Forum › Posts by Koveras

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Did a wealthy heiress play too many otoges and decided to larp one in real life? Not that I am not down for it...

AVAS (assigned villainess at school)

Based.

Koveras
Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I was not expecting to see bondage wasps this morning, but here we are!

Came here to post this, but it seems I am not needed anymore.

Though I may add that bondage wasps were the perfect crossover opportunity with Liar Satsuki...

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

"It's easy to be creative for some reason," she says. Well, no shit, Sherlock, it's not like you have your greatest fan on speed dial who worships everything you write.

Koveras
Lily of the Valley 23 Jun 09:57
Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

To me it's terrible. I'm not normally so blunt but this one took the cake. I wanted to see if anyone was discussing the series on here but it seems there's not much. I've got a bit more to say if anyone does want to discuss it though. Definitely not a recommendation from me unless someone wants a good chuckle.

Yeah, the story is ultimately quite bleak. Ended rather abruptly, too, I expected it to last at least 60 chapters, like Bad Thinking Diary.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

TFW your mom's BFF is just as useless a lesbian as she is.

last edited at Jun 23, 2024 2:47PM

Koveras
Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Welp, the driving question of this manga is shaping up to be: which of the two leads the title refers to? It would be much easier if it were a plural (see Idiot couple)...

To be honest, in Japanese, the title "Baka Onna" is ambiguous and may apply to both. Could be "Stupid Woman" or "Stupid Women". If there wasn't already an English title, I probably would have used "Stupid Women".

But, the official English title, on the Japanese cover itself, is "Stupid Woman" (singular) as you can see.

It could be a case of the Japanese editor not really caring about the meaning of the English title, but I'm not going to change it.

Thanks for clarifying! I knew that Japanese language usually doesn't differentiate singular and plural, but since the original authors/editors have picked "woman" as the official English title, I agree that it's better to just stick with it.

Also, I'm not sure of the meaning of 26:00 (yet).

I like @Gabinomicon's theory that their initial meeting at the diner in chapter 1 took place at 2 am, which can be written as 26:00 in the 24-hour time notation, if one is really, really fancy. I couldn't find if it's explicitly spelled out anywhere in the chapter, but it's clearly night outside when they talk, an early morning (sunrise) when the ride out to the airport, and Atsuko falls asleep as soon as they are on the plane, having stayed awake through the night, so 2 am would fit.

In other words, the title could be creatively interpreted as Two Useless Lesbians Meeting Up At 2 AM.

last edited at Jun 23, 2024 7:52AM

Koveras
Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Welp, the driving question of this manga is shaping up to be: which of the two leads the title refers to? It would be much easier if it were a plural (see Idiot couple)...

Koveras
Kill Switch discussion 20 Jun 17:45
Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Update for those wondering. I reached out to the scan group:

"Hii thx for reaching out abt kill switch! we have not dropped the series and we wont be dropping it anytime soon. due to the lack of staff and time bc of irl, it was put on hold for a while but dont worry! we have been working on chapters these past few weeks and it should be released within this month (or next month)~ "

It has been one and a half years already. ;__;

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

So this is it I've finally finished MahouAko

Is the series completed in Japanese?

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

If Hime is so into gap moe, she better not to fall for both Koga and Aya. Her heart may not be able to handle it.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Oof, the Little Empress is finally showing her claws. I hope she understands that she is officially declaring war on the Dowager at this moment, and has made off-screen preparations accordingly. :-)

I mean the Dowager's scheme here was already kinda declaring war on her. What was she supposed to do otherwise, let them smear her as a violent abusive empress?

That is indeed what she was supposed to do, according to traditional filial piety expectations. Doing so would deescalate the situation, and place the Dowager back on top of the pecking order in the Rear Palace. The fact that the Empress chose to escalate instead means the conflict will likely move from the cold to the hot phase, with assassinations and all that good stuff. I am hoping the Little Empress is prepared for that.

last edited at Jun 15, 2024 4:54PM

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

''But can Tsukushi stop messing things up'' is a pretty sobering question (^^) The girl has a heart of gold and she genuinely cares, but she's definitely a bit of a dumb-dumb.

To be fair, she has Hinoka as her girlfriend, who is incredibly competent at achieving her own goals. The sole reason this story is so long is that Hinoka also enjoys handicapping herself for funsies, like deciding that she won't confess until her super-dense friend does so first.

Koveras
Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Sigh, I guess I ship Yuetao x Ruby now, as well.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Oof, the Little Empress is finally showing her claws. I hope she understands that she is officially declaring war on the Dowager at this moment, and has made off-screen preparations accordingly. :-)

last edited at Jun 14, 2024 4:11AM

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

"Bullies are the worst!" is ironic coming from the character who chronically bullies her girlfriend :P

Hey, don't kink-shame! ;-)

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

and the ironic thing is that Mashiro probably failed and then the scummy girl becomes the breadwinner supporting Mashiro

Now that would be something, wouldn't it. :D

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I don't get it. Is it cultural? Is it a question of writing skill? Is it a distorted observation because these moments stick out so much? Eh, who knows, but it certainly feels weird and I'd like to hear what the authors themselves say about it xD

I'd like to know the author's answer to this as well. To me, such blasé attitudes towards trauma, both personal and intergenerational, imply a certain cultural blind spot (or even a taboo?) around it and the ways it shapes the victims' personalities and identities.

I did not expect a random rape scene to happen pretty much in the background / two panels aside of this story, without any real tie to the plot... Huh. Eww...

Agreed, that was quite jarring.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Well, I am pretty sure both the Empress and the Princess know who pushed the latter, so this is going to be a test of her true allegiances. Looking forward to how exactly the Empress is gonna turn this one back on the Dowager. :-)

Koveras
Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

D-S commenters: Ugh, this whole manga is just blatant advertising for the Tokyo fashion industry.
Yodokawa: May I introduce you to MB, Tokyo fashion blogger and my consultant/editor for this series.

That's about the size of it. :-)

Koveras
Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Rena is the real star of this story.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Yeeaa, the slow-moving trainwreck has just hit the station (mixing metaphors there, I know). This was bound to happen from the start, and Koto is wholly responsible for Aya's leaving, but on the other hand, I am not sure she could have acted any other way in that situation? Koto may be an adult in day-to-day situations, but when it comes to Aya, her schema is that of a 14 years-old kid whose girlfriend has apparently ghosted her for no reason. Her trauma leads to possessiveness as a survival adaptation, which, ironically, is what drives most people away. Koto is responsible for Aya leaving in this chapter, but let's not blame a trauma survivor for surviving the only way she knew how.

last edited at Jun 8, 2024 4:37PM

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

A great chapter, plot-wise, but I still cannot get over how epic a power walk Miyako did perform here. I am used to this kind of stuff in Gundam SEED but not in my wholesome yuri manga about idols. :D ...that said, the character it most reminded me of, Lacus, is also an idol, so maybe power walks are an idol thing? O__o

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Rei is finally living the life she's always wanted: simping for Claire from extremely close range without a fear of retribution. :-)

last edited at Jun 5, 2024 3:46PM

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

So the Pope in this setting is not only a girl, but one whose face is conspicuously hidden from the reader, while her silhouette is oddly reminiscent of Rei's? Probably nothing significant there. :3

Koveras
Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Remember kids, when you are in a shitty workplace just keep working hard and one day you too will be rewarded! ^^#

Actually, the moral seems to be more along the lines of "If your job sucks, look for an opportunity to move to a better one."

Her tasks were all shitty, until she actively went after an employer that she knew was cool and would treat her decently, and now things are better.

I think both interpretations are correct. If your life is not satisfying, you need both patience to wait for a good opportunity to improve your lot and the resolve to both notice and to grasp it in a timely fashion once it arises.