Forum › Yamada to Kase-san discussion

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

Fukami, sis, I hate to break it to ya, but you lost that war before you even started.

I'm pretty sure she saw the hickey (it was visible in every frame). So she might already know and that would explain her blurting out that confession. She's been aware something's been on for a while and yet she's continued down this path anyway.

Yeah, she couldn't have gone after a more lost cause than Kase

herenowforever
Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

Kase still doesn't see anything wrong with what she's done. She's even making fun of Yamada's reaction... And Fukami should have seen the hickey, but still doesn't reconsider anything and insted moves forward with her confession.

I thought I was reading Yamada to Kase-san, turns out I actually got lost in Kuzu no Honkai.

I'm not sure if this is a confession in the way you're talking about, as much as she's coming out to Kase, combined with an explanation why she's been so off for months.

Remember, Kase already told Fukami she's dating someone in chapter 20 (previously she though Kase had broken up). Same chapter where Fukami finally starts to realize she likes Kase as well, as she was thinking of how many girls seem to be fans of Kase.

last edited at Apr 3, 2023 4:55PM

joined Apr 19, 2019

I'm still pissed off at Kase san. She has been giving a lot of importance to Fukami...
It is difficult enough as it is to find a nice apartment in Tokyo with little money, and she just goes with Fukami's ridiculous request. Oh, but if she sees Yamada just talking with a boy she goes crazy.

last edited at Apr 3, 2023 6:34PM

joined Oct 30, 2018

A lot of these yuri stories these days have been mentally exhausting because of annoying characters etc, when will these authors set us free.

Kase still being a dumbass though, when is her development

last edited at Apr 3, 2023 6:12PM

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

I believe this is the part of the sitcom where the audience goes WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Cornonthekopp
D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Yeah I can't take Kase-san's side for this one. Doing this whole silly race thing where you gain nothing from it, for a roommate you've known for a year, which has directly harmed your relationship with your girlfriend of like, 3 years.... That's not okay.

Img_20220602_141642-min%20(1)%20(1)%20(1)
joined Feb 5, 2020

So your roommate is forcing you not move out, bunggling the chance for that nice apartment that you and your girlfriend already agreed on, causing strain on your relationship. Oh, and also, turns out she's in love with you.
...Kase? Think, Kase?? Make your brain useful and think of your GIRLFRIEND??????

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

So your roommate is forcing you not move out, bunggling the chance for that nice apartment that you and your girlfriend already agreed on, causing strain on your relationship. Oh, and also, turns out she's in love with you.
...Kase? Think, Kase?? Make your brain useful and think of your GIRLFRIEND??????

I agree with the gist of the anti-Kase remarks, but I tend to see this as a “writer fucked up with this arc idea” thing rather than a “Kase character flaw” problem.

Kase has been kind of a dolt about relationships and certainly has been overly jealous multiple times. But this whole “blow off our apartment-hunting—in one of the world’s toughest housing markets—because Fukami has a sad” business really makes no sense, in terms of Kase’s character traits or otherwise. It just seems like a stupid plot mechanic to get to Fukami’s profoundly doomed confession.

Maybe some more development of the athletic university’s culture to explain why the roommate thing mattered would have helped a little, but world-building has never been what this series has been about anyway.

joined Sep 22, 2021

I'm still pissed off at Kase san. She has been giving a lot of importance to Fukami...
It is difficult enough as it is to find a nice apartment in Tokyo with little money, and she just goes with Fukami's ridiculous request. Oh, but if she sees Yamada just talking with a boy she goes crazy.

She's so damn selfish this time, but of course this manga is a light-hearted so there's no way she'd just put their friendship off even after that confession and would continue to go along with it, solve thing out and move out anyway

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

I guess I count myself in the minority here because while I am annoyed at the whole Fukami business I do like how assertive Yamada is being in this chapter. She's finally opening up about all buried emotions she's been keeping in. And Kase seems into this empowered flower child which is nice to see. Also the Fukami confession if nothing else completely validates Yui's apprehension of her (If you recall the doubts that Yamada and Kase had for each other were unfounded)
Also, this is hot

joined Jan 14, 2020

A wild spine appears!
Two of them, even!
Now if Kase could just grow one...

joined Jan 15, 2023

This is a load of baaaarnicleees...

joined Aug 21, 2017

Somebody had to have called it.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Cute, devoted girlfriends come and go - they're "a dime a dozen" as the expression goes. But dorm roommates and fellow track team members are forever!

Annotation%202020-07-02%20193122
joined Apr 19, 2018

Cute, devoted girlfriends come and go - they're "a dime a dozen" as the expression goes. But dorm roommates and fellow track team members are forever!

Lady Kase is no simp, she would not fall for some devoted girlfriend. Track and room sharing is her religion.

20220125_003513
joined Jan 30, 2013

BANGS ON THE DOOR
goddammit kase San AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

Finally Yui got the guts to speak up for herself. Hopefully this starts some character growth for Kase.

Respect your girlfriend, lady. She's not a doormat.

joined Apr 17, 2017

The author is a woman.

Ah, yes, that explains the beard stubble on the author's avatar.

I mean you can be sarcastic all you want but Hiromi-sensei is a woman.

[citation needed]

I can find no actual source confirming this.

Erica Friedman's book, "By Your Side: The First 100 Years of Yuri Anime and Manga," repeatedly references Takashima being a woman. In a chapter about the Kase-San series Friedman describes meeting her.

. . .

Here's another series being invaded by a simply awful character, a sociopath who sucks the oxygen from the room. Fukami's style here is beyond declasse––it's at least subconsciously malicious, because Fukami knows Kase is dating someone, and she's a) never brought it up with Kase, and b) she won't let that little detail get in the way of her own confession, and its obvious attendant expectation of reciprocation. Fukami holes up inside her own, silent world, stewing about Kase, but never even trying to imagine Kase might have reasons for doing what she's doing. Her self-centered-ness goes way beyond any frustration I have with Kase's cluelessness. Fukami is actually almost completely insensitive to Kase's needs being independent of her own. It's almost as if Fukami believes they're already in a kind of a romantic relationship, in all but name––which is the main way, I think, to explain her irrational anger at Kase moving out. It's not "sadness" at Kase moving out––Fukami acts like a spurned lover, one with some sort of claim on Kase. This is as frustrating a character as Shiho in Whispering You a Love Song, but at least in this case, Kase and Yamada remain the characters the story is articulated around (and Fukami doesn't seem quite so out-of-step with the other characters in her comic as Shiho does to me).

Still, it'd be nice if the stakes of this confrontation for Kase were outlined a little clearer. It seems like this could have been a story in which Kase might opt to out herself to her teammates, in order to potentially win their sympathy for her situation––even though the risk would be alienation from this social unit (the track team)––a social unit which seems more suffocatingly restrictive by the chapter. This would enable her to win allies on the team that could help pry Fukami's miserable, gripping fingers off Kase's arm long enough that Kase could move out, without this dunderheaded race coming to fruition. This wouldn't have been a very happy storyline, as it would be awful to force Kase to make such a choice in this way––but a major thread for a while now has been how the track team's private huddle hamstrings Kase's attempts to be with Yamada (the whole summer break storyline keeps underlining this, and the way Kase's refusal to reveal her lover to her peers makes so many situations a problem for her), so that the theme could have been the socially restrictive aspect of that little microcosm, and Kase might have had to struggle against it a bit. It could even be a storyline in which the resolution wasn't entirely happy, or satisfying––maybe not everyone on the squad is willing to acknowledge the way Kase wants to live her life. But I feel like those are pretty realistic stakes for such a conflict. In Yamada's case, I feel like her challenges in the conflict are all relatively clear. But for Kase, it's hard to know how much of the conflict Kase even perceives. I suppose this could be the way the storyline resolves even yet, but if that's so, then the jealousy angle is a severe detour, and a road we've already been down a couple of times with these characters. As it is, the repetitiveness and the slowness of this plot to advance are both grating...as is the Fukami of it all.

last edited at Apr 4, 2023 4:20AM

Itwouldbe-yuriscans
joined Oct 30, 2018

This is the most unnecessary conflict in any manga I've read. (Probably an overstatement once I've gotten my mind stable after reading how ridiculous this is.)

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Sigh. Remember the time when Kase-san was still pure wholesomeness without stupidity-driven drama? I still do...

joined Aug 8, 2021

I'm so freaking tired of this manga. If ever, I wish Yamada to find someone. Idk, it feels like Kase really prioritizes her teammates/roommate Fukami than her girlfriend. This reminds me why I hate those "too" dense, kind, caring, whatever you call that character in mangas, webnovels, etc. I really hate them. Kase's really being insensitive. And to add that, she seems indecisive. I know that you cannot choose between career and lover(it should always be balanced) but she always gives me the feeling that any moment, she'll dump Yamada for her "track-and-field career". Heyyy, Kase, be careful with you attitude or else you'll be NTRed like Yuni did with Nanase AHAHAHAHA jk

last edited at Apr 4, 2023 5:09PM

joined Aug 8, 2021

I guess that in the next chapter, she'll be like "Ha? (Dumbfounded) what do you mean? Are you joking with me? Come on, be serious" AHAHAHAHAH

I'm so tired of this manga.

joined Sep 4, 2016

Sigh. Remember the time when Kase-san was still pure wholesomeness without stupidity-driven drama? I still do...

Pepperidge Farm remembers...

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

You mean, like this latest chapter?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Still, it'd be nice if the stakes of this confrontation for Kase were outlined a little clearer.

That’s what I was getting at with my “world-building” comment. Yes, the track-team uni has been shown to be rather stifling and something that takes Kase’s attention away from her relationship with Yamada, but without further anchoring in the storyworld, the idea of a teammate having some sort of say about their roommate moving out just seems preposterous. (It’s been established that Kase living off-campus is allowed by the school regulations, right?)

That why I tend to see this less as “the character behaving badly” and more as “the writer throwing the character under the bus for the sake of the plot.” Fukami crushing on Kase has been bubbling under for quite some time and (pure speculation here) I guess plot-wise it needed to get resolved before Kase and Yamada start their cohabitation life together.

And joining Kase under the bus is Fukami, whose romantic aspirations are at best pointless and at worst simply the occasion for more jealousy angst, this time by Yamada.

To reply you must either login or sign up.