Forum › Becoming Her Lover for the Sake of Love discussion

joined Apr 16, 2022

I think people here are being too harsh on this manga. It's clearly wearing its influences on its sleeve, but what's important is execution, not originality. I think both protagonists are fun, their dynamic is very entertaining, and we're getting some hints of complexity that can be explored more later. It's also already way more sensual than Usui Shio has ever been before, so I don't think we can just assume it'll be like her past works were.

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

I assumed Asako would be more passive, since she seems to regard shoujo manga like textbooks for love, but she is flirting back already? And she has to be doing it on purpose since she dropped the honorific there. I'm warming up to the character designs too, so I'm more optimistic now!

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I think people here are being too harsh on this manga. It's clearly wearing its influences on its sleeve, but what's important is execution, not originality.

Words to live by (I do, anyway). Well-executed originality is great, when you can get it, but for me the appeal of genre (pretty much any genre) is seeing how a creator rings the changes on familiar elements.

How well this one does that still remains to be seen.

Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

"Mysterious feeling"

It's love. How are you this dense. You like her!

D5aad09a-7f7c-4c16-aad1-2b0b94587149
joined Nov 13, 2022

Okay, all I'm saying is that the beginnings of this manga gave me some intense aromantic vibes, but now that Asako started flirting back and having "mysterious feelings", I'm really not sure what to make of it. I feel like it would be kind of boring if she "overcame" her aromantic leanings in only a chapter or two.

(Yes, I am totally projecting onto this character; so sue me!)

By%2067558489%20pixiv%20id
joined Apr 5, 2023

I feel like it would be kind of boring if she "overcame" her aromantic leanings in only a chapter or two.

Same, especially because I liked her previous work with the ace pair.
It's probably not going that route for now, considering the focus on her wanting to mimic shoujo manga characters and using them as a reference on what is the proper way to feel or react, so she isn't exactly allo in my opinion.
So far I'm enjoying it

Untitled-compressed
joined Jun 5, 2023

I don't think Asako's feeling is love, it's too early for that, especially since Nagi hasn't done anything too special yet. I think it's just relaxation when Asako does something she's never done before like going to the rooftop for lunch. By the way, after 2 chapters of this manga, I think Nagi will love Asako first

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

I think Asako is just under immense pressure all the time. So she is not allowed to feel a lot of feelings. I agree with the relaxation theory. She is experiencing a lot of new and positive feelings rn. She is basically an ice queen in the melting.

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

I love Yamada's contemptuous glares at Kase...oops, Nagi.

Untitled-compressed
joined Jun 5, 2023

This author has drawn many series but still doesn't have an anime. I hope this manga will get an anime (the context of high school students is easier to get an anime than an adult context or office romance, right?).

joined Aug 21, 2017

This feels really close to being Reversal.

586679-586678-51yyd2ts_il._sl500_aa300__super
joined Oct 4, 2018

This author has drawn many series but still doesn't have an anime. I hope this manga will get an anime (the context of high school students is easier to get an anime than an adult context or office romance, right?).

Looks at Takemiya Jin, Amano Shuninta, among many others
Right. Multiple works but still no anime in sight. It do be sad

joined May 9, 2017

Looks at Takemiya Jin, Amano Shuninta, among many others
Right. Multiple works but still no anime in sight. It do be sad

I don't think any of Usui's work it worthy of an anime anyway. They are a lot of yuri that are better and more popular that have yet to get an anime adaptation. I also think the rhythm of their manga is way better in writing form.

I have to admit though, I'm try to like their manga, but none of them really clicked to far. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I think all characters are awkward to me. Which is fine when it's one or two characters, but when I feel that way about the whole cast...

PineconeJuice
Pinekon
joined Jan 10, 2022

Fine, I'll admit that the third chapter got me slightly curious.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

I have a strong feeling that it will be the first kiss for both of them

joined May 3, 2014

Well, I'M excited. And I definitely think the two protagonists are probably once again trademark demi/aces, because they're both following manga to try and figure out what's coming a lot more naturally for everyone else.

i hope not, for me the Moon and donuts manga was meh, but we will see how it goes and ends

420e065dfd1a4d6b3655ec2b8f710afc%20(1)
joined Apr 25, 2020

Unnecessary unexplainable drama? Count me in

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

Okay so the excuse about training to romance the other girls better is immediately confirmed as bullshit then? Nagi's motivation suddenly seems way simpler :P

last edited at Jun 14, 2024 5:08AM

D5aad09a-7f7c-4c16-aad1-2b0b94587149
joined Nov 13, 2022

Subjective opinion: Kissing in manga is beautiful, kissing in real life is weird and kinda gross. I'm guessing if they had kissed, it would have been awkward, considering that Asako is doing it for Science.

420e065dfd1a4d6b3655ec2b8f710afc%20(1)
joined Apr 25, 2020

Subjective opinion: Kissing in manga is beautiful, kissing in real life is weird and kinda gross. I'm guessing if they had kissed, it would have been awkward, considering that Asako is doing it for Science.

I mean, when you do it wrong ofc, or if you're ace I guess

Jumbo-yotsuba-4810
joined Mar 31, 2023

This feels really close to being Reversal.

I came here to say the same thing.

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

I'm still on the fence with this one but I will note that it fits Usui Shio's pattern of the tareme-eyed girl being a troublemaker (in a positive sense).

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

Also, this manga contains an excellent collection of sourpuss ojousama faces.

joined Oct 22, 2018

I'm still on the fence with this one but I will note that it fits Usui Shio's pattern of the tareme-eyed girl being a troublemaker (in a positive sense).

I'm not enough of a weeb to know what tareme-eyed means, can someone translate please?

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

I'm not enough of a weeb to know what tareme-eyed means, can someone translate please?

Tareme means droopy/downward-slanting eyelids. As opposed to Tsurime where they slant upwards.

Droopy eyes are usually associated with the soft, fragile or quiet type of moe character, whereas sharp eyes usually point (heh) towards strong willed or more intense ones. The Hiiragi twins from Lucky Star are a good example of those archetypes.

To reply you must either login or sign up.