Forum › Posts by Altair

Altair Uploader
Liberty discussion 22 Feb 13:14
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Is this on hiatus?

There's a reason I translate a chapter every 3 months: it's because it comes out every 3 months. The next issue of Galette will come out later this month.

Major annoyance beyond anything anything else is it's quarterly updates

My friend, you are in luck. Unlike those big, yuri hime-shaped magazines where you need bigger publisher dollars to get more issues, Galette is an independently run magazine! "How does that make me lucky, that means Galette will never get those big publisher dollars by getting bought out by Kodansha," you say. "We'll never get Liberty to go from quarterly to bimonthly to monthly like Citrus," you also say. Well let me tell you dear reader, this magazine is supported directly by the readers and so you, personally, can make a difference in the frequency of your favorite series by donating to or supporting Galette on fanbox or fantia. Share their tweets amd comment on your love of Liberty to encourage more pages, it will only take a few people.

Just do not, under any circumstance, link the English version

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

I know people tend to get attached to the fan-translated titles that they originally got used to but it's becoming awkward seeing this series still listed as "I Favor the Villainess" when even the Japanese covers say, in English, "I'm in Love with the Villainess."

You're falling into the trap of assuming that the English text on manga covers is (a) a translation of the Japanese title, and (b) accurate. Having said that, I'd go with "The Villainess Is My Favourite" myself.

I didn't assume either. Localized titles aren't always direct translations, it's not at all uncommon. In fact, when a fan-translated title differs from an official localization, I assume the fan one to be more literal or "accurate." But that doesn't matter; what matters is the title the book is being sold as, and in this case, it's not "I Favor the Villainess" no matter what country you live in.

At least for the English versions, it's pretty useful to separate the sanctioned fan translation web novel from the commercially produced light novel or the coming commercially produced manga.

last edited at Feb 18, 2021 12:50PM

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Creating chapters for this story is not the decision of the manga artist itself.

There are many, many authors published in the same magazine navigating the same circumstances who do not have these problems

last edited at Feb 16, 2021 11:46AM

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Guys they're obviously joking

We're really not.

Here, see for yourself: https://jingletranslations.wordpress.com/2020/12/01/i-favor-the-villainess-231/
The above has massive spoilers, DO NOT READ IT UNLESS YOU'RE REALLY SURE YOU WANT TO. It will spoil most of the plot up to that point. And a decent amount was planned out from the beginning. Those chapters will likely be toward the end of book 3 or the beginning of book 4. And don't forget to pick up book 3 in English this July!!

For the record, Rei also isn't joking at the end of chapter 6, if that's what you were referring to

last edited at Feb 9, 2021 1:05PM

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

It's no joke. It's quite the Xenogears sort of story

Doesn't that mean the entire point of this series is pretty much secondary to the world instead?

The romance is as relevant as it has always been. Which is to say, equal or secondary to the Revolution/politics plots. Politics hinges on the romance and vice versa throughout

For the record, the quality of writing has always been at fanfic level, it's just been a very popular series. The pacing is wild, conflict resolves as a matter of fact or because Rei is just Rei, everything always always works out so the stakes aren't really there, there are no literary devices or figurative language at all, conflict resolution is rarely something the reader can piece together beforehand and instead solved by things only the characters know, not foreshadowing much at all, etc.

And yet damn is it a fun read

last edited at Feb 9, 2021 12:59PM

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

But what are Fujishiro's old friends going to do? Since the last arc wrapped up, I have to assume they're going to be totally understanding and supportive using this as an opportunity to make up with her.

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Ajisai-san did also join the harem in the LN, didn't she?

Wait, there's a light novel for this series? I was under the impression it was manga only.

You are advised to read the series description for more details

Altair Uploader
A Cute Guy discussion 28 Jan 00:25
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Does anything by Tatsubon not have some character who's at least a little bit hard boiled?

No. It's the law. Porkpie hats, coats, and crackin' jokes about dames will be in the next story. The world needs more hard-boiled yuri

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

All in all, it suffers from the exact same problem that every other story in this anthology has- a desire to stuff a complex narrative into forty pages by prioritizing generic otome political babble over any actual emotional depth. This doesn't feel like an anthology of tales so much as a compilation of recap episodes for series that never actually existed.

This is so spot on. Every story was packed with exposition connecting scattered events rather than cohesive narratives. It was fun, but i felt like there was a library of otome tropes going right over my head

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Patiently waiting for when the real anthology drops featuring jello shots, beer bongs, beer pong, jungle juice served out of trash cans, case chases, keg stands, shotgunning over a bathtub, sneaking flasks into sporting events... You know, normal and relatable drinking stories.

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Now that is how those old single-player RPGs are best played. And maybe with a printed out ascii guide on the side

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Does the next chapter get the manly, Christmas, guns and explosions, and action tags?! Please please please let them be justified

last edited at Jan 24, 2021 9:04PM

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

(Don’t get me wrong—I love this story and think the characters are adorable. But the attempt to fit the values of this storyworld into a version of the historical time period leads to some very weird disjunctions.)

In the end it is just a setting for the story to happen in. A very modified setting that resembles our modern world values more then any 100 years old ones.

Well, of course. But given the givens, there’s always going to be a major case of Hogan’s Heroes Syndrome sending out values interference around the edges.

I take back the Spanish inquisition inquisitors suggestion and replace it entirely with Hogan's Heroes' Nazis

But what ARE we supposed to make of the storyworld? Combat and deployment don't seem relevant other than they're other places where romance can be found. There's a kind of pride in being a proper soldier. There's a relatively stricter hierarchy than non-military girls schools, but it's still tame. Basically, I don't feel like I'm being invited to consider or judge any of the military aspects of the story. I guess what I'm asking is, what is the setting doing for themes or story? It has to be more than just a vehicle for the plot

Edit: looks like you answered some of it above

last edited at Jan 24, 2021 5:09PM

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

"i'm gonna be that cat's wife"

Do people really say that????

Making a guess here, but it was probably Nora she saw then in humanoid form

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

"It is your job to figure out what lies behind an order..."

Ah so that is why Japan lost the war.

They won WWI

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Retypeset the broken english you cowards

Never! It's supposed to be off-putting to read. Take it up with the author, we are merely recreating the experience

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

—A series set on an all-girl Devils Island, where the worst punishment is that malefactors don’t get their choice of flavors for their milkshakes.

I imagine the characters fulfilling the punishments are basically the Spanish inquisition inquisitors

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

suwa and moriya huh? is that a reference to the mythological conflict between suwa myojin and the god moriya or something like that?

Or is this another one of them Touhou artists...?

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Nue could kill a 2hu with that trick. Very dangerous.

I think we need some Kyouko as this is fine dog, though

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

I love how this manga spits in the face of yuri being ‘the purest form of love’ it’s refreshing to see something besides all rainbows and fluff in yuri. I love effed up relationships like this that are beyond redemption.

The pure yuri hegemony died a decade ago with comic Hirari

Altair Uploader
Image Comments 18 Jan 18:43
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016
86219510_p0

Long live saku saku tei!

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

So the serialized version just needs a typesetter

Altair Uploader
Ham discussion 11 Jan 00:49
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

I feel like there was a release that was hamming it up a few years back at a Brian Blessed level of ham. And Nez was there.

Edit: AND I QC'D IT.

See all works by https://dynasty-scans.com/authors/hattori_masahiko

W-what?

All of that author's characters are giant hams

Altair Uploader
Image Comments 06 Jan 09:04
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016
Eqlibtsuyair3v4-orig

43 members, but how many voice actresses?

Altair Uploader
Lit a Light discussion 05 Jan 20:50
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

I demand more! I require more!
Why is there not more 80s action movie yuri that isn't a shitpost?!

if only some saint like the creator of Mage and Demon Queen could bring us something like that. Something like...

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/drift