Forum › Posts by Heavensrun

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Wait no one is questioning the fact the company only had one brand new plate, or that the one plate costs the rough equivalent of 10,000 dollars? Who buys a freaken 10G plate and just lends it to the company staff to use? Lol

If it's worth that much, it's probably an antique, and it is probably not for use, but for decoration.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

What if she takes the picture and posts it...

...with the still-made second bed accidentally in the background of the photo?

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

SORA PLEASE SAY “MARRY ME” IN THE NEXT CHAPTER..

Guys. They're teenagers.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Going off of the comments for awhile now I feel like 1 of maybe...5 people that are still reading this manga and enjoying it haha

Internet comments are never, ever representative of actual reader enjoyment. People who are displeased with something are way more likely to seek someplace to bitch about it. This disproportionately skews online criticism toward the negative. Never use that as a barometer.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Why contract sisters then? Seems like a weird way to shoot the romance thing in the foot?

Not if you're a siscon!

This.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

One thing I don't get at all, however, is the part about Youzi's mom losing her job. Wtf? No tv station in the world fires an actress because her little kid got into a fight in preschool! Come on, that's not a thing!

What if the kid's dad works for whoever Youzi's mom was working for at that time?

Yeah, of course, it's also possible that her mom left an audition to come deal the the situation, or that she just didn't get a part for unrelated reasons and Youzi is misunderstanding something.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

So I'm reading through this, and currently on Chapter 16. Kinda confused by the ending; did I miss something, or was there a mistranslation? Like, I can't tell if the last panel is implying Minami got hit by the sister, or by Iori, or neither. Looking back through the chapter, no actual violence has been shown from either of them despite the plentiful threats, but then there's that that like, mark on Minami's cheek that I can't tell if it's a bruise or just her blushing for some reason. Given everything that went down in like, Chapter 8 or 9 or so, it feels like kind of a weird implication, but given no hitting was directly shown, I'm wondering if the translation is off or something.

Iori punched Minami. Minami like, directly says so. Iori actually hits Minami pretty often, people here on the forums complain about it all the time. The author doesn't seem to recognize the disconnect between the "This person is from an abusive household" backstory and the "people punch each other for slapstick" humor.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

It has repeatedly come up with manga creators that a lot of them consider "Yuri" a specific genre with specific tropes. I would caution people to just read the story and interpret it on it's own terms.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I don't know why people are being so aggressive towards him. I have read the 6th chapter though.

He's a male in a yuri, and not an obviously harmless brother or wingman, in fact is set up as a potential disturber of the yuri romance.

Considering they mention he's married and his wife had a child, he seems pretty harmless to me.

. . . Except the child was concieved while he was dating her which clearly shows he isn't above cheating, which is also a strike against him.

Jesus, people, this isn't "Oooh, Men bad yuri good," literally everything we know about this guy is red flags.

Maybe it turns out to be a misunderstanding, but right now there is every reason to expect that he's a scumbag who's gonna toy with Shiina's feelings. At the very least he's a reminder of her defining trauma.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

"My romantic partner isn't a good reason to choose a school so I'll go to school somewhere else if it's a better school"

Unless every confectionary school in Tokyo is hot garbage, choosing a slightly better school elsewhere just because it's slightly better when you have a REALLY good reason to want to study in Tokyo would be nothing short of moronic.

It's not like you're trying to get on Kitchen Nightmares with Gordon Ramsey, any decent confectionary school is totally fine and throwing your relationship away just for a slightly better school that won't really make any meaningful difference in the end would be PEAK useless lesbian, fookin' hell. I would actually quit this story if it goes in that direction, because that's exactly the cheap forced-in drama I hate in storytelling.

I stayed at my college to remain close to somebody I was in a relationship, and we broke up two years in, and my school wasn't BAD and my education wasn't terrible, but I settled, and now I get to regret that forever. So sorry, but you're completely wrong.

You should go where you want to go, not wrap your life around being geographically close to a romantic partner. If you're a seriously good fit, you'll make long distance work.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Probably the usual "suki", which is very ambiguous in Japanese.

Y'know, people always say this, but my experience was always that HS students in the U.S. use "like" in pretty much the same ambiguous way.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

A) "You can do this, but not that" is not "mixed signals." Kissing someone is not permission to go further.

B) "Not on the first date" may not be everyone's philosophy but any adult person should be pretty freakin' aware that it is some people's philosophy, and acting like someone just grew a second nose because they won't let you suck on their tits is pretty poor behavior.

C) Stopping when told to stop is bare minimum As in actually stopping, not "holding off for a bit".

You can say "I'm not saying she was perfect," but like....that's literally the problem? It's not hard to be perfect on this!

I think you're reading into my comment. I didn't say kissing was permission to go further, I was saying that Mei didn't mind the kissing, and they haven't known each other for long, so Karin's decision to go further isn't ridiculous.

No, it's not. But when Mei said to stop, it was wrong of her to complain about it.

Not to mention, Karin is telling Mei her thought process the entire time. She didn't jump her out of nowhere, she's basically narrating her desires giving Mei the opportunity to consent.

And then she acts before consent is given. That's the problem. (I mean, from a human behavior point of view.)

As for B, the author made a point that she's tipsy, and her being whiny for like a second about being denied seems more a result of the gag manga aspects here, than poor behavior.

The fact that it's a gag manga doesn't mean it isn't still poor behavior. Comedy series ROUTINELY capitalize on the awkward feelings caused by poor behavior, that's usually the point. You're left thinking "lol this dumbass".

Karin's intentions have been really clear. She wants to do more than kissing, most probably she wants to fuck. At least, they're clear enough to the average adult, though Mei didn't pick up on it, so I think it's natural for Karin to be a bit whiny about it, and she does stop when told to immediately. The context of their previous interactions matter, and people are allowed to be disappointed if things don't go the way they were expecting.

People are allowed to be disappointed. They are not allowed to start needling you to do it anyway and then push you down without consent.

You explain to me how that isn't mixed signals.

Ahem.

A) "You can do this, but not that" is not "mixed signals." Kissing someone is not permission to go further.

It isn't mixed signals to make out with somebody but not want to go further.

I can't state it more clearly than that. Being okay with kissing does not mean it is okay to go further than kissing. That isn't "mixed signals" that's a boundary and boundaries should be respected, not smashed down with abandon.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

There's no way the teacher or taste woman are getting picked.

A lot of these writers need to take some hints from hentai. No cap. I don't mean writing sex but writing variety for the outcome of their romance plots. It's obvious who the 2 women the protagonist is most interested in, tomboy and roommate, so there's no point in shipping her with the others.

That's not something I want to say but I've rad enough hentai and gotten more satisfaction from those romances, when there are some, than a lot of these "normal" anime and manga.

Hentai always has the worst dialogue but I guarantee anyone here could find one with a romance plot and genuinely not know the outcome til the end.

I'm talking about hentai manga specifically because hentai anime is just atrocious and under sells the credit hentai strangely deserves sometimes.

I think you're letting your personal preferences show through.

If we're talking about romance tropes, the first girl with meaningful interaction is usually end game. That'd make it Riri, (not only is she the first girl she meets, she's the first one to get a focus chapter.) unless high-school-crush-chan makes a surprise appearance. If we're talking who she's most interested in so far....I'd say she's pretty evenly split? I mean, for starters, she's clearly a pushover who "falls for" any sexy lady in close proximity, and when straight up asked "is there anyone you're into?" She literally thinks of all five of them.

But this isn't a romance, it's a romantic comedy, which kinda means the plot will go wherever it needs to go for laughs. We might not even GET an endgame girl. I kinda doubt we'll get a harem or poly ending, but we might get a "the struggle continues" ending.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Karin is definitely best girl. She knows what she wants and goes for it. They're in college, she asks her on a date, she asks her out. That champagne kiss was great too.

She might know what she wants, but she doesn't seem to understand the concept of "not on the first date," which is a problem.

They kissed on their first meeting, Karin invited her to her place, and she held off when she was told no. Well, held off for a bit anyway. I'm not saying she was perfect, but "not on the first date" is not everyone's philosophy, and at minimum she's getting mixed signals.

B) "Not on the first date" may not be everyone's philosophy but any adult person should be pretty freakin' aware that it is some people's philosophy, and acting like someone just grew a second nose because they won't let you suck on their tits is pretty poor behavior.

C) Stopping when told to stop is bare minimum As in actually stopping, not "holding off for a bit".

You can say "I'm not saying she was perfect," but like....that's literally the problem? It's not hard to be perfect on this!

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

"It's okay, though, she's into that."

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

wtf?? since when chaptwr 8.5 is an clear and on the face that Zhang is DEFENTLY GAY! stop projecting because ther was no one drop of clear indication she is gay or anything, it’s like beting the supposed straight character to be secretly in the closet were that trope has been doen to death in the yuri gener,

but the chapter itself has you so delusionade that you for sure 100% know she is gay??? what?

First, I didn't say "definitely gay" or "100% gay," I said "increasingly interested." That isn't even subtext, that's just there.

Chapter 8.5 starts with Zhang blushing and freaking out because Dai is looking for her, visibly excited. She then has a serious mood crash when she realizes she said something that might have made Dai feel bad. Then the last little bit makes it clear that Zhang helped with the students specifically to help out Dai. (The last line on that first page also makes it clear that she did so for personal reasons.)

When you put this in the context of the original scenes, those scenes often left things ambiguous as to whether Zhang was conscious of Dai and her feelings, or if she was oblivious. 8.5 shows her perspective in those moments and shows that not only was she not oblivious, she was in full gay panic mode.

This context, paired with the fact that she keeps acting to help out Zhang (with the billboard, with the prinicpal, with the students, etc) shows a clear signs of a crush. The larger context of the series (and, y'know, the title is clearly painting Zhang as somebody who is in a loveless engagement. Her awareness of and interest in Dai is not well hidden from the reader. It's all over the place. She wants to sit with her, she wants her to come looking for her, she keeps finding ways to help her out, she wants to get invited to the hot springs with her....The writing is on the wall. Your inability to read it is your problem.

Edit: Oh, but I will make a bold, crazy prediction now: Zhang is definitely, 100% gay. She is into Dai Yi, she is in a betrothal with her gay male friend because they want to put up a front for their families because Chinese culture is unforgiving on this topic. There are lots of clear indications of this, and have been for awhile, but it's going to get significantly more obvious in the next couple of chapters.

last edited at Jun 25, 2022 8:47PM

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Oh good, it looks like a hiatus gave the author the space to deepen the characters!

Gonna be frank, everything in this chapter, aside from the revelation that Zhang's fiancee is gay, was already there. I honestly don't know how you read 8.5 without coming away with the conclusion that Zhang was aware of Dai Yi's feelings, increasingly interested in her, and eager for her to express them. Most of her actions have been aimed clearly at helping Dai Yi or getting closer to her, the only missing piece of the puzzle was the fact that her betrothal is a complete show. They're both gay. They almost definitely know they're both gay, but they're getting married to throw their families off the scent, because China is horrible about LGBT issues.

Zhang Guo's attitude now is clearly a crush with little to no toying with Dai Yi. She's still oblivious,

She's not oblivious, she's guarded.

but it won't come off as one-note and callous if we know her meticulous but still unfocused side from laundry, which proves her quirks aren't restricted to dealing with others.

I mean we already knew that she has OCD. She literally has to count to the nearest 5 minutes any time she does something.

Quick touches like these can massively clarify and improve story and character! I think the author wanted to portray her as a strong mysterious person, but for me instead of relatable (like "been there, sis") she just came off as lacking empathy (at its worst in the childhood flashback).

Childhood flashback? are you talking about this one panel, or did I miss something?
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/a_fruitless_betrothal_ch10#2

Dai Yi has kept thinking like in ch10. This final ritual for complete closure is properly asking someone out ready to be rejected I guess? Or testing someone's sexuality in any case.

I'm pretty sure the "final ritual" was to go out on the town and get drunk as hell and curse the world for Zhang Guo.

Seriously, I think a lot of people don't get how different prevalent attitudes in China are.

You DO NOT confess if you aren't very very confident that the person you are confessing to would never out you. Especially if it's somebody you work with.

She could lose her job. She could lose her home. She's already lost her parents, although it seems like they're still checking up on her through her friend. Honestly, even her friend is playing into the angles of oppression. She keeps trying to get her to go back to her parents, which by default means going back in the closet. (Unless her parents have decided to accept her, which seems unlikely.)

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Two points about that intro question:

1) Miss Sunflower fully accepts that Matsuri loves her--not that she says she loves her, or she thinks she loves her, etc.

2) This is the bog-standard "early relationship" question--"What is it that you like about me?" It's a key to understanding the other person's feelings, and can be an ego-boost (you get to hear a list of your own admirable qualities) or a reality check (you find out whether that person's idea of you is grounded in a version of you that you even vaguely recognize).

Put another way, it's almost like a marriage-interview question. And at the end Miss Sunflower has no problem with Matsuri saying she loves her, just "not so loud."

Also that blush.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I love Tongtong's mom, but I don't know why I ever expected her plan to not be stupid.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

She'd sound like a fucking lunatic! No sane person would ever believe that story, no matter how true it is.

Elsa would probably trust Evie with some doubt, however Evie at this moment is very emotionally unstable and is very much afraid of what the System would make her do to Elsa and she has every right to be so. Who wouldn't be afraid of the mysterious god like system that is forcing you to hurt your beloved from time to time and has the ability to alter the minds of people, or even reality to turn against you when you disobey them.

But it seems that Evie is willing to risk all of that to be with Elsa now, looking forward to that.

Nah, I'm on board with their take. "I routinely see messages that no one else can see that tell me to hurt you" doesn't sound like an outside threat you both have to deal with, it sounds like a psychosis. Honestly Yvonne shouldn't even be assuming it's real. It actually could all be in her head. The natural conclusion for Elsa would be that "this person I find charming and eccentric might actually be dangerous to me or herself."

Elsa is inclined to trust Yvonne, but no trust is absolute. She might even still love her but start thinking she needs to be locked up before she hurts herself.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

IM NOT CRYING YOUR CRYING

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Evie is essentially at the mercy of a capricious god in this series.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

It's fine. She can come back like the times Miyako has murdered her before. :P

"If I had a nickel for every time my idol caused my soul to leave my body, I'd have 2 nickels. Which isn't a lot but it's weird it happened twice...."

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I realize the story is implying that the old lady was a ghost, but honestly I think it's fun to imagine that she's hiding behind the log as a prank.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I wouldn't have said this at the start, but I would love to see a spin-off for Madoromi. She grew a little, but it doesn't feel like she's had a proper arc. Also, I always want the failed romantic rival to get something better than the "accepting that they lost" story beat.

It's purely crack-shipping, but I do think Madoromi x Ai's work kouhai would be funny just for the irony of it.

Nah, you should never pair two tsunderes. It's like crossing the streams.