Forum › Posts by Kollie79

joined Jun 21, 2021

Ay my girl is back! *cries in withdrawal. Please don't get canceled or licensed

Why would you not want it to get licensed?

joined Jun 21, 2021

Wow that’s funny I just reread seagull Villa over the weekend randomly lol

I don’t care what anyone says, Naoko has a solid track record for Yuri, let her cook. I’m always here for whatever wacky thing she’s going for lol

last edited at Nov 14, 2023 3:41AM

joined Jun 21, 2021

My children I missed them!

Kollie79
joined Jun 21, 2021

Honestly, this chapter did go a fair ways to making the Mizuku/nurse couple compelling to me, which I had not really thought was possible beforehand, so good job author lol.

Thats kinda funny because it does the opposite for me, now that I know the nurse met her back when she was still a middle schooler I think its even weirder that she would ever want to date her

joined Jun 21, 2021

guess who got licensed

You love to see it

joined Jun 21, 2021

Back after so long for this feels bad lol

joined Jun 21, 2021

Midnightgunner posted:

There is nothing to spoil because this series is still ongoing. Chapter 19 came out like yesterday

What about the raws?

The raws came out like yesterday too. The scanlator is uber fast.

It's a shame that actual good stories don't translate as fast as this...

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Plenty of people love Kyoukano (including me, or I wouldn't translate it so fast).

We appreciate the speed you bring us this latest toxic cesspool

joined Jun 21, 2021

This series finally got picked up for an English release thank god I can add it to my shelf

joined Jun 21, 2021

I’m gonna reverse my judgment to see how long this unnecessary drama screws with the story. Do we really need drama and miscommunication keeping our characters apart after this many chapters? Like come on

joined Jun 21, 2021

it really did have a super bad ending, which is really sad. I coudnt even understand the ending unitl i came here and read the spoiler summary to get a cearer idea of the "message"

Kollie79
joined Jun 21, 2021

It’s really ending? Feels like the end of an era

Kollie79
joined Jun 21, 2021

Man the negativity here is something else lol. I’m glad I’ve never had a problem with dropping series I don’t like or just enjoying things for what they are. Some of you all are talking like you lost the energy to get out bed after reading the latest chapter

joined Jun 21, 2021

I love the series and I just can't stand the MTL chapters on Mangadex.

No ETA for the missing chapters though. I have other series on my plate.

Appreciate Whatever you give us, it’s pretty easy to spot the difference in quality. We’re all just kinda taking what we can get with that version lol

joined Jun 21, 2021

Oh hey thanks for the update, no offense against the other translators I appreciate them working on the series, but it was a little rough

joined Jun 21, 2021

Seems a bit over dramatic but thank you for at least explaining it to me, I knew there had to be something there more than “they wanted to”

Over dramatic is my middle name. No, but I genuinely hate Rae because it does not look anything like how it's pronounced. Whenever I see people calling Rei that I read it as Raé (like Caesar in the Latin pronunciation) or less often Ree (like Caesar in the English pronunciation)

Scandalous. Rae is short for Rachel, and so is commonly pronounced the same as "ray." Which is how Rei is pronounced in dubbed anime.

The real sleeper issue? Rae is short for Rachel, which is not Rei's name at all.

I don’t think it’s exclusively short for Rachel

joined Jun 21, 2021

Seems a bit over dramatic but thank you for at least explaining it to me, I knew there had to be something there more than “they wanted to”

Over dramatic is my middle name. No, but I genuinely hate Rae because it does not look anything like how it's pronounced. Whenever I see people calling Rei that I read it as Raé (like Caesar in the Latin pronunciation) or less often Ree (like Caesar in the English pronunciation)

Honestly when I read through my physical copies I didnt even consider there would be any meaningful difference in pronunciation between Rei, Rae, or even Ray. English is full of so many homophones it didnt even phase me lol. But I admit even when first starting the series and reading the unoffical stuff I wasnt aggressively making sure I always read Rei with the more accurate japanese pronuciation.

I still hold that this series wouldn't work as an anime. The manga already loses a lot of what made the novel work by taking out the internal monologue and the biased POV

doesnt this kinda apply for pretty much any book adaptation? I cant remember a single time off the top of my head where I watched a show or movie of a book and didnt feel like something was lost because we werent in our leads head as much

last edited at Dec 13, 2022 7:50AM

joined Jun 21, 2021

I really didn’t think the trailer looked all that bad, I feel like you guys are being a nitpicky. It didn’t blow me away in terms of animation or anything but my first thought definitely wasn’t that it looked rough

...why the fan translations always seem to still go with the Rei spelling. I only ask now because the official anime Twitter and even the author seem to consistently call her Rae in english

Rei is the way her name in katakana "レイ" is written in romaji. Romaji is used to show how Japanese words are pronounced. Just the official translation changed it because they wanted, and because it looks more "European"(cause the story takes place on somewhere that looks like Europe) and that's why the author used Rae cause it's the official used for Rei's name outside of Japan although if I were the author I would have requested to keep it as it is in the original.

You’re saying they just change it because they wanted, but is there really nothing in the text to suggest this? I only ask because basic text for the back of volume 1 machine translates the characters name as “Rei” at first, and then “Ray” in the game

Not that I’m saying machine translations are very accurate, it just caught my eye that it picks up on something to cause two different spellings, do you know why it would do that?

Oohashi Rei is written in kanji while Rei Taylor is written in katakana. They wanted to convey the difference and chose the worst spelling to do it with.
Rei is definitely the better pick, you lose nuance but at least it doesn't make me puke like fucking Rae. Ray also works

last edited at Dec 13, 2022 6:47AM

joined Jun 21, 2021

...why the fan translations always seem to still go with the Rei spelling. I only ask now because the official anime Twitter and even the author seem to consistently call her Rae in english

Rei is the way her name in katakana "レイ" is written in romaji. Romaji is used to show how Japanese words are pronounced. Just the official translation changed it because they wanted, and because it looks more "European"(cause the story takes place on somewhere that looks like Europe) and that's why the author used Rae cause it's the official used for Rei's name outside of Japan although if I were the author I would have requested to keep it as it is in the original.

You’re saying they just change it because they wanted, but is there really nothing in the text to suggest this? I only ask because basic text for the back of volume 1 machine translates the characters name as “Rei” at first, and then “Ray” in the game

Not that I’m saying machine translations are very accurate, it just caught my eye that it picks up on something to cause two different spellings, do you know why it would do that?

joined Jun 21, 2021

Anime adaptation confirmed

Which brings up a kinda unrelated question maybe someone who’s worked on the translation or just knows probably basic knowledge on the language, but I’ve been curious on why the fan translations always seem to still go with the Rei spelling. I only ask now because the official anime Twitter and even the author seem to consistently call her Rae in english

last edited at Dec 13, 2022 4:45AM

Kollie79
joined Jun 21, 2021

I'm surprised this one hasn't been licensed in the U.S. by now––I mean, it's been going for a while without one, even though it seems like a shoe-in. But I thought for sure Can't Defy the Lonely Girl would have had an English-language release as well, and it hasn't got one. I feel like between Vampeerz, Catch These Hands, and Run Away With Me, Girl getting published in English, and these more cute, straight-down-the-middle titles not getting published, I can't predict what'll be translated and what won't.

this hit me where I live, I can't believe lonely girl never got published, both deserve it

I almost dropped reading this one. The twins and Uda are super annoying to the point that I cannot deal with the plot, Sure those three do serve the purpose of moving the plot, like a little push. But I am sure they do not need to act so annoying. I think as the readers are more likely to be 10 years old than 21, it has this shoujo manga vibe, it would not matter much if the MCs are a hetero couple. I'll give it a go again, after reading the matching ring chapter. If there is one thing that I hate in many Yuri plot, then it will be Cultural Festival. 3 chapters are too much for me.

damn why you talking like you got a good point?

last edited at Nov 27, 2022 11:18AM

Kollie79
joined Jun 21, 2021

Does anyone else have to slow read these pages? I can’t handle all this fluff and sweetness

joined Jun 21, 2021

Aye this got picked up for official English publication, it deserves it and I deserve to have it on my bookshelf so I’m happy

Kollie79
joined Jun 21, 2021

I need this licensed so I can put it with my collection! Really hoping they get picked up for official licensing and merch.

After lonely girl went it’s whole 32 chapter run not getting picked up I’ve lost all hope for seires I love getting official English publications

Kollie79
joined Jun 21, 2021

This series deserves more eyes on it I swear

joined Jun 21, 2021

And all good things come to end, I’m gonna miss this series, but it has a very healthy run, and lots of fun dedicated to the the actual couple as a couple.

I still can’t believe it never got picked up for an English publication during its run