Forum › Their Story discussion

Forest%20fairy%20-%20copy
joined Nov 30, 2017

Sun Jing is 5'9... she's taller than me by 2 inches. I feel kinda short now. :I

trustworthy_dolphin.exe
September-13-2011-19-28-17-tumblrlqi9ekuvcl1qewacoo1500
joined Sep 4, 2017

Although I missed the main discussion of the 12/22 strip (holidays are too damn busy), I'd like to point out that this situation with Mo Xiaonan is also significant for Sun Jing's character. Odds are she's never been put in a position like this before, and how she handles it could affect her relationships with several other characters (especially since there are currently a bunch of people walking past).

Pout2
joined Mar 7, 2017

ugggghhhh

whhhhyyy

why do we need a love triangle.

joined Sep 17, 2017

So not only is it injecting drama right when they were having a breakthrough, it's a flashback to explain the drama. I think my original estimates of only a few months waiting for this to be resolved were too optimistic. I'll just check back in June...

...Oh who am I kidding, I don't have that sort of self-control.

Pikachuwhat
joined Mar 13, 2014

I don't find this girl particularly dislikeable, but I don't really see why she has to be there either lol.

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

I don't find this girl particularly dislikeable, but I don't really see why she has to be there either lol.

for the drama, and for more chapters...but I don't know why one would be complaining about more chapters

Best Mangaka Rohan
25dfc3e30a88f17394a8d2037430b766
joined Dec 13, 2016

Aww i liked the ending

Fb_img_1479131434796
joined Oct 6, 2014

I don't understand the issue with a love triangle. This girl has been in the story since the beginning (I think she was there even before Qui Tong) and the fact that she liked Sun Jing was pretty obvious. Frankly, I'm surprised it took this long for her to be put in the spotlight.

Anyway, I have a feeling the love triangle will be resolved soon, maybe. I'm hoping for a mature response from the characters about this.

Faye_valentine_2
joined Jan 31, 2013

3 words and she already wet

Screenshot_2016-12-27-13-58-01-1
joined Mar 23, 2014

I don't understand the issue with a love triangle. This girl has been in the story since the beginning (I think she was there even before Qui Tong) and the fact that she liked Sun Jing was pretty obvious. Frankly, I'm surprised it took this long for her to be put in the spotlight.

Anyway, I have a feeling the love triangle will be resolved soon, maybe. I'm hoping for a mature response from the characters about this.

exactly! Anyways, this can give us more info about Sun Jing's character. I doubt Tanjiu would want to drag this thing out anyway because so far they have been handling the drama pretty well.

Tsk Tsk. Girl, if you wanted to stand up for someone, you need the upper hand in the situation. You can't just state that they were the ones who hid the object and expect the bullies to be scared just from that. You need something else to back you up, or the bullies would turn on you.

Received_195311451572093
joined Dec 9, 2015

oh god the update! I wonder who's that??

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

The issue is just that: that girl has been there from the start. She did not do anything to establish herself as Qui Tong's rival. Only after the story has spent literal years setting up Sun Jing and Qui Tong's relationship AND finally given us a hint of a resolution, did she suddenly get the narrative treatment a romantic rival should. The issue is not with the existence of a romantic rival/triangle, but with the fact that it played no role in the(ir) story for so long, that its sudden importance, warranting several chapters in the row, feels extremely forced. It is as if the author suddenly remembered that, shit, I had a rival character on the roster all along, I better play her subplot on fast-forward before it's too late, i.e. the leads have committed to each other!

last edited at Jan 11, 2018 7:49AM

Jhkjhk
joined Jan 7, 2014

I really could live with her ceasing to exist, she adds nothing to the main story, at least for me where I'm more focused on the main couple's romance that doesn't need another 3 years of basketball and whatnot to move forward.

I think she's really pretty, though.

joined Jan 11, 2018

The issue is just that: that girl has been there from the start. She did not do anything to establish herself as Qui Tong's rival. Only after the story has spent literal years setting up Sun Jing and Qui Tong's relationship AND finally given us a hint of a resolution, did she suddenly get the narrative treatment a romantic rival should. The issue is not with the existence of a romantic rival/triangle, but with the fact that it played no role in the(ir) story for so long, that its sudden importance, warranting several chapters in the row, feels extremely forced. It is as if the author suddenly remembered that, shit, I had a rival character on the roster all along, I better play her subplot on fast-forward before it's too late, i.e. the leads have committed to each other!

Hell the brief scene during the basketball game where the girl on the other team got flustered when Sun Jing got too close and smiles, and there was a reaction from Qui Tong, showed more of a rivalry than anything the other girl did.

last edited at Jan 11, 2018 9:32AM

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Man, got to love seeing so many pissed off at a story development that has literally been there since the very beginning. It's just amazing the different reactions you see from the community. At the party when pinky showed up people were itching for drama, now that they kiss they all the sudden forgot about the whole thing.

joined Jan 11, 2018

Man, got to love seeing so many pissed off at a story development that has literally been there since the very beginning. It's just amazing the different reactions you see from the community. At the party when pinky showed up people were itching for drama, now that they kiss they all the sudden forgot about the whole thing.

I didn't see people wanting drama, I saw people annoyed that there was going to be drama coming since it was fuckin obvious. She has zero development before now, her existing before now doesn't make it less of a poor choice.

last edited at Jan 11, 2018 11:30AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

How am I suppose to unfairly hate her now?

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Regarding the triangle, it is not so much that the fan girl is there, but the timing of the whole thing. Some of us spent three, almost four years waiting for the main couple to become a couple, we get the first kiss, the hype is at its maximum, and then the next chapter is the start of the fan girl arc. Hatred, or at the very least dislike, towards the fan girl and/or narrative choices of the author from some of the long-time readers was bound to happen.

Now, what I do not agree with, however, is that this plot is being forced by the author. When I think about it, it actually makes perfect sense. The fan girl was shown over the years constantly trying to spend time with SJ, and pretty much always getting turned down. If memory serves, the fan's response was always along the lines of "what, again", indicating this to be something of a trend. She could not have been promoted to full rival because she was unable to form any kind of meaningful connection with SJ, apart from being friendly with her during breaks in school.
SJ always carried herself in these situations in a way that made it obvious she barely even registers the girl, even as a friend. As a parallel, SJ did not just approach QT and confessed out of the blue, she first spent time with her, got to know her, and then confessed.

The only way the fan girl could have been made a rival was if she did pretty much the same thing she is doing now, only if she did it earlier in the story. That, however, would make far less sense. It was hinted, and this turn makes it obvious, that she has real feelings for SJ, it stands to reason she would try something more than just confessing randomly in a school hallway. She was trying, and failing, to get close to SJ, form some sort of connection before opening up about her feelings.

Now, right before this arc started, what did she witness? The birthday party scene. She realised, to her horror undoubtedly, that SJ already has someone she likes, and is, perhaps, even in a relationship with said person (since she had no way of knowing that only after said scene QT finally made the first big leap towards something more than friendship). Remember, the fan girl knew nothing about QT previously. SJ never said where she had to go and whom is she meeting when turning her down.

It actually makes perfect sense for that party scene to be the catalyst for the fan girl finally making a move, probably out of sheer desperation.

Also important to remember, all this takes place in our world, at least, we are not given any indication to the contrary. Therefore, it is also possible the fan girl never actually intended to confess, since Asian country and being gay and all that. It is also probable she had no idea SJ swings that way. If that is the case, her seeing SJ clearly enamoured with another girl is even more of a punch, and would make an even better explanation for this sudden turn of events, in my opinion.

I intended to say at the end that despite all this, I still hate the fan girl, but now I actually can not really bring myself to do that, lol. And they say you can not reason yourself out of emotional stances.

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

Woah! negative energy???

I guess I kind of approached this update as a random side story because I didn't recognize the girl. I thought it was pretty well done. I liked how the episode came full cycle, and I really felt at the end.

I thought the girl's handling of the bullying situation was pretty silly (as others have mentioned), but it didn't seem an important detail. Was all about feelings to me.

Even now I can only vaguely recall the "rival" thread. This new character hasn't really registered with me yet. I'll acknowledge it if it leads to stupid stuff happenning. The girl seems blah so far. Just filler. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm looking forward to the next update.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

I think the point here isn't actually so much any sort of romantic rivalry as that the plot "needs" something for Qui Tong to come out of her shell. I mean, Sun Jing has made her position obvious. Now, Qui Tong needs to "develop". But she's made "clear" where she stands. So she needs a plausible reason to change that stance, so the plot can move forward.

Feeling "threatened" about someone else is the obvious excuse in romantic stories ... so why not do what all the authors do? I don't think it's a big deal. ^^

Untitled2
joined Dec 24, 2013

Would have been more interesting if the girl being bullied was Sun Jing. No, she's just the dashing heroine of the backstory like I expected her to be. I really couldn't care less about this girl and I don't see why I should in this abrupt addition to the story. She's had so little impact I had to be reminded she was a previously established character when she showed up recently. The author should be careful readership doesn't decline during this.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

You know, I like Mo Xiao Nan. I have to admire her bravery for constantly trying to get closer to Sun Jing, even when she doesn't seem interested. There is a point at which she has to accept Sun Jing has no interest in her, which will likely be the end of this arc, but, to say she's only there as a love rival I think is unfair to her. This update makes it clear too, what the depths of her feelings are, and I always like characters who I can relate to in some aspect. The bullying scene shows an element of bravery and naivety that felt very real. Not thinking things through completely, expecting somebody who's too scared to even stand up for themselves stand up for her, not blaming them or even the bullies for the situation she's in, but claiming responsibility for her actions. I like that. If it was Sun Jing, she would have charged in without hesitation and somehow or another forced the bullies to stop, because that's how bullheaded and charismatic she is. This is a different scenario, of somebody who aims to do something but isn't lucky? strong? enough to carry it through. And here is Sun Jing showing up at just the right moment, displaying what Mo Xiao Nan lacks and desires.

Story-wise, if Xiao Nan needs to have a "reason" to be here, then yes I do think it's for Qiu Tong to show she's serious. But this arc and Xiao Nan's actions have been built up over time from the very beginning, her first appearance is in the second update, and this is not a random, half-assed melodrama act.

Not that it matters, but in the Weibo comments for this update, roughly half of the most upvoted comments are people appreciating Xiao Nan as a good person/somebody with a story/understandable/with compelling feelings. (The other half are joking that Qiu Tong has been squatting by the gate since last year but I digress.) So for the original reading population at least, there's no arguing about Mo Xiao Nan's place.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Actually skimming over the most recent 300 posts, there's only two posts I saw explicitly commenting they wish there wasn't a third party, and one of them adds on that even so they think she's cool too.

A summary of other posts I saw, what I mentioned above, and people talking about whether Qiu Tong's going to fight her rival, Sun Jing belongs to Qiu Tong, sending love to Tan Jiu + Sun Jing + Xiao Nan, "So this was her story all along", variations of "That's understandable but don't try to take Sun Jing away from Qiu Tong", advice for Xiao Nan like "Don't fall in love with a ray of light, you can't catch it" or "Sun Jing's actually an idiot, she doesn't deserve your love. Let her ruin Qiu Tong. Think a bit more openly pink-haired girl."

The last one was pretty funny.

Anyway, it's pretty interesting seeing the contrast in opinions readers here and on Weibo have.

The author should be careful readership doesn't decline during this.

Oh you definitely don't need to worry about that.

Tumblr_nj4cv5bfcf1t6wkv1o1_500
joined Jun 7, 2015

There is a page of tumblr where they translate this manhwa and its whole updated and the other stories of the same artist
The names is yaoi-blcd

To reply you must either login or sign up.