Forum › Posts by Nevri

Nevri
Shizuku
joined Jun 5, 2015

Fairypixie24 posted:

You're most likely right, Rose, about how to deal with these inconveniences: time if valuable, don't waste it on people who don't want to listen.

Said the person who doesn't even bother to read posts responding to them on the basic of "it's probably boring and wrong". Especially since White Rose's summary is wrong and biased. Now that's one hell of a echo chamber.

Nevri
Shizuku
joined Jun 5, 2015

johnb posted:

Sweet Christmas it took about ten posts for one of you to simply point out, "You missed the joke writen in the margins" Then you take a victory lap like you got me to give up on something profoundly stupid, like flat earth theory.

I'm sorry, but BugDevil is right.

johnb posted:

I totally missed the bit at the side of the page. I thought people were inferring Hino's stupidity was ending the series prematurely, simply because the title of the chapter was "The End."
Now that I know I missed the actual joke. As in I didn't see it.

No. You did not miss it as in "I didn't see it." You didn't get it at all and made a fool of yourself arguing with everyone. That thing at the margins, with "editorial" telling you to look for author's next work? That part is the least relevant. No. The title of the chapter wasn't "The End". That was the freaking joke. Do you read manga since like yesterday? At the end of the chapter they will usually write "to be continue" or "the end" (or something similar) depending whatever this was the last chapter or not. When the series is ending, they very often also add the title of the series, so "Hino-san no Baka * The End". The joke that went over your head was that, that panel was supposed to look like series has ended. The premise of the manga is "Kogume is trying to get Hino to attend classes, so they are together" therefore "If Hino is held back, they won't be in the same class anymore, so Kogume has to make Hino study in order to not let that happen". It's classic set up for "study session". But then Hino subverts it by flat out stating "there's no way in hell I'll study" meaning series arrived at the dead end and there's no way to progress it anymore, so only logical conclusion is to ending it. Therefore the punchline of the joke was the "Hino-san no Baka * The End". The thing at the margins was just supposed to make it look even more like a last page. It was just a follow up to a joke, not the whole joke itself.

Man, it's not the first time you're acting completely spoiled and demanding everything to be given to you on the silver platter.

last edited at May 22, 2019 6:40AM

Shizuku
joined Jun 5, 2015

Because of mess that's my real life, I wasn't posting much here in a while. That doesn't mean I wasn't recording stuff. In fact I had a lot videos I didn't need to edit and even uploaded them to my channel as unlisted, but didn't have time and motivation to properly tag them, describe and find thumbnails, so they were waiting like that for months... Anyway, here is the stuff that you all (3 people who watch them) were missing all this time!

https://youtu.be/2j0H96Zx_Eg
https://youtu.be/igSexwP69YM
https://youtu.be/J7S_IuATr2U
https://youtu.be/z66jYME5ocg
https://youtu.be/roTjIqQ69fk
https://youtu.be/EBlwiFCCG7E
https://youtu.be/3Fe5gVnPfz0
https://youtu.be/RkxLHldjt1g
https://youtu.be/6Azlc4h1i9E
https://youtu.be/Qq6jVa8JxGE
https://youtu.be/kO5YLXSPkKw
https://youtu.be/1aWCvZe6Nno

Nevri
Shizuku
joined Jun 5, 2015

Blastaar posted:

So saying she only did it because of fetish is ignoring the context of the scene.

“Ignoring context” is a way of life around here.

Touche

Nevri
Shizuku
joined Jun 5, 2015

RPPuzzle posted:

I don't get how she could actually just stand there and not go wait by the sink.

Well, the point was that Hino had to go in with her because they agreed to hold hands until getting to the classroom. If they separate for Hino to wait by the sink, at this point there was no reason for her to go with Koguma to the toilet in the first place. So saying she only did it because of fetish is ignoring the context of the scene.

last edited at May 19, 2019 8:39AM

Nevri
VAMPEERZ discussion 19 May 08:02
Shizuku
joined Jun 5, 2015

BugDevil posted:

Well I think the issue would be somewhat lessened if everyone was immortal, not just you. When I think about immortality, I think about one we all would reach with science, not just individual person.

Thing is that stories barely ever go that direction. Like this one, vampires are usually the exception.

I meant when people discuss how being immortal would suck, they think about only them being immortal. I think about it in context of entire mankind reaching immortality or at least eternal youth, Only death by accident or murder. Then the whole "constantly losing everyone and feeling like I don't belong" is no longer a issue.

Nevri
VAMPEERZ discussion 18 May 23:18
Shizuku
joined Jun 5, 2015

Well I think the issue would be somewhat lessened if everyone was immortal, not just you. When I think about immortality, I think about one we all would reach with science, not just individual person.

Nevri
VAMPEERZ discussion 17 May 09:50
Shizuku
joined Jun 5, 2015

Pyoro posted:

But it's not that vampire = night creature is an outrageous thought before then. They are in many mythologies corpses that return from the grave to do whatever it is they are doing (bloodsucking, frightening people, sexually harassing their surviving spouses... ^^) specifically at night; or creatures that basically pass as normal humans during the day or are otherwise absent/harmless during the day but not at night.

Also; there's plenty of other mythological creatures that either are weakened by sunlight or can't appear during the day or whatnot.

So from there it was never a far step to "sunlight somehow harms them".

Nobody argues that it's wrong or doesn't make sense for them to be weak to sunlight. We're simply saying they originally did not have that weakness. So even though now most people associate that trait with them, it wasn't always the case and isn't as weird and against their nature, as people tend to think.

last edited at May 17, 2019 9:51AM

Nevri
VAMPEERZ discussion 16 May 14:09
Shizuku
joined Jun 5, 2015

Alice Cheshire posted:

Pyoro posted:

Also, why don't these vampire manga never have proper vampires? Walking around in daylight? Eating?! Come on ...

I don't recall about eating but in Carmilla, which predates Dracula by 20 years, the eponymous vampire can handle sunlight just fine, she merely doesn't like it. And from what I recall, crosses and religious imagery were much the same. (And religious hymns hurt her ears but didn't actually harm her.)

From what I know original Dracula wasn't affected by sunlight as well. It was something that was added later.

Nevri
Image Comments 15 May 16:03
Shizuku
joined Jun 5, 2015
74221218_p0

Probably Jeanne?

Nevri
Wicked Girl discussion 15 May 14:01
Shizuku
joined Jun 5, 2015

grinseb posted:

The trope’s general idea is that “badness” is attractive and the sentient of “I will change her” (sensei literally think this - check her thought bubbles to see) is appealing. In other works, this is glorified or resulted in Stockholm syndrome, or end terribly with the mc failing to change their love interest. We never consider what happen when one succeed?

Em, what? This trope is all over Hollywood and it always ends with girl changing guy for the better. Which is totally unrealistic and instead what should happen is exactly what you wrote.

Nevri
Bondage discussion 15 May 10:50
Shizuku
joined Jun 5, 2015

runrin posted:

The major character death tag in particular seems like it would be an absolutely massive spoiler in any applicable story.

I think tags for suicide are just a bit too specific and will spoil the story to some degree.

it's my opinion that the inconvenience of having a story spoiled is significantly less difficult than the pain of reading a story with something that could cause a mental break down.

kind of annoyed vs. potentially dangerous mental health situation

there are tags like this on ao3 and no one seems to mind. maybe just a nsfl tag would do? marking it as something that could potentially bring up some real bad stuff?

i'm not trying to ruin anyone's story. nor am i saying "you have to change this!" i just know a few people who might have read this if i didn't do so first, and that this could cause some serious pain for. throwing out a few ideas to see if people might agree/want this too.

Trigger Warning

I'm not making fun of you. That's pretty much what you're asking for. I do agree with Looking East, angst + drama should be enough already though. Only other way is just avoiding reading anything really. Also spoilers and what ruin story for someone and what not is really subjective, so there's no universal line that works for everyone.

I guess, Depressing as fuck could work as alternative as well? I remembered in one chapter of Neeko there was a warning, but it was made by scanlators.

last edited at May 15, 2019 10:51AM

Nevri
Shizuku
joined Jun 5, 2015

BugDevil posted:

When Citrus was good? Maybe it's me that's from a parallel universe...

Well, let's be fair. Citrus had potential. First 2 volumes or so were good. It just went downhill really fast.

last edited at May 15, 2019 10:19AM

Nevri
Image Comments 13 May 11:39
Shizuku
joined Jun 5, 2015
74221218_p0

It's not hard when you disable all the annoying debuffs. Try it without KP or just with WHIP and then try to say it's easy. I did it with Zhuge, Bride and Tamamo.

Nevri
Image Comments 10 May 22:50
Shizuku
joined Jun 5, 2015
6yt6jie

Well I guess it's true Tomoko doesn't have balls...

Nevri
Shizuku
joined Jun 5, 2015

I'm seriously lost what "Me and other people find some elements of this story uncomfortable and our feelings shouldn't be dismissed" (which I agree with) have to do with "They don't exist, therefore my hurt feelings are more important than theirs" bs.

Nevri
Shizuku
joined Jun 5, 2015

majere posted:

Koguma is not a real person therefore her feelings have no bearing on ethical considerations outside the text.

Not everyone consumes fiction this way, nor are they obligated to or should do so in this way.

Prioritizing the feelings of fictional characters that do not in fact have feelings over those of real people is delusional. Empathizing with them within the context of their stories? Perfectly reasonable and part of the point of stories. Thinking they have the same ethical standing as actual people in a real world context? Psychologically unwell.

I actually agree with your arguments in general, but then you go and write this sort of crap...

Shizuku
joined Jun 5, 2015

AnAsianBrony posted:

Wow, I didn't know there was a Discord until I saw this post haha. You'd think they would put up a sticky or some--

my b

Yea. You would.

Nevri
Shizuku
joined Jun 5, 2015

glemoyn posted:

Im trying to find a series that I read a while ago. This is a series where all men died out and the remaining women are going to a school where some are in the Male section and the others are in the Female section. The MCs are two from the Male section.

This.

Nevri
Shizuku
joined Jun 5, 2015

juanelric posted:

I hate One Piece fansubs because they refuse to translate nakama.

But there's no word in english that comes even close to the deep meaning word nakama has!

Comrade

Shizuku
joined Jun 5, 2015

TifalovesAerith posted:

Quiescent-Rose posted:

This is weird, it feels more like an original manga than a translated one. Maybe it’s the dialogue — it feels kinda western.

Sexy Akiba Detectives heavily localize their translations. It's probably because of that.

Nothing wrong with that, this translation it's awesome, you want more Japanese-ish read the original ...

I was simply saying why they could feel that dialogue feels western.

Shizuku
joined Jun 5, 2015

BugDevil posted:

death of the author.

Please don't use that phrase like it constitutes an argument...

Good thing it's a fact, not argument.

Are you seriously going to claim that an essay written by one person from over 50 years ago is the universally accepted truth? Well okay then. You may follow Barthe's principles, but not everyone should. It's a one-sided view of literary works.

Well it depends how you look at it. I actually used to think death of the author is just a lazy way to ignore what author is saying and make up your own interpretation. But turns out it isn't like that and most people simply misunderstand what the idea is actually about. It's not about disregarding author completely, but rather, what they say about their work has no more value than what anyone else says. Only thing that should matter is text. If author wanted something to be include in their work, it should be included in the text. Similarly if they didn't want something to be there, they shouldn't have put it there.

That being said, obviously author is person who know best what they work and intention is about. Most authors (cough J.K. Rowling cough) have good grasp of their work and can be good source of information about it. So most of the time, there's no real reason to not take their word into account. If you want to get better understanding of reasons and creative choices of something, you pretty much have to start looking into outside sources.

That's why I never said you're wrong for taking that interview seriously and basing your interpretation of the movie with it in mind. I actually only brought up death of the author, because in your previous post you worded it in a way that sounded like that interview completely invalidated possibility for yuri interpretation, so I wanted to give you a out, but in your next post you explained that you take authorial intent seriously and I respected that.

The point of death of the author is that instead blindly following author's word, you should be focusing more on actual text and making your own interpretations based mainly on it. If what author says is contradicted or not directly in the text, you have the option to disagree with them. You're free to listen, but you're not obligated to take their word as gospel. You shouldn't be required to do research on author's live or looking for their commentary etc. in order to understand what they wanted to convey and meaning behind their work. Everything you need should be present in the text. Also authors are humans too and they can make mistakes. Even If someone had intention to show a certain thing, they can still fail to properly express it in the text. And going back to Euphonium is a perfect example of it. Yamada said movie is no homo, but that in no way invalids reading it as homo, because the text she created, supports that interpretation. She is free to talk about what her intention was, but she has no control over what people will interpret from her work.

It might came out wrong, because it was the first time I ever used it in the conversation, so I had no clue how to react to uncertain's post, especially since their attitude was pretty rude too.

last edited at May 4, 2019 6:17PM

Shizuku
joined Jun 5, 2015

uncertain posted:

death of the author.

Please don't use that phrase like it constitutes an argument...

Good thing it's a fact, not argument.

Shizuku
joined Jun 5, 2015

Well what author says in outside source is irrelevant as per death of the author. At least in case of Liz to Ao Tori we can wholeheartedly discard what she said and interpret it on its own merit. So it isn't like her saying it made any yuri interpretations invalid. Doesn't make her approach to it any less shitty though. I mean "I'm making it look like yuri romance on purpose, but no homo" is not something you say to endear gay people to you.

last edited at May 4, 2019 2:36PM

Nevri
Shizuku
joined Jun 5, 2015

shadesofgreymoon posted:

I personally find that "dummy" or "twit" sparks joy for me, along with "dumbass". It all just depends on the situation...

Right, dummy is good too.