Forum › Posts by Heavensrun

Heavensrun
Image Comments 18 Feb 11:23
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017
Tumblr_12de8da41b8c85b6a7eaafe127e523af_d0cbd4e8_1280

Korra is the type that thinks she's the top and definitely isn't.

last edited at Feb 18, 2021 11:23AM

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

With the ending we had last time, at least this adds more missing pieces to the puzzle. It isn't the ending this manga deserves but at least the author did their best considering the circumstances.

Thor: Did they, though?

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Real powerful "ah, oh, please don't be mad at me" vibes from the author in this chapter. Hard to decide whether this is just an attempt at clarifying the ending they had in mind from the beginning or if this is a change to try and satisfy people...

Other people in this thread are right that Risako showing up really complicates this and seems like a mistake. Didn't she straight-up confess to Kaoru earlier on in the series at least once and the author never resolved it?

Yes, but apparently ambiguously stringing on confessors for literally years is Kaoru's MO.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Creating chapters for this story is not the decision of the manga artist itself.

There are many, many authors published in the same magazine navigating the same circumstances who do not have these problems

Yeah, but to be fair, not all stories are equal in all respects. Some stories can be ended abruptly whenever, some can't. Some authors are good at improvising a solid conclusion, some are too tied to their original vision to let it go. Every situation is different.

This all reads to me like the author had this big long term plan for how these two gradually get together, and in the end they didn't get to make it so they gave us the cliff's notes so that we know what the plan was.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

(facepalm)

Wait, so, when they're living together at the end of the series, that wasn't even them being together together? They just....decided to live together, being....what. Friends? With Kaoru knowing how Uta felt, and Uta believing there wasn't any romantic prospects? I assumed they'd gotten together and -then- moved in, because that was the only possibility that made any kind of sense.

How did they make the ending WORSE?

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Am I the only one bothered Tetsu seemed to imply Mogu was binary

? Where are you getting that? He didn't refer to Mogu in a gendered way at any point. He's using their given name, but Mogu hasn't chosen a different one, and, I mean, everybody there is "Mogumo". And he doesn't want to undersell their closeness by using their last name.

He uses his sister's experience to inform his explanation, but he doesn't say anything that suggests they're the same, just that the same principle is in play: The fact that someone's gender is different from how you knew them before shouldn't change how they are precious to you.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Ch 99
Coincidences. . .
The pill, Was it ever the only way to know for sure?
Couldn't they have talked before?
I guess what's done, is done. . .
and Yuki now knows the answer, and will need to live with that.
. . .
Why must it end at chapter 100 。:゚(;´∩`;)゚:。

Maybe the author has OCD? ;p

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

(Boss fight music engages)

Heavensrun
Citrus + discussion 22 Jan 22:46
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Everybody's talking about the hickey and the useless lesbians, and I'm just here laughing at the fact that Yuzu has been wearing Mei's ring this whole time.

Hm but why did Yuzu say to Mei “You can keep my ring”
my point is why would Yuzu take Mei’s ring from out of the box when she took her’s already out

She didn't mean to take Mei's ring. She left -her- ring with her other jewelery, that's what they're showing in the last page there. Which means later she picked up Mei's ring, thinking it was hers because they have the same ring size, and Mei didn't notice because she didn't think to look through Yuzu's jewelery for her ring.

last edited at Jan 22, 2021 10:51PM

Heavensrun
Citrus + discussion 22 Jan 12:16
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Everybody's talking about the hickey and the useless lesbians, and I'm just here laughing at the fact that Yuzu has been wearing Mei's ring this whole time.

Heavensrun
Suito-to! discussion 19 Jan 09:19
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Hopefully, this isn't an "absent parent comes back just to disapprove of whatever their child is doing" plotline

But if she doesn't disapprove, then how will Yuzu win her over with the power of delicious food?

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

So I finally got around to reading the Saeki Sayaka novels, and I have thoughts, so I'm gonna put them here because I don't really have anywhere else to do so. I'm assuming spoiler bars aren't necessary, so if you want to be surprised, don't read this.

So These were a pretty good read. It felt like an authentic window into the same setting as the original manga, the characters felt consistent with their true selves. The first two volumes were difficult to get through, knowing what happens with both relationships. The relationship with Yuzuki felt way, way too real for me. I've lived that, and it hurts. The second volume was kind of the same way, reading about Sayaka falling deeper in love with Touko and kind of figuring out her deal, but knowing she just never quite reaches her.

Initially I thought the structure of the second volume was a bit odd. While the first volume is very linear, the second volume starts off with a series of vignettes that are interspersed through the events of the manga- some new events, some existing events told from Sayaka's perspective, but not much by way of structure, just...filling in some gaps. This section definitely assumes you have read the manga. The second part then jumps back to how Sayaka first got into the situation we found her at in the beginning of the manga. I thought this was an odd choice, but maybe it was so that new readers wouldn't actively ship Sayaka and Touko? Although man, it's hard not to, even knowing how all that ends.

There is a TON of Manaka x Midori shipping bait in the second and third volume. I mean geez. I thought of certain persons on this discussion forum repeatedly while reading all of it.

The third volume was also a pretty good read. Haru definitely feels different from anybody else we've met in the setting. As much as people have joked about her resembling Yuu, physically, They are extremely different. If I was going to compare her to anyone, I'd probably put her more in line with Akari or Natsuki. I laughed my ass off the first time she invited Sayaka over and started broadcasting her sexual preferences. "Here, Senpai, Take this rainbow colored glass. Look at it. See the pretty rainbow? Note how it's rainbow colored please. I'M GAY OKAY" I also appreciated Sayaka's sharp grandma. She knew what was up well before Sayaka did, and it was very amusing. i was hoping we'd get a coming out scene at some point, just so that Grandma could just respond with "Oh, dearie. We know. We've always known."

Ultimately it was very gratifying to finally see Sayaka find happiness, and after two volumes of watching her pursue dead-end relationships, seeing her being pursued for once was nice. The unexpected appearance of swimming-pool girl in the last volume was also a fun moment. I felt bad for her when Sayaka bolts in V1 so it was nice to see that it was still a positive memory for her.

last edited at Jan 17, 2021 11:33PM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Am I the only one who wants their parents to find out about their relationship? I think it would take an interesting twist if so, although I think Shimamura's mother already has suspicions ... and Shimamura's hints about them knowing that they are dating, mmm. ..

I think Shimamura's mom definitely knows, and I suspect Adachi's mom is pretty sure as well. The only one that is likely oblivious is Shima's dad.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

around chapter 300 these two will probably roleplay a full BL bedroom scene "for research" and say no homo afterwards

Eli has been doggedly sincere about her feelings the whole time, it's really only Honoka who's playing the denial game.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

That bit wherever she said 'Don't go'? I suspect the cause of that will also have something to do with why she didn't believe Kozuka's confession. Hopefully we'll get to learn a bit more about that

I imagine she suspects that Kozuka's efforts to make more money are an attempt to get out of their arrangement. Which they are, but not for the reason she thinks. She thinks Kozuka wants to be free of her, Kozuka actually wants the arrangement to get out of the way of their relationship.

we are approaching dangerous levels of mommy roleplay

wait... when she looked at that mom with her kid, was she jealous of the kid?

edit: also this chapter needs an insane amounts of head pats tag.

We don't know her home life or background, so it's possible, but it's also possible that she was thinking about the whole lesbians/children thing. There are a lot of barriers to same-sex parenting in Japan, and wanting children is often a reason past relationships have failed in yuri manga stories. It's a common fear among gay people, especially people who have feelings for someone that is straight or bi, that they'll eventually want to move on to a relationship that can lead to children.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I think the person who suggested that this is the author rushing through the plot points they had planned is spot on. I think they had this beautiful mental image of a slow burn arc where Uta goes to college and has somebody crush on her while Kaoru sorts her life out while taking strength from Uta's love, and they were told to just finish it because readers are losing interest and this is the author just going "oh goddammit fuck fuck fine here's what it was going to be whatevs i'm done"

I mean, I'm pretty sure the idea here is that Uta and Kaoru are effectively married at this point.

Fun point to note, We're all saying double timeskip...I think there's actually three. First we skip to immediate post-divorce Kaoru, THEN we jump to Uta in college, THEN we jump to domestic bliss.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

This kind of amuses me, like, there was all this grumpiness here in the forums about the prospect of a time skip?

WELL HAVE TWO OF THEM, YA WHINY BASTARDS.

I know it's probably not a direct reaction, but it honestly kind of feels like one. ;p

(Edit: Oh, but srsly my hot take is that this has "canned by the publisher" energy.)

last edited at Oct 19, 2020 9:16PM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I hope the mods never give in to the pressure to add the spoiler tags. The entire point of the manga was to shock readers, and that doesn't happen if you know the girl is a yandere from the start.

maybe there are people who have zero interest in edgy dark twists but end up having to read all of the stories that are like this because some people think it's some sort of sacred experience that can't be hinted at by the tags.

Actually, "spoiler" tags would be a neat functionality. Like tags that say "spoiler" and when you click on them they turn into the appropriate tags? Then people who want to spoil the twist could do so, and to anybody else, it at worst suggests that there's -some- kind of reveal, which could be virtually anything.

No idea if it could be implemented, though.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Come on Tetsu, I expected an immediate hug after that. I guess it's time to confront the parents. Gotta say tho that wasn't a very nice thing Mogu said to their mom. Could have been handled better but then again dad isn't exactly father of the year.

Mogu is a child in an abusive household. Their mother is also struggling and confused, but the dad is an abusive shithead who treats his kids like shit just because he's never bothered to understand them. You shouldn't hold an abused child responsible for lashing out in frustration.

Heavensrun
Image Comments 02 Sep 13:06
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Catra explicitly ran the horde extremely efficiently and was a dangerously effective second in command for Hordak. She also regularly figures out how to use things to her advantage, often on the fly. Like, girl had never seen a teleporter before in her life and she shoved Glimmer in one and just figured it out.

Everything dumb Catra ever does is explicitly motivated by her psychological problems, not a lack of intelligence.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

^I feel like Yashiro exerts some kind of influence that makes others take her presence for granted as one of her supernatural traits. Though I don't think what her deal is will ever be fully explained, her mysteriousness is part of the joke/charm.

It was fun at first as far as I'm concerned, now for me, it's just starting to really really wear off :\ and I don't even think she particularily adds anything to the story, although I was waiting for her to have some kind of importance.

i didn't particularly MIND her til this last chapter. i mean, COME ON who doesn't notice a whole fucking (scuse the language but reading that was really stupid >.>) CHILD in their bag??? and how the hell is she just carrying her around???? i know they mention she's light, but not THAT light,

I mean, yes she is. She literally is. This has come up before, whenever anybody lifts her up, it's like she's barely even there. She's impossibly light.

I think a lot of people here are suddenly realizing that no, the joke is not that Yashiro is a reasonably normal girl with blue hair that claims to be an alien.

Yashiro is a bizarre freak of nature who defies all understandings of physics and biology. Simply by getting inside Shimamura's bag, she has transformed it into a sort of bag of holding, from which she can easily retrieve any object asked for and store any object given. She probably literally swims around in the space inside. It's like a Tardis in there right now, is my point.

and you CAN'T just hide the angles of her body!! jesus christ lol. it REALLY pulled you out of the amazing mood of that last chapter. really disappointed that was put in there.

I vaguely remember reading some cultural commentary when I was first getting into anime, which suggested that because of the sort of open, malleable structure of the classical shinto religion, and the way the country was rebuilt after WWII and incorporated bits and bobs of western culture alongside Japanese traditionalism, Japanese people don't really have any problem blending seemingly disparate elements into a larger whole. Modern and ancient, Grounded and fantastical, realistic and cartoonish, there's no sense of dissonance in that culture. Or maybe even the dissonance is literally part of the culture. This is why so many anime have this weird, fundamentally distinct combination of sex appeal, existential angst, slapstick humor, visceral tragedy, etc.

It's part of what makes anime and manga (along with japanese video games) so distinct, and it means, basically, if you're gonna keep enjoying this stuff, sometimes you have to just be aware that occasionally your cute grounded slice of life coming of age lesbian romcom is going to have weird aliens that can hide in luggage without being noticed.

last edited at Sep 2, 2020 12:55PM

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

A wild childhood male friend appeared. He used misunderstanding. It's super effective!

For fuck's sake, man.... Also what's with Kuro? I don't quite get her mind set...

She wants Fujishiro to be off the market so she doesn't have to confront her own feelings, probably.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Yeah this introducing a male character to move the plot is kinda dumb. Hoping he becomes like YagaKimi's Maki instead.

Given how quickly this series dealt with most other drama, this is what I'm expecting (and hoping for).

Honestly given the structure of the story and the scene, I think it's likely his entire purpose in the story is to trigger a misunderstanding by having Fujishiro see them talking and conclude that Kurokawa lied and went on a date with a boy.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Ha ha ha ha what

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Is Mikanuji trying to pass off OoT as a multiplayer FPS? This is an outrage! Time to drop an otherwise enjoyable manga I've been following since the beginning! Harumph!

Streamers sometimes play more than one game. ;p