Forum › Yamada to Kase-san discussion

Rx_5_50
joined May 3, 2016

Yamada have told her relationship to at less three people through out this whole series. Hope Kase have the balls to feel that confident in their relationship. Better yet to lessen this confusion say ‘im have a girlfriend’ or even better ‘Yamada is my girlfriend’. Not like it’s Fukami first time meeting yamada.

The scenario brewing in my head is that Kase will quickly reject Fukami. Fukami will misinterpret Kase's rejection as being because Kase is straight and dating a man, which will possibly lead into Kase "coming clean" to Fukami about her relationship with Yamada and expressing how much she loves Yamada. Which hopefully will make Fukami back the fuck off. But thats just me trying to will the conflict to be over as quickly as possible.

The Fukami stuff is the most interesting. I love the drama. I kind of skim through all the other stuff until something juicy happens.

joined May 2, 2019

Tl;dr What the hell has happened in the last three chapters? It's a mess

I'm finally caught up with the story. 99% of the manga has been fluffy and lighthearted and most of the discussions that took place here in the comments felt kinda over-exagerated to me. Yeah there were some minor hiccups here and there and it was a bit annoying to see Kase and Yamada "fight" because of misunderstanding and miscommunication, but it was never that big of a problem because it was always something that could be easily resolved without really breaking your suspension of disbelief and you could always be 100% sure that they would kiss, make up and keep going without any unnecessary angst.

This time it's different. I'm happy to see that basically everyone agrees on this. The last three chapters have been one huge, prolonged trainwreck. My only thought the whole time was simply "bruh".

I don't get it, the only logic explanation that comes to mind is that Kase and Yamada moving in together is the end game, because once you're living 24/7 with someone there's very little room for miscommunication and misunderstandings (which so far have been the major "drama generators" of the story), thus once we reach the end game no more drama can happen the story will simply end.

So, in order to avoid the end and prolong the story just a little bit the author has thrown in this weirdly contrived plot point. I can't come up with a different explanation.

Yamada should've been furious. Yeah she was mad and depressed about this whole thing, but it's because "Kase I'm actually jealous of this girl you barely know" instead of "Kase what the fuck are you doing? You've been talking about moving in together for months, even when I was still on the fence about it and now that I've made up my mind and literally found a nice place you do this?!?"

Kase could've ended all of this by saying "I'm moving in with my partner" and she wouldn't even have to explain that she's gay. Surely her room mate would understand that Kase can't love her back and that her "war" was already lost before it even started. Also, Kase understands that she messed up and that she upset Yamada, but still struggles to understand why Yamada suddenly started crying about it? Like, really? Bruh

Kase's senpai is an asshole because she knows basically everything about Kase's situation (about her and Yamada) and instead of stepping in and using her authority over the other girls to smooth things over she just eggs them on and escalates everything. She knows that Kase and Yamada had issues over stupid things in the past, why is she stirring shit up now?

Weirdly enough, Fukami is the one with least blame in my eyes. She COULD put two and two together and realize that Kase is moving in with her lover, but Kase talked about a generic "friend" and Fukami clearly wasn't thinking with her brain when she challenged Kase to a race. Also, once again, it's up to Kase to put her foot down and explain the situation, you can't blame Fukami for expressing her feelings and asking Kase to stay, Kase could've just said "No, it's too late to back out now". For all she knows Kase might decide to break up with her partner and stay with her.

last edited at Apr 27, 2023 12:10PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

^ Agree with all this, except I think the problem has nothing to do with any in-story qualities of the characters (that is, which imaginary person is most to blame) but is just a complete fuck-up by the writer who has introduced a storyline that makes an incoherent hash out of the characters and their established priorities and motivations.

This whole plot development is completely misconceived from the start--Fukami has absolutely no standing to demand anything at all of Kase, and she in fact has spent most of the series at least pretending to ignore her. The scenario should be:

Fukami: "I don't want you to leave!"

Kase: "Sorry, I'm moving in with my girlfriend!"

End of story arc.

joined Jan 14, 2020

once you're living 24/7 with someone there's very little room for miscommunication and misunderstandings

laughs in divorce court

joined May 2, 2019

^ Agree with all this, except I think the problem has nothing to do with any in-story qualities of the characters (that is, which imaginary person is most to blame) but is just a complete fuck-up by the writer who has introduced a storyline that makes an incoherent hash out of the characters and their established priorities and motivations.

Yes, I totally agree with you. The characters themselves are "blameless" (I think it's a given, after all it's not like they have free will or anything) and of course it's the author's fault if they're "acting" like idiots.

Like, Kase's senpai isn't an asshole usually, so it's 100% out of character for her to act like that.

The thing is, this could've been an interesting side-arc about Fukami if things played out normally:
- Fukami declares her love and asks Kase to stay
- Kase says she's been dating Yamada for more than a year and she's leaving.the dorm to live with her
- Fukami has to deal with her feelings and the loss of her room mate
- Maybe throw in a new character? Maybe the blonde girl (the one that's always saying she's Kase's rival, I forget her name right now) becomes Fukami new room mate? Maybe they're all ultra-gay and they fall in love?

I dunno, It could've been a nice side plot to explore without turning it into a high-stake drama clusterfuck.

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

From what I know of the manga industry, there's probably some editorial oversight taking place that's driving these plotlines.

Kase-san is no longer some cute little indie manga published semi-occasionally on minor-league yuri websites. It's officially hit the bigtime. I can go into Barnes & Nobles half a world away and buy an official English translation of the latest tank.

And once you hit that level of notoriety, publishers start wanting you to craft storylines that match their polling data.

last edited at Apr 29, 2023 8:51PM

Finding Jessica Lambert
joined Jun 20, 2020

As much as I love interlude of Fuuko between Yuni-Nanase disastrous relationship in My Girlfriend is Not Here Today, as much I hate the way how Fukami here freely brings herself between Yamada and Kase, without feeling any kind of wrongdoing.
But...

I don't see this drama as unnecessary. Kase has the big problem to make the borders about her priorities in relationships.
And a big problem wanting to be friendly with everyone (it's not possible in reality).
She looks like having a fear of not being liked. And Fukami somehow tricked her to think Kase needs to make some amends, and now it turns out that Kase is much more liked by Fukami than she wants to be (what an irony!)

Also, I don't see Kase as the winner of the race (even if she wins!).
If she does not come clear with everyone before the race, she already lost her integrity as a person. So, winning the race won't help her and solve anything.
Kase behaves cowardly, hiding behind that race and her physical powers, but she must use her powers of personality to solve her problems, and is she enough mature and spiritually strong enough?

If not, say bye bye. Yamada search for another girlfriend who deserves you.

last edited at Apr 30, 2023 7:21AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

And Fukami somehow tricked her to think Kase needs to make some amends

This is “Somehow, Palpatine returned” levels of bullshit plotting, though.

As I believe I’ve suggested before, the author could have thrown in some kind of hand-wavy university-or team-specific rule or expectation about changing roommates that wouldn’t make Kase come off as the biggest airhead/most inattentive girlfriend in the world. The situation is:

• They’ve been talking about living together for years

• Yamada had found a good apartment in a crazy-tough housing environment

• Time is of the essence for taking the place

• Fukami had been at best a distant presence in Kase’s life

So her demand that Kase stay in the dorm comes almost out of nowhere (“almost” because readers were somewhat aware that Fukami was falling for her roommate, but Kase had no clue about it), but more importantly, Kase’s response makes it seem as if she doesn’t care about Yamada and their life together at all, which we know from the rest of the story just isn’t true.

Sure, Kase can be a ditz who has trouble setting boundaries, but this jacks up those personality traits several orders of magnitude from being an occasional annoyance to a relationship deal-breaker.

Finding Jessica Lambert
joined Jun 20, 2020

^
I understand now the situation better. Thanks for the excellent observation and facts about consistence of the story. Yeah, it's all true what you said in your comment above.
You entered in much deeper levels of understanding this manga than me and I respect your opinions.

Anyway, to add, I call stories without logical sequences - pure evil. It can be done by author, a censorship, or mistakes in translations, or anything else what seriously damages story.
Usually, when I see a black hole in the thread of the story, it's always a signal for me to use a magnifying glass and examine real intentions and what is hidden. But here, I really have no idea how to emotionally respond to the story. And what "hidden" I might find?

If you say in a case of this manga it's all about author, I can agree. Because I can't remember if I ever felt so much inexplicable rage to any other manga-situation than to this in few last chapters. Truly, pure evil, and after all fluff how we found ourselves in situation of "what should be an occasional annoyance now became relationship deal-breaker" (paraphrase of your words)
Let's wait and see what comes next (upon us)...

last edited at Apr 30, 2023 7:22PM

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

Note; the scanlators changed the last page of Chapter 31 from this to this since it became clear that Fukami didn't (properly) confess just then.

last edited at May 21, 2023 11:38PM

joined Jan 14, 2020

Note; the scanlators changed the last page of Chapter 31 from this to this since it became clear that Fukami didn't (properly) confess just then.

Thank you for the notice!

If Kase redefines the race to "I'm definitely leaving, but if you win I'll tell you why"... that still won't change that they missed a good apartment because of her stupidity, but it'll be a marginal improvement.

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

Please just get this over with already

last edited at May 22, 2023 2:38AM

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Kase-san is managing her, basically. she wants to get out from under without crushing her spirit. I now think she needs to talk more honestly and openly with Morning Glory about it, though.

joined Mar 18, 2023

author-san surely has the ninja sub-class with how effortlessly they are out here assassinating their own character and killing their stories potential.

why must we take the long route of having the side character slowly realize their feelings only to then be rejected instead of the short route of revealing that her crush is taken by another girl which forces her feelings out quickly bringing the conflict to its emotional conclusion?

maidenlessclaire
Rkkixs_v_400x400
joined Feb 16, 2023

This arc is just frustrating and makes me hate Kase, I can't take much more of it.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

author-san surely has the ninja sub-class with how effortlessly they are out here assassinating their own character and killing their stories potential.

why must we take the long route of having the side character slowly realize their feelings only to then be rejected instead of the short route of revealing that her crush is taken by another girl which forces her feelings out quickly bringing the conflict to its emotional conclusion?

I agree with this wholeheartedly. None of this tracks with Kase’s established character—I can almost see the puppet strings when Kase does things that that the previous fictional person would never do.

20240119_014822
joined Nov 18, 2021

Why is Kase like this?! Auuggh. Really hate this arc so much.

Img_20220602_141642-min%20(1)%20(1)%20(1)
joined Feb 5, 2020

I hope she trips or something. Doesn't matter which of them, either would do. Both would be better.

Screenshot%202022-04-05%20021706
joined Jun 19, 2014

Kase has been so dumb this whole arc, I can’t decide if she realised Roommate confessed and was trying to let her down gently, or if she was oblivious to the romantic confession.

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

Following this arc is still suffering but it looks like Kase is committed to moving out no matter what and probably coming out no matter what so I guess progress is progress.

joined Jan 13, 2019

oh my god kase's not the only one being stupid. roomie doesnt know that she herself is gay. she said that to mean "as a friend" but she doesnt know that she doesnt like kase as a friend. oh NO

AngelsDoNotCry
Goat-removebg-preview%20(1)%20(2)
joined May 30, 2022

Don't want to spend the rest of this year focusing on this race....

That the pain of a bi-monthly(?) manga that we have to endure.

herenowforever
Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

oh my god kase's not the only one being stupid. roomie doesnt know that she herself is gay. she said that to mean "as a friend" but she doesnt know that she doesnt like kase as a friend. oh NO

That's a very Japanese way with dealing things, like giving someone a second chance to walk back a statement or hinting you don't want to do something without saying it directly.

Suki is a very convenient word for that, and aishiteiru is not that commonly used.

Kase isn't particularly thrilled about coming out when she's living with another woman in a school dorm, nor does she want to out anyone else.

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Thank you for the notice!

If Kase redefines the race to "I'm definitely leaving, but if you win I'll tell you why"... that still won't change that they missed a good apartment because of her stupidity, but it'll be a marginal improvement.

Yeah, that's where I am at too. We're begging for crumbs at this point.

Also, agree but I think that's because this apartment move now feels like an end-game event, and she's stretching out the build-up to it, in an attempt to make it seem like a journey with an "earned" conclusion. I think it's been done terribly but I think that's the idea. I wouldn't be surprised if this all ends when they finally move in together. Last version was only 24 chapters.

last edited at May 22, 2023 9:19AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

this apartment move now feels like an end-game event, and she's stretching out the build-up to it, in an attempt to make it seem like a journey with an "earned" conclusion. I think it's been done terribly but I think that's the idea. I wouldn't be surprised if this all ends when they finally move in together. Last version was only 24 chapters.

You may well be right—maybe this is supposed to function as a last obstacle before a cohabitation finale.

But what a botch job—if the story needed more chapters, who among us wouldn’t have been fine with a bunch of lovey-dovey scenes of Yamada and Kase establishing their love nest and then a housewarming party with callbacks to the side characters?

For years this series/franchise has been among my all-time favorites, and while the second series was definitely more uneven than the first (and the jealousy theme did become annoyingly repetitive), I never expected such a radical swerve into a ditch as we’re getting here.

To reply you must either login or sign up.