Forum › Posts by Heavensrun

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

The more I read this, the more I like it. I like to see more manga were lesbians flip the script, on het stories.

On a unrelated note has anyone ever thought to translate a manga, and add their own humorous commentary Rifftrax/MST3K style. I don't know how the copywrite laws work but I can't imagine it's too much different than fan fiction rules.

Well, I mean, "fanfiction rules" is literally 'It's all illegal but the rights holders turn a blind eye because it mostly helps their business"

A fan translation with the original work contained within would definitely interfere with sales, so they'd probably go after it.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I didn't come here just to say I told you so, but that's a lie and that's totally why I came here. ;)

last edited at Sep 27, 2021 1:36AM

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Rei out here making extra money...for Claire?? Is she foreshadowing something?? Either way, Claire was so f##king cute this chapter!

Not having read the original novel, my impression is that Rei is covertly putting down layer upon layer of safety nets for Claire to survive once the commoners inevitably rise up and start guillotining the nobles left and right.

Considering the setting is supposed to parallel a romance game about three princes, I'd be kind of surprised if there's a proletariat uprising. More likely things just go really badly for Claire's family specifically because she was originally the villainess and thus had a designated karmic comeuppance in the original game.

Edit: (Sorry, posted this on impulse before I saw muetokaerou's post. Still, I think the point about the three princes being the main love interests of the original game is relevant to the point, so I'm leaving it.)

last edited at Sep 26, 2021 3:36PM

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Am I missing something between ch 69 and 70? Wasn't Minami the drunk one?

Different circumstances. Chapter 70 is some time after 69, starting "in media res" and quickly flashing back to the previous night.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Nice.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

2, 4, and 5 are all nothing but red flags. Dating a teacher is an awful idea, the kiss demon is definitely a player, and the roommate is just a straight up lunatic.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

(Oh, Also, it could be a writing oversight, but ordinarily if your kid is transferring schools, you notify the school.)

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I'm on board with the group that thinks this is a false alarm. Either she's just changing houses but staying local, or somebody is moving out and she's staying, or somebody is moving -in- (Dad getting remarried, maybe?)

I think we can rule out the "somebody is moving in" theory. The mover is walking toward the truck with a box.

Yeah, I looked again sometime after posting that and noticed that detail.

I doubt it'll be a false alarm, but there's no guarantee that she'll completely leave the story so easily.

I just don't buy that Hana would move away without saying anything, and narratively if she was going to, I don't think she'd get caught in the act. It makes more sense to me from a story perspective if this is a bait and switch. I could be wrong, but I guess we'll see.

I mean, she's definitely not "completely leaving the story" either way. She's one of the main characters. Unless the next issue is the last one and we're getting the bad end, the worst case scenario there's a time skip to their reunion.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

So if she wasn't going for a kiss, what was Nononon trying to do? Hide her face?

Feeling so weak she collapsed?

I'm pretty sure she went in to listen to her heartbeat.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I'm on board with the group that thinks this is a false alarm. Either she's just changing houses but staying local, or somebody is moving out and she's staying, or somebody is moving -in- (Dad getting remarried, maybe?)

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Oh the president didn't know her sister was in the box? I was sure when she called out the date with that look that she knew what was up. I have no idea what the sister is planning.

Well, she might have suspected but still been startled by the outburst.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Okay, look.

Yeah, the comic is implausible. Absurd, even. People aren't wrong for pointing this out, and if it takes you out of the story, that's a legitimate POV.

It's also true that it's just a comedic manga, and it's okay to not take it too seriously. Both of these things are valid perspectives based on personal preference and opinion about what kind of stories you like to read. It's okay to want stories to have some grounding in reality, it's also okay to like stories that are batshit insane.

The thing I can't countenance are the people in this topic who are like "Oh, no, this is plausible, you guys, some girls just hit puberty a little early!"

Citation needed, motherf---ers. ;p Yeah, some girls hit puberty early. They might be a little taller than average. And have a relatively buxom figure. They might even plausibly pass for a short teenager.

They're still children. They're not 170 freaking cm tall with tits bigger than their head. This premise has no grounding in reality. It's okay if you like that, but don't get so defensive about it that you ignore reality. This girl is like 20cm above the top of the range of what is considered normal for her age. That's not an early bloomer, that's gigantism.

last edited at Sep 8, 2021 8:08PM

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Nothing to see here, just two life partners professing their wish to stay together forever while in the same bed. Absolutely definitely not gay at all.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

"Having similarities" is not inevitably the basis of a relationship--it can be, but having complementary differences is probably even more important.

I understand that the "complementarity hypothesis," is a commonly held belief, but it is demonstrably false. Researchers have conducted hundreds of rigorous, peer reviewed studies about it, and the overwhelming result is that opposites do not attract.[1]

When it comes to similarities or differences that people don't hold strongly, or care about strongly as central to themselves, it tends to not matter one way or another. But when it comes to qualities and believes that people think are important, the idea that people should look for someone who complements their traits is pure fiction. Not only do people seek partners that are similar, but over time, relationships where people are highly opposite are much more likely to break up. [2] [3]

1. A meta-analytic investigation of the processes underlying the similarity-attraction effect. R. Matthew Montoya, Robert S. Horton. 2012
  2. Interpersonal attraction and personality: What is attractive--self similarity, ideal similarity, complementarity or attachment security? Klohnen, E. C., & Luo, S. 2003
  3. Similarity in Relationships as Niche Construction: Choice, Stability, and Influence Within Dyads in a Free Choice Environment. Angela Bahns, Chris Crandall. 2016

I unironically, with zero sarcasm, love that you cite your sources.

But I feel like delving too deeply into the real-world academics of relationships is kind of burying the lede. This is a story. And what we should probably be doing is trying to determine if the twist makes sense in the narrative.

Aaaaaand I kind of don't think it does? We haven't really gotten any indications that Subaru is pining for Fuuka. If anything, I get the impression that she was annoyed that Fuuka took so long to actually confess. She's clearly been waiting for Asahi to find happiness, and Fuuka's dogged refusal to confront her own fears and just go for it must have been uniquely frustrating for her. Especially once Hinako showed up, and Subaru decided to ship it.

I mean, there are a bunch of ways that the author could have implied that Subaru had a thing for Fuuka herself, and they didn't employ any of them. That doesn't mean they -can't- end up together, but I think it makes for a solid case that there isn't anything there now.

And if you think Subaru is expressing "displeasure" with her banter with Fuuka, I don't think we actually are reading the same series.

As I said, Subaru is written as an honest person. And who is, by Japanese standards, uncommonly direct. Foe-shipping is very common in fandoms, and that's fine, but in real life it makes little sense.

Subaru is written as an honest person, that doesn't really have anything to do with whether or not she enjoys sparring with Fuuka. And this isn't really foe-shipping, because Subaru and Fuuka aren't really enemies in any respect. I mean, Fuuka is an impediment to Subaru's ship, but that's kind of it. She clearly shows affection towards Fuuka at times, and their relationship isn't all adversarial. I just don't think there's anything romantic there either.

For my part, I suspect Subaru used to ship Fuuka and Asahi. She probably cheered Fuuka on from the start, just like she did with Hinako. And then she watched Fuuka get into relationship after relationship while keeping the one person she actually wanted to be with at arms length, and by the time we meet Fuuka, Subaru is just done with her. New ship in town. (Edit: Actually, a thought, Fuuka being useless is probably WHY Subaru came on so strong shipping Hinako.)

And personally, I kind of hope nothing develops between Subaru and Fuuka. Dating the little sister of your unrequited crush is a little creepy, and even if it worked out and nobody felt weird about it somehow, it kinda reeks of "pair the spares".

last edited at Aug 29, 2021 3:09PM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

But I feel like she has some unrealistic expectations for a relationship, and it makes me wonder if that's also part of what went wrong in all of her other relationships.

It is heavily implied that what went wrong in all her other relationships is that she was carrying an unspoken torch for Asahi the whole time.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Well that escalated quickly.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Nice end, but can the author finish dear my teacher already?

Dear my Teacher is a doujin project, which means they work on it on their own time. Being a serialized pro creator means less time for personal projects like that, unfortunately.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

So the blind girl's last name is Blind? Kinda on the nose, isn't it?

To be fair Japanese anime names do this all the time, even in Japanese, so having her name be the thing that she is, but in English, is actually a step of obscuration that doesn't even usually happen.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Ohhhhh, that's not good. Crows remember faces and bring friends.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

This is simply a restatement of the weirdness. Yes, Shima did not literally say, “I love women to the total exclusion of men,” but the presentation of her coming-out scene strongly suggested just that, and, until this latest chapter, readers had every reason to believe that Ise understood it that way, without any need for further clarification or discussion.

Any number of other manga have contained scenes with some variation of “I fall in love with both men and women/ I thought I was straight until I met so-and-so/ gender doesn’t matter to me, it’s the person I love,” etc., and Shima’s revelation was nothing like that—it was a classic, “I love women, I’ve suffered socially for it, and you must think I’m disgusting and twisted” lesbian coming-out story.

Yes, in the event this chapter does suggest that Ise must have been incredibly dense or oblivious to what Shima told her in Chapter 15, but until now there was absolutely no reason to suspect that was the case.

I think there's a couple things to it. First, Ise knows for sure Shima is into women, but she may not actually know with certainty that she isn't into men, and she might have just wanted to confirm that before shutting him down. I mean, part of bi erasure is the fact that people tend to just assume that if we like the same sex we're gay, and if we like the opposite sex we're straight, but the truth is, if you haven't specified, then you haven't specified, and it could actually be considerate for Ise to entertain that possibility before turning down what might be Shima's great destined lifelong romance.

(I mean, she has not yet realized that she IS Shima's great destined lifelong romance, after all.)

We don't see her thought process, and we don't actually know what she told the guy when he asked. If I was gonna guess, I'd assume it was something like "Ummmm....I'll ask her, I guess."

Secondly, even if Shima is 100% definitely no holds barred supergay ladysexual, it's not like Ise can use that as an excuse to turn him down. She can still turn him down, but if he asks "Why not" she might not have an excuse at the ready, especially when he put her on the spot unexpectedly.

So when she goes to talk to Shima, Ise comes at her with this weird, kind of vague question, because she's trying to get a solid idea of whether Shima is gay or bi, and if it's the latter, what her tastes are, but ultimately, she's just trying to pass the buck on shooting the guy down.

And then of course Shima gets pissed, because that forces her to be the bad guy, and because she's sick of her friends trying to hook her up with guys. (Also probably secretly because she's upset that Ise is fine with her dating somebody else.)

Basically I think Ise is just being conflict avoidant. She wasn't trying to actually set them up, just get out from under an awkward request. (Which, to his credit, he recognized when she finally did turn him down. It was kind of shitty for him to ask Ise instead of just confessing directly to Shima.)

As for whether Shima actually is gay or bi, I think it's not ironclad, but she's probably gay. She didn't give any indication of being into guys when she first came out to Ise, that's true, but also her concern at the time was that Ise would be disgusted to live with someone that is into girls at all. Since the attraction to women is the source of potential conflict there, it'd make sense that she'd focus on that aspect rather than clarifying the full range of her sexual preferences.

(I mean also I'm pretty sure she was more worried about it because she was specifically crushing on Ise herself. But the point stands.)

All the other times she's talked about romance, it's been in general, non-gender specific terms. She -did- say in this episode that her tastes go "regardless of gender", but as Ise noticed, her language was vague enough that she might not have realized Ise was asking about romance. And the fact that she didn't like it when her friends set her up with guys might be because she wasn't interested in any of them and didn't like being put on the spot to have to reject them.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I'll bet a hundred bajillion dollars that she is literally just talking about something that will lower Heath's anxiety when they aren't physically together. In fact, I'd bet that she got Heath a ring, which will turn out to be a hilarious coincidence when it turns out Heath got Lily a ring.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Gonna end this here because "this is just a yuri manga" but are you fucking stupid, lmao? She shouted and herself didn't care about her surroundings, that is it. It is clear that she did it to get the guys to leave and Momo knew that, too but SHE STILL DID SHOUT SHE IS LESBIAN. They can goof around in the nurses office without being executed BECAUSE THEY ARE KIDS.

"That's said, it's funny you take the argument for that shouting and apply to toher situtations when i didn't say anything like that. There is a difference between shouting to leave someone alone and groping someone half naked or blackmailing someone."" BECAUSE IT WAS IN RELATION HAHAHA: I said before she shouted and defended her and now she just goes along to fk Mary because the author wants it. If you won't read what people type for you, don't answer at all you ignorant f. You made a fool out of yourself.

The fact that they're kids also means they aren't capable of rationally evaluating the consequences of their actions. Nanase doesn't know what will happen if it is exposed that she and Momo were doing naughty stuff in the Nurse's office. She just knows it's bad, and they're being threatened with it, and that Momo would get in trouble because of her. Maybe she thinks they'll get grounded, or expelled. Maybe she's afraid their parents would pull them apart. Maybe she thinks they'll get charged with a sex crime. Maybe she doesn't think it'd be that big a deal, but she assumed Mary wouldn't take things as far as she did. It isn't actually important, because no matter what, she is clearly being coerced, which makes her a literal rape victim.

It doesn't matter if she's out as a lesbian or not. It doesn't matter if she responded physically to her rape. (Oh, and you better believe I'm coming back to THAT.) What matters is that she didn't want to do it, and she was coerced into doing it against her will.

In any event, what you are doing is actual victim blaming, and you should be ashamed. Even if this is a stupid ecchi comedy, the fact that you looked at this situation and your brain went to criticize the victim is very bad. "She was feeling it" is the kind of argument rapists use to justify themselves. It's a physiological response. The victim literally CAN'T HELP IT, so you DON'T SHAME THEM OVER IT.

There are legitimate complaints about Nanase's conduct in this series. She doesn't respect boundaries herself, and her own behavior borders often on sexual assault, and is mostly only forgivable because she's a child and doesn't know what she's doing. You could complain about the fact that she even got them into the situation by groping Momo without permission in the first place.But complaining about the blackmail scene? No, that is well outside her realm of responsibility.

I want to make something clear, I have sanitised this post in the hopes you might actually read it and absorb something from it, but if you were in front of me, absent the filter that comes from typing up and thinking about a post? You would've gotten a string of very loud profanity spat directly in your face over this, because this shit is not okay. You're allowed to dislike any character for any reason you want, but when you start echoing rape apologists, expect the flamethrowers to come out.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

One would assume that, as usual, mages simply summon/create their respective elements. Less noticeable with air users or earth users who create walls like that, possible even to explain away with water and fire to an extent, but certainly noticeable at the very least with earth type projectiles. Well, never a good idea to think too much about most magic systems in any case.

Indeed, as long as specific chemical elements aren't a plot point, I have no trouble switching my brain off and enjoying the fireworks. But in this instance, Rei specifically lampshades that she is using advanced technical knowledge from modern Japan (why does an ex-office lady know so much about metallurgy, by the way?), so the author has deliberately brought real-world chemistry into their magic system and willingly invited a critical examination thereof.

It's...magic. It literally doesn't matter how much real world chemistry is involved, at the base, it's all bullshit, and the details are dressing. This isn't any different from Rodd's flame troops sucking up the oxygen in the room, or any number of similar tricks in various fantasy settings. Even the fact that fire magic is hot (which is probably universal to all magic systems in all fantasy settings) is bringing in a feature of the real thing while ignoring the fact that humans can't summon or control it at will.

All stories with magic assume a certain blend of fantastical elements with various degrees of common sense and real world knowledge. You bridge the gap with suspension of disbelief in all cases. Rei's ability to summon tungsten and turn it into a real world alloy is not more unbelievable than her ability to magically control dirt and earth in the first place.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

why does this not have a subtext tag? there is plenty of it

Honestly it's almost text.

Heavensrun
Kill Switch discussion 21 Jul 02:41
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Heavensrun, good job! I read your posts several times and I think you are definitely, if not right on everything, at least mostly correct.

These last two chapters had me really confused. (Just like Jeongwon, lol.) I felt like Jisoo was sending a huge tangled mess of mixed signals in Jeongwon's direction, and I really couldn’t make heads or tails of whatever message she was trying to convey... but now, after reading your interpretation, I feel like I finally understand what's going on.

Btw I don't remember at all that flashback moment with Jisoo and Hwayeon kissing. I can't believe I missed such an important scene! I must have thought it was two other girls or something... If anyone can point the chapter and page where it happened, I'll be thankful.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/kill_switch_ch10#13
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/kill_switch_ch10#14
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/kill_switch_ch10#15

This is basically the first big hint we get of Jisoo and Hwayeon's history. They swap texts a chapter or so earlier, which told us that they knew each other better than Hwayeon let on, but this was the big reveal.