Forum › Take Responsibility For My Stomach! discussion

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Mr. Zilla posted:

I will admit that her target weight of 40kg seems a little low.

Sadly Japan has insane standards, that's why around 40kg number shows up so often as targeted weight and over that is consider being fat. It's really frustrating to read those mangos that go into a lot of depth about diets, calories etc. when character is barely overweight and often in completely healthy range, but everyone acts as if she looked like stereotypically obese American. Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru? is good example from top of my head.

Images
joined Feb 9, 2015

This​ is​ so​ whole​some.
By​ the​ way, Asian​ weight​ standard​ is​ crazy.​ I​ am​ 162 cm​ tall​ and​ weight​ 57 kg​ so​ BMI 21.7 which​ is​ mid​ of​ normal​ BMI.​ I​ need​ to​ buy​ size​ L women​ clothes​ in​ Asia, while​ in​ Europe​ I​ can​ wear​ M or​ even​ S​ size.

joined May 1, 2015

What is that cutting instrument in her second measurement?

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Ramunes posted:

What is that cutting instrument in her second measurement?

Meat cleaver?

joined Mar 5, 2016

it's a carpenter's saw

joined May 17, 2021

This is a different note than what you guys are talking about but

Who allowed a recipe like that to be published? Even with the same general concept and aiming for low calories, it can be way better with a few substitutions. Why would you ever use oats for something like this? If you want low calories, lentils will synergize with the flavors better AND have lower calorie count proportionate to nutritional value. And spinach? I assume it's being used purely for nutritional value since it doesn't fit the flavor profile at all, but you can still go with chard to get flavor that goes well with curry spices, and has more fiber as well. This would allow you to chicken instead of prawns if you're still aiming for 400 calories, and remove what I assume was the reason to add bouillon though honestly it's a ridiculous thing to do to a curry in any situation. Quite apart from the fact that cooking the spices and ingredients together allows the flavors to suffuse each other properly, what's the meaning of calling it a curry recipe then?

Speaking of ridiculous, this curry recipe lists curry roux as an ingredient? If it just tells you to add a pre-made curry, how is it a curry recipe? And if you used the butter from the roux directly, you could just cook the oats/lentils separately and cook the rest in the butter in a pan and combine later, to avoid drowning the veggies and meats and maybe even go for a slight char. I know when the Japanese think of curry they really mean stew, but a "dry curry" is still supposed to mean actual curry.

Also, using a blender instead of chopping ingredients is some depression cooking. If your mental health is in such a state that chopping ingredients is a hurdle you cannot pass, use a blender. Otherwise, only use a blender for things that should be blended, not things that should be chopped. Food processors exist for a reason, although as long as your knife is sharp you'll still get a better result chopping by hand.

You guys are right about the weight issue, I didn't even notice because she's drawn as kinda flabby but what she needs is clearly exercise, not diet. If she's looking flabby at that weight, she must have almost no muscle mass. That would also explain why her metabolism is so low that she feels like she gets fat while eating not that much, and feels the need to do excessive things like only eating salad or even going to a 1200Cal/day diet. As a side note, this kind of thing is apparently a pretty common problem in Japan and part of why they're so susceptible to minor illnesses like colds.

Honestly, this feels like the mangaka is just writing her own thoughts without any actual underlying knowledge. It's not a health manga, it's not really a yuri manga (maybe it will be but I wouldn't count on it) and as a food manga it leaves a lot to be desired. I will probably read at least a few chapters more because the characters are fun and interesting, and see where it goes from here, but if the recipes are like this I'm liable to have a conniption over every single one.

Shigure%20beach
joined Oct 18, 2017

Chubby shortstack is gewd. Ruka is obviously a lady of culture (and judging by her comments, so are their kouhais).

Anyone else feel like that whole 'i want to cook for you' spiel sounded quite like a proposal? yuri or not, this is already gay AF.
Also, i feel i should note for the record that i want to squish Zuka-chan's tummy and thighs. XD

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Isn’t BMI a totally bullshit number? It doesn’t actually differentiate between what type of mass it is, whether its fat, or muscle, and so doesn’t really provide any meaningful data? Also wasn’t the guy who created BMI a big proponent of eugenics or something

Wizardofwonder
joined Sep 11, 2015

Isn’t BMI a totally bullshit number? It doesn’t actually differentiate between what type of mass it is, whether its fat, or muscle, and so doesn’t really provide any meaningful data? Also wasn’t the guy who created BMI a big proponent of eugenics or something

Yeah and he wasnt a doctor either. However the whole dieting thing is questionable at best and harmful at worst. Getting to adn keeping a healthy weight requires listening to your body and nurturing it rather than all the diet hallmarks of restrictions and starving.

Unnamed
joined Nov 6, 2018

Oh yes. The Chubby tag is always a treat.

Ah, another connoisseur I see

Of course. I'm the one who suggested the tag.

Unnamed
joined Nov 6, 2018

You know what I say? Fuck diets and exercise. If weight is your only concern, just try fasting. There were days when I wouldn't eat from when I woke up until 3 pm. After that, I would just eat a late lunch, a snack, dinner, and a small desert on occasion. It worked reasonably well. Then again, I'm no expert and didn't consult a doctor, so don't take my advice blindly.

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

Diets are usually a trap since even when they work, you're just gonna gain the weight back if you don't change the rest of your lifestyle to keep your weight where it is afterwards. Diets are designed to make you lose weight, not maintain it; if you stay indefinitely on a diet which works then you'll just slowly kill yourself.

Don't take health advice from Japan, folks xD

Unnamed
joined Nov 6, 2018

Diets are usually a trap since even when they work, you're just gonna gain the weight back if you don't change the rest of your lifestyle to keep your weight where it is afterwards. Diets are designed to make you lose weight, not maintain it; if you stay indefinitely on a diet which works then you'll just slowly kill yourself.

They have one of the longest average lifespans of any country. They must be doing something right.

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

They have one of the longest average lifespans of any country. They must be doing something right.

Also one of the highest suicide rates and the dubious honor of having a word for "death by overwork".

Unnamed
joined Nov 6, 2018

Also one of the highest suicide rates and the dubious honor of having a word for "death by overwork".

Yeah, but they apparently somehow have physical heath down even with the crazy standards. Japan really is a fascinating place.

last edited at Aug 3, 2021 7:05PM

Fb_img_1506323085663
joined Apr 2, 2017

YES!
A new manga about the beautiful world of healty food with recipes and facts added to the mix. ¡I'M SOLD! ¡¡¡¡¡GIMME MOREEEEEE!!!!

20210429_051959
joined May 18, 2021

Always love a supportive gf, they're so cute ;_;

E. Vigée Le Brun
joined Jun 8, 2021

Fun fact: I read the whole thing thinking that the two MCs were a lesbian couple. Every new page made me even more convinced. Only at the end I had the idea to check the tags and found that there was nothing about this story being yuri romance and I was like "Huuuuuuh???"

You and me. And judging by other comments we weren't the only ones.
Actually Goggled Anon has posted that the Japanese are selling this as a yuri manga, which makes perfect sense: the two leading ladies display a body language and level of skinship that would scream 'lovers' in any country of the world, even more so Japan. I expect the yuri tag to be soon added to the tag list.

According to google the average height of Japanese women is 4'9", so that seems entirely plausible .

I'm not quite sure what was your search, but it appears that something must have gone wrong with the results you got.
Simply google the worlds 'average height japan' and you'll find this:

Average male height: 5' 7.4"
Average female height: 5' 2.6"

A number of websites with relevant info which I visited (to double-check) confirmed these numbers.

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

Yeah, but they apparently somehow have physical heath down even with the crazy standards. Japan really is a fascinating place.

One could argue that being driven to suicide is the ultimate unhealthy lifestyle though.
On account of... you know... causing the end of the life... ^^*

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Excuse my interruption, but the hara hachi bu is a really nice thing, you eat until you are about 80% full, then you stop eating, so you don't overeat. It is from Japan and it's pretty reasonable.

On another note, I got to love working out after disastrous diets, letting the scale bring me down (not so much in weight tho), and counting calories and weighed everything that I ate, that was no fun. I much rather work out and eat properly.

Now for the manga, well, she does look like she could use some strength training alright. Don't know about weight but some muscle does well to most people.

PS I thought it'd be yuri, but it's still fun and they have recipes.

joined Apr 6, 2019

Being honest is, indeed, a honor. You wanna know which country in the world has the highest rate of deaths by overwork? The USA. Then come many third world countries from Africa and South America, then Asian countries like Japan. The Japanese are, afaik, the only ones who don't try to hide the truth behind these passings. In the USA, the corporate establishment is very strict about never using the word "overwork" when related to deceases: a death by overwork is usually described as a simple "cardiovascular accident." Sometimes a "cardiovascular accident due to an unhealthy lifestyle." The reports never spell out that the unhealthy lifestyle in question was a workload of 16 hours a day.

As for suicides, I don't really have info about the problem, but my educated guess would be that culture has a lot to do with it. It's one thing to live in a country where religion teaches you that suicide is the worst of mortal sins, another to live in a country where tradition teaches you that suicide is the ultimate act of courage and uprightness.

last edited at Aug 4, 2021 3:08PM

Tsutako
joined Nov 15, 2018

Who allowed a recipe like that to be published? Even with the same general concept and aiming for low calories, it can be way better with a few substitutions. Why would you ever use oats for something like this? If you want low calories, lentils will synergize with the flavors better AND have lower calorie count proportionate to nutritional value. And spinach? I assume it's being used purely for nutritional value since it doesn't fit the flavor profile at all, but you can still go with chard to get flavor that goes well with curry spices, and has more fiber as well. This would allow you to chicken instead of prawns if you're still aiming for 400 calories, and remove what I assume was the reason to add bouillon though honestly it's a ridiculous thing to do to a curry in any situation. Quite apart from the fact that cooking the spices and ingredients together allows the flavors to suffuse each other properly, what's the meaning of calling it a curry recipe then?

Speaking of ridiculous, this curry recipe lists curry roux as an ingredient? If it just tells you to add a pre-made curry, how is it a curry recipe? And if you used the butter from the roux directly, you could just cook the oats/lentils separately and cook the rest in the butter in a pan and combine later, to avoid drowning the veggies and meats and maybe even go for a slight char. I know when the Japanese think of curry they really mean stew, but a "dry curry" is still supposed to mean actual curry.

Also, using a blender instead of chopping ingredients is some depression cooking. If your mental health is in such a state that chopping ingredients is a hurdle you cannot pass, use a blender. Otherwise, only use a blender for things that should be blended, not things that should be chopped. Food processors exist for a reason, although as long as your knife is sharp you'll still get a better result chopping by hand.

You guys are right about the weight issue, I didn't even notice because she's drawn as kinda flabby but what she needs is clearly exercise, not diet. If she's looking flabby at that weight, she must have almost no muscle mass. That would also explain why her metabolism is so low that she feels like she gets fat while eating not that much, and feels the need to do excessive things like only eating salad or even going to a 1200Cal/day diet. As a side note, this kind of thing is apparently a pretty common problem in Japan and part of why they're so susceptible to minor illnesses like colds.

Honestly, this feels like the mangaka is just writing her own thoughts without any actual underlying knowledge. It's not a health manga, it's not really a yuri manga (maybe it will be but I wouldn't count on it) and as a food manga it leaves a lot to be desired. I will probably read at least a few chapters more because the characters are fun and interesting, and see where it goes from here, but if the recipes are like this I'm liable to have a conniption over every single one.

Excellent critique. I had many of the same thoughts myself, particularly about the oats being replaced with lentils (possibly because I am eating lentil tacos this week). If we get more chapters from this manga, I hope you will stick around and provide corrections for all the recipes. It would be a great help to many, I am sure.

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

Being honest is, indeed, a honor. You wanna know which country in the world has the highest rate of deaths by overwork? The USA. Then come many third world countries from Africa and South America, then Asian countries like Japan. The Japanese are, afaik, the only ones who don't try to hide the truth behind these passings. In the USA, the corporate establishment is very strict about never using the word "overwork" when related to deceases: a death by overwork is usually described as a simple "cardiovascular accident." Sometimes a "cardiovascular accident due to an unhealthy lifestyle." The reports never spell out that the unhealthy lifestyle in question was a workload of 16 hours a day.

As for suicides, I don't really have info about the problem, but my educated guess would be that culture has a lot to do with it. It's one thing to live in a country where religion teaches you that suicide is the worst of mortal sins, another to live in a country where tradition teaches you that suicide is the ultimate act of courage and uprightness.

I have no idea, so I'll take your word for it. Congratulations on completely missing or ignoring the point though.

Ricowow
joined Dec 23, 2020

Meanwhile, I can't help but wonder if other diets will be mentioned in this series. I know the Paleo diet is effective but its super expensive to maintain, and the Keto diet is good but risky for folks who are diabetic because of the risk of keto acidosis...

But even putting that aside, the personalities bounce off of each other nicely and they have a strong relationship already! I'm absolutely loving this!

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Excellent critique. I had many of the same thoughts myself, particularly about the oats being replaced with lentils (possibly because I am eating lentil tacos this week). If we get more chapters from this manga, I hope you will stick around and provide corrections for all the recipes. It would be a great help to many, I am sure.

I want to say I completely agree. This was an excellent post, eloquent, engaging and full of useful information. I am very interested in all things related to cooking, so I'm eagerly awaiting the coming chapters of this cute manga -- and I hope we'll get to see more of your opinions on the dieting methods and the recipes.

last edited at Aug 4, 2021 7:47PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.