Forum › The Moon on a Rainy Night discussion

runrin Staff
Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

kuzushiro really knows how to draw those insane faces.

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

i'm gonna use that next time i flirt with a girl

joined Mar 23, 2022

I'll just assume that silence means gayfirmation. and the sister is just misinterpret it in a bad way

joined Mar 23, 2022

I'll just assume that silence means gayfirmation. and the sister is just misinterpret it in a bad way

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Yeah, the sister has it wrong, but she can't really just come out and say "I want to kiss her" to a random person (especially a protective little sister who might not understand how "outing" works) but she also isn't very good at lying. (which is why her attempt to cut ties failed catastrophically)

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I hope for Rinne that Kanon never finds out what she said to Saki, Seeing how Kanon responded to Saki's offer it should be very clear that Kanon wouldn't be all too pleased.

I dunno, I think Kanon would cut Rinne off very much the same way she cut Saki off.

I mean, not the super gay kabedon part, that'd be a very different series, but the "I'm not mad but I will have none of this bullshit" part.

Nobody
joined Aug 17, 2019

Thank god they dragged that last bit, I mean, it will be relevant, but hopefully not so much as to hold the story or something like that.

joined Jun 21, 2021

kuzushiro really knows how to draw those insane faces.

Saki legit looks like a villain sometimes lol

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

I hate it when people speak for others without their knowledge. It’s such a self serving thing to do.

Yeah, the irony is that the sister is doing exactly what she's accusing Saki of doing - using her relationship with her sister to feel better about herself because she's "protecting" her, despite Kanon neither needing nor, likely, wanting that help. Especially when it involves harassing Kanon's closest friend. You get the feeling that the "heart reading" bit is just a self-serving lie, and she'd be like this no matter who Kanon was spending time with.

I always hate this character archetype, because it exists to basically only serve as an obstacle and rarely tells us much about the main characters. Except that Saki feels guilty about her feelings for Kanon, which we pretty much knew already, so meh. Maybe the next chapters will bring it around and provide an opportunity for them to get closer. (I do like Kanon just flat out shutting Saki's attempt to slink away down, since it's obvious Saki didn't really want to do this. Guess that "heart reading" B.S. works both ways, huh Imouto-chan?)

Little Sister was definitely way out of line, but I can also understand why she's acting that way.

We already know that the scenario Rinne was describing has happened before —Kannon's previous best friend really was just using her as a status symbol and dropped her hard once it became too troublesome— and she was right about Saki hiding something, she just came to the wrong conclusion about what that something is.

As for not noticing Kanon's feelings, I'll wager that she did, but that was also part of the problem; Kanon probably felt similarly about the friend who burned her, so Rinne saw her big sister getting attached to another girl with ulterior motives, possibly blinding herself to that, and building up to another disaster. It would be a bit like if you saw someone you cared about getting close to another, obvious, abuser right after they just got out of a different abusive relationship, that they refused to acknowledge until it went way to far.

None of that is to say Rinne was right to go about it the way she did, just that it doesn't make her evil.

Saki is so desperate to hide the gay, unfortunately for her she’s doing a horrible job lol, Poor girl almost collapsed because she thought the sisters gaydar was going off.

It’s gonna be something when we officially get to this though, this girl is deep in the denial/guilt phase of who she is

Man this manga needs to get licensed in English

If I had a nickel for every time I said that I could use said nickels to buy all the series I want to have official English release

Based on her conversations with her mom and her internal monologue, I don't think she's in denial; she's pretty clear on the whole "I'm gay; girls are great" thing. The problem is she views acting like she just wants to be friends with a cute girl that she really wants to do more with as misleading them and, like Rinne, she's conflating that with other ways that someone might use the pretext of friendship for more duplicitous and selfish ends.

I suppose, in a twisted way, that lends some extra credence to Rinne's accusations: She's acting like Kanon couldn't, or wouldn't, speak up for herself if her behavior was unwanted; like she's an innocent flower that needs to be protected
and if their relationship isn't 100% pure, then the whole thing's tainted and it's her fault. I suspect Kanon will be disabusing her of that notion shortly.

so, Kanon's sister gives us an interesting bit of information on lipreading, that at least in her experience paying that much attention to someone while they talk makes you better at realizing what their true intentions may be.

What if this is also true of Kanon, what if she has an inkling on Saki feelings about her, because she too can use lipreading to get to the heart of the matter (in this case Saki's). I don't know if this chapter is setting up foreshadowing or if I'm reading too much into it but I don't think Kanon is entirely clueless about the fact that Saki is in love with her.

After that kabedon and that line? Yeah, I'm pretty sure she knows and has some inkling of what her sister did.

Also, I think the whole point of Rinne's scene isn't so much that she was being controlling and doesn't actually have any ability to "read the heart." Rather, she and Kanon do have that ability, but she lacks the context to correctly interpret what she's seeing, so her insight just ended up causing more confusion. Conversely, Kanon does have the context, so she's able to use her insight to quickly solve the issue before it can gather any steam.

This actually relates to a broader theme that the manga has repeatedly brought up: It's not enough to just look at the surface level, regardless of whether you're talking about things like making accommodations for disabilities or judging a the character of another person, it's important to make sure you have the full context and a deeper understanding of what's going on, otherwise you're likely to cause more harm than good.

If that's actually what's happening, then this author has done an amazing job of believably weaving a theme through their work and presenting in a multitude of different disparate scenarios.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I hope for Rinne that Kanon never finds out what she said to Saki, Seeing how Kanon responded to Saki's offer it should be very clear that Kanon wouldn't be all too pleased.

I honestly expect little sister to greet them with an "I thought I told you to never visit her again!" the moment they arrive, and Kanon putting her in her place. Especially seeing how quickly this manga likes to solve such things.

We already know that the scenario Rinne was describing has happened before —Kannon's previous best friend really was just using her as a status symbol and dropped her hard once it became too troublesome— and she was right about Saki hiding something, she just came to the wrong conclusion about what that something is.

I don't remember seeing any indication of the friend using her (but feel free to point me to the relevant pages if I'm wrong), but it certainly got too hard for her eventually.

joined Jun 5, 2018

I do not understand why people think that the one being narrated can do no wrong. I think the author makes it rather clear that Kanon was at fault. Even if she herself is an unreliable narrator (of the past) I see even less evidence that the little sister is trustworthy. I guess a lot of stories do take the side of the protagonists, but somehow seeing how their other works are, this author does not do that. Their characters are flawed and mostly realistic, and this is why I like their works.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I do not understand why people think that the one being narrated can do no wrong. I think the author makes it rather clear that Kanon was at fault.

Why does somebody always have to be at fault?

joined Jun 5, 2018

I do not understand why people think that the one being narrated can do no wrong. I think the author makes it rather clear that Kanon was at fault.

Why does somebody always have to be at fault?

Well, jokes on me and my rhetorics. I didn't mean she was at fault alone - maybe even 'fault' being too strong a word. Let me be a bit more elaborate.

So by fault I really mean here who took more liberty than what's normally acceptable in a society in their relationship. Even if this is even more difficult here since society never handled disability well. And the story (i.e. Saki) did say that normally a broken relationship is the result of mutual mistakes, yet from what we have seen, Kanons statement about herself coincides with what we have seen. She has overshot at some point playing her weakness and now she's overshooting downplaying her weakness.

Realistically, what an adult should say to her in this situation is that we don't treat her special because we take pity on her, but simply because she needs it. Look, are we supposed to let people in a wheelchair crawl up the stairs? It obviously is ridiculous. Although from another point of view, she really isn't disabled, she herself stated her hearing weakness can be compensated by an hearing aid. Me needing glasses doesn't make me disabled in most people's eyes, simply because it is so common and easily circumventable.

So yeah, what I'm getting at is that she is and was a troubled teenager who really didn't know how to handle herself. At some point she became too clingy and high maintenance for her friend, and that makes her 'at fault'. It doesn't mean that for any other person as a friend the outcome would be the same, but you have to know someone else's limits.

I was specifically answering to the post by luinthoron asking when it was said that kanon was using her friend with my original post.
answer: there wasn't.

last edited at May 9, 2022 3:04PM

joined Oct 27, 2018

Hasn't it been made pretty clear that her hearing aid isn't doing a whole lot for her anymore? I don't know about you, but my glasses make my vision 20/20, so I don't think it compares.

Lilisionnach
Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

Realistically, what an adult should say to her in this situation is that we don't treat her special because we take pity on her, but simply because she needs it. Look, are we supposed to let people in a wheelchair crawl up the stairs? It obviously is ridiculous. Although from another point of view, she really isn't disabled, she herself stated her hearing weakness can be compensated by an hearing aid. Me needing glasses doesn't make me disabled in most people's eyes, simply because it is so common and easily circumventable.

You're comparing apples and oranges when you are comparing her hearing to correctable vision. To equate to glasses, it would be like if your vision is so poor that even with corrective lenses, you are still only able to correct to 20/200 (which qualifies for legal blindness in the US). There are clearly a range of degrees of hearing and vision loss. So yes, Kanon's still disabled. Disability comes in many forms and appearances, and we shouldn't say that one disability doesn't count just because it is less burdensome than another.

As far as becoming too dependent on the friend, my guess would be Kanon just grew too accustomed to her friend always being there and saying "I don't mind, I'll help you, whatever you need", and just became too reliant on her as a result. It grew to be too much for her friend and she lashed out; which can be understandable for middle school aged kids. They probably just need to sit down and just talk it out.

last edited at May 9, 2022 4:21PM

joined Jun 5, 2018

Hasn't it been made pretty clear that her hearing aid isn't doing a whole lot for her anymore? I don't know about you, but my glasses make my vision 20/20, so I don't think it compares.

Did it? Then I must have misunderstood. There was a line when she said she didnt need to learn sign language because her hearing could be compensated by a hearing aid. Maybe it was strictly referring to the past? And no, I dont think I was comparing apples with oranges, or if I was, it was certainly about a common property between them.

Images%20(2)
joined Sep 28, 2021

Oh so Kanon doesn't have a father figure, that explains it

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Well, jokes on me and my rhetorics. I didn't mean she was at fault alone - maybe even 'fault' being too strong a word. Let me be a bit more elaborate.

(snip)

I'm not gonna go point by point, but rather address the larger point as a whole:

We don't know what happened between Kanon and her former friend. We know that Kanon's sister blames the friend, and that Kanon was traumatized by it, and that her friend seems slightly mean in the present.

I'm all for staying open to other perspectives, and if the story decides to show us the other girl's pov as sympathetic, then that'll be all well and good, but right now, all we have to go on is what the author has chosen to show us. So your alternate take is interesting but it's basically fanfiction.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

(snip)

I'm not gonna go point by point, but rather address the larger point as a whole:

We don't know what happened between Kanon and her former friend. We know that Kanon's sister blames the friend, and that Kanon was traumatized by it, and that her friend seems slightly mean in the present.

I'm all for staying open to other perspectives, and if the story decides to show us the other girl's pov as sympathetic, then that'll be all well and good, but right now, all we have to go on is what the author has chosen to show us. So your alternate take is interesting but it's basically fanfiction.

It is what Kanon herself says. Although you are right that we don't actually know the other girl's own thoughts at that time. Still, based on how she acted towards Kanon, it's fair to assume that instead of using Kanon as a means to seem more sympathetic herself, she did indeed start to feel used by Kanon.

joined Apr 5, 2015

Did it? Then I must have misunderstood. There was a line when she said she didnt need to learn sign language because her hearing could be compensated by a hearing aid. Maybe it was strictly referring to the past? And no, I dont think I was comparing apples with oranges, or if I was, it was certainly about a common property between them.

The efficacy of the hearing aids have been mentioned multiple times. Even when she said she didn't need sign language, she said it was because hearing aids and lip reading (which is why she trained a lot of lip reading with her sister since young). The aids don't at all fix her hearing, they just help.

Kannon is disabled, even with her hearing aids. That is made clear multiple times over the series, she consistently fails to notice when people are talking and mentioned multiple times how certain situations make conversations considerably harder. The only time her hearing is close to a fully functioning level is in soundproof rooms.

last edited at May 11, 2022 8:58AM

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

Just finished 6.5, let it burn, let it burn, let it burn slowly. C'mon, your Dar should be like a screaming siren by now. Plus signs of a beginning relationship. All the characters are set up nicely for the plot. Jaded Friend who might be a lover; an extremely possessive little sister. And no, that move of Kanon on Saki pinning her to the wall is not just an act. I have not seen a panel that sexy for quite awhile. Anyway, this is a Yuri, not Yuri bait.
I wish I can obtain a raw that has the actual Japanese name of Kanon. This is because Kanon is actually a type of music theory composition. It is logical for a musical family to name a kid after some unusual music term that also sounds good.

Now I cannot wait. In which magazine is this being published?

last edited at May 11, 2022 11:45PM

JazzLafayette
4fe5eecd-bb71-4108-8d32-020d4e723c02
joined Oct 3, 2018

No one's mentioned it but shoutout to Saki's mom in this chapter. Strong early contender for Best Parent of a Fictional Gay 2022 (Manga).

last edited at May 12, 2022 2:05AM

Lewdssss
joined Mar 23, 2019

Very gay, very pleased!

joined Jul 14, 2021

Little sister is just too worried about big sis. Even if she can read " feelings", probably because of how many bad things happened to Kanon she misinterpeted them. I'm glad it didn't go further so far, like Kanon didnt accept key return. Can't wait for more, I rly like this serie.

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

This manga is just simply too good, so I went ahead and got the raw and that means at this stage I have finished chapter 8 (end of volume 2). Obviously I cannot write any spoilers. But I can tell you that what Rinne did in Chapter 6.5, would ended up creating an unexpected but understandable effect in chapter 7. That in turn also started the very first sign of what Ressey, who commented two posts above mine, wrote. indeed. VERY GAY and VERY PLEASED., which is very clear by chapter 8. Anyway, keep reading this manga, you will not be disappointed at all.

last edited at Jun 30, 2022 6:26AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.