Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

joined May 3, 2014

Did a binge read from the beginning, it's interesting to see how much the characters have changed without changing at all. I'm really impressed with the character development with so few pages and panels. Kinda makes me want to make all the other manga artists read this and then let them rework their series into something better, (shorter, concise, and focused).

I’ve seen people say this manga is mostly swag with no story, but you can really see how the characters have been developing over time. It is so much easier to notice if you read the whole thing in one go rather than four pages a week.

I still feel like this one is just swag without story lol but thats just me. Fun to check out once in a while and read a bunch of updates tho.

it’s very slice-of-life story with very short chapters, but even if it was full chapters with the amount of slice of life we get will still be an story with just swag? OFC it has an story! it’s slow burn and unfortunately only a few pages

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

"It's easy to be creative for some reason," she says. Well, no shit, Sherlock, it's not like you have your greatest fan on speed dial who worships everything you write.

joined Feb 22, 2018

In case you're wondering.... the band whose name Aya is mangling is the Australian group King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard.

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

I was caught by surprise by this chapter ending with neither a punchline nor an a-ha moment.

Truewarrior
joined Dec 13, 2014

Hell fucking yeah! King Gizzard is the shit! EDIT: Wow...I got real excited just hearing it mentioned. Just waking up will do that to me I guess.

last edited at Jun 23, 2024 12:20PM

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

...I swear, for a solid minute there I thought she called the song "Maths 3-3 Koga Mitsuki"

732535__safe_anthro_vinyl%20scratch_octavia_dj%20pon-dash-3_octavia%20melody_artist-colon-theyoungreaper1
joined Mar 14, 2016

Based King Gizzard mentioned :sirenemoji:

420e065dfd1a4d6b3655ec2b8f710afc%20(1)
joined Apr 25, 2020

KING GIZZARD MENTIONED!!! NONAGON INFINITY OPENS THE DOOR, NONAGON INFINITY OPENS THE DOOR, WAIT FOR THE ANSWER TO OPEN THE DOOR, NONAGON INFINITY

joined Apr 6, 2013

Oh no this is terrible

the scanner just outed themselves as European

CindertailtheKistune
Tumblr_830a85052a1b34481fa368bf50ca9fc5_de74d4e4_500
joined Oct 19, 2021

Nice math notes.

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Everyone's focusing on the cuteness with Aya, but those last couple of panels are oof. We know she was already struggling with academics; now we see she was working on songs in her math not book and the way she looked away as she closed it and said she was going to bed ... If I'm not reading too much into it, she's using songwriting and music to procrastinate on studying and thinking about her actual future, while also refusing to actually think about a future as an artist, and she knows it's going to come back to bite her.

I can relate to being in that kind-of self destructive rut. It's not good and I hope she can pull herself out of it before she finds herself in a place without good options.

On an unrelated note, is it possible to actually make out what she wrote for a title?

Koveras posted:

"It's easy to be creative for some reason," she says. Well, no shit, Sherlock, it's not like you have your greatest fan on speed dial who worships everything you write.

Eh. Having someone who's super supportive on speed dial can be helpful, but it can also be intimidating, because what if you don't live up to their expectations? I think the real reason she's finding it easy to write music is because "there's no goal to [it]." It's a purely self-indulgent exercise that she doesn't expect to share with anyone, and doesn't actually expect to be good, so she doesn't feel any pressure when doing it.

We've seen that Koga has a somewhat avoidant personality when it comes to doing things that she considers important or potentially difficult, in that she'll shy away from even thinking about them or catastrophize about them, and that to get past that she often has to wait until she hits a crisis point and then throw herself into some big, spectacular, effort. (Just look at her performance, at the school festival, for Aya.) Again, this is very familiar behavior and I'm starting to wonder if she might have ADHD, though that might just be me projecting myself onto the character.

Spillmyjuice
joined Jul 11, 2021

On an unrelated note, is it possible to actually make out what she wrote for a title?

If I'm not mistaken, "24h Radio"

Img_5712
joined Jan 3, 2022

Uh oh Koga… song lyrics don’t go in the maths book…

I have a feeling this is not only going to lead to her grades slipping, but the teacher bringing it up and encouraging her to sing for the school…

Maybe, idk

joined May 2, 2013

I have a feeling this is not only going to lead to her grades slipping, but the teacher bringing it up and encouraging her to sing for the school…

Maybe, idk

What if she is making a Tool song? Then the maths book is exactly the place they go

Img_5712
joined Jan 3, 2022

Maybe, idk

What if she is making a Tool song? Then the maths book is exactly the place they go

You take your negative b

Plus or minus the square root of b times b

Minus four a c

Then you divide the whole darn thing by two times a

And this is what you get

All you get is x

All you get is x

(Don’t ask)

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

King Gizzard and the Lizzard Wizzard!!! WTF I''ve been listening to them so much this week lol

Fwerpng
joined Jul 25, 2017

PETRO..... DRAGONIC..... A... PO... CA.... LYPSE......

_warningm_edited
joined Jan 15, 2021

Maybe, idk

You take your negative b

Plus or minus the square root of b times b

Minus four a c

Then you divide the whole darn thing by two times a

And this is what you get

All you get is x

All you get is x

(Don’t ask)

I know they're not the same genre, but that strikes me more like They Might Be Giants. I could be wrong, who knows?

joined Mar 5, 2022

Hell fucking yeah! King Gizzard is the shit! EDIT: Wow...I got real excited just hearing it mentioned. Just waking up will do that to me I guess.

Idk why I'm so glad to see a band mentioned that's not like 30 years old lmao

last edited at Jun 24, 2024 1:10PM

Ichimatsu_kohina_11153
joined Jul 25, 2014

I love how they can speak so easily with each other now. Rereading earlier chapters, you can really notice how the distance between them have closed.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Don't have an album yet, eh? :D

And I guess next someone will notice the song in her maths notebook...

joined Apr 10, 2023

Idk why I'm so glad to see a band mentioned that's not like 30 years old lmao

They went nuts for Willow's Coping Mechanism when it was brand new last year

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

...I swear, for a solid minute there I thought she called the song "Maths 3-3 Koga Mitsuki"

This made me cackle. I'm imagining the confused look on your face.

Saki4
joined Jun 3, 2020

math rock is a thing

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

This might be the longest I kept reading a series without enjoying it too much, it's kinda hard to drop if it's only 4 pages at a time but I realized I actually stopped caring about anything that happens in it long ago :P Not sure I can pinpoint why, I think it's partly the author's very chaotic presentation style and heavy reliance on "a character reacted in a funny way, please laugh".

last edited at Jun 30, 2024 5:14AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.