Forum › Even Though We're Adults discussion

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

"Why do they all have to be god damn married!?"

I ask that every time I see another friend on Facebook get married while I'm still a sad loner over here.

EDIT: Literally opened Facebook right after posting this and saw yet another friend announce engagement.

Ouch. Congrats to them for marrying, but (more to the point) condolences to you for still being lonely.

No sarcasm intended.

Mostly%20sunny
joined Oct 26, 2016

Ah, shit. I actually kinda feel sorry for the husband in this situation.

joined Oct 27, 2018

Something about Shimura Takakos manga just puts me off, and I'm not even sure what it is, but I just can't get into this, or any of her other, manga.

120x120px-ls-38203a65_avatar65018_8
joined Oct 27, 2011

"Why do they all have to be god damn married!?"

I ask that every time I see another friend on Facebook get married while I'm still a sad loner over here.

EDIT: Literally opened Facebook right after posting this and saw yet another friend announce engagement.

we all related to this feeling (_ ___""") sooner or later

joined May 1, 2013

This dude's great.

God, what a relief to see this sort of manga, where it's awkward and complicated but at the end of the day people actually say out loud what they're feeling.

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

Something about Shimura Takakos manga just puts me off, and I'm not even sure what it is, but I just can't get into this, or any of her other, manga.

They all have this awkward edge. They don't ever have a fulfilling romance thing EVER. Like a sort of anti-particle to Morishima Akiko's manga.

joined Oct 27, 2018

They all have this awkward edge. They don't ever have a fulfilling romance thing EVER. Like a sort of anti-particle to Morishima Akiko's manga.

That might be it. Like I know her works are technically excellent, but something, that awkward edge maybe, just doesn't do it for me.

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

furiously tries to tap right to keep reading

This is so good, please continue to make it good author-san!

Holy hella awkward Batman. Jeez...

last edited at Oct 9, 2019 4:38AM

Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

Damn, I said it early on in chapter 1, but now I really feel sorry for the husband. Glad he at least called it out for what it is, so he doesn't just internalize everything and it explodes making him look like the bad guy somehow.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

I like this. Well, I tend to like stories that go against expectations in a blunt way - like the husband here, and how they are dealing with things. Instead of endless soap opera-esque twists and turns this feels more satisfying to me.

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

Prediction time: Ayano's going to get pregnant, and Akari's gonna get all mopey because she's seen this before, but Aya's going to leave her husband anyways. Dunno if those two will end up together.

I think so too, but deep inside hope for some refreshing twist.

joined Oct 22, 2018

That might be it. Like I know her works are technically excellent, but something, that awkward edge maybe, just doesn't do it for me.

So you're trying to say that the reason why this author's stories never stuck with me is the same reason why Eradiate's, Alp's and Imperial's mapping series never stuck with me? The edge? That actually makes sense! Good story, but with a weird feeling to it...

062589fd3c9f5577a916b303e3c6c27f
joined Nov 16, 2013

Well, you know... if you had a kid, there probably wouldn't be any more sleeping until noon on Sunday...

I feel like the reader is supposed to judge the dude pretty harshly here, unless this is normal to some degree in Japan. 36 and still sleeping in until noon? Even among me and my other single friends, this behavior died out in our early 20s. I mean, unless you really hit the club. But working a standard day job in a long term relationship? I assume a Japanese readership would find it even more odd

Maturity is not judging the way other adults choose to spend their free time because you realised it's none of your business.

last edited at Oct 9, 2019 10:00AM

joined Feb 18, 2015

Well, you know... if you had a kid, there probably wouldn't be any more sleeping until noon on Sunday...

I feel like the reader is supposed to judge the dude pretty harshly here, unless this is normal to some degree in Japan. 36 and still sleeping in until noon? Even among me and my other single friends, this behavior died out in our early 20s. I mean, unless you really hit the club. But working a standard day job in a long term relationship? I assume a Japanese readership would find it even more odd

Maturity is not judging the way other adults choose to spend their free time because you realised it's none of your business.

Back when I had a kid who played hockey, I NEVER got to sleep in on weekends. Now that I'm older and my kids are older, sleeping until noon on the weekend is a totally regular occurrence for me. (My wife works most weekends though. She's a nurse at a hospital, so she's gone by 6:15 am the days she works.) I've always been of the opinion that a "Good Morning" is one where you don't wake up until afternoon...

(Well... actually... my youngest has moved back home now and is going to the local community college and working as a barista, so occasionally I have to get up to take her into work in the morning because she never got around to getting a driver's license because she was at a boarding school for math and science geeks and it made it really hard to get in the required driving time, then her first year of college was at a school IN Chicago where she couldn't have a car on campus anyway, so there wasn't any reason to bother... then she turned 18 and didn't have a valid permit anymore... We wouldn't want to pay for parking in downtown where she works anyway... so I guess the kids are still making me get up on the weekends sometimes... But her opening the place where she works at 10 or 11 or whatever is NOTHING compared to going to the hockey rink between 7 and 8 am for practice or a game!)

last edited at Oct 9, 2019 10:45AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Whores. And a cheating whore. Fuck off.

Yes, by all means—please do take your advice.

Annotation%202020-07-02%20193122
joined Apr 19, 2018

Daaaaaammnnnnnn
That's one sick burn, someone please collect the ashes

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Second.

joined Oct 22, 2018

Someone should really add this to r/murderedbywords

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I positively love Shimura Takako's works. All of them.

Her characters feel so real. They are fucked up, make bad decisions, are cowards, or just throw themselves forward because they are desperate. They change, they mature, or just can't move on... They are very real. I've rarely read manga where the characters reactions are so believable.

The husband's reaction is totally what you'd expect from a normal "good guy". You can't help but feel bad for him, but it does not mean he should "win". Ayano should just choose her own life.

I don't feel her manga are "edgy". She puts her characters in complicated situations and derives believable reactions from them. I never felt any discrepancy in her characters behavior along the story. She's really consistent in portraying people.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

They are very real. I've rarely read manga where the characters reactions are so believable.

Might i've been the reason i don't like it. I like a little bit of realism in my reading but not that much.

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

I love how this manga breaks all expectations

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Back when I had a kid who played hockey, I NEVER got to sleep in on weekends. Now that I'm older and my kids are older, sleeping until noon on the weekend is a totally regular occurrence for me. (My wife works most weekends though. She's a nurse at a hospital, so she's gone by 6:15 am the days she works.) I've always been of the opinion that a "Good Morning" is one where you don't wake up until afternoon...

(Well... actually... my youngest has moved back home now and is going to the local community college and working as a barista, so occasionally I have to get up to take her into work in the morning because she never got around to getting a driver's license because she was at a boarding school for math and science geeks and it made it really hard to get in the required driving time, then her first year of college was at a school IN Chicago where she couldn't have a car on campus anyway, so there wasn't any reason to bother... then she turned 18 and didn't have a valid permit anymore... We wouldn't want to pay for parking in downtown where she works anyway... so I guess the kids are still making me get up on the weekends sometimes... But her opening the place where she works at 10 or 11 or whatever is NOTHING compared to going to the hockey rink between 7 and 8 am for practice or a game!)

You've said too much. I may have gone to the same community college. Quite a while ago, though.

As for the maturity part, we're analyzing characters and themes here, not actual people. And the way that scene is framed among the other panels there, I think we're encouraged to judge the guy. It goes along with the title. Even though we're adults, we do X. Like the off-handed invites from person to person here in chapter 5 without thinking about the consequences at all and then just stumbling into a horrifying social situation.
It's probably a larger comment on this is what adults are actually like. I feel like we're encouraged to judge, and then it's up to us to question those assumptions. What does it mean to be responsible in these situations? For the waking up early stuff, is it an example of the guy being irresponsible or is it just part of his character? Is it bad? Does he change?

X14%20(2)
joined Jul 18, 2018

She is a cheating piece of shit, but no whore. Feel bad for the husband but shit happens.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

As for the maturity part, we're analyzing characters and themes here, not actual people. And the way that scene is framed among the other panels there, I think we're encouraged to judge the guy. It goes along with the title. Even though we're adults, we do X.

Agreed, there’s an important distinction between a reader making a moral judgment about a character based on a personal value system (as several readers have so crudely done in this thread), and saying that the story is positioning readers to make a particular value judgment,

Which is why drive-by aspersions about characters and their behavior contribute so little to the conversation.

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

As for the maturity part, we're analyzing characters and themes here, not actual people. And the way that scene is framed among the other panels there, I think we're encouraged to judge the guy. It goes along with the title. Even though we're adults, we do X. Like the off-handed invites from person to person here in chapter 5 without thinking about the consequences at all and then just stumbling into a horrifying social situation.
It's probably a larger comment on this is what adults are actually like. I feel like we're encouraged to judge, and then it's up to us to question those assumptions. What does it mean to be responsible in these situations? For the waking up early stuff, is it an example of the guy being irresponsible or is it just part of his character? Is it bad? Does he change?

As for the sleeping in thing, I think more than judging him, it's supposed to give us insight into their marriage. They get along well, but all the romance is gone. It's like the rings that neither of them wear.

I agree with you about the title, and the bbq. Clearly no one wanted it to end up like that, but Akari impulsively agreed to go, then impulsively invited Aya, then impulsively invited the husband. Aya told him about it without thinking, and then he agreed because he's sort of in shock and isn't thinking clearly.

last edited at Oct 9, 2019 7:23PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.