Forum › The Role of the Femme Fatale discussion

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Did a wealthy heiress play too many otoges and decided to larp one in real life? Not that I am not down for it...

AVAS (assigned villainess at school)

Based.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

For some bizarre reason I felt the nun would be revealed to sinisterly murder the cat after the heroine is gone ...

e: also, only a psychopath would open a letter like that.

last edited at Jun 26, 2024 5:07AM

Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

Why would you run a school this way tho.

This is like a recipe for complex and unusual traumagenic mental illnesses. Psychologists would have a field day.

last edited at Jun 26, 2024 4:39AM

joined Jul 26, 2023

My suspension of disbelief can't handle this, it's way too dumb.

joined Aug 29, 2023

A new yuri manga being posted on Yuri Day, that's nice.

joined Mar 26, 2021

Looks fun for now! The premise is a bit ridiculous, sure, but if the characters make it work then it's fine.
Roles-wise, maybe there's more to it than "I want to do X stuff, so my role is X-doer". Maybe they're supposed to be challenging, in a way? Also, maybe the school assigns names as well as the roles, and everyone uses an alias while in there. I guess we'll see.
For now, looks like Takizawa, the twin-tailed tsun girl, is the best candidate for a best friend/first lover.

joined Oct 11, 2022

The manga is literally called "the role of the femme-fatale" are we sure "villainess" isn't supposed to be translated as "femme fatale"? Especially since "Villainess" is a generic evil person whereas "femme fatale" is specifically associated with seduction, which is the only angle I can see as to why she was given the role because of her questionnaire answer.

I know that villainess yuri has become something of a genre in recent times, and it's one that I quite enjoy myself, but I don't think the term should be misused just to be fit into the genre if that's why it was done.

The actual word in the raws is 悪女 (akujo) - "wicked woman" if you go strictly by a dictionary (which is not the end all be all of translation, word for word translations are awful). Given that the "wicked stepmother" is a prototypical villainess, villainess seems perfect here.

Though yes the title uses 魔性の乙女 and from what I see 魔性の女 is often translated as "femme fatale", yes. But that's not the word in the text.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

The manga is literally called "the role of the femme-fatale" are we sure "villainess" isn't supposed to be translated as "femme fatale"? Especially since "Villainess" is a generic evil person whereas "femme fatale" is specifically associated with seduction, which is the only angle I can see as to why she was given the role because of her questionnaire answer.

I know that villainess yuri has become something of a genre in recent times, and it's one that I quite enjoy myself, but I don't think the term should be misused just to be fit into the genre if that's why it was done.

The actual word in the raws is 悪女 (akujo) - "wicked woman" if you go strictly by a dictionary (which is not the end all be all of translation, word for word translations are awful). Given that the "wicked stepmother" is a prototypical villainess, villainess seems perfect here.

Though yes the title uses 魔性の乙女 and from what I see 魔性の女 is often translated as "femme fatale", yes. But that's not the word in the text.

To clarify, the term for the typical otome game villainess is 悪役令嬢 (akuyaku reijou, lit. "daughter of a rich family playing the bad guy role"), so it's a little different from that, but admittedly the context is hard to pin down from the sole chapter that's available, since we don't yet know how she's supposed to fulfil her role outside of that future glimpse we get at the start.

last edited at Jun 26, 2024 7:16AM

277518907_284798580472730_8969942845314652470_n
joined Sep 19, 2021

The hell is this premise...

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Roodypatooti posted:

Why would you run a school this way tho.

This is like a recipe for complex and unusual traumagenic mental illnesses. Psychologists would have a field day.

You say that, but it seems like they already are, since this is clearly the Yuri-Middle-School branch of Stanford.

haibane posted:

Wicked woman sounds like it should imply a degree of seduction, more than just being a villain, and the wicked step mother trope doesn't actually feel like a close analog, despite sharing a word. While Femme Fatal probably isn't an exact match, it's a lot closer to how the phrase gets used in popular culture like the film A Wicked Woman, any of the songs that use that line, or the Eagle's Witchy Woman, which is clearly a play on wicked woman.

ArtemisOnVtubers
joined Dec 16, 2021

Her job is build an harem

Miki_closeup
joined Mar 20, 2014

So ... what if she just ignores her role and just goes on to go to school? Will she get expelled? I mean, if she does wouldn't it be kind of bad for the school's image if she spilled the beans?

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

That "Huh?!" was absolutely the perfect reaction to this. :D

New friend has the "Tsundere" role?

“I WILL MAKE FRIENDS WITH EVERYONE AT SCHOOL. THAT'S WHAT I WROTE IN THE PRE-ENROLLMENT QUESTION-NAIRE...”

Gets a villainess type role immediately

What a great way to say “fuck you” to your bright eyed students, good job school

Oh, I'm sure there most have been something in her other answers that made them decide this role would be the best way to ensure she'll have the best time in her new school.

586679-586678-51yyd2ts_il._sl500_aa300__super
joined Oct 4, 2018

“I WILL MAKE FRIENDS WITH EVERYONE AT SCHOOL. THAT'S WHAT I WROTE IN THE PRE-ENROLLMENT QUESTION-NAIRE...”

Gets a villainess type role immediately

What a great way to say “fuck you” to your bright eyed students, good job school

You know, this makes me wonder if what she wrote in the raws is closer to「皆と仲良くなりたい」(which better translates to "I want to get along with everyone") instead of 「皆と友達になりたい」(more specific way to say "I want to be friends with everyone"). If what she wrote in her questionare is the first one then this whole thing makes so much more sense.

It's the curse (blessing) of linguistic ambiguity lmao

joined May 29, 2021

Are this and False Marigold running at the same time or is one of them way older and only now getting translated?

False Marigold has reportedly concluded with chapter 15 aka 3 volumes worth, so this is the only series they're working on rn

Huh that’s only five chapters out from where we are. Guess it’ll be a quick wrap up. Hope it’s satisfying. I’ve liked that one.

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

I was confused why it was "villainess" because specifically giving some middle schooler the title of akuyaku reijou is kinda wacky but it seems it's more "harlot" than anything LOL

Like that doesn't quite capture the connotation and would be insane whiplash in an all girls' Catholic school but like. I feel like "villainess" is too loaded, unless Sappho Scans knows something we don't?

Anyway "Okay, Samantha, you're the friendly girl, and Polly, you're the nerd. Oh you, Dorothy? You're the campus slut" is crazy

last edited at Jun 26, 2024 4:03PM

joined Mar 19, 2019

Bro, same

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

I just realized two things. First, the summary specifies that all the students at this school are orphans, which I don't think came up in the first chapter, but feels pretty significant.

Second, she's just starting middle school, so she's what, 12? That makes the "find a lover" command even more weird. Are there any other possible interpretations or connotations that could have been lost in translation, like the Villainess thing, or that she might be missing in universe?

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

I just realized two things. First, the summary specifies that all the students at this school are orphans, which I don't think came up in the first chapter, but feels pretty significant.

Second, she's just starting middle school, so she's what, 12? That makes the "find a lover" command even more weird. Are there any other possible interpretations or connotations that could have been lost in translation, like the Villainess thing, or that she might be missing in universe?

"Lover" in japanese is not as much of a sexually loaded term as it is in english.
In Japan, a partner is typically called your "lover" regardless of age or actual sexual status, it's generally more of a straight-up synonym for boyfriend/girlfriend than in english.

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

She tried to hand her luggage to her future gf like she was a porter. Ha!

CindertailtheKistune
Tumblr_830a85052a1b34481fa368bf50ca9fc5_de74d4e4_500
joined Oct 19, 2021

Anyway "Okay, Samantha, you're the friendly girl, and Polly, you're the nerd. Oh you, Dorothy? You're the campus slut" is crazy

Man, I almost didn't laugh...... almost......

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

The WTF is strong in this one.

DschingisKhan
Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

Would it be villainous to burn the school down?

Genshin.impact.600.3396601
joined Jul 20, 2016

This seems so fun! Can't wait for more!

ColdGoldLazarus
Cglishmini
joined Apr 12, 2018

She tried to hand her luggage to her future gf like she was a porter. Ha!

Honestly, I think you're onto something here. Between that and bumping into her in the first place, I could see her clumsiness and social missteps being reinterpreted in light of her role as something more sinister. She appears all bubbly and cheerful on the surface, but to get the role of villainess? And so the other students start to think maybe she's a bitch in sheep's clothing, even though she's actually just being sincere the whole time, and that could lead to some interesting things. It still raises the question of why she was given that role to begin with, of course, which should be an interesting plot thread to play with in its own right.

To reply you must either login or sign up.