Forum › The Moon on a Rainy Night discussion

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

The teacher so far seems like a solid guy, but why did the creator have to make him look so incredibly shady looking? haha

I think that's part of the point: He was introduced in the same chapter as another teacher, who takes the effort to look kind and go through the motions of caring about Kanon's condition, but who isn't actually interested in her as a person. By contrast, Miura doesn't put effort into [i]appearing[/i] sociable, but he does care about his students and pays attention to their needs.

While that would be an interesting character detail in its own right, it also plays into broader themes about appearances being misleading and honest effort being, that focuses on people, being necessary. It's a less extreme parallel to Kanon's hearing loss being invisible and how treating her as a generic "deaf person" isn't the same as giving her accommodation or actually helping.

last edited at Mar 16, 2022 8:29PM

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

The teacher so far seems like a solid guy, but why did the creator have to make him look so incredibly shady looking? haha

I think that's part of the point: He was introduced in the same chapter as another teacher, who takes the effort to look kind and go through the motions of caring about Kanon's condition, but who isn't actually interested in her as a person. By contrast, Miura doesn't put effort into [i]appearing[/i] sociable, but he does care about his students and pays attention to their needs.

While that would be an interesting character detail in its own right, it also plays into broader themes about appearances being misleading and honest effort being, that focuses on people, being necessary. It's a less extreme parallel to Kanon's hearing loss being invisible and how treating her as a generic "deaf person" isn't the same as giving her accommodation or actually helping.

Makes sense, I'm just glad he didn't do anything bad. Sometimes authors like to surprise us by suddenly driving off the road and over a cliff, so I guess I have some trust issues :P

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

I’m glad Miura seems like a good teacher. Maybe this is just my brain being poisoned but when he laughed after hearing Kanon say she wanted to sit next to the person she liked I just suddenly thought “oh he’s definitely gay”

Zzzz
joined Nov 18, 2019

Wow, so this manga upgrade to subtext to real yuri YESSSSS¡¡¡¡¡ ,also i get her, i mean is good to see some human decency in people with power and authority over us (bosses, teachers etc) but also is frustrating 'cause it remember us how different we are comparing to others idk is weird.

joined Mar 17, 2022

There is no way the title does not mean there'll be a confession scene and it will be rainy and hard to hear and kanon will think other girl said moon and i will ROLL in my coffin

Type1afterthecurtaincallssoyoungregrets_sm2
joined Sep 1, 2021

I’m glad Miura seems like a good teacher. Maybe this is just my brain being poisoned but when he laughed after hearing Kanon say she wanted to sit next to the person she liked I just suddenly thought “oh he’s definitely gay”

Right?! Miura is loner, and despite having an aloof attitude he's a warm and humble teacher. He acts like he's either closeted and used to distancing himself or out to prejudiced coworkers. Given that sort of shell and a time-consuming-looking hair design, I also think he's gay.

That Japanese Sign Language sign earlier was basically where I expect this series to go. The sign is real in it's subculture for serious lesbian relationship, and marriage though the national laws around marriage haven't changed yet (the courts approved but the elected diet haven't). Saki is blatantly lesbian, and seems anxious about being a minority and different, but it's not comparable to what being disabled is like. That's intersectionality. The different way the two main characters got into music is also a good flashpoint.

I'm worried that The Moon On A Rainy Night is either began as a yuri release valve or as a trial due to Living With My Brother's Wife being blocked or delayed from further going too far into LGBT issues. So far, Saki's character design and visible personality is very similar to Shino. Saki is determined, calmer when not around Kanon, and self-aware. Shino is more bubbly and has gradually matured into becoming earnest but she's been repeatedly stated to not understand her own emotions. This year would be about the timing Shino would become self-aware of being gay if she ever does, and her series has had clear discussion with a queer character about it changing their life recently, and it's at a turning point... Even with all that, given someone Shino-like and lesbian in this probably faster-paced series, I'm concerned it began partly from a transplanted plotline. Both gals are dedicated and heartfelt characters though, so hopefully the connection is just that Kuzushiro has a soft spot for this design... I need to let go of this meta a bit so I'm not stressing while reading these two favorite series. I'm so glad this series isn't full of romantic subtext.

last edited at Apr 9, 2022 7:32PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

There is no way the title does not mean there'll be a confession scene and it will be rainy and hard to hear and kanon will think other girl said moon and i will ROLL in my coffin

It doesn't take the manga even half a chapter to explain exactly what the title means.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

So far, Saki's character design and visible personality is very similar to Shiro.

S/b “Shino,” throughout.

I’m not sure why a series would be editorially blocked from developing a yuri theme when it’s allowed to introduce a fully developed trans character.

joined Mar 17, 2022

It doesn't take the manga even half a chapter to explain exactly what the title means.

Ok but. The title could have a DOUBLE meaning screaming emoji

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

This is a good manga, but seriously, that teacher? He KNOWS he has a deaf student and still teaches like that. That guy is unbelievable

Unbelievable?--try "completely normal." It's incredibly hard for hearing people who aren't trained in special-needs education to keep in mind the needs of people with hearing difficulties in circumstances like classroom teaching. And people habitually do things like cover their mouths, or turn their face away, or drop their voices at the end of sentence when they speak.

Habits like speaking to the class while writing on the board at the same time--as math teachers always are doing--are very hard to break.

And once the situation is explained. to the teacher, he apologizes, and asks for more feedback from her.

joined Oct 27, 2018

I read the first couple chapters then dropped it. I gotta say though, after picking it up again, I'm loving her development, she went from, "I don't need any support" to actually being a bit more honest about her limitations, good stuff. I love how the teacher explained that his adjustment isn't special treatment, it's making sure she has the same opportunity to learn as everyone else. I'm also digging how the sexuality of the other girl plays directly into the theme, that's pretty rare.

Woof
joined Feb 8, 2013

credit pages are always so precious)))

69c76a90jw1exw6rq32l5j215o1jkwwc
joined Jun 1, 2013

I craughed at credit pages uwu

Type1afterthecurtaincallssoyoungregrets_sm2
joined Sep 1, 2021

So far, Saki's character design and visible personality is very similar to Shiro.

S/b “Shino,” throughout.

Ah! I really typed her name wrong every time!

I’m not sure why a series would be editorially blocked from developing a yuri theme when it’s allowed to introduce a fully developed trans character.

"Allowed" huh... It's sad how true that is. Heidi merely existing, their subplot, and especially their role as an emotional guide are all so much setup that I've been cautiously expecting romance since. The compounding setup and subtext are still not direct evidence Ani no Yome will become a romance story, only that it should.

Shoujo ai can be published in seinen magazine Young Gangan by Square Enix, but the magazine does not publish series about realistic lesbian thinking. Baka-Updates lists their full shoujo ai / yuri series as action ecchi. Corpos may favor brand more than the genre shift of a profitable long-running series into a disconcerting and serious lesbian romance. No less one involving Shino's first-love for a woman who is now her emotionally-dependent guardian. There's nowhere better for this sort of manga in Enix's own current portfolio. They can either break new ground or the series can move to a competitor.

In comparison! The Moon on a Rainy Night is initially published on a Kodansha website, a larger publisher with a more varied portfolio. The website probably makes tracking the demographics of readers easier than back-of-the-issue surveys. This less limited series started just when the other series was approaching the edge of the style of its magazine. Freedom is great, data is great, selling monthlies through two sometimes-competitors is a power move. It still makes me wary of the fate of the other story but I'm all aboard for this disability-lesbian intersectionality.

last edited at Apr 10, 2022 1:34AM

Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

New chapter up on mangadex. I liked it.

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

"Excuse you, I don't want to get close to your sister because it'll make me feel like a white night savior, I want to get close to her because she's hot"

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

Rinne really is making it crystal clear what she thinks of people who get close to her sister huh. Wonder how this newly introduced subplot will develop

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

"Excuse you, I don't want to get close to your sister because it'll make me feel like a white night savior, I want to get close to her because she's hot"

The only correct answer

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Its always the rite of passage in any romance manga to get the approval of the sibling first. Lets see how our contestant handles her first challenge

joined May 10, 2021

Oh my words 0mniessence back at it with a perfect meme credit page!

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I don't think Saki has done anything to deserve that credit page...

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

That's rude...

joined Sep 16, 2019

Feeling some Hibike vibes this chapter...

Pinekon
joined Jan 10, 2022

What a lame chapter. I'm not saying that any of those things introduced in this chapter are lame in themselves, just the way they're presented. "Oh and by the way this totally evil-looking teacher that turned out to be cooler than he looks has this tragic thing that happened to him" a few pages later we learn about this sister we never ever heard about and she's already antagonistic to one of the protagonists. As I said, I'm fine with all of this, just the way it's presented is... Oof...

Download_20181110_194445-1-1
joined Feb 12, 2016

What a lame chapter. I'm not saying that any of those things introduced in this chapter are lame in themselves, just the way they're presented. "Oh and by the way this totally evil-looking teacher that turned out to be cooler than he looks has this tragic thing that happened to him" a few pages later we learn about this sister we never ever heard about and she's already antagonistic to one of the protagonists. As I said, I'm fine with all of this, just the way it's presented is... Oof...

I feel like the teacher is fine cuz it fits the whole unseen theme of the manga, but the sister, I'm not sure what to make of her just yet. I mean, her caution isn't unwarranted, tho exaggerated

To reply you must either login or sign up.