Or all of Heaven's Feel really. Stupid Nasu cutting the Illya route...

Prisma llya isn't explicit but I still think its more comparable to Akogarate than stuff like Redo. Definitely don't have the Fate bucks but I'm still cautiously optimistic it'll get a good studio. I still can't think of a good seiyuu for Utena but if I had to pick one I'd probably go for Yamaoka Yuri mostly for her VN roles. We'll see I suppose.

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

Well Saber is an adult just with a body that stopped aging after a certain point.

That's what all the 500 year old lolis say...

As I've said I somehow run into a lot of it, and that's part of why I don't want to jump back into it and intentionally look for the nonsense just to prove a point or whatever, I don't feel like I have anything to prove and it's not worth the mental health toll.

I mean that's your prerogative but I don't know you from Adam and have no reason to take you at your word. If you change your mind I'll be around.

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

There's various Yuri based news pages on social media, and anime news, where some interactions have generally been positive I should say, but I've seen various people that are also mixed and others that don't want this to get adapted. Also as someone who is a Fate fan I can tell you Fate/Kaleid gets a TON of hate on social media. If you've seen just positive comments on all of this I believe it though, I have a friend that tells me she doesn't see any of the hate I see. I feel like social media just tries to give me a headache sometimes, and other people are really good / very lucky with avoiding it haha

Fate fandom isn't exactly monolithic though and most of the criticism I've seen of Prillya is from Fate fans who complain they have to watch lolis while apparently forgetting that Saber is forever 14. I've read Fate/stay night and Fate/hollow ataraxia but I'm pretty casual compared to people who have a catalog of Nasu interviews to prove who best girl is (its Caren)

Otherwise I mean... if you can't give me any examples I gotta go with my eyes here and the fact I haven't seen anything like what you're talking about on Twitter, Reddit, even MAL where people are kinda nuts. If you're looking for shit takes or following people known for consistent shit takes I'm sure you can find them but in my experience if there is controversy its usually around problematic mainstream series like Mushoku Tensei where Rudy is... a dealbreaker for many. My bigger concern for this series is licensing because HiDive took a 'wait and see' approach with Immoral Guild, though I'm sure someone will fansub it if nothing else.

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

As someone who is so far has been enjoying the manga, and is curious as to how the adaption will be handled, I simply think discussing the possible reaction to the anime is a natural part of the discussion, due to this being one of the more controversial series out there in terms of content. I'm not hoping for moral panic, that's exhausting, and I've already seen people in some Yuri circles deeply disturbed that this series is getting adapted.

I'm really curious as to where because I haven't seen takes like that anywhere. I see people constantly bring up Interspecies Reviewers and Redo of Healer but honestly most of the "controversy" I remember with Redo at least was stans of the series basically saying "come at me brah!" to any SJW they could find. With Interspecies they took a manga that wasn't particularly graphic and made it extremely graphic which I would actually be disappointed to see happen with this series. As far as the middle school setting or sexual awakening or whatever other people are saying -- I don't really remember any specific controversy over Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya or for that matter stuff like PEN15 either.

You act like those things don’t happen in other Yuri too, that entire description could apply to things like “I’m in Love with the Villainess” or Kannazuki no Miko”

I'm talking about the Gundam 'formula' which has been pretty consistent for 45 years now. GWitch is more accessible but its still squarely in "bait" territory IMO and I can't stand mecha melodrama so let me know how S2 goes I guess. S1 was fucking exhausting.

I’m honestly so curious with which Seiyuu is gonna be voicing Utena and Kiwi, bc whoever it is they must be fucking wild as well lol

I was wondering this myself the other day... HanaKana is probably the gold standard for innocent + batshit characters but I'm positive they'll go for someone lesser known. No one I can really think of off the top of my head...

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

Feels a bit bad that most of the discussion here has focused on the possible backlash the series will get when the anime gets around to being done (which I don't doubt would actually happen, but whatever.

I think hoping that your favorite borderline H series can generate a moral panic is a kink in and of itself at this point. I'm cautiously optimistic we're going to get a good studio, but its kind of unusual compared to other borderline series in that the action scenes are where the magic happens. We'll see I suppose.

Tangentially I hope they don't put nipples everywhere. It would work better if they do it like KissXSis for lack of a better comparison.

Are we pretending Gundam isn't yuri now?

Off topic but... I mean its still a Gundam first and foremost, so there's still a lot of political melodrama, tragedy, and confessions from male characters to go in S2.

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

With this nearly all "A kiss for the petals" games are available in English in some form. The series is both extremely influential and popular (as popular as old yuri VNs can be). I would say it is not wrong to jump into the Angels games on their own, though I am always a supporter of playing a franchise in release order.

The same group that did Angels finished up Snow White's Knight so the only thing untranslated at this point is the last New Generation entry. I'm not necessarily fond of release order for Sono Hanabira but if you do want to start from the early doujin games a Polish group (Nyan) is remaking them in Ren'Py. They've done the first 7 games at this point.

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

I only brought up WataYuri because its the only yuri airing in spring -- unless you want to count Birdie Wing S2.

Anyway I'm hyped for an adaptation but I'm still really curious about studio as well as cast. We'll find out soon enough I suppose.

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

And yeah, Interspecies Reviewers got hit HARD by the controversy machine to the point it basically had to stop airing normally and lost it's dub.

There was no actual controversy over Interspecies; mainly the anime just added a ton of original borderline H scenes that nobody was expecting and that Funimation didn't want associated with their brand image. A few Japanese broadcasters had their own issues but if HiDive had licensed it it likely wouldn't have been an issue.

I don't really know what kind of reception to expect... a lot of normie otaku I run across are still like "eww, yuri" and I can't think of a yuri ecchi since maybe Valkyrie Drive which was not that good. The manga does have 5m in sales though so there's an audience out there.

And the only thing we get in April is Yuri Is My Job! -- ILTV isn't a spring series. Hopefully summer.

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

Hmmm... I really hope this series doesn't faceplant in the next few chapters but I guess we'll see. I was expecting something more with the villainess system rather than time travel... though I guess this more or less confirms that hooded Elsa is from the future.

strayalive
Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

The author is a woman. I still agree with your points, though.

I know, but it didn't seem worth it to correct that person and now I kind of regret quoting them without doing so. The vast majority of yuri is actually written by women.

Either they break up, or their relationship is now a series of misunderstandings to keep it interesting. Normal, angst free relationships aren't considered interesting to readers, so the writer is trying to spice it up.

In fairness its kinda tough to keep things interesting and I don't think there's many editors that would let their mangaka continue their series without spice. The "plan" in manga is usually to drag things out as long as humanly possible and then power through the finale in one volume max. Some series switch focus to side characters, while a lot of shoujo tends to focus on insecurities, especially when someone else or theoretically better gets added to the mix. We already went through that somewhat with the 'flowerbed prince' so it seems kinda soon for that but -- if the formula works it works.

I'm not trying to speculate but my hope is that Kase comes out to more people in her orbit; people on her team know she's dating someone but no one actually knows its Yamada.

strayalive
Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

The author didn't seem ready for a second run but rather had a vague idea of what he would like, which wouldn't have filled the pages he needed to so they've just thrown in what they can to extend the season.

Yuri doesn't delve into this territory much but this is par for the course when it come to shoujo series that continue past confession. I want to say it'll get better but if you came for fluff this really isn't the series for you.

Anyway, at least we got to hear Kase's reasoning but she's still a fucking dumbass who can't seem to comprehend there's consequences to her actions. Yamada needs to slap her upside the head but she won't; seems like she's trying to make sense of it and at least confronting Kase about Fukami to some degree.

strayalive
Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

I reread the chapter and its still shitty but Kase is way overdue to come out to her teammates so this is pretty much setting that up, if nothing else. She needs to at least leave on good terms with them, I guess.

'FMC puts things on hold for the worst fucking reason ever' is my least favorite shoujo manga trope and I'm not entirely confident its the last time we'll see it here either. Its the price you pay for the fluff I suppose... there's not that many yuri dealing in established relationships either.

strayalive
Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

I know its a tried and true shoujo formula for dragging things out but its still infuriating.

strayalive
Anime season 25 Dec 21:23
Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

MagiRevo was better than I expected, though its early to judge.

strayalive
Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

What about Lei?

strayalive
Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

Holy shit its actually happening!