Forum › Posts by Alice Cheshire

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Hylarn posted:

At this point, WotC's best course of action would be to revoke the OGL1.1 in its entirety and take part in Paizo's creation of a license that doesn't suck.

You want them to... scuttle their own brand?

The OGL isn't remotely their brand. Their brand is the core D&D ruleset along with whatever supplemental materials and campaign settings they publish. Paizo's license wouldn't actually harm their brand. No more so than the OGL1.0a has since it was first published back in 2000. As you might guess by the fact it's been place for almost a quarter of a century, it didn't exactly harm their brand at all.

What a lot of people trying to defend WotC don't seem to realize is that this is a very different industry than most. D&D campaigns hinge on the DM's creativity so it's only natural that even people who don't publish material will still create supplemental material over time. It's only natural that people who have put a great deal of time and effort into a setting might want to publish it for others to use. Or they might have a supplemental ruleset that expands upon the base ruleset or works around flaws in the basic ruleset. Why shouldn't they be able to publish those and make money off of them? They're not using someone else's work and selling it. They're expanding upon it in a similar way to game mods or romhacks. Mods in general can be sold, though few people tend to be willing to but them. Look no further than John Romero and and his SIGIL pWAD for Doom.

(Also they can't revoke the OGL 1.1, since it hasn't been released)

Bad wording on my part, I guess. What I meant is that they need to completely reverse ship on the OGL1.1. Paizo's ORC license is intended to serve the same purpose as the OGL1.0a license but with a few changes. First off, it's intended to be a system-agnostic license, meaning anyone can use it for any system. Secondly, it's also intending to include wording to avoid the issues the OGL1.0a has where the OGL1.1 license may be able to invalidate the older license.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

arch99 posted:

I truly hope you are at least getting paid by WotC for this, going to bat for a company with 2 billion ethical issues this hard for free is just not a very good use of time imo.

Kind of a moot point anyways. WotC has walked back the 1.1 leak in a rather half-assed way (they walked back the most egregious parts and also make a rather hilarious claim about the publishing peoples' work without royalties bit not being intended to be used that way and never even crossing their mind) and people still aren't taking it well. And Paizo is already making significant strides at making a system-agnostic irrevocable license and has a lot of backing from major third-party content producers. At this point, WotC's best course of action would be to revoke the OGL1.1 in its entirety and take part in Paizo's creation of a license that doesn't suck. Otherwise they're just going to lose a significant amount of the marketshare for the TTRPG industry to publishers like Paizo which are far more third-party friendly.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Yuki Kitsune posted:

In what way?

• The original OGL is over 20 years old and well overdue for an update.

Age is no argument for whether it needs to be updated. If it needs to be updated you need to have specific arguments for why.

• A large part of what killed D&D e3/e3.5 was the creation of objectionable content that people then associated with WoC, so I can see why they would want to retain a little more control.

You mean like the kinda racist winged monkeys I saw someone posting about on Twitter? Oh wait, that was WotC.

• No one is required to adopt the OGL unless they include copyrighted material from the SRD, but the actual mechanics of the game are not copyrightable. The new OGL cannot be unilaterally imposed--it requires agreement from both sides.

The entire point of the updated version is WotC being able to impose it on anyone making use of their materials in any form. Including content that is made to be compatible with their materials but doesn't actually include any kind of actual official D&D material.

In fact, it doesn't even seem like they can revoke the 1.0a OGL for already published works, only for new works.

Whether they can legally do so is up for debate but the 1.1 license explicitly declares the 1.0a version to be retroactively obsolete.

• I see little impact on most independent creators, and Hasbro can't monetize materials created by others according to their own OGL. Yes, there is a provision that lets them use materials that have not been published physically or digitally, but it specifies that Hasbro/WoC cannot monetize those materials. I don't recall the exact phrasing, but it's pretty clear that its main target is NFTs, not artwork or the like. The only exception is a very small number of corporate competitors, and I'm not sure I can really blame Hasbro for wanting to push back on those.

Literally the first I'm hearing of them being unable to monetize it. Plus the entire fact that multiple confirmed employees have already leaked that it's upper management and Hasbro making a moneygrab kinda makes your argument seem even less likely.

So, please help me understand: how does OGL 1.1 make them greedy?
(There are other things that do, which is one reason I'm not a fan of e5--aka, e2 revisited--but I don't understand the hate for the new OGL.)

For someone who seems to have been looking for information before now you don't seem to have done a terribly thorough job. You can easily find info all over the place. Here's a decent one.

In addition, as I pointed out above: This is literally the same behavior that played a significant role in TSR going out of business and WotC buying the D&D franchise to begin with. As well as a significantly more egregious version of what they tried to do with D&D4e which also resulted in massive backlash. The community has repeatedly made it clear that they do NOT want this sort of monopolistic control over the community.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

WotC should go see their doctor about their heads being lodged so firmly in their rectums. This shit isn't new in the D&D realm and yet they refuse to learn. TSR acting the same way was a factor in it going out of business. And WotC tried something similar when they released 4e which they had to walk back due to backlash as well.

The level of myopia that corporate executives and shareholders display is honestly as impressive as it is baffling. They're so focused on short-term profits that they often manage to not only completely undermine long-term profits but the short-term ones as well meaning that they'd have made more money by literally doing nothing.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Doctor_Hoot posted:

I haven't been receiving chapters from my subscribed series to my To Read list, even though I started to receive email alerts for the same. I was wondering if I'm the only one experiencing this issue, or if this is an intentional update and I'm just out of the loop...

I could be mistaken but to my knowledge, there have never been notifications for the to-read list. Or at the very least, I've never received any since I first registered.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

DumShork posted:

I believe this and the post they were replying to are both more than a little over the line.

Sorry about the late reply. Been really busy lately so this is the first time I've been around in a few days. Warned both of them against similar future behavior. If they continue, report it here again and either I'll take care of it when I'm around or someone else can if they get to it first.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Stannis posted:

Kaoru will never NOT come off creepy to me. She's just bad news all over and I wouldn't want her anywhere close to me.

It's going to be double counting with mg1342mg ? your nightmare is going to come true because the author of the manga has absolutely not the same objectives as you concerning kaoru and mask...**You behave like a nuisance on the forum...The author decides what will happen and your opinion is of no importance.**
This chapter is very melancholic and subtle but yes when kaoru asks mask if her emotions are changing towards her, mask seems to tell her yes, but that she goes through subtle messages to do it ....

The bolded is really toeing the line when it comes to the rules. You can voice your opinion without having to insult people.

Bishamon posted:

Who the fuck is this retard? Two commenters express their opinion on a character in the manga, he throws a hissy fit and launches a personal attack against them—and spouts all these kindergarten-level insults at them.

And I'm not 100% sure but I think this same user had done it before. I'm almost certain it's not the first time he goes on a war of personal attacks against other users, always because of a character he's obsessed with.

Is there an admin somewhere around? We could use some moderating here.

You can report posts you think need to be dealt with here. In addition, you need to be more careful not to break the rules yourself. Calling someone a retard (or otherwise outright insulting them) is against the rules.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014
Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Mr. Jones posted:

https://dynasty-scans.com/forum/posts?user_id=88106

spam

Mr. Jones posted:

https://dynasty-scans.com/forum/posts?user_id=88237
Spam

Taken care of.

DumShork posted:

They're back with another wall that includes accusations against the mods that I believe need to be addressed directly.

Lizstar posted:

They're back with another wall that includes accusations against the mods that I believe need to be addressed directly.

Please someone do something about this person. I am really tired of the countless sea-lioning mile long treatises where it's just bigoted dogwhistle after bigoted dogwhistle. "We all have a right to our own spaces" my foot.

Looks like Casusby has taken care of it already. I've been busy with family the past few days so I wasn't around to see this until now.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Gellydog posted:

It doesn't rise to the level of anything quite yet, but I feel like the discussion on https://dynasty-scans.com/forum/topics/20438-girls-complex-a-la-mode-discussion?page=2 probably bears watching. It's veered off-topic and into some comments that aren't quite transphobic, but definitely are leaning in that direction.

Someone hadn't taken care of this already? The initial report was four days old when I'd seen it so I skipped over it thinking someone had dealt with it already.

It seems like Green777 hasn't posted since the initial report and while BattleBardOchre's continued post isn't what I'd call good it seems like the discussion has more or less died down. For the time being I'll let it go since most of the discussion looks to be almost a week old but if people continue posting stupid shit, report it here. Transphobia has been an issue with some users in the past to the point that the updated rules addressed it and it's not tolerated here. To quote the rules:

https://dynasty-scans.com/forum/posts/651079

1.) First, and above all, remember that everyone is here to have fun and enjoy yuri together. Being overly aggressive, insulting, or generally a jerk is against the rules. This includes:

-Hate speech, racism, sexism, etc. By the same token, do not refer to trans people and/or crossdressers as "traps."

11.) Homophobia, biphobia, and transphobia are grounds for immediate removal from the site. These sentiments are acceptable under precisely zero circumstances.

If people do post anything you believe to be transphobic, feel free to point them to the post I linked regarding the rules in addition to reporting it here.

last edited at Dec 18, 2022 12:45PM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

BV posted:

bot alert bot alert

Don't make bots more visible by replying to them.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Is it just me or does Chidori look a little hungry in Nanoha's phone wallpaper? Looks to me like she's about to take a bit bite out of her friend's head.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
A Cute Guy discussion 10 Nov 17:02
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

yuri forever posted:

Disgusting, this should be a yuri page

While it may not have been a warning to you, there have been warnings about this across the last couple pages. This site is yuri-centric but that does not mean it's only for yuri. It's had het and even yaoi since its inception. If you have a problem with it, then don't read it. This isn't exactly complicated. Furthermore, posts like this add exactly nothing of value to the site. Don't post like this again.

last edited at Nov 10, 2022 5:03PM

Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

White Rose posted:

(Mainly because the yuri in her story is fake yuri that she doesn't even notice—and only the boys, especially the mfcking prince, are treated like serious romantic interests, grr!)

That's actually one of the most irritating parts of that series in my opinion due to the fact that Maria is the only one who ever actually supports Katarina just being herself. Despite the fact that the others love her for the way she is, they still constantly chastise her for living up to the image they have of her. Maria, on the other hand, is of the mindset that Katarina shouldn't change and that she should just become stronger to support her instead. In my opinion, it's the only one of the bunch who's actually fit for her.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Random_Bird posted:

We've got someone advertising an essay sale site to help cheat at university here. FYI
https://dynasty-scans.com/forum/posts/819022

Dealt with.

bubuu posted:

I have a question:
Whenever you link the nth page in a chapter, it always loads the first page, and then the page you linked.
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/anemone_is_in_heat_ch24#17

Was wondering if it might reduce bandwidth usage if it could just load the one page directly?

Tightly linked to that, when you click on the discussion of a series/one shot, it always takes you to the first page, instead of the last. This problem has been raised before, as no one really wants to see the comments on e.g. the first chapter, but rather the newest. I hope this can be changed soon!

In the mean time, my Dynasty Thingifier userscript actually embeds a link to the latest unread post in a thread from the chapter view.

Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

mg1342mg posted:

T*spam*

Seems inappropriate to be flogging your wares.

Mod edit: Removed quoted spam.

Don't quote spam. It just makes more work for whoever deals with the bot.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
A Cute Guy discussion 28 Oct 06:43
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Sadistic-Demon posted:

Why is het even on here???

There's been het on the site since it started. Just because it's primarily yuri does not mean that's all that gets uploaded. If you have a problem with it, then blacklist the het tag.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014
Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Lilisionnach posted:

Delicious spam

Incidentally, I just banned that bot before even seeing this post, lol.

Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Did the manga have Evie going over how she was a loner in her past life as well? It's been awhile so I can't recall.

Nene posted:

Incandescent can actually mean "displaying intense emotion," though I don't think I've heard it used that way very often at all.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

RadiosAreObsolete posted:

I'd imagine her to be more the type to avoid participating in pe.

I thought the exact same with this part. as Mitsuki clearly doesn't like people and seems to try and be by herself and not noticed why are they now making her a sporty type person as well. Her persona is just all over the place. Not that I'm complaining as it just makes her hotter but it wasn't needed and kinda out of left field.

Idk i dont get this take, people arent just story tropes, theres plenty of people out there that are not very social but still sporty lol.

I wasn't really saying this because of story tropes, but because of my experience in school. From my own classmates, the more reserved ones, almost always didn't participate much in sports. And for Mitsuki in particular it seems a bit weird to me, since—as far as we know at least—she seems more interested in music, so I can't really imagine her to have been involved with sports outside of school either. Besides, the manga itself has no problem relying tropes and personality "types", so even from that perspective, I find the sporty thing to be a bit of a weird choice on the author's part.

While it's certainly more common, it's definitely not the rule. In my highschool there were a fair amount of people (myself and quite a number of others in my group of friends) who were both fairly athletic and fairly reserved and introverted as well. Speaking from my own experience, while I didn't particularly want to stand out, it was also pretty easy to get lost in whatever game we were playing and just focus on enjoying myself. As a result I actually ended up with a reputation for being nigh-impossible to hit in dodgeball, for example, despite not even trying to do anything to earn said reputation.