Forum › Posts by Aniale

Aniale
Liberty discussion 26 Aug 12:42
11av3
joined May 28, 2018

When this story started, I thought that premise is fine and Momono Moto’s art is always likable for me. But as story progressed, it’s like writer is really bad at decisions about and characters, and overall plot. I expected, that this chapter, at last, will be about confrontation, Maki and her “That it, I’m out. Bye, bitches!” course of action, but no she again suck-up and continue on. And what the point? Is it exploring something? No. This is just pathetic drama for the sake of drama. Oh, well, maybe next work will be improvement.

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

Eh, better than I expected after first couple of chapters. I kind of liked that it ended on a time skip. I dunno about character design choices, personally I didn’t like some of it much, but overall art is very pleasant. I especially liked usage of this sparkly effect in frames. Nice composition too. Art is strongest suit of this story and I will be really interested in what artist do in their next work.

last edited at Aug 17, 2020 11:01AM

Aniale
Lily Marble discussion 09 Jul 09:30
11av3
joined May 28, 2018

I'm talking about this specific story here, not about every single manga. The story was already about escapism by making all of them have some gay feelings. Even the new manager was gay.

Sorry about that, I’ve come to wrong conclusion when read your sentence about fantasy and escapism in story. For me this story leans more towards realism. Yes, it is comedy, but not fluffy escapism fantasy and there was already het marriage.

last edited at Jul 9, 2020 9:30AM

Aniale
Lily Marble discussion 09 Jul 07:31
11av3
joined May 28, 2018

That's the whole point of fantasy and stories, it's about escapism,

Not always

not smacking reality into the reader's face.

Yes, there are stories doing particular that. Especially with angst tag

I’m not so much bothered by het and “reality smacks”, but “several years later” after cliffhanger smells like axed. Well, at least my favorite pair, Aya x Risa, get together.

last edited at Jul 9, 2020 7:31AM

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

For me personally this comedy premise stopped working in second chapter and then there was only flat comedy and joke-characters. This premise can be pulled off and author tried to do so by introducing context of sheltered girl with overbearing parents, but it fell flat rather quick because they wanted only do a surface level jokes about it. So, again, for me, with kind of thinking from the author, this story needed to be rather short for not to be repetitive and annoying. Ha-ha, couple of dumb jokes about misunderstanding and the end. But no. Maybe I just disappointed that this very nice art spent on this kind of writing.

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

This should be a 4th chapter. Because plot and new character interactions were nonexistent in more than half chapters, I just skimmed over them for art appreciation, which is shame.

Oh, and this girl, I forgot her name, feminine one in pair, is dumb for the sake of joke. It is kinda sad too.

last edited at Jul 7, 2020 2:11AM

Aniale
11av3
joined May 28, 2018

Was really happy when they confirm their feelings for each other and I considered this as very nice office romance. But I didn’t expect that after that point there will be so much sweet stuff. So good and truly wholesome. And credit pages are gold!

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

Form what I see Aniale, you have issue with intentional choices made by the creators to set up themes later in the story.

We don't actually know how those choices will play out in the manga, but it's too early to call them lazy considering how heavily they figure into the story thematically. The connection with Japanese society in the web novel seems intentional so that the author can connect the story in a relevant way to modern LGBT issues. Though this is the same reasoning Rei gives for why the devs built the world out as such, so that these cultural anachronisms of the current issues trans people face, modern concepts of homosexuality, and the like can still be tackled. The modernish setting would help add to that suspension of disbelief and make these issues possible/connected to the story without the trappings of a fantasy setting.

Honestly, I heard some positive reception of a novel beforehand and was mildly excited to try this out. Yuri and isekai – I am for it. And, okay, I believe that it was deliberate decision, but it didn’t read that way. Because all 1'st chapter was really rushed into: look some characters! Not a second was spent on main character and her perception of new reality, except for: yeah, I’m freakishly in love with this bully-girl. So, it is not surprising that I was disappointed and saw this, like in many others before, as lack of interest in world building. For some this doesn’t matter, and okay, but I wanted something more solid.

Thank you for clearing this up. I have more than one issue with this chapter, but maybe, with more chapters story and world will grow on me.

last edited at Jun 19, 2020 2:33PM

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I actually think it's extremely shallow to think you can take one passing glimpse of a story and immediately understand how complex or well-realised its worldbuilding is, especially when you're so quick to dismiss the few deliberate and revealing design choices that are already on display as lazy shortcuts.

It's a story primarily about its characters, why they make the choices they make, and how their ability to imagine better possibilities for themselves is shaped by the world they live in. It's about the fact that seemingly shallow people are often made that way by their circumstances, and they often have a lot more going on under the surface that you might not see on first glance. The worldbuilding plays a major role in that, but it's not as immediately important as introducing you to the characters and relationships around which the entire story revolves. It's not a bad thing for an author to have different priorities than you.

Sorry, but you were not, because of what you have written below.
The thing is: I can have my opinion based on my experience. This thing with “not-a-shortcut” is prevalent in isekai genre as an excuse to do same generic fantasy worlds over and over and I am personally tired of it. They all the same. I want something else and free to complain about it, lol. And I was hearing this excuse not to do something more thought-out so much in recent Bakarina: but this is an otome game, it’s meant to be that way. And, yeah, 1 chapter is enough to express an opinion about it. If you think otherwise – feel free to not doing it. And author can do whatever they want. Obviously.

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

What is so amazing. lol. I love-love art and design, so one full chapter talks volumes about it and about world building. Because manga is not a book, it have concrete visual design, which is fundamental language in this media.

It's constrained by the original text, though. And the original text says that while the world of Revolution has surprisingly nuanced and realistic politics, a lot of minor things were copypasted from modern Japan for the audience's sake. It being a game world is actually fairly important to the plot

So, now it’s some meta joke about how authors think that their audience is kinda not very smart, lol. Seriously though, if you like this generic design because plot – I am happy for you. Some other time I will be happy too with interesting fantasy setting and yuri. I just wanted to point out that I was disappointed not because of historical accuracy and that design is essential and informative even in 1 chapter.

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

I am not talking about historical accuracy, lol. Where you read it? But solid and interesting fantasy design requires some hard work, and this mangaka and many more authors excuse themself from it using “this is shitty otome game, what do you expect” This is existing level of lazy isakai’s. And this is sad, for me.

I'm amazed you can discern the breadth and depth of a story's worldbuilding based on a single chapter focused on introducing the characters, the premise, and nothing else.

What is so amazing. lol. I love-love art and design, so one full chapter talks volumes about it and about world building. Because manga is not a book, it have concrete visual design, which is fundamental language in this media.

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

Looks like the worse version of "The Real Her". I especially dislike that fantasy academy again looks like same old Japanese school. Mangaka was lazy enough to draw literal Japanese uniform for sport. This is just sad. It could be better.

It's not lazyness, it's a worldbuilding detail. The game was made by Japanese devs who wanted the setting to feel European but not alienate their audience.

This is actually something the webnovel points out a fair number of times - the in-universe game setting is not historically accurate, and a lot of the modern anachronisms are in fact on purpose to appeal to their Japanese fanbase.

I guess you could make the argument that the author was lazy for using that as a reason to not describe historically accurate clothing and schools and the like in the original web novel, but those sorts of anachronisms happen all the time in real-life Japanese visual novels/anime/manga anways.

I am not talking about historical accuracy, lol. Where you read it? But solid and interesting fantasy design requires some hard work, and this mangaka and many more authors excuse themself from it using “this is shitty otome game, what do you expect” This is existing level of lazy isakai’s. And this is sad, for me.

last edited at Jun 19, 2020 4:47AM

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

Looks like the worse version of "The Real Her". I especially dislike that fantasy academy again looks like same old Japanese school. Mangaka was lazy enough to draw literal Japanese uniform for sport. This is just sad. It could be better.

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

Obviously. I didn't mind standard stories when there at least something refreshing, at least couple of dialogues or character traits. And this for me so bland that it’s irate me. I tried to view this at another angle, but I can’t feel otherwise. I liked all about art, so I don’t regret trying. I was surprised that it is not the end, though. Semi-curious now.

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

Cheery girl, aloof girl, close friendzoned friend needed only to force some progress between main couple, lame love triangle, some adviser senpai. Generic story that can't have bad end. Reminded me "Rainy song" one-shot, which I liked more. Art, though, is still exciting.

last edited at May 21, 2020 1:48PM

Aniale
11av3
joined May 28, 2018

Gosh, I like Izumi, but this basic love triangle subplots should drop dead. I wasn't laughing, but through all chapter I recalled how pleasant it was reading Girl friends.

this series reuse a lot of tropes from Girl Friends?

Yeah, I have this feeling obviously too, lol.

last edited at Mar 20, 2020 7:28AM

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

Again, laughed at this level of writing. Man, people in manga are some pro paparazzi, I need ages to photo something with my phone.

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

16 chapters? Now I intrigued. There must be some time for impressive growing. At first I thought this will be quite short.

I kinda amazed that someone denied that this ass-fiance is abuser. Yeah, he is not a husband yet, my bad. From the first moment we see him, he is is full of shit and intentionally, with happy smirk, belittling Midori. And now he hits her, what was totally expected from this author. He has an okay backstory, at least it’s realistic. And being sometimes realistic is what this manga can do good. In my opinion.

last edited at Feb 25, 2020 6:06AM

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

I don’t know, maybe as a concept it’s not bad, kind of tired in places, but if writing is good… And writing was shaky until some unbelievably shitty friend comes into picture, and then frames where abusive ass-husband while hugging Midori chatted with and hitting on that friend, at the same time. Some cartoon villain level here. I laughed at this, lol.

last edited at Feb 22, 2020 9:53AM

Aniale
11av3
joined May 28, 2018

Chapter 200 is celebration of the long way. Pure joy.

Aniale
11av3
joined May 28, 2018

Till Shizuka is not completly over, I don't really see it happen.

So, she truly loves Mio, in your version, but there can’t be one-two scenes with sincere feel? Well, we’ll see. I'll be waiting, lol.

Aniale
11av3
joined May 28, 2018

I don't want all the relation to be happy

Well, I didn't say happy all the time, am I? Bits of sincerity is appreciated.

Aniale
11av3
joined May 28, 2018

Will be boring ngl.

Yeah, heh, I can get very obvious symbolism with her cutting hair. Cutting of past, etc. I want then “boring” (not boring for me at least) interaction showing that she loves Mio and not her doing right thing accepting this sweet loving girl just because she was good enough. I just don't want them breakup, what seem more logical for moving at wholesomeness for Shizuka. She needs to be alone for some time to be fair.

I think she just needs some time and to work a bit on herself.

Yes, I agree. Thanks for chapter, as always!

last edited at Feb 18, 2020 8:18AM

Aniale
11av3
joined May 28, 2018

Wow, some really thirsty for blood, lol. These girls are teenagers, even if some of them not right they don’t deserve to suffer. I think all of them can do better because of love and fulfilling relationships. For my least favorite couple, Mio and Shizuka, I just want some sincere feelings from Shizuka, some nice interactions like among Ai and Chie or Mari and Yuu. I want to see that their relationships work because they comfortable, not forced. And Kaoru x Tokino-mask-sempai is just hilarious, give me more.

Aniale
11av3
joined May 28, 2018

Yeah. No. What I see is that she constantly thinking: this girl is sweet and love me and dedicated to me, isn’t it what I wanted? And forces herself despite all. Because of that she kissed Kaoru back then and can’t think about Mio, but only about her time with Kaoru. She promised Mio, yeah, she the good girl, right. She can’t do otherwise. But you feel free to think otherwise, lol.

last edited at Feb 18, 2020 3:45AM