Forum › Posts by Doctor_Hoot

Doctor_Hoot
Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

I guess this is not that different from the old school "sisters" dynamic (i.e. a very close bond between senpai and kouhai); the younger girl is just even um... younger here. I wonder if there will be any time skips, or if it will lean into the "onee-loli" thing instead.

The crumbs of worldbuilding so far are a good sign, although it's hard to have faith in any series with SFF ambitions surviving long in Yuri Hime. (Some combination of interests from the artists, editors and readers seems to discourage building a supporting cast, and a plot beyond romance and drama. The ones that attempt this don't do very well.) Well, maybe this one will do okay, since it's an adaptation.

Doctor_Hoot
Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

Normally I would say the childhood friend is doomed but it is quite unusual to get a chapter from her perspective that early on. So it is hard to guess where it will go.

It's not just that, but the emphasis on "normal", both in the dialogue and the title, makes me think the "love at first sight" moment is just an inciting incident

last edited at Feb 14, 2024 1:50PM

Doctor_Hoot
Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

It's kind of fun to wonder if this is rock bottom, or we haven't hit it yet

Doctor_Hoot
Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

Revisiting this after a few years, I think the question mark in the title might not be there to dispute the idea that this is yuri. Instead, it might be an honest question, from the POV of the trans girl. She seems to be unsure if her childhood friend, who likes women, would like her too, since she is trans (she points to herself saying "♂"). To which her friend gently affirms her gender with a smile, even saying her heart is that of a girl, and then initiates a kiss. So the story answers the question posed by the title with a resounding yes, which I find quite sweet.

Doctor_Hoot
Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

Does the strange lady want to have Bai Yuetao's body in the sexual sense, or does she have something else in mind (as well)?

She introduces herself as Butterfly Dream, which is the title of a Classical Chinese story in Zhuangzi. In this story the author, after dreaming about flying around as a butterfly, wakes up wondering if he just dreamed about being a butterfly, or if he's actually a butterfly dreaming about being a human.

That story is about the Dream Argument (the unreliability of human senses), so maybe I'm trying to make a connection that is too literal. But if magic is already on the table, then maybe a body swap is or possession is possible. It could be something like in Your Name, each of them piloting the other's body while asleep.

last edited at Jan 11, 2024 11:33PM

Doctor_Hoot
Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

I'm glad that at least the worst case of ironic tragedy was avoided (Your Lie in April), but the way Shizuku's confession is dragged out, like a can being kicked down the road, again and again, even though Shizuku knows Kaori is dying, still feels manufactured to me. An arbitrary twist of the knife on top of a tragedy that would be plenty sad on its own even if the leads had been allowed to at least see each other face to face during the confession.

After thinking about it a little, rather than pointlessly cruel, Shizuku dragging her feet with the confession feels like a shortcut; the creator pulling the reins back before the situation could get too complicated.

Imagine Kaori and Shizuku in the same room together, on the same page about their mutual feelings, yet Kaori's death still hanging over them. Having to figure out what to do now. Is that not worth a few chapters to explore? Would Kaori's death be less sad if the relationship progressed beyond pining before she died?

I still like the story overall, but I guess some people love painting any criticism here as "I didn't realize this was going to be a tragedy so now I'm mad", and I guess I can't do anything about that.

Doctor_Hoot
Aki/Momo discussion 10 Jan 11:48
Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

Delicious. Finally, some good food

Doctor_Hoot
Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

Glowing mirror and talking reflection makes me think Fantasy or Supernatural more than Historical

Historical is because it's set in the 1920s

Doctor_Hoot
Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

I'm glad that at least the worst case of ironic tragedy was avoided (Your Lie in April), but the way Shizuku's confession is dragged out, like a can being kicked down the road, again and again, even though Shizuku knows Kaori is dying, still feels manufactured to me. An arbitrary twist of the knife on top of a tragedy that would be plenty sad on its own even if the leads had been allowed to at least see each other face to face during the confession.

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

Head full of lewd images of Jun and Nadeshiko, gets angry at the women for having a "poisoned" mind

Doctor_Hoot
Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

Call Me by Your Name... Raw!

Doctor_Hoot
Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

I'm starting to hate Hirose, a lot, she thinks she is supposed to be better because she liked volleyball fist but then when someone is better without much effort she resent that person, she didn't like the sport, she like the sense of superiority it gives to her and the audacity to like Takamine, what the hell is wrong with her? the self-importance is huge.

It's like some people can't read anything without having to pick a girl to hate... I mean, Hirose, of all characters? lol

Doctor_Hoot
Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

Ah, this is the scene from the volume 3 cover!

Doctor_Hoot
Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

As funny as the surprise switch to De:Lphinus was, I didn't expect the chapter to be satisfying, but now I want to see more of them too. Odoro Dorothy just does not miss, each chapter is such a treat.

is having that big an age gap in an idol group a thing? I don't really pay attention to them much but I would expect a 16yo and a 22yo to be in different groups based on starting so far apart if nothing else.

The typical gap between the senior and the youngest member (in Korean idol groups at least) is usually 4 years or less. But 6 years is not unheard of, that's the gap in e.g. LOONA.

I assume that the larger the management company, the more trainees, which means more trainees in the same age cohort, and a smaller gap between members in the same group. Blockberry Creative, which managed LOONA before their departure, is a subsidiary of a larger conglomerate, but they are a small operation, as their only managed group was LOONA between 2016 and 2022.

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

So are we in agreement that Joe and Kanna were a bi4bi type relationship? cuz that's not a heterosexual couple I don't care what anyone says

On one hand, I don't recall any instance of those two being attracted to their own gender. On the other hand, I find the idea that anyone with alt fashion style must be LGBT because cishet people allegedly have no taste in fashion pretty funny, so what the heck, why not.

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

I'm confused.... Is her father permanently stuck as a woman? Or are her parents just making out all the time so it's always the case? Because they said there's no precedent for someone becoming stuck but the story seems to imply her father is unable to become a man again.

It was weird that he didn't want to go to parents day at Chihaya's school because he was a woman at the time... Like... If the curse lasts 24hours max can't you just NOT kiss your wife for a day?

Maybe he wants to stay permanently as a woman now, so a kiss a day keeps the dick away¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

I suggest reading the speech bubble again:

"To change forever from just a kiss? Currently there's been no precedent for that."

Meaning "just a kiss" is not enough for a permanent change. The permanent change happened, it's just not yet explained how.

Another clue is on pg 28:

"I knew what the risks were. With the Shishizaki curse. Being with Chisaki. And I married her anyway. But when it actually happened, I didn't really understand what I was getting into. I was really concerned with what my children might think."

The "but when it actually happened" bit refers to the permanent change.

last edited at Nov 30, 2023 11:48PM

Doctor_Hoot
Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

At the age of 20, Suu-chan has a lower risk of developing a nicotine dependence than if she was a teenager, so I'm only slightly worried about her.

I was 21 when I smoked cigarettes for the first time, and for a few months I smoked about once a day, but I never got hooked. I was involved with a certain crowd at the time, and I saw it as a bonding activity with the girls I hung out with.

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

Bad bitch fumbled :(

Doctor_Hoot
Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

The missing family member can wait - it's time for a love hotel date!

Doctor_Hoot
Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

I didn't translate the title because of the several underlying meanings that would have been lost in translation and also the grammar is weird and probably made up. So after mulling over it for a while, I gave up.

損なう can also mean something about a missed chance to do something. So, maybe, both characters mourn their failure to "scatter" (splat).

散る is also a metaphor for dying a noble death.

Hiraeth being a feeling of nostalgia for a place you can never return to (or even ever went to), so the whole title evokes a complicated feeling.

Thank you for your notes! Yeah, I can see how the meaning of a noble death could be relevant (due to suicide historically being seen as "honorable" in some situations). I quite like the messiness of this title.

I ended up looking for other words with the same suffix, and found 死に損ない / 死に損なう (shinizokonai / shinisokonau). These meanings (e.g. a failed suicide, or survival by narrow chance) feel relevant here. Still, I don't want to flatten the possible meanings too much; the "scattering" might have a deeper meaning beyond the "splat".

last edited at Nov 18, 2023 10:22PM

Doctor_Hoot
Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

Is it me or there's a lot of double suicide going on? Also: Supernatural tag?

Lovers' suicides have been a common theme in Japanese media for centuries.

In Class S literature, the predecessor of the Yuri genre, female-female couples were historically fated for a tragic end, mostly (but not only) due to censorship. Typically, the more romantic the relationship, the harsher the ending. These stories were both informed by and affecting the culture at the time. During the 1910s-20s in Japan, there were high profile cases of double suicide by female-female couples that ended up sensationalized by newspapers (especially because, to oversimplify, lovers' suicides were considered the exclusive realm of male-female couples).

This podcast episode covered this topic, and is also a great intro to the origins of Class S: A Husband is Unnecessary: Yoshiya Nobuko & Japanese Girls' Culture - History is Gay #46

Huh. Does 'hiraeth' mean something in Japanese, or is the author really using Welsh, of all languages, for their title?

Kinda neat if it's the latter, ngl.

According to Wiktionary, and listed sources, hiraeth can mean:

• nostalgia, homesickness

• a deep longing or yearning for something or someone (including the departed)

• a deep regret

Together with the Japanese part 「散り損ないの」(based on my beginner Japanese and Jisho) maybe the title means something like "a Hiraeth that is failing to scatter", or "the Hiraeth of failing to scatter"?

散る (chiru) is specifically associated with the falling and scattering of petals or leaves, which could be connected to the theme of death in this manga, especially death by falling from a high place. With that in mind, the title could refer to a feeling of Hiraeth that doesn't go away, or the specific type of Hiraeth caused by not being able to die. Though it's possible the title's meaning is supposed to be a mistery for now.

I welcome notes or corrections from someone who knows what they're doing (Cunningham's Law I'm counting on you)

last edited at Nov 18, 2023 1:21PM

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

The art is delightful, but what a strange way to play this story. So far it's like Rei is Elmer Fudd and Ami is Bugs Bunny, constantly yanking the rug out from under Rei to reveal an aching chasm beneath. Rei winds up to receive love, and gets hit in the face with a mallet or has her feelings blown up with dynamite every time.

The youth of the characters is handled very strangely, as well. They look extremely young, but they act increasingly sophisticated. And when they get dressed up to do out, they sort of present as adults. I think by the end of this third chapter it seems clear enough that Ami isn't some quirky girl who doesn't understand her feelings, but she is rather a straight-up sociopath. She tells Rei point-blank she prioritizes her own well-being above everyone else's, and tells Rei she enjoys tormenting her, because she enjoys seeing all the emotions Rei produces flit over her face as a result. She describes feeling not much of anything for Rei, and every time Rei decides it's better to give up (at least once in each chapter so far, unless I'm mistaken), Ami starts splitting hairs over how she words things, does whatever she thinks she needs to do, whatever little doling out of "affection" will keep Rei coming back for more.

I appreciate the earnestness of Rei a lot, and that, combined with the art, has kept me reading so far––that, and knowing it's not very long. But gosh, the emotional cruelty is not what I'm ever here for. It reminds me quite a bit of The Feelings We All Must Endure––which I gradually came around to appreciating quite a lot? So maybe I'll come around on this one, too. The author isn't making it hard to hate Ami, though.

You explained the strange feeling of the manga really well. I would have said Charlie Brown and Lucy, but Looney Toones works too (except of course each gag cycle takes much longer than both examples).

Doctor_Hoot
Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

Michi's profile is low-key concerning... maybe it's just because she's been too busy dealing with ghosts, but it's like the girl has been living her life on auto-pilot. Detached from earthly existence.

Dorothy-sensei keeps drawing Seta more and more feminine lol. Maybe the shocking twist ending of the series is that Aizawa will eventually possess his body and trans it to her liking. The world's first afab trans woman idol.

When I saw that pin-up of him in the skirt, I just thought it was a random guy. It's classic Seta that for a hot minute I forgot he had been in the manga at all

last edited at Nov 13, 2023 12:17AM

Doctor_Hoot
Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

damn a Nanatsu Fuji work where they’re both adult women… we got an SSR here

They are role playing as school girls, so it's still on brand