Forum › Their Story discussion

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

I'm thinking this chapter might actually occur the next day. They wear the same uniforms / bags so it's not like clothes would change. And the lady said when school ends is when she's most busy, so that means the time is then. Although, those kids aren't wearing the South High uniform. Nevermind, I have no idea. One possibility is that it is still the same day, and the call is when Qiu Tong first talks to Sun Jing and Sun Jing tells her she got caught up in "business". But whatever.

I love sweet potatoes, this strip makes me hungry.

Also, isn't 斤 half a kilogram? Because 公斤 is kilogram? I'm trying to think of an instance where I heard people use 斤 as a shorthand for 公斤 and can't come up with any.

15_crazy_monkeys
Btkqrnmlrli
joined Jul 21, 2017

WHY
WHY THEY ARE SO CUTE

joined Dec 10, 2017

How old are the characters supposed to be?

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

1-2-3 posted:

How old are the characters supposed to be?

Around 15 to 18 I believe

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Okay, so,

A) PFFT
B) But but Mo what about Mo what happened to my precious babee
C) "It would be wasteful to put them on right away"? It's not like your old glasses have to get worn out. It's a freaking fashion choice. Seize the glasses! Carpe speculum! (wait that means something else)

Kat%202
joined Mar 6, 2012

Shinpachi !? Crushed under a stack of paper :'(

joined May 10, 2015

Poor guy

Untitled2
joined Dec 24, 2013

Oh no, poor guy!

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

RIP Glasses-kun ;_;

joined Feb 18, 2015

Oh no, poor guy!

It's not like he's a very sympathetic character, but... man... that just sucks!

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

As a glasses wearer I am devastated!

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

gore

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Makes no sense anyway. I mean, let's say at some point the series had a genuine erotic scene (as if...), and the publishers would say "we need to cut that out", then that'd still suck, but people could (most likely) say "yeah, fine, doesn't change the plot" ... but without the confession, how can the plot go on? Nothing that'd happen afterwards would make any sense. If they ever ended up together it'd be completely "how the heck did this happen?!"

Ridiculous all around (well, censorship usually is).

What gets me is, if they were going to have a hissy fit about a confession, just what exactly did they think they were publishing in the first place? All questions of "whether it's OK to censor" aside (and it's not like that's only in Communist dictatorships; in North America we've had the Comics Code and some Hollywood rules about what movies were and were not allowed to be about, such as criminals were never allowed to end the movie having gained from their crimes and so on--and that's not even getting into questions of "obscenity") uhm, where was I? Oh yeah, leaving aside whether it's OK to censor, how did these dorks blunder into publishing something that it was totally obvious from the beginning they would have to censor if they censor that kind of thing? Any ten year old would have been able to tell you it was obviously going to have confessions, kisses and so on sometime . . . from pretty much the first couple of chapters. Actually, from before there were any chapters, when it was just some pictures of the two of them looking cute and/or elegant.

So are these publisher guys morons or what?

(OK, I know actually it's probably more a matter of different hands not knowing what each other is doing, so it gets popular and then controversial and the senior executives notice and come along and try to fuck it up and whoever actually approved it in the first place is like "What are these people nuts we've got good sales going here!")

last edited at Feb 2, 2018 12:08PM

80e3d94cc0506fdcdd4caca92582f00c
joined Mar 4, 2014

we are gathered here today to mourn the loss of glasses-kun's new glasses. they had a short run, but let us not think of all that might have been, but all that was. let us look back on the memories with fondness and not smear their legacy with strife and blame.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

C) "It would be wasteful to put them on right away"? It's not like your old glasses have to get worn out. It's a freaking fashion choice. Seize the glasses! Carpe speculum! (wait that means something else)

I know, but that's not him. I can see his position. First, he's thrifty--thrift is a traditional virtue and he wants to own it because he's a traditional guy (quite likely an actual Communist in the old school Mao sense, as opposed to whatever the Chinese are nowadays). So there's this "I should nurse a bit more use out of the old glasses" schtick.

Second, haven't you ever had something really nice, like maybe a grand marnier truffle or something, and instead of just snatching and eating it right away you want to savour the anticipation for a while, look at it and think, "You are mine, I can have you whenever I want, muahahaha!" before actually going for it? The enjoyment of actually eating it will be the same either way, but the anticipation ends the moment you take that bite.

Tattletale is actually an interesting character to me. He really shows off the author's touch as a storyteller. I mean, he's basically a comic relief character--he's the butt of jokes, he's at odds with most of our favourite people, he's to a fair extent defined by his lack of a sense of humour and the stick up his butt. He's a Squidward, except morally self-righteous instead of cynical. Many comedy writers, whether mangaka or webtoon or TV sitcom or whatever, would leave it at that--he'd be this completely one-dimensional person seen in purely hostile or mocking terms. But if you look at Tattletale's bits, this author makes him more than that. There's a sympathy there. In a weird way there's something awkwardly heroic about him--his uncompromising stance, his refusal to be swayed by the things normal people find important. He's steadfast to his ideals and his peculiar vision of how things should be through thick and thin. So you get things like the flag incident. That's more interesting. But also it says something to me about the writer--there's an empathy there and a commitment to real characterization that is part of what takes this a step above a lot of what's out there.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

There used to be (back when most men and women wore hats) a superstition that it was unlucky to put a hat on a bed. There was actually a practical reason for not putting your hat on the bed--it's much more likely that someone will accidentally sit on it than if you put it on a table (or a hatrack).

"Don't put your glasses on your school desk--and certainly don't cover them up with anything" isn't an official saying. But maybe it should be.

last edited at Feb 2, 2018 9:24PM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

There used to be (back when most men and women wore hats) a superstiition that it was unlucky to put a hat on a bed. There was actually a practical reason for not putting your hat on the bed--it's much more likely that someone will accidentally sit on it than if you put it on a table (or a hatrack).

"Don't put your glasses on your school desk--and certainly don't cover them up with anything" isn't an official saying. But maybe it should be.

Also cases are a thing, Tattletale!

joined Mar 25, 2015

There used to be (back when most men and women wore hats) a superstiition that it was unlucky to put a hat on a bed. There was actually a practical reason for not putting your hat on the bed--it's much more likely that someone will accidentally sit on it than if you put it on a table (or a hatrack).

Also cases are a thing, Tattletale!

Actually I'm surprised he didn't have a case.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

What gets me is, if they were going to have a hissy fit about a confession, just what exactly did they think they were publishing in the first place?

I wonder if it's a case of publishers being sensitive to government regulation - or fear of what may soon be government regulations - and trying to mitigate risk in that sense. Given that recently we've seen a crackdown on suggestive character designs in online games, they may be a bit gunshy about stuff like this.

The chilling effect goes well beyond the actual limits of government interference, and companies will often self-censor even further than the actual censorship is designed to cover, just in case.

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

I know some people don't care for it but I don't find myself minding side character stories unless it gets excessive. Only two stories I've read that went on to have so many side character stories(imho) that I started to get annoyed with them. Namely Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto. Still did like both stories in the end though.

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

https://i.redd.it/afd29f2j4oa01.png

Whoa really? That's gotta be hard to deal with...

well. That's frustrating.

joined Mar 21, 2017

What gets me is, if they were going to have a hissy fit about a confession, just what exactly did they think they were publishing in the first place?

I wonder if it's a case of publishers being sensitive to government regulation - or fear of what may soon be government regulations - and trying to mitigate risk in that sense. Given that recently we've seen a crackdown on suggestive character designs in online games, they may be a bit gunshy about stuff like this.

The chilling effect goes well beyond the actual limits of government interference, and companies will often self-censor even further than the actual censorship is designed to cover, just in case.

I could be wrong but i believe the new law about representation of LGBT+ in Chinese media may have come into affect after a publishing deal was already made?

last edited at Feb 3, 2018 1:41AM

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

Every once in a while, we get the reminder that there are less free countries... The US is ruled by a group of mostly old conservative men, but even they dare not mess with our freedom very much. Most of Europe is similar.

China seemed like it was just like the western world because it became rich, but a crackdown like this shows the truth - it's not a free country. I hope this doesn't get worse.

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

first image, first thought - yuri goggles!

Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

The funniest thing is that I can actually see that happening in real life.

To reply you must either login or sign up.