Forum › Posts by Heavensrun

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I have no idea what posses someone to turn into a anime villian like this and arbitrarily decides to ruin the life of someone they don’t know and had zero prior interactions with like that just seems like completely psycho shit to me, but bullying is just sorta like that I guess

They might not mean it that way. It's already been brought up, but I doubt the last page is literally happening, she's just upset that they're judging and putting labels on her metaphorically and it's causing a panic attack. Whether or not they're being intentionally mean or just careless is hard to say without a larger pattern of behavior. They wrote the lyrics on the board, was that to shame or embarass her, or was it just because they were working on translating a song in a language they don't understand fluently? They're needling her with commentary, is that because they want to put her down or are they just being thoughtless? Doesn't really matter to her trauma, though. I do hope Aya comes to the rescue, but this is something Koga needs to learn to deal with if she's going to keep putting herself out there as an artist.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Well that's certainly unsettling.

I'm almost mad at Rena. I mean, collapsing from exhaustion after a period of emotional stress, You can think "Maybe that's a one-off," and the fact that she was about to call an ambulance when she finally woke up means she at least recognized how scary that situation is. Finding her asleep on the floor, five hour nap, that's mildly concerning.

But the INSTANT she fell asleep in the tub, they should've resolved to see a doctor the NEXT DAY. Faffing about after that is bordering on negligence.

last edited at Jun 23, 2024 10:42AM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Love rival incoming perhaps?

Doubt it. If I had to bet, I'd say she's more likely to go from crush to fan to shipper.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017
Gmpn6daauaad8vo-orig

Eh, I've drawn plenty of non-canon pictures of my characters, it's not always about your intentions for the character's actual story.

Not to say it's meaningless, but I wouldn't take it as concrete proof either.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Kinda lost me with this chapter. I'm sorry, I can't easily imagine a world where an employee of a store you sometimes go to showing up at your home isn't just the biggest red flag ever. That's stalker behavior! Not okay! It's a gross misuse of the trust involved in giving a store your address, presumably just for deliveries or sale notification purposes.

When the other employee was looking the guy up, I was like "Oh, maybe they're going to call him or something" but nope, he just straight up gave her the guy's address.

If somebody I met once from a retail outlet I frequent showed up at my house to apologize because they thought they pushed too hard on the sale floor, my first thought would be "What the fuck do you think you're doing NOW?" My second thought would be "Do I need to call the police?"

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

So... this is basically all sponsored content now? Someone should teach the artist to be a bit more covert about this.

It's a little unfortunate, but since we're getting all chapters for free the artist's only source of income is through sponsored chapters + income from physical release sales. Besides, she's currently working on a 106-page chapter for university arc (2), so I'd reckon a guess that from now on we'll get huge long b/w chapters for plot, and short-sometimes-sponsored colored pages in the meantime.

Good to know University (2) is being worked on. Do you know if there's been any kind of a projected date for that?

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Remember kids, when you are in a shitty workplace just keep working hard and one day you too will be rewarded! ^^#

Actually, the moral seems to be more along the lines of "If your job sucks, look for an opportunity to move to a better one."

Her tasks were all shitty, until she actively went after an employer that she knew was cool and would treat her decently, and now things are better.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

She got rid of her glasses that made her ugly and incompetent, she's much more beautiful without them... hate that trope so much.

I don't see where you got the idea that they're doing that trope? Just because she's not wearing glasses later doesn't mean her glasses before had anything to do with her attractiveness, her competence, or anybody's perception of either of those things. In fact the narrative makes it pretty clear that she's perfectly competent and is doing her best in an overworked position. She probably just got contacts because they're convenient. Honestly if I could get the things in and out of my eyes I'd wear them too. Glasses are a pain in the ass.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I dunno who the bubbles were but it definitely wasn't either of their first times lol

That's the fakeout. It's the two of them, but they aren't having sex. They're talking about going on a brothel tour. And the suggestive "squeeze" is Sempai grabbing Asumi's hand as they walk to the airport terminal to head to the next stop.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Yessss, finally. This is one of my absolute favorites, it's been so long since last update, I was a bit worried.

(of course as always, thanks to the uploader/translators)

last edited at Jun 2, 2024 1:07PM

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Do they say that was a summer festival in that chapter? There are other festivals that are during the Japanese school year, including a couple in spring, to say nothing of possible local events. Festival activities are kind of the same for a lot of festivals, so unless they specifically called it out as a summer festival, I think there's wiggle room there. Very good chance there's other contradictions, though.

At least the translation doesn't explicitly call it a summer festival, but I doubt people wear yukata for festivals in early spring.

It mainly depends on the weather, from what I understand. If its warm enough, people will wear yukata for a spring festival.

There's another good one with HonoEli. Honoka went to Eli's home for the first time on Christmas. Soon after there's a chapter where they're celebrating Halloween together at her home.

Yeah, I definitely think the Halloween one would seem to come after the Christmas one. If you really want to make it work, the Christmas one doesn't explicitly say Honoka has never been to Eli's, just that she hasn't met Ed and Ian yet. She's freaking out, but that might more be because of the prospect of a party than the pressure of going to her house for the first time. She is obviously assuming that there will be people there besides them and the host family. And you don't see them interact with Ed and Ian during that scene, the Ed x Ian scene after could be later.

But it's a big stretch. They definitely seem much closer in the Halloween one, it's clearly meant to be later in their relationship.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

there goes my favorite couple T-T

I'm really hoping it's a temporary fakeout. Like she's gotta return for the summer but comes back when school starts again.
.... Actually I've never thought about it before, how does an American foreign exchange student to Japan deal with how the US and Japan have different starting times for the year? Do they only come over in June and miss the first semester of the Japanese school year?

You book a stay for a given length of time that you decide on in conjunction with the school. There's an application process and you specify the period of time you intend to stay, typically a 3 month semester or a full year. You're on the host country's time, so I think you typically plan to follow their schedule when there. Your school at home accommodates your departure and return, specifics might depend on your school or even your personal situation. Exchange students tend to be overachievers, so some students might even just choose to study abroad specifically during the summer semester and not miss much of the normal school year at home.

Given the range of holidays we've seen her participate in, Eli was there for at least two semesters, maybe the full year. I don't think we know if she's there for the march->august semester.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Somehow the person with the most characterization is the dude? (Did I missed it or does one of the girl not even have a name?)

I'm not opposed to the concept, but this just felt kind of bland.

I mean, it's just a very brief little one-shot that the author dropped on their pixiv.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Man, this one really hit me. Her music helped the kid make friends with the other kids i'm not crying your crynig

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Yeah, I've suspected for awhile that the timeline for all these relationships is jumbled up. I think all the holiday events are taking place concurrently, we just see them way out of order.

That would make a lot of sense. It's pretty much the only logical way of doing a very long running manga in a school setting, unless you go the comedy route and none of it really matters a la yuru yuri.

Mind you, the timelines still doesn't make sense. For instance, Honoka first meets Ed and Ian when Eli invites her to their home for Christmas. The next time they meet is during the summer festival.

Do they say that was a summer festival in that chapter? There are other festivals that are during the Japanese school year, including a couple in spring, to say nothing of possible local events. Festival activities are kind of the same for a lot of festivals, so unless they specifically called it out as a summer festival, I think there's wiggle room there. Very good chance there's other contradictions, though.

As I said above, the school year ends in March. The previous chapter confirms Eli won't stay in Japan long after the school year ends, since it's set a month before her leaving and Kaoru still hasn't graduated.

As far as I can tell, the time rules of this manga are something like this:
1. Chapters can take place whenever in the school year. Despite this, each storyline advances linearly. For instance, Chie and Ai are not dating in any chapter that appeared before ch. 105 and are dating in all chapters that appear afterwards, unless the chapter is clearly marked as a flashback.
2. To avoid really blatant paradoxes, no character is allowed to celebrate the same holiday or other event twice.
3. Entrance exams and running out of time with their romances because of graduation are not usually a concern to any of the third years. EliHono is the only couple on a deadline, at least for now.

Honestly if I had time I'd be interested in trying to see if I can zero in on a particular timeline, or zero in on explicit contradictions, but as a general rule I think this tracks.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

My exactly same thought. After all those 5+ christmasts and valentine's days, too.

My favorite example of this is how one of the early Mio/Shizuka chapters is set on Valentine's Day and they clearly aren't a couple yet. The Japanese school year ends in March. The entirety of the Mio-Shizuka-Kaoru-Mask drama must have thus logically taken place over the course of a month.

Though in Kishi's defense, I don't think he's ever had the same characters celebrating the same holiday more than once.

Yeah, I've suspected for awhile that the timeline for all these relationships is jumbled up. I think all the holiday events are taking place concurrently, we just see them way out of order.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

This series is so good, it is really distressing that it didn't find a bigger audience. Seems to happen with a lot of yuri-oriented fantasy stories.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Wow, I think this is the first chapter of a yuri manga in a WHILE that actually managed to piss me the hell off, we're reaching levels of trash not thought possible here.

??? This chapter was adorable. Minami is actually hopeful and expectant and Yuzu is making progress in spite of herself.

Like, you guys all get that when Minami says "Yep! Total Best Friend behavior" she knows that it isn't actually, right? She explicitly lays out her thought process: If Yuzu thinks this is "normal" for them, then she can't be more than a small push away from falling for her. She says "Yep, totally normal!" because she's trying to maintain that sense of closeness, not because she's actually dumb enough to buy the claim. This is the least useless Minami has been since this series started, she's clearly actively making moves. Kabedons, heart cookies, cheek kisses. Girl is on the attack, on purpose, because she has correctly sensed that it isn't a hopeless pursuit. She doesn't know that Yuzu actually is already head over heels, mind, she thinks she still has work to do, but she recognizes that the forehead kiss was definitely NOT far from a direct expression of romance, that's why her hopes soared.

(Edit: I mean, y'all, you realize the normal play for this trope is that Yuzu says "Yeah, totally a platonic forehead kiss!" and Minami would get all depressed about how it isn't romantic after all and lose heart? That's how this usually plays out. Minami going "Wow, that was SUPER gay for 'normal', maybe I've got a shot after all" is a subversion of the trope.)

As for the change in Yuzu's behavior, remember, until very recently, she was actively trying to surpress her feelings, because she already thought it was hopeless. The way I see it, now that Minami's on the offensive, like, actually trying to seduce her, her composure is cracking like a crumbling dam. She has changed, because she can't hold it in, because it's like Minami is TRYING to make her hope for more!

Because, y'know, she is.

last edited at May 10, 2024 11:41PM

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

UGGGH it's so nice to see more MariYuu (≧▽≦)
I think this chapter showed us more insight into their relationship and its really cute to see Mari getting some of that reciprocated love

also....that "ghost" kiss. Do you think that represents like even though we saw Yuu giving her 100% it still shows Mari's passion is stronger?....or is this just a representation of Yuu's desires?
or did I completely misinterpret that and Mari /actually/ kissed her?

I feel like she actually kissed her? They call it "a momentary opening." Mari saw an opportunity and kissed her, then plays it coy. She's feeling bold because the sniff made her realize her feelings aren't as one-sided as she thought they were.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Oh my, Yuu never gonna live that one down. XD

I mean, Mari can't exactly say "I was watching you change and you sniffed my sweater," so I'd be surprised if she ever gets confronted with it, but I definitely think this changes Mari's perspective on their relationship.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

renivxii posted:

In chapter 81 in the last panel is she laughing or is she shaking because she needed to puke badly?

Kanna is suppressing her laughing.

Honestly my favorite thing about this whole chapter.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I'm not crying your cryign

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I honestly have never [interacted with] a human person and gone "Wow, she's just like a cat." Or "He reminds me of a puppy!" But I see this all the time in manga. Maybe all these manga characters have more imagination than me...

Perhaps it's a cultural thing. Personally, I've never heard anyone compare a person with pets in my life.

In the UK, comparisons to animals are usually negative - saying a girl is a dog would be... not nice. So it's probably a cultural thing.

Well, you wouldn't call her "a dog", that would imply an insult about her looks, same in the US. Comparing her to a puppy, OTOH, or drawing comparisons with specific breeds, is less "looks like a dog" and more of a cute personality thing.

last edited at Mar 24, 2024 11:08PM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

"Throwing out", I meant throwing away, throwing in garbage almost full cans of beer, not vomiting (because I could not drink them, it was just some habit of buying what I knew I needed before)

Somebody already pointed out this was already correct, but just because you seem to have the phrases a little mixed up, the term for vomiting is "throwing up" rather than "throwing out". Throwing out just means to get rid of something in general, either by garbage, recycling, or just giving it to charity.

I don't think it was that common. I've been around since 2014/15 (this is my second account). There have always been transphobes on the internet (and there will always be), but dynasty had relatively few of those, and I never had to fight alone.

Yeah, I was also present years before subscribing here. It's not like I'm ignorant or that I don't know about people from our community, I just want sometimes to interact personally here with people.

edit: correction of some mistakes made by typing fast

At the very least I'd say the mods are always going to be on your side. A number of us here are very opinionated and can be snarky assholes sometimes. Gods know I piss people off sometimes. But very few people here are prone to or remotely tolerant of outright bigotry or transphobia.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

The Mayoi image needs a Kaoru reaction shot.