Forum › Posts by Nevri

Nevri Uploader
Nutmeg discussion 19 Nov 17:03
Nearl%202
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I meant to write it along with last 2 releases, but ended up kinda forgetting (and well, meant to write it as speculations before chapter 3 and 4 were released in the magazine in the first place).

After the ending of chapter 2 I was pretty hyped, because what I was hoping would happen next was Natsume and Yuuri getting together and we'd have experienced lesbian dating a fledgling one. But instead of that almost entire chapter revolved around going back to status quo and establishing how everything went exactly back to normal only to then end on a another big cliffhanger.

Nothing seemed lost yet though. Chapter later but it still could go the way I thought it would last time or alternatively, if Rinrin turned out to date the new girl, they could together help out Yuuri in her journey of self-discovery, which would be as equally interesting to read about. Instead she just ran away and we spend another entire chapter pretty much waiting for story to progress further until it ended with another cliffhanger.

It was pretty obviously Natsume looking for Yuuri and they maybe, possibly would start dating now, but still it didn't need to take so long. On their own those chapters were fine, but they were written with weekly manga pacing in quarterly magazine. So that definitely colored my opinion and made me come more harsh on this story than it really deserved.

Just kinda wanted to get it of my chest, so don't mind me engaging in some casual thread necromancy.

Nevri Uploader
Nearl%202
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I reread it again and damn, it's just as good as I remember. Otsu, why have you forsaken us!?

Nevri Uploader
Anime season 28 Oct 15:18
Nearl%202
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Not that anyone cares, since there's no yuri, but episode 1 of Arknights is great and if they keep it up, I shouldn't be worried about them rushing the story, since we only get 8 episodes of season 1 copium

Nevri Uploader
Anime season 20 Oct 21:13
Nearl%202
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

protectmomo posted:

She's rich because she has a fully paid 8br house, a full alchemist toolset for free, got a free Bag of Holding and sword and everything else

I was under the impression you were also counting her living in orphanage etc. as her being given free things.

she still has a massive net worth.

Even if, my point was it's worth nothing if she can't actually sell her services.

I'm not saying it's bad that she received free things. I'm saying it's bad that she received free welfare and refuses to give it to anybody else. That she would literally let somebody die rather than return the favour, when her entire life is a result of people giving her free things. She talks on and on about how much her work is worth. Think of all the labour she took from other people without giving them any money. From the orphanage, from her tutor, from her school. She's a complete hypocrite. If everyone followed the ideals she talks so much about, she would have starved to death when her parents died.

You got a point there. I'm not going to argue about that, since as I said from the start, I agree with you on principle.

She doesn't need money to keep her shop open! She owns it! She has no expenses to pay whatsoever, other than food. Somehow I don't think she'll starve, even if she saves someone's life without charging them 20 million. Maybe she could settle for charging them enough to buy food for a while, if they can't afford to pay 20 million. Or maybe if she showed an ounce of generosity, villagers would show her generosity for saving their life and not let her starve. Because if you don't make everything about money, don't make every single interaction with another human a transaction, people will help you back. That's how villages worked for thousands of years, before city-based capitalism removed the human element from society.

I 100% agree with that and actually wish we could go back to that.

The reality of the world we're living in is that doctors will save you in an emergency regardless of whether not you can pay.

Just to clarify this point. They'd save you in case of emergency. Nobody is arguing that doesn't happen. It was more about those more complicated and expensive producers that not only helps you, but also fully restore your quality of live. So not just bare minimum, emergency treatments.

And I thought the world was in agreement that USA healthcare situation is insane, not something to be defended as a good thing. Apparently I was wrong.

I have no idea how you could understand anything I'm talking about as "good" thing when I was pretty much ranting how fucked up our current social system is. My point is you reacted to that "money is more important than life" line in anime as if it was something completely foreign to you and something you could not even comprehend anyone could think and labeled anime the most vile thing to ever exist for saying that, when our current world is full of that wherever you look. I'm not saying it's good or that it shouldn't be changed, but the fact of the matter is, it's the world we're currently living in, so I found your reaction to that part of anime very... confusing. Maybe I'm just too used to how our world is fucked up, so when watching that part it didn't really bother me, because it was no much different than what we got, but your apparent lack of that real life experience was definitely weird.

What does Birdie Wing have to do with anything? Birdie Wing doesn't have the author writing monologues about how people are worth less than money, while portraying anyone who disagrees as a bad person.

Birdie Wing does the exact opposite. It is a story about the people in poverty fighting for a better life.

My point was exactly that it uses a wealth gap as a set dressing to the story, without really addressing it. In the end Eve doesn't really win better life (i assume, dropped it like 2-3 episodes in), but either way as I wrote, my main complain was that you seem to be taken aback by this rich girl using her privilege and what not, while the rich girl in Birdie Wing does exactly the same thing. She doesn't uses her resources to help anyone, especially struggling Eve she could easily do, especially considering she caught her interest and she'd definitely be interested in being able to play more with her whenever she wants. Instead of using her influence and resources she completely ignores Eve's material situation and leaves her to fend for herself and forces her to get even more debt solely so she can enjoy another match with her. For someone who gets so triggered by wealth discrepancy and using someone wealth for selfish reasons without giving anything back in return, I was surprised how you could totally just ignore those parts of the story. The moral of the story (or at least in those few first episodes) was clearly "it's not rich people problem to solve poor people financial issues, they need to do it themselves" and I couldn't see it other than series cynical way of maintaining the rich vs poor dynamic and using it for entertainment value.

tl;dr Birdie Wing initially looked very interesting to me, because it seemed to be stupid fun and nothing more, but then we got the whole "rich girl looking down on poor girl for playing golf for money instead just for fun how you should" and I couldn't just enjoy it anymore, because when solution to Eve's entire situation and reason she needs to gamble for money etc. was sitting just right there and show was happily ignoring it. I felt crazy for being only person who seemed to take any issues with it and how it mirrors our reality, which soured entire thing for me, when everyone else was praising it, but then one of the people who advocated for it, takes issue for nearly similar problems with some unremarkable CGDCS anime?

How is your takeaway from anything I wrote that "people aren't allowed to write about wealth inequality in stories"? My problem is portraying inequality as a good thing, while saying it's the way society should be.

Well I never said you can't depict wealth inequality, but the way you do matter. Also Birdie Wing presents it this way as well. As just how things our and that you can't really do anything, but just accept and work your way up from bottom, little by little, because no rich person will help you and if you want a favor, you need to pay for it.

Either way. I really don't have too much strong feelings about this show. I have many more issues with capitalism and our current society, but as much as I hate it, I can't simply ignore its existence, so I was simply baffled you acted as if something like that never happens irl, when it is all around us. We seem to disagree on details and I don't really care enough to rewatch episode to make a more in depth argument (especially since i kinda only watched parts of it the first time). I have no desire to continue this conversation, nor I really wanted to argue that your overall worldview was wrong or put you under impression I had some personal issue with you. Your posts simply came off as too innocent and way too overemotional, but if I was wrong about it, then I'm apologizing.

last edited at Oct 20, 2022 9:24PM

Nevri Uploader
Anime season 20 Oct 18:59
Nearl%202
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Serenata posted:

even free healthcare comes with a system like government backup

This is actually common misconception (even in countries with public health care). It's not actually free. You pay for it monthly with your taxes. It's able to be "free" and available to "anyone" and let you have relatively expensive surgeries for "free", because you actually pay for it. The way it works is that by getting a little bit from everyone they get a huge sum that then they can spend on all the medical treatments everyone is using. So for example, if you never go to doctor, you literally pay for everyone's else right to use it. So often the ones that go to doctors the most and get all those operations are older people. Also because anyone can register for visit or surgery (as long as it's covered and you don't need to pay extra) you can often wait very long time, even a year or two, because since a lot of people use those and there's not enough doctors (entirely our system fault for not hiring more) you can do it for free, but sometime you'll need to wait months. And even "anyone" is not true. It's anyone who is currently paying taxes, or more specifically, pays for our public health care (which is usually taken care off for you if you're working or are assigned to some welfare system or w/e). If you don't have it, you'll be charged money for everything. It's true in cases of emergency they are required to help regardless, but you might still be charged for it later, even if it's not much. And it doesn't matter how much money you paid before that. You could be paying for 30 years in a row, without a fault, but if you happen to not have work this month and don't gain public health in any other way, sucks to be you, you'll be paying for everything. So yes, it's not ideal, utopian system that solves all the issues and still needs a lot of work and literally asks you for money to save your life. Even if that amount is admittedly much smaller than what alchemist girl asked for, but that's private health insurance for you. You need to offset costs of entire procedure by yourself.

last edited at Oct 20, 2022 7:01PM

Nevri Uploader
Anime season 20 Oct 18:29
Nearl%202
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

protectmomo posted:

You think you've seen it all when it comes to problematic anime, and they still find new ways to surprise you. The third episode of this season's alchemist anime was gross. They bring not!Ryza a patient with a severed arm and she really has the gall to say "I can save her life... if you're loaded". Not only that, but when they protest the vulgarity of her actions, she literally stops what she's doing and instead of treating the patient (WHO IS MISSING AN ARM) goes into a freaking lecture justifying putting a monetary value on life. How does an author arrive at such a fundamentally vile worldview, to the point of feeling they have something insightful to contribute to society by soapboxing about it in their story?

Look. I totally agree with you that life is more important than money and saving life should be put above anything else by default. That's why I hate to break it to you that, the way this show acts is how our society is already working.

In our capitalism system money is everything and money is definitely 100% more important than life. You can't live off saving people for free. Our system doesn't allow it and doesn't care if you're doing good. It only cares w/e or not you bring money to it.

MC actually does bring up a good point in defending her demands. They are adventures ready to risk their life for monetary gain. Her point was that what she's doing is no different. She also works her job to afford to live, so she can't just not get paid for it. What exactly are alchemist in this show isn't entirely clear, apparently, not only they make potions, but can also fight, presumably to gather ingredients for better potions and can even easily heal people using their alchemy, so saying that "saving lives isn't her main job" might not even be accurate.

Either way...

protectmomo posted:

Not that she should do it for free, but nonetheless she should just do it, period, and worry about recouping her losses after the fact. That said, when it comes to literally saving a life, it honestly is something she could afford to do for free. Her day-to-day business involves selling potions, not healing, so it's not like she's providing all of her services for free by saving somebody in an emergency.

You see it's something you keep bringing up and I feel like you're vastly misunderstand it. Being taken care off is not the same thing as being rich. Are you saying that orphans that get raised in orphanages are "rich", because all their basic necessities were taken care off and they were allowed to go to school? Are you seriously advocate to remove welfare systems because it makes people "rich and get free stuff"?

Even the supposedly nice benefactor of her teacher kinda forced her to literally save all her money just so she can buy the set of alchemy books for a slightly better price. She literally went bankrupt by doing so, which I thought was clearly hammered out in the first episode. If she was so "rich" or given all for "free" surly this super nice and helpful master of her would just give her them for free or like let her buy it for a half a price or something to let her keep some money. On top of that the "free mansion" she got was also clearly framed as her kinda getting scammed. It's in some forgotten part of the country and house is in terrible state. I admit the whole fixer gem or w/e did seem like that issue just simply went away, but she still said she needs to make repairs to her room so idk.

And about people being nice and friendly to her, that's country folks for you. It's not being "rich and/or privilege" but making connections and people being good people. We were supposed to see it as the wholesome moment that our hard-working girl that became alchemist entirely by her hard work is now being rewarded in life for it. Either way I really can't see how you can even hate that part, but now onto the other thing.

So you keep saying how she has no expenses and that she got those potions for free. Well yes and no. She technically got the mansion for "free" from her master, but remember it's now her place of work. Even if she lucked out and got some stuff in there already, she can't really afford to just give it away for free. That's the way she earns money. If she doesn't earn money with it, not only she won't have money to buy food, she won't have money to keep her shop open. As already pointed out, you act as if all ingredients are treated equally. Of course you have some common ones that you can harvest easily/anytime, but then there are the more rare ones or those she needs to go and hunt from monster, putting her life on the line. When her assistant was bringing potions, she asked if they're using the low cost one or expensive one, implying that the one that allowed to heal girl to full is harder to make and has more value. She probably don't have a lot of them laying around, so you can't expect her to just keep going around making them just in case she needs to heal someone for free, because she's now spending her time and effort on something she's has no monetary gain from, while not working on other stuff. And again remember, unlike some prospering city, she's literally at some forgotten village, how many sell opportunities do you think she'll get daily? Sure, it's cruel we need to prioritize working and feeding yourself first, before anything else, but that's how our world already works.

Well, if you set aside the fact that she never mentioned a price and then sprung that it was several years of lowly peasant adventurer income after the fact...

Except she did. She didn't give the number, but she said she can either provide much cheaper first aid or much more expensive full restoration.

This in fact seems to be something that happens all the time in our world. Especially USA, which I'm not even living in, constantly has people having to pay for all the health procedure and often ending up taking debts etc. just to keep their health from falling apart. I know it's not real life example but in episode of Dr. House there was exactly this kind of dilemma. A woodworker accidentally cuts off his thumb and goes to hospital only for the bare minimum treatment, but a "nice" doctor decided to just put the thumb back on him, since he figured he'll need it and he was doing a good thing. Of course the procedure costs money and woodworker sues hospital over it. The reason? He can't afford to pay it, he'd need to take a debt and so currently financially he prefers to not get his thumb back. In the end he's convinced it's for a better, cos as a woodworker he kinda needs it in the long run if he's to be able to earn money, but it's also pointed out that as much as you want to be able to do those things for free, shit costs money. You need to spend years teaching doctors how to perform those surgeries and pay them for their work. You can't just go and say "sure, just have this one for free, life is more important!". It's unfair and not how world should work, but that's the sad reality of one we're living in.

And it goes to pharmaceutics and meds as well. Meds are expensive and outside of few rare cases people need to spend a lot of money on medicament that they literally need to live. Or stuff like treatment for cancer. You still need to pay for this shit. I live in country with public care system and I can tell you from first hand experience, it's not all roses as well. There's a lot issues with it, which I admit probably are more issues with how our specific one is run, but nonetheless, there's plenty of stuff you can get and treated for free, but most of actually expensive surgeries etc are not. Very often, especially if it's something more niche, the insurance won't cover it. You barely get paid if you have accident at work and in general people often end up just paying for private clinics, cos it's faster and often better.

We live in a society that requires pharmaceutical companies to earn money. You have different ones making basically the same med so they can try selling theirs, meanwhile rare disease that less or handful of people suffer from are forgotten, because "there's not enough market for it". Where research for example in curing cancer can be seen as not financially viable, because there's not enough people suffering from it (and paying for medicament brings more money anyway). We already live in capitalism utopia where you're supposed to spend your entire live working and bringing money to the system and if you can't you'll be immediately discarded. And before you complain about bringing all that stuff up, you started it.

And I don't even like that anime much myself. I found many things that didn't work for me and in general it just simply didn't really catch my interest. I agree it's pretty mediocre overall. But you're really simply overreacting to it.

And it's incredibly funny coming from someone who unironically enjoyed Birdie Wing. A anime entirely setup on unfair wealth gap that doesn't actually do anything about it and in fact one of its main character is a privileged, pampered girl that never experienced any hardships and looks down on other girl for playing golf for money "tainting" it. And after mocking her for that, not only she wins, because she's both talented and had all the care in the world put into her training, but also forces MC to sell herself more into the society of corrupted golf players in order to have a rematch with her. When you know. She had all the power and money to simply arrange another match with MC again. She didn't even ask her for contact info. Not to mention she didn't give 2 shits about Eve actually having to get money to keep her orphanage save, which is again something rich girl could easily solve with her money, but to her golf is all that matters. You don't really mind all that, but go all angry over some "just out of college girl with social anxiety" for daring to ask to be paid for doing her fucking job?

last edited at Oct 20, 2022 6:45PM

Nevri Uploader
Nearl%202
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

ChikyuuNeko posted:

Psychologically, this feeling is likely caused by Xingyuan's own past where she's been made to feel like an outsider due to her "abnormal" sexuality, so this mode of living has become permanent for her, making it hard to perceive herself as anything but a permanent outsider even if the people around her seem keen on making her a part of their community (as Mr Wang does) or when her "impure" feelings towards a girl are actually (rather transparently) reciprocated.

So to cut a long story short, whilst a homophobic environment certainly seems to be the root cause for Xingyuan's insecurities, this story isn't a simple "I like this girl, oh no that's bad I shouldn't do that" story but rather a story about the psychological impact of homophobia. It's about a girl who through no fault of her own was cut off from her roots, most evident in being literally cut off from her family and whose now drifting about without a sense of belonging, alienated not only from the world around her but ultimately from herself as well.

So it's not about how psychological damage caused by homophobia affects you, but rather a story exploring how psychological damage caused by homophobia affects you. Did I got that right?

last edited at Oct 19, 2022 8:23AM

Nevri Uploader
Nearl%202
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I'm not sure how much I like story introducing Xingyuan's traumatic past. On 1 hand, it perfectly makes sense and explains why she doesn't stay in 1 place for long and prefers to move around, but on the other hand I really enjoyed their flirting, but now that we got the whole classical "being homo is disgusting, if she finds out, she'll surly end up hating me, I need to kill any feelings I potentially could have for her", which I saw so many times already. I'm afraid the entire story will draw to a halt and we'll spend next 10-20 chapters on Xiaoen trying to convince Xingyuan that being raging lesbian is good actually, which is totally not what story sold me on initially.

last edited at Oct 17, 2022 5:53PM

Nevri Uploader
Nearl%202
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Zormau posted:

Sometimes you come across a specific author whose output almost consistently appeals to you.

Och, yes. Definitely.

I trawl through a lot of porn whenever I consume for utility because, as you said, 95-99% of it is garbage to me for one reason or another, so for one "session" I sometimes end up skimming ten or more manga from my filtered list which had at least some appeal in their cover art. Usually it's not more than one or two of even those that genuinely work out.

Same, same. Sometimes it can take 30+ works to barely find like few that will do.

I think plot as in "story" isn't as relevant as characterization.

That's very good point!

DumShork posted:

My goal was never to stifle all attempts at understanding others, nor was it to offend anyone. On further reflection, I don't think my post needed to be made. Deleting, and I apologize.

Thank you. I deleted my respond to you from my post as well.

Nearl%202
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Zormau posted:

I just had a thought. Is there a Harem manga and/or anime wherein the main character is not the center of the harem, but a part of it instead? (Het, Yuri, Yaoi, doesn't matter)

Sorry for late reply. Only one I'm familiar with is this one. Can't really comment much on its quality, cos there was too much things that were rubbing me the wrong way, so I stopped reading it relatively fast.

last edited at Oct 17, 2022 3:45AM

Nevri Uploader
Nearl%202
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I think I share a lot similar feelings with Zormau. For starters I can't bring myself to read porn of characters I actually like (I mean those "faceless men raping X character" etc. ones). Seeing character I actually like in situations like that is upsetting for me and in some way "damages" my impression of them. It'd just become part of my understanding of them. I wouldn't be able to simply ignore what I saw and keep enjoying engaging with whatever that character came from and not constantly remembering what I saw in porn.

On the other hand if I don't know character or don't care about them, I can read even the worst kind of porn possible about them and not bat a eye. I was able to bend this rule sometimes, but in general the more I care about character, the higher standards I have for what kind of porn I'm willing to read with them.

Generally I prefer character to be IC and it definitely improves the experience, but depending of quality of given work I can overlook them even acting very OOC as long as the story is worth it.

My relationship with porn is very complicated, but in general if I'm looking for something specific or just want to get aroused (often I'm looking for something specific, because I know it'll get me aroused), I can forgive a lot and often outright ignore any plot or problematic elements as long as it gets the job done. Work not being translated often helps in that regard. That being said doing it this way often feel very "brute-force-y", as in I'm just looking for anything that'll work and it often requires going through tones of porn that is simply not it. Sometimes it feels like I'd get better results just looking through images instead.

That's why there are moments when I actually do prefer when work is translated, because sometimes dialogue etc. can actually enhance the experience. For example it's hard to talk about good sub x dom porn, when you can't really understand their banter. This though often ends up being more counterproductive than you'd think. When I'm in "utility" mode I truly can read some absolute garbage and not really care what happens to characters etc. as long as it'll get me off, but when I actually start to read dialogue often something very annoying happens. I actually start to care about characters and their well being and then ignoring all the bad shit that's happening to them is becoming harder and harder. Sometimes I'm able to reconcile the two, but often mental gymnastic become too taxing and it just ends up turning me off to entire thing.

That being said, by all means if you do happen to find something that's written well and doesn't clash with any of your sensibilities, then you found yourself a goldmine (or should I say... a fountain). The issue is that... 99% of porn is garbage ;v

Hoden86 posted:

Do the people who enjoy that one look past how shit it actually is because they masturbate to it or is it normal to expect a bad story from any NSFW manga and people like me are the outlier?

I feel like I already answered the first one. As for second... I wouldn't say you should expect NSFW manga to be bad, but... they just very often are. Most of the time the focus of porn is simply to arouse you and/or draw something that arouses author. Plot very rarely is seen as important part, so most of the time it turns out either very generic or very badly written. And most stuff that got more of a plot are very fucked up NTR and what not anyway. That's just the reality of porn. It's not something that's written first and foremost to tell good story, it's written first and foremost to get 2 (or more) characters to fuck. And the more they fuck the better. I'd definitely say that wanting that type of NSFW works to have good story is a exception, rather than norm. That being said...

That's assuming we're talking about your standard porn. Another reason why just reading it for "utility" often feels like "brute-forcing" it (at least for me) is because I... actually don't like porn ;v To be more precises, the way most porn, especially its sex, is written is just not appealing to me. It's way over the top, too much fluids, characters acts like animals, the dialogue is cringe, it lasts way too long and most of the shots etc. just aren't sexy.

I found out I enjoy it much more when characters are established, we got a believable chemistry between them and then their sex feels actually at least somewhat realistic and focuses more on characters experiencing pleasure rather than drawing as many weird poses and closes ups on pussies etc. as reader could want to arouse them. There's a issue with that though. When work actually gets me invested in characters and what's going on I stop seeing it as porn. I just see it as normal yuri story with sex in it. Which also means I no longer see it as something to use as "utility", even if compare to other porn, it's actually hot. Sadly even disregarding that, finding good erotica out there is just incredibly hard. Most people simply don't draw/write good sex scenes.

Hoden86 posted:

Sorry for the unhinged rant, but I really wanted to get this off my chest. I posted this here instead of on the thread of the actual manga because I think it goes quite off topic, sorry if this was a mistake.

Nah, it's fine! I think it's normal to feel alienated when everyone seems to be enjoying something just fine that you simply can't get into. Happened to me many times. I also think it's perfectly normal and understandable to want to try discuss and understand it so you can understand where people are coming from and why it might not work for you!

last edited at Oct 17, 2022 10:02AM

Nevri Uploader
Anime season 25 Sep 06:43
Nearl%202
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Kabu- posted:

I think the meaning of the term "Yuri bait" should change as time goes by. In the year 2022, I completely understand if some people say that a series like Lycoris Recoil is bait. To use that term only for when the protagonists end up in a heterosexual relationship would be setting the bar way too low.

Just to be clear. For me it's not just "they're not dating men", but also them never showing interest in men, them never being confirmed being straight, no male character being introduced as potential love interest and in general show not contradicting they are lesbians in any way or assuring that it could never happen. It was nothing like Hibike, which was insult to lgbt+ people everywhere, because director made it yuri bait on purpose because "she likes the aesthetic of strong emotional bonds". To me at least the show takes their relationship seriously and never tries to mislead you about its nature.

Maybe I'm naive, but the only reason I'm unwilling to assume "not confirmed relationship = bait" is simply, because I still believe there can exist well done subtle relationships that are never outright stated, but nonetheless still a clear text of the work aka true subtext and not just bait. It's unfortunate yuri (and other lgbt+ works) have a long history of giving them a plausible deniability to not alienate straight audience and maybe unless we start getting tones of mainstream works that confirms them, only then this kind of subtext can again be given the benefit of the doubt and not automatically assume the worst of creators motives, but I'm just not willing to give up completely on it just yet.

Hylarn posted:

I mean, the trailer did have everyone talking up the Doctor

It's because of the framing device of the game. The Doctor is missing and game starts with rescue operation to bring them back, after Rhodes Island finally located them. The reason Doctor is so important is because they're the main tactician (as it's strategic tower defense game) of RI, but also they're one of the best scientist with vast medical and environmental knowledge and was actively working on curing Oripathy (made up disease of the world, basically magic cancer) so that's why everyone care so much about them, but it almost never goes beyond respect for their abilities. In fact from very few snippets of their pre-amnesia past we got, it's actually revealed that Doctor used to be merciless and ruthless, not afraid to sacrificing operators if needed to finish the mission, so at least pre-amnesia they didn't exactly make for a great partner material. As I said, they're never center of attention in story and almost all characters interactions are purely professional.

last edited at Sep 25, 2022 6:49AM

Nevri Uploader
Anime season 24 Sep 20:57
Nearl%202
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Finished RWBY: Ice Queendom and it was good. Could complain about thing or two, but honestly what held this show back the most, was the writing of OG series, because despite doing very good job at fixing a lot of mistakes, it just highlighted how rushed the OG story is. The story was all about learning about true feelings of one another, but it'd work much better if it happened after we already spend some times with those character, got to know them and most importantly, they got to know each other. Because entire set-up is just the first 3 episodes of pretty much retelling of OG plot from season 1, it instead feels like they only know each other like a week, but everyone acts as if they're those very close friends that already spend a lot of time together. That being said, the writing of their interactions and chemistry is so good and just really made me wish that OG series was written by those people instead.

Only thing I have to say I was really disappointed in is animation. They really got me hyped with those 3 incredible high quality moments in first 3 episodes, but outside of like 2-3 times near the end, it never really got close to that level again. In fact, in some places animation really felt lackluster and sometimes even dropping to "WTF is that?" levels. Still, despite all that, I did enjoy this show quite a lot and if they'd decided to make season 2 of it, I'd be all for it.

Hylarn posted:

So, uh, Arknights anime in about a month. The player-character stand-in here is... probably intended to be androgynous, but has a female seiyuu

Not familiar enough with the game to say much beyond that, though

Game goes out of its way to not mention gender of "Doctor" and they're always clothed top to bottom. They even got amnesia, for perfect self-insert character. Personally I think game pulled it off very poorly (it gets a little better later) and it kinda ends up hurting the game more, so some of the best moments are actually when Doctor isn't present. That being said, I'm glad that it appears that instead of gendering Doctor for anime version, they stuck to trying keeping their gender (or lack thereof) ambiguous and it seems like they'll try to give them more personality and active role in the story. If they manage to do it well, it could really improve the story (where Doctor is present to be precise, because story overall is good). And yes, I'm pretty sure the voice is meant to be androgynous, as to me it totally sounds like it could be either a soft male voice or low female voice.

Lilisionnach posted:

I’m more curious if they will end up going the harem route or if they’ll actually let the characters have their own relations, i.e. Franka/Liskarm, Texas/Lappland, etcs, though I doubt there’ll be much in terms of romance.

I doubt there will be any harem etc. because game never forces all their characters to be in love with Doctor and instead let them just be themselves. And honestly the story doesn't really have time for romance anyway. It's very dark and serious story for the most part and there's very little levity in it. Romance is just not focus at all and even if we get something, it'll probably be kept to a subtext in the background. That being said, while personally I'm not going in expecting anything explicit, I wouldn't outright cross possibility we could get something more either, as there's at least 1 canon lesbian operator in the game. She's a not really relevant 4 star with dead girlfriend in her backstory though, so you could argue she's just a token representation, but it's there and game do have a lot of chemistry between characters, even if nothing is ever confirmed.

Honestly I'm not sure how much of it is that they can't (or aren't allowed) to show it and how much it is just simply that it's not the focus of the story. In fact one of ships that people very clearly felt that they have the divorced couple feel (Saria and Silence) got a spin off backstory manga which have them openly flirting and Silence is literally acting as a maiden in love trying to win Saria over. Words "I like/love you" never are said, but reading it as something else than them being attracted to each other and getting closer, but later having a falling out is impossible. If they allowed for something like that to appear in official manga, then to me it says that they're not really against making blatant subtext, that's meant to be canon.

All in all, whatever we get anything or not, it's not anime you watch for romance. You watch it for amazing characters, very complex political story and deep world-building. Also anime fights. Lots of anime fights. And it's not happy story. Despite it being a fantasy world that's very different from ours, it often feels exactly like ours. It's full of injustice and exploitation, good people, bad people and just normal people who simply try to live their day to day lives in peace. If you're not in mood or in bad place in live, it can actually be very upsetting to watch at times, so I really only recommend it to people who are ready for that and don't mind some very heavy themes of discrimination in their fiction.

Also one of strong points of Arknights is that it has a very varied cast that isn't full of overly sexualized girls in skimpy cloths. Developers treat their characters with respect and in fact the way characters dress and the way their skins look are very tasteful and often look like something you might want to wear yourself.

protectmomo posted:

Lycoris Recoil finale
fucking yuri bait

Chisato/Takina dynamic was the only thing this terrible anime had going for it so I watched til the end in the faint hope that it would redeem itself, but no. We can't have that. Oh, sure, we can have a homosexual male relationship, of course we can, but the schoolgirl main characters need to be ~available~ for the horny male demographic to fantasise about being their waifu. Just one fucking time I'd like to see a canon yuri relationship in a story that isn't explicitly about the yuri. I'm so fucking tired, I don't know why I even watch anime anymore.

I feel like that's being too harsh to show. I get wanting confirmation and I get being burned with bait many times, but just because there wasn't confirmation, it's very hard to me to see this anime as bait. It was never romance to begin with and there's plenty of reasons why they could not want to get together yet/didn't consider it yet (being child assassins and all), but also nothing we saw in the show contradicts that they're indeed very close and could potentially date at some later date. The fact we do have a confirmed BL relationship, only confirms to me authors aren't afraid of confirming anything, it's just those girls are not there yet at this point. Overall all I think the show is amazing and since I never had expectation of them confirming anything, I'm perfectly fine with how the show ended, but through entire show it never felt like it's baiting me, but actually shows me a meaningful relationship between the 2 mains, w/e it'll eventually lead to them dating or not. I understand where you're coming from and I'd want to see more anime with lesbian main characters not focused on romance (but also any more yuri romances) as well, but I really enjoyed this one and had a great time, so I can't fault it too much.

Also idk if it's just me but the joke at the end with guy saying in japanese "Are you Chisato?" and Mizuki replying in english "I don't speak english" had me rolling, because that's exactly how those conversation with japanese usually go. Even if you speak fluent japanese to someone in Japan, if they consider you a foreign, they'll try talking to you in english and would tell you "I don't speak english", because "you're a american (all foreigners are americans by default), so obviously I need to talk to you in english, because you speak english and don't understand japanese!".

EDIT/ Damn. How I could forget! There was entire event where Doctor and few operators were traveling in airship and 1 character shot it down with a freaking rocket launcher and then stolen their engine, because she was crazy in love with one operator that leaved their tribe, so she wanted to do everything to make sure she'd stay in the village forever and she got all her ideas of romance from trashy romance novels. She even explicitly told her that she "loves her more than anyone" during event, but sadly other girl only sees her as younger sister.

last edited at Sep 24, 2022 9:40PM

Nevri Uploader
Nearl%202
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Blastaar posted:

I still think this is much ado about nothing, both in this series and in others. This shibboleth of relationships being tainted by “ulterior motives” seems to be based on a highly abstract notion of “healthiness”—so what exactly counts as an “ulterior” motive? People enter into relationships (not just romantic, but also friendships, acquaintances, etc.) for all sorts of motives, and those motives habitually change as the people get to know each other.

Isn't that simply about her feeling guilty and bad about it? Like sure having ulterior motives might not always be bad or needing apologizing, but if it keeps nagging you and you want to come clean and seek forgiveness, then sure, why not. All in all I just can't see characters actually talking stuff out and communicating with each other as something bad or pointless.

Nearl%202
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Well, that was a thing.

Nevri Uploader
Anime season 27 Aug 16:00
Nearl%202
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Pingoloco posted:

Lycoris Recoil Well, So much for the people that were hoping that this would be Yuri, lol

I mean it's tragic, but still homo af. As long as they keep their chemistry the same and don't introduce any random boy male interest, then I'm perfectly fine with that, even without confirmation. I'd prefer them to keep it as a very intimate friendship, borderlines on yuri than ruin it like in Hibike. Also this episode in fact increased my hope as we got pretty much confirmed gay couple. Also I would be really surprised if they didn't actually ended it with new heart capable of saving Chitose being invented, as actually killing her off sounds like a much bolder move than saving her last minute. Then again if they went for that, I'd still respect them for doing that as it'd just turn it into yuri with tragic ending.

last edited at Aug 27, 2022 4:01PM

Nearl%202
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Zormau posted:

Didn't Patreon (and by extension PayPal) once declare that any anime/manga style characters would be considered underage?

Never heard of it, but if they indeed said so, then it's retarded af.

Nevri Uploader
Liberta discussion 26 Aug 09:06
Nearl%202
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I kinda feel like it'll go for different trope. The "Liberta's linage or w/e is very strong, so Komori's default power is higher than other characters without training", but hard part is figuring out how to use her powers to defend herself. So I think Komori can definitely defeat them, but she'll struggle to do so as she has less experience than them. The "if I put my mind into it, I can do it" line of thinking. Or who knows, she might just activate "plot armor bloodline" and one-shot them. I wouldn't be surprised by it either.

About tail, I kinda feel like while other blood weapons are indeed just manipulated blood and can be canceled at any point, I'm kinda getting the impression that while she don't need to have her tail and wings all the time, they're still definitely part of her body and once caught, she can't simply get rid of them, without permanently losing it, which she might go for, but if she lost her tail so fast, it'd be a real shame.

Nearl%202
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Serenata posted:

to see if it's safe and not showing any underage character.

Tbf(air), 90% of yuri is 2 high school girls, often fucking, so by definition they're underaged characters hence loli porn for pedos, so that'd make sense.

But you can say fuck, naked, sex, nsfw or whatever and that's okay? (of course you have to set your account content to adult first, but even with this configuration, the word yuri is dangerous) so is like, they associate the word yuri with loli stuff... And I find that quite strange.

More seriously though, since I don't use patreon I can't tell you how much it's connected, but I remember that there was a complain that patreon treats all lgbt+ stuff as adult content by default and switches your account to 18+, so it could be related to that, but from what you're saying it's something more than just being treated like a adult content.

Nevri Uploader
Nearl%202
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

minuske posted:

hello does anyone know what this yuri manga is called it starts with the mc who loves her bestfriend but her bestfriend loves this guy and the guy loves the mc. i think at some point the mc confesses to her bestfriend in a classroom but then passes it off as a joke

Only one that comes to mind.

Nearl%202
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I remember it being shared here before. Not sure why share it in the first place since it's obvious bs.

Nevri Uploader
Nearl%202
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

--__Rain__-- posted:

I got obsessed with those- any good yandere yuri stuff ? I like the ones where the yandere is ultra protective of her love interest and will never hurt them ^^

Happy Sugar Life comes first to mind, though fair warning, it doesn't have happy ending. Also in future you can use this thread to ask for recommendations.

Nevri Uploader
Nearl%202
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Pyrii posted:

Only if you have that option enabled. I turned it off because deleting them after was a PITA.

Och, sure. Can't help you more then ;/

Nevri Uploader
Nearl%202
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Pyrii posted:

I definately would like a page to see subscribed chapter somewhere since E-mails continue to fail which means I'm missing out on uipdates to series I really enjoy.

New chapters of series you're subscribed to should be automatically added to "To read" default list in Lists menu.

Nevri Uploader
Nearl%202
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

blureading posted:

Thanks so much to both of you who explained it so clearly. Now I am clear on the difference between "recently released" and "recently added." This also clarifies the dates next to chapters released as well. This was much needed, thank you Nevri and Yuki Kitsune :D

Sure, np! You're welcome ;3