Forum › Posts by Heavensrun

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

The Mayoi image needs a Kaoru reaction shot.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Are you for real? Nurse knew a minor student since the beginning of high school and “waited” for her until she was an “adult". Please don't call that sht professionalism, the system education really failed you.

Waiting until someone is an adult is not grooming. Grooming is approaching and doing various activities that only an adult knows how to do well to increase the minor's attraction toward you. It's in the name. They're "grooming" them to be in love with them. The nurse explicitly tried to avoid doing that.

Yeah, grooming involves intent, or at least some manner of negligence that involves leading the minor on. I can't remember their every interaction, so I can't recall if she ever let slip that she planned to cave after graduation. I know we knew it, but I don't recall if she ever let on to Mizuki that it was in the cards. The actual appropriate thing to do is to shut it down hard and write it off in your own mind, though, and she clearly never did that. So while I wouldn't call it "grooming", it was at least inappropriate.

But, again, a thing happening in a story does not mean that it is depicting that thing as a positive example for adults to follow, and "My hot teacher is actually into me" is a very reasonable sort of fantasy wish fulfillment for the teens this manga is actually written for.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I...Did Evie literally just forget that she went back in time to find a way to stop the monster invasion?

Like, maybe she got what she needed somehow without realizing it, but SHE wouldn't know that, right? Shouldn't she be panicked right now because she hasn't made any progress on the thing she literally went back in time to stop? Am I missing something?

The curse now resides in Elsa, not Evie. I guess it's good-bye, System Administrator. I guess that's gonna massively change things.

Except as others have pointed out, this is closing the loop, the curse always resided in Elsa. If the system administrator is related to the curse, it was always tied to Elsa and Evie was just being coerced by it.

But even if that was the case, Evie doesn't have any reason to think any of that relates to the problem with the random swarm of undefeatable monsters that are threatening to gobble up all the children at Elsa's orphanage. Maybe the next episode shows her thought process and she's actually figured something out that she's not saying or "thinking out loud", but right now it just seems like she forgot about the monsters. ;p Maybe somebody that's read the novels can enlighten us on if this is covered there?

Also this arc started in February 2023. It's been over a year in the making.

What point is this trying to make? Are you saying that like "It's been a year, I'm sure they have it figured out" or "It's been a year, surely we can ignore them forgetting a critical plot point."

Because if it's the former, you'd hope so but experience tells me not necessarily, and if it's the latter, absolutely not.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I...Did Evie literally just forget that she went back in time to find a way to stop the monster invasion?

Like, maybe she got what she needed somehow without realizing it, but SHE wouldn't know that, right? Shouldn't she be panicked right now because she hasn't made any progress on the thing she literally went back in time to stop? Am I missing something?

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I'm not sure why Mei pushed Karin away so much this chapter. She hasn't come across as particularly uncomfortable with physical acts, more overly excited by them and eager to go with the flow? Trying to fit it in the context it would imply she's at some point become uncomfortable with Karin specifically, and yet she told her she loves her and made those promises of support and oral. It's hard to tell what Mei is thinking here.

It's cute that you think Mei thinks. ;p

But seriously, Mei is a huge bundle of hormones who has no idea what she wants, but she knows she doesn't want a girlfriend that kisses other people. Karin, in very rapid succession, was caught making out with another girl, dragged Mei to a love hotel, made out with her, said she wants to kiss other people, but offered to hold off for Mei, exposed some serious emotional vulnerability, then tried to suck on her tits.

Like, that's a huge mess! It's not hard to see why Mei is having a difficult time figuring out where her own feelings lie in the face of all that, I think most people would have some serious emotional whiplash at that point.

last edited at Mar 9, 2024 11:00AM

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I'll honestly read anything Yodokawa makes, but this chapter (11) felt like the first interesting one. Some pretty solid subtext... First time visiting her apartment, and they're already getting into domestic bickering like they've been dating for a few months.. <3
And the powerful gap moe of a dependable and diligent senior that is secretly a bit of a slob at home... Getting to stay over at her apartment in exchange for helping her with housework is such a good trope. Hopefully there'll be more of this and less about the high end clothing industry.

I actually find the whole series kind of weirdly nostalgic. My parents ran a fashion clothing store when I was a kid, so I spent a lot of time scampering around the back rooms while employees were doing all this stuff. But it is nice to have the author actually spend some time exploring the chemistry between the two leads.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I love that Matsuri's big origin story is "I saw it, and I liked it."

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I love the bit where she asks Xiaoen "Are you going to stay the night there?" And she's like:

Whaaat? No! I am a pure and innocent maiden! (hangs up and drops the veneer) I mean she's been throwing up, I don't wanna kiss that right now.

last edited at Mar 5, 2024 2:21PM

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I cant believe this place is more moderate in discussions about the various yuri elements in this manga than fucking mangadex. No grooming accusations, no love-shaming Riri accusing her of being a easy woman, no general shallow understanding resembling ironic yuriweebs. What happened? Did you guys lose all the twitter retards to that place?

I'll save my righteous anger for a situation that was actually real and not fiction. This is also pretty tame as far as those types of things go in manga (I mean this isn't even illegal).

I do wish we got more time with the main couple. They don't even appear in most of these chapters now.

Yeah, I mean....Teachers shouldn't date their students. Teachers shouldn't even think about dating their students. If you can't control yourself and set those boundaries, you shouldn't be a teacher.

But students have crushes on teachers all the time, and it's a natural thing to entertain fantasies where that works out, so fiction is always going to involve relationships that wouldn't be okay in the real world. It's fine. The existence of a story is not promotion of a behavior, unless the story gets, like, really anvilicious about it.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

It's just harder for me to believe that Tianli would deliberately do such a terrible thing to Xiangyuan if she was in love with her, and hadn't even been explicitly rejected, and then stayed friends with the bullies that helped drive her love away. She definitely had some sort of monopolizing desire for Xiangyuan but it was one where she fully thought the ship has already sailed. This makes the study abroad scholarship especially seem like a very important motivator imo.

She might not have even been thinking about it as outing her, she might have been thinking of it as trying to chase Wang away from her. But even if that's not the case, when somebody is hurt, they lash out, and sometimes in the moment children (and I mean, that's the thing, they were children) don't understand the consequences of what they're doing.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Indeed KT would just as soon shoot himself in the foot rather than bring major change to the status quo. Think about how long it's been since Ayano and Miyoshi first kissed on the mouth. They're still doing it, and it's still friends being friendly. Now other characters jump on the bandwagon and have friendly kisses on the mouth with their friends. Context remains the same, and VE goes on.

Not saying things don't move slowly, but I'll reiterate what I said before, if you think nothing ever happens in this manga, all you have to do is click on almost any of the pairing tags on that huge list at the top of this chapter and go back to how they started. Mihoshi and Ayano are the useless lesbian outliers here, but there's still some progress. As for the others, Ai and Chie straight up dovetailed into a make-out session after their electric kiss, Mayoi and Ayano are in a VERY different place now, Nononon's crush is definitely not as unrequited as it used to be, And Miyu and Shizuka are DEFINITELY about to fuck again. And some of the other pairings weren't even pairings all that long ago.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I wouldn't call it text, there's some stuff we can interpret as potentially a romantic interest, but it could also be wanting to keep the attention of the cool popular girl who used to be very close to her and has left her behind. And those types of motivations can't explain all the elements in the chapter, like Xingyuan pulling ahead of her in the competition to get the study abroad scholarship Tianli's family was pushing her to get, and Wang, the guy she introduced to us as her crush, wanting Xiangyuan's contact info. She doesn't seem interested in him anymore, but that certainly doesn't mean she can't feel bitter about the thought of her best friend succeeding in yet another area where Tianli did not. And when she remembers Xiangyuan talking about not liking every girl, the image is not from that scene but rather Xiangyuan being popular with girls at school.

She specifically flashes back to Xingyuan saying "Just because I like girls doesn't mean I like every girl I come across." Right before she types a text to her saying "Why don't you care about me?" before hesitating and deleting it. Then she says the line "Why couldn't it be me?"

I mean, that's not just text, it's literally A text. I really don't see that as ambiguous at all. There might be other things going on, but I mean come on, if you're an author, you don't write those events in that sequence unless you're deliberately trying to draw a throughline.

If it weren't for the context I just mentioned, then yeah, maybe "Why couldn't it be me" could be about jealousy, but that context firmly establishes that she has romantic feelings on the brain, that she's upset that TianLi isn't regarding her as special, and that she's heartbroken.

That is unrequited love. I am very confident about this.

last edited at Feb 27, 2024 6:35AM

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Wait so if Nononon ans Yumimi kissed and there was no spark, that makes it a real kiss right?
RIGHT!?!?
(ง ื▿ ื)ว

I think the implication is that Nononon chickened out at the last moment and pulled back right before their lips would have touched.

Huh, interesting, I wouldn't have thought to read it that way, but it is plausible now that I look back at it.

The "kiss" sound effect seems to imply contact, but the dialogue does make more sense if Nononon pulled away.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

How is this YuruYuri? Yes there are some elements of the relationships being used for comedy but YuruYuri as far as the anime went just had the gay element only for the sake of comedy and beating around the bush. This series has actual couples and even sex. There might be some pairings that excused the kiss as part of the trend, but there are very clearly canon couples here that have been progressing forward.

I think the short chapters are skewing their perception of the rest of the series. The chapters with development still come with regularity, but there's a lot of little gags and snippets that have been thrown in the mix that give the feeling that there's a lot more silly fluff than there used to be. Especially since the translators did a big catch-up on those at one point, so there were a lot of content dumps of short chapters for awhile.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

The old cliché about gay men being promiscuous and unfaithful is alive and well, I see.

. . . That isn't how I read that at all.

It sounds to me like Henry is an ex. Ed was about to bring up the story with Ian, which would have been very bad mojo. Confusing stories of your ex with stories of your current relationship rarely ends up as a positive experience.

Also, the one who wrote that this manga has turned into YuruYuri in high school was right. I bet next chapter everything is back to the status quo and nobody remembers all these kisses.

Man, you're just fun times all over, huh?

Not every kiss and every bit of development is a big earth-shattering event, but the point of this story is to show us bits of the relationships between the girls. It's a snapshot of where they're all at at this point in time. Catching us up, as it were. The rest of the chapters have all the development.

Christ, all you have to do is pick literally any one of those tags at the top and hop back to the first thing with that tag to see how much development all of these couples have had over the years. There is a whole lot.

(Edit: Well, ALMOST any one of those tags. Airi and Michiru has been spinning their wheels in the mud since day one, and MahiMahi are practically immune to the entire concept of character development.)

last edited at Feb 26, 2024 6:43PM

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

And still loving MayoKao. It feels like the Vamp has settled down a bit, and Mask has really learned how to handle her.

He's really selling Kaoru's face-turn, and as a former Kaoru disliker, I am here for it.

Y'know, at the time, I thought Mask's dere turn felt too abrupt, but after going back and reading the whole thing, it's better than I remembered it being.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Yeah, as many people is saying I too felt like this chapter was kind of a deus ex machina device, I don't know how to solve the tension or don't want to step on the definitive line (yeap, this or that character is a lesbian) so I make them kiss as a joke to keep my readers happy and not bother the higher-ups. I know Kishi is a yuri author but this isn't serialized in a yuri magazine, hence, there's some stuff you can't show entirely so, welp.

Look, not every cutaway or offscreen tease is a result of censorship. Sometimes authors choose not to show something because they think it has better impact that way, or because they want to focus on the reaction, or some other aspect of the storytelling.

In this case, the comic literally shows two kisses right at the beginning, they're clearly allowed to show kisses. Kishi chose not to show most of the kisses because they're not relationship milestones. The kiss itself isn't meaningful, but the moment after the kiss says something about where everybody is.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Um what?? Did we just get confirmation of romantic kisses (not as a joke) from multiple duos that weren't "there" yet? Especially Nononon/Yumimi and Haruka/Kanae, we've been getting extremely slow but steady progress between those two pairings...Why am I even complaining when I've been waiting so long for those two couples to properly hook up lol

I mean, a lot of them would probably rationalize that they did it because of the talk about electric kisses going around, so it kind of is "as a joke". Yumimi specifically seems to have been specifically trying out the "electric" part, and is...disappointed? that it didn't work. (of course it also looks like she didn't tell Nononon about it in advance, so from her perspective she just got kissed out of nowhere by her crush. Full gay panic mode)

Also I'm pretty sure Haruka and Kanae have been there for awhile. Some of their development has been kinda subtextual, but they honestly seem like one of the most explicitly romantic pairings in the comic. I wonder how many of these are people "trying out the rumor" and how many are accidents that just happened. Obviously Ayano and Miyoshi discover it first, and Miyoshi probably told everybody.

Amusingly, I think my favorite story here is Ed dodging the bullet of almost mixing up his current beau with his ex. The anxiety is real.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Damn so Tianli deliberately outed her out of spite, yeesh. "She did better than me in school and the guy I liked wanted her contact info" is a pretty goddamn petty reason to betray a supposed best friend, yeah no shit Xingyuan isn't comfortable around her. I'm not sure how one even begins to make amends for doing that kind of evil on purpose, but Tianli barely even seems to have started beyond just putting herself in front of Xingyuan and hoping it just works somehow?? Just about the only hope for her I can imagine is one where she's still being dishonest: that text to Wang was phrased somewhat ambiguous and Xianyuan might not know it was an intentional act of spite. That would make Tianli an even worse person than how she appears after this chapter, though.
This context also highlights the importance of Xingyuan's relationship to Xiaoen, someone who's very open and uninhibited and an established adult who has basically no reason to ever be jealous of her. Xiaoen probably makes Xingyuan feel safe with all those character traits the other people around them criticize her for.

You've missed some subtext, and maybe some text there. I'm absolutely sure Tianli liked Xingyuan, not Wang. That "Why couldn't it be me" isn't about the guy, it's about her. She's sitting there thinking about how Xingyuan explicitly told her she wasn't interested in her romantically, and literally almost texted her "Why don't you care about me?" The girl has it bad, and not only is Xingyuan saying she isn't interested, she's becoming steadily more distant and distracted.

Xingyuan's getting more popular as she gets more successful, and it's distracting her from Tianli, who she takes for granted. Meanwhile Tianli is realizing that she likes Xingyuan and is hurt that she's becoming more distant while also taking opportunities away from her. All of that pain and jealousy and unrequited love overflowed until she did something she regretted.

Not saying it makes her okay, but it's not the kind of jealous spite you seem to think it is.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I'm also shipping Tianlii and Yunduo

Not me. I get why, Yunduo's pain is super relatable and I'd love to see her happy, but there just isn't anything there at this stage, and I'm not a fan of "pair the spares."

Oh, yes, I see now. When you say "pair the spare" it really sounds just...pitiful.
At least at this point of the story it would be as you say.
But this is slow burn romance, and I don't think appearance of Tianli serves only to resolve history between Xingyuan and her.
Indeed, I see her as potential partner of Yunduo (observe "the hint", Yunduo came to pick up Xiaoen, but Xingyuan refused to let her go. And Tianli is the one sitting in the car with Yunduo).

If Tianli and Yunduo have some future, it should develop slowly, not as "pair the spare" (at this moment, as you noticed).
If I get the story right, Tianli is here now because of business related thing? (please correct me if I got it wrong)
If I'm right, there's possibility that she will become regular citizen of Peachtown, and true future partner-prospect for Yunduo.
Maybe my shipping came too early at this point of the story, but I hope my explanation answers why (and I did not have in mind "pair the spare")

Yeah, I'm open to the idea that they could develop Tianli/Yunduo in a natural way if the story has enough time to do it. It's a common trope in fandoms to pair up characters in stories that are unattached, since they're already characters that the readers are interested in. I've seen stories that did that well, but I've also seen stories where characters that aren't really compatible are kinda shoehorned into an awkward pairing because they're "the ones that are left over."

(Sidelong glance at the Ranma fandom)

I don't think this author would do that carelessly, though. They seem like they've got a pretty deft touch.

last edited at Feb 12, 2024 2:35PM

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Some preforeshadowing
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_dear_lass_ch08#5
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_dear_lass_ch31#3

Thanks for this, I'd forgotten some of the details. Man I despise her dad. Such a despicable piece of shit. I hate parents like this.

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I'm also shipping Tianlii and Yunduo

Not me. I get why, Yunduo's pain is super relatable and I'd love to see her happy, but there just isn't anything there at this stage, and I'm not a fan of "pair the spares."

Heavensrun
Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Well, nothing bad so far in their past, but something must have happened to cause this rift between them. Maybe Tianli's crush fell for Xingyuan instead?

From the way she's acting in the flashback and in the present, I'd say odds are greater that Tianli fell for Xingyuan. She might out her, for some reason or another, or by accident, perhaps, but all we actually know is that she said she thinks being gay is gross. It could be something as simple as "the subject came up, Tianli said something terrible to fit in, Xingyuan overheard it (or was even caught in the conversation) and was hurt by it." Time will tell, there's a lot of possible directions this could take.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Also what the hell Aya, how can you be a fan of all those western artists yet not understand English well enough to figure out the lyrics to Mitsuki's song were wedding wovs?

Well, she understood enough to propose to Mitsuki immediately thereafter, if only inside her head.

When I was a teenager, I memorized dozens of japanese songs and barely understood a word of them.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

From the pov of manga ethics, Nanao has wronged Asumi real bad by not telling Asumi her feelings.

This is something I have seen in a zillion mangas. It's always an important plot point. Eg in the After School series (that I have been rereading because a new chapter just came out) Shiine and Ichika are "kiss friends" who meet every day after school to kiss and kiss; but Shiine is secretly in love with Ichika and doesn't tell her. When she finally admits it, she bows and apologizes a hundred times, calls herself a wretch and a scumbag, says she knows she has betrayed Ichika's trust by kissing her while hiding her real feelings, runs away crying and vows never to appear in front of Ichika again. Then Ichika must go looking for her to tell Shiine she loves her too, happy end.

I'm bringing this up because it seems a lot of posters here don't realize something that for Japanese readers is pretty obvious: that Nanao is kinda playing the role of the bad guy rn as she's tricking Asumi and wronging her (again, from a manga pov) by telling her she just wants friendly sex when in reality she wants much more.

I....*What?*

Nanao DID tell Asumi her feelings. She confessed. Explicitly. Then asked her out on a date, gave her a necklace, kissed her, took her to a hotel, had sex with her while telling her she loved her.

Asumi is perfectly aware off Nanao's feelings. For her to not be, it would require her to A) not understand Japanese, and B) collapse into a singularity from the overwhelming density required for her to not pick up on the blatant non-verbal cues.