Forum › The Moon on a Rainy Night discussion

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

OK, fair enough. I'm just saying that, given the Dynasty criteria for the yuri tag, this gets one pretty easily. On the other hand, I think a series like A Tropical Fish Yearns for Snow stayed subtext even though there were lots of implicit signals that it might, could, maybe, even probably, would go all the way yuri.

None of the characters in A Tropical Fish Yearns For Snow were actually presented as lesbians though, so I'd say this is definitely a different case. With Saki basically wishing for gay marriage legalisation, I think there's no doubt that

in regard to Kanon, Saki is, as they used to say, warm for her form, full stop.

(didn't know there was an expression like that)

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

None of the characters in A Tropical Fish Yearns For Snow were actually presented as lesbians

I dunno—I thought Kaede and her partner Glasses-chan were totally versions of (ur-cartoon-lesbians) Peppermint Patty and Marcie. (Although Glasses-chan never called Kaede “sir.”)

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

None of the characters in A Tropical Fish Yearns For Snow were actually presented as lesbians

I dunno—I thought Kaede and her partner Glasses-chan were totally versions of (ur-cartoon-lesbians) Peppermint Patty and Marcie. (Although Glasses-chan never called Kaede “sir.”)

(I don't get the reference, no idea who those Peppermint and Marcie people are, but) who is the Glasses-chan you're referring to? I don't remember her at all.

Regardless, I suppose I could change the "none of the characters" to "neither of the main leads", since they were the ones I had in mind when I was writing this anyway.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

(I don't get the reference, no idea who those Peppermint and Marcie people are, but) who is the Glasses-chan you're referring to? I don't remember her at all.

Regardless, I suppose I could change the "none of the characters" to "neither of the main leads", since they were the ones I had in mind when I was writing this anyway.

Sorry, just a joke—they are characters from the comic strip Peanuts, one of the most famous and widely distributed comics in the world. Like Kaede, Peppermint Patty is an outgoing tomboy (she’s even sometimes mistaken for a boy); she is joined at the hip with Marcie, a nerdy girl with opaque glasses. (They’re not explicitly gay, obviously, but they’ve been adopted as lesbian role models by queer girls in many parts of the globe.)

Here’s Kaede and her (apparently) life-partner gal-pal:

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/nettaigyo_wa_yuki_ni_kogareru_ch08#19

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

Sorry, just a joke—they are characters from the comic strip Peanuts, one of the most famous and widely distributed comics in the world. Like Kaede, Peppermint Patty is an outgoing tomboy (she’s even sometimes mistaken for a boy); she is joined at the hip with Marcie, a nerdy girl with opaque glasses. (They’re not explicitly gay, obviously, but they’ve been adopted as lesbian role models by queer girls in many parts of the globe.)

Right, now that I looked them up I vaguely recognize them by appearance. The comic/TV show is quite famous in my country too, though I've never watched it (and my guess is that the same is true for most people my age here)

Here’s Kaede and her (apparently) life-partner gal-pal:

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/nettaigyo_wa_yuki_ni_kogareru_ch08#19

Ahhh, I can see why I didn't remember her, the author was very subtle with those hints... Lol

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

Time sure gets away. I never would have imagined a time when Peppermint Patty wasn't known. They even nodded to it on the troglodyte Family Guy show.

Zzzz
joined Nov 18, 2019

I get Kanon's sister, as an autistic person i get it, i don't want to be treated as a cup of glass but also need some sort of help

De00e7f3-5d55-4e3c-951c-ebac52dc90c4_1_102_o
joined Jul 14, 2021

pure gold, this manga

Roodypatooti
Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

I hate it when people speak for others without their knowledge. It’s such a self serving thing to do.

Images%20(5)
joined Apr 25, 2021

Man this manga needs to get licensed in English

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

I hate it when people speak for others without their knowledge. It’s such a self serving thing to do.

Yeah, the irony is that the sister is doing exactly what she's accusing Saki of doing - using her relationship with her sister to feel better about herself because she's "protecting" her, despite Kanon neither needing nor, likely, wanting that help. Especially when it involves harassing Kanon's closest friend. You get the feeling that the "heart reading" bit is just a self-serving lie, and she'd be like this no matter who Kanon was spending time with.

I always hate this character archetype, because it exists to basically only serve as an obstacle and rarely tells us much about the main characters. Except that Saki feels guilty about her feelings for Kanon, which we pretty much knew already, so meh. Maybe the next chapters will bring it around and provide an opportunity for them to get closer. (I do like Kanon just flat out shutting Saki's attempt to slink away down, since it's obvious Saki didn't really want to do this. Guess that "heart reading" B.S. works both ways, huh Imouto-chan?)

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Well, little sister is certainly right to be suspicious, but not for the reason she thinks. :D

joined Jun 21, 2021

Saki is so desperate to hide the gay, unfortunately for her she’s doing a horrible job lol, Poor girl almost collapsed because she thought the sisters gaydar was going off.

It’s gonna be something when we officially get to this though, this girl is deep in the denial/guilt phase of who she is

Man this manga needs to get licensed in English

If I had a nickel for every time I said that I could use said nickels to buy all the series I want to have official English release

last edited at May 8, 2022 3:42PM

Ayayayahuasca
370f6e22d5477fb96887976c3c5039f4410b136d
joined Oct 19, 2020

Subtext dropped

OH SHIT

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

so, Kanon's sister gives us an interesting bit of information on lipreading, that at least in her experience paying that much attention to someone while they talk makes you better at realizing what their true intentions may be.

What if this is also true of Kanon, what if she has an inkling on Saki feelings about her, because she too can use lipreading to get to the heart of the matter (in this case Saki's). I don't know if this chapter is setting up foreshadowing or if I'm reading too much into it but I don't think Kanon is entirely clueless about the fact that Saki is in love with her.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Can't wait to see the sister face when she comes back home once again lo/

Ss%20(2022-10-15%20at%2007.19.30)
joined Aug 19, 2021

Well happy to see she keeps the key. The little sister was too much for me since we have already the teacher who can split or create a gap between our girls for some chapters. Now i'm more interested in her since she is probably the character who can be the most useful for our MC to do her coming out (not in a painful way please).

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

That was resolved fast. For now. That sister annoys me though. Doesn't think about what her sister would want, even though this is all about her.

Nice Kabedon though, I'm sure that won't give poor Saki the wrong idea.

joined May 1, 2015

Bitch,
chill.
That's
her
sister.

joined Oct 27, 2018

It's kinda funny, she made this big show of being a le to read her, yet completely missed that obviously love struck expression.

joined Dec 17, 2021

so, Kanon's sister gives us an interesting bit of information on lipreading, that at least in her experience paying that much attention to someone while they talk makes you better at realizing what their true intentions may be.

What if this is also true of Kanon, what if she has an inkling on Saki feelings about her, because she too can use lipreading to get to the heart of the matter (in this case Saki's). I don't know if this chapter is setting up foreshadowing or if I'm reading too much into it but I don't think Kanon is entirely clueless about the fact that Saki is in love with her.

I think you're giving the little sister too much credit. For all the talk about reading people's hearts just from observing their expressions, the sister didn't realize the signs of Saki having a crush on Kanon. Plus, I think something like understanding people you don't know without communicating with them feels like it goes against what the story has been doing so far.

Also, maybe is because I haven't re-read this but I don't think anyone, not even Saki, has realized she has feelings for Kanon.

joined Jun 5, 2018

so it might be fair to speculate about what drove away the past friend? Her little sister in this case. I mean that or kanon really did just become a bit too clingy. It happens.

Type1afterthecurtaincallssoyoungregrets_sm2
joined Sep 1, 2021

Yeah, the irony is that the sister is doing exactly what she's accusing Saki of doing - using her relationship with her sister to feel better about herself because she's "protecting" her, despite Kanon neither needing nor, likely, wanting that help. Especially when it involves harassing Kanon's closest friend. You get the feeling that the "heart reading" bit is just a self-serving lie, and she'd be like this no matter who Kanon was spending time with.

Why doesn't Kanon let her into her room? Or ever mention her? Probably because Kanon is avoiding her control-freak sister. The sister doesn't know Saki well enough to read her body language in a believable way, so it's just interrogation tactics and arrogance. I guess people are right that Kanon may be able to read a lot or be in denial about Saki's feelings.

I always hate this character archetype, because it exists to basically only serve as an obstacle and rarely tells us much about the main characters. [...]

The situation also came up out of nowhere with a character not hinted at, and because Kanon is direct and lays down the law the situation should reach a turning point immediately. So no lengthy Pride and Prejudice-era or A Silent Voice shenanigans. But the rush makes me wonder just how long this manga is intended to run. On the bright side we're seeing a version of "stay away from my family" that highlights both someone disabled being infantilized and another person being LGBT and afraid of being discovered. But it's more of a novelty here than intersectionality like fear of being misunderstood and rejected as a minority, from earlier. Reading into it, I guess it may be a crossroads of tropes.

If this situation leads to Saki feeling forced to reveal she likes women, in the first outright statement of the words in the story, it better be worth the sudden hackneyed setup. I'm sure Kanon will be MVP next chapter.

last edited at May 8, 2022 4:59PM

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

That sister character is the least realistic one yet, really makes me think I'm reading some stupid contrived manga and not a story that might actually happen

Miki_closeup
joined Mar 20, 2014

I hope for Rinne that Kanon never finds out what she said to Saki, Seeing how Kanon responded to Saki's offer it should be very clear that Kanon wouldn't be all too pleased.

To reply you must either login or sign up.