Forum › Posts by Gellydog

Gellydog
Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

I wonder if Xiu asked Song to bid on the painting. Youyan notes that he's been looking and smiling at her, and since Xiu doesn't seem surprised that Youyan was the one who asked Tao to buy it, it's possible this was all a test (or a tease) from Xiu to Youyan to see how she'd react. And they both used someone else to actually bid as a cover.

That would not explain the glare she sent him. It was pretty spicy

Oh dang, I totally missed that! Yeah, I agree with folks now, it seems like Xiu was definitely not appreciative of his attempt.

It's interesting to think about the differences between this life and the original one. Youyan doesn't seem to know much about Song and Xiu's relationship beyond that it happened, and that she immediately abandoned their wedding and marriage to mourn Youyan. But I think how they got together the first time is going to be relevant, especially as Youyan's changes ripple forward.

She and Xiu already have a much better relationship than last time, so it seems unlikely Xiu is going to be actively moving toward Song, but clearly something pushed them together the first time around. Family pressure? Comphet? Some kind of publicity thing? Or maybe Song just really likes Xiu and, originally, with her heart broken she didn't see any reason not to accept?

Gellydog
Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

I wonder if Xiu asked Song to bid on the painting. Youyan notes that he's been looking and smiling at her, and since Xiu doesn't seem surprised that Youyan was the one who asked Tao to buy it, it's possible this was all a test (or a tease) from Xiu to Youyan to see how she'd react. And they both used someone else to actually bid as a cover.

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

So far I’m not enjoying this quite as much as Still Sick, but I am still enjoying it. I’m kind of surprised to see so much vitriol in the comments

That's basically where I am. Still Sick was very focused on the Shimizu/Maekawa relationship, and was pretty grounded. This has a lot more contrivances, but I think it's still enjoyable.

Gellydog
Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

Also that sex scene was kinda creepy? Or am I wrong for thinking this was extremely rape-y.

It was rape.

It is incredibly frustrating to watch all these women get fucked over by a system that's run by powerful men and turned against each other. I'm glad Kayo pointed out to Junko that she's not some mastermind who's "won," she's just acted as a tool of those assholes who definitely plan to throw her away the instant she stops being convenient for them. I dearly hope there's not some "redemption" waiting for Junko at the end of this, because she definitely doesn't deserve it.

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

I sort of love the empress? Usually the "clueless" character is clueless because they're just dumb, but she's clearly quite clever, just good at hiding it. Concluding that the emperor might be impotent, and so trying to help by ordering special food is really subtle and actually kinda sweet.

I also like that she's secretly an author. I wonder if the work, like its reference, is also yuri? Could be nice foreshadowing that she's into that sort of thing, along with not batting an eye at the scroll.

In case the T/N is too small to read, the reference is to this one: https://dynasty-scans.com/series/childhood_sweetheart_liaoliao

Thank you! I actually did know that one, but it's good in case other people want to check it out.

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

I sort of love the empress? Usually the "clueless" character is clueless because they're just dumb, but she's clearly quite clever, just good at hiding it. Concluding that the emperor might be impotent, and so trying to help by ordering special food is really subtle and actually kinda sweet.

I also like that she's secretly an author. I wonder if the work, like its reference, is also yuri? Could be nice foreshadowing that she's into that sort of thing, along with not batting an eye at the scroll.

Gellydog
Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

i feel bad that yunduo struggles with internalized homophobia, but god she pisses me off.

Yeah. I get her feelings and her struggle, but it really bothers me how she keeps taking it out on Xingyuan. She's clearly jealous and angry that Xingyuan is getting the attention from Xiaoen that she wishes she had, and that's causing her to passive-aggressively try and squash their relationship. But while Xiaoen is too kind to realize it, Xingyuan recognizes exactly the kind of self-loathing she's struggling with, and cuts right through Yunduo's bullshit.

Gellydog
Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

I also wonder if some of what Yunduo feels toward Xiaoen is colored by...not jealousy, but envy maybe? Appreciation for how Xiaoen is so unselfconscious about bucking those aforementioned pressures of what women "should" be like, and how Yunduo herself has never had the courage to do the same.

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

Auntie is unwell and unstable. Like, most of the characters act like they're in a somewhat exaggerated soapy family dramedy, and she's over here oscillating between murderous rage and suicidal depression. She doesn't need an apology, she needs therapy. And maybe a restraining order. I'm not even joking when I say I could see Kazuha waking up to find her standing over the bed with a knife, reading to "reunite" the two of them with the mother. Yikes.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying this for the most part.

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

This bonus chapter is super cute! But it's also, uh, kinda hard to get invested in Diana's obvious crush because Natori and Lapis are clearly the main couple. It's kind of why I always dislike love triangles, because someone's always going to get their heart broken.

Gellydog
Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

Y'know, this is actually a significant departure for Morinaga Milk. I mean, her characters have had anxieties, but only along the lines of "She's so awesome and I'm not (plus I'm a girl), so any hints I might be thinking I see of her maybe liking me must be wrong" kind of stuff. So self-deprecating, even a bit insecure, but nothing serious.

What we have here on the other hand, seems to be operating at an existential level--"Am I anything if she isn't looking at me? Is there a point to my existence?" This is not a kind of thinking Morinaga Milk characters have ever done before as far as I can remember. Living for the romantic partner, and maybe being supported by them to do . . . something, has always been more than sufficient for girls in Morinaga Milk stories. Often taking care of the partner has even been the basis of a character's career, going right back to Girl Friends--Mari became a nutritionist basically as an extension of cooking for her beloved Akko, and that was totally enough to make her happy and fulfilled. So yeah, this one is different.

It's definitely an interesting take, and I like that it shows that getting the relationship doesn't magically solve all their problems. Given that so many other stories end at that point and everything's great, it's nice to see that yes, they are in love and good together, but that doesn't erase issues that were already there. And it's very clear Yuna has issues that she's be burying and that are being brought out.

As someone else said, my only complaint about this series is that the releases are so spread apart it's hard to stay invested in the slow burn.

Gellydog
Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

Me when a new chapter of Princess of Sylph comes out: "Yay! The next five minutes are going to be amazing!"

five minutes later

"That was awesome! .... how long until the next chapter comes out?" sobs

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

If you want a picture of the future of this manga, imagine Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown - forever.

last edited at Sep 18, 2023 2:02PM

Gellydog
Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

I don't quite understand the conflict here. If the blind girl doesn't know what the brother likes she could just say anything. Just tell her your favorite foods.

She's not trying to pretend to be her brother. She's trying to be her brother. Lying about what foods "he" liked would defeat the purpose, because that means it's not "him" that Lily is interacting with.

She feels compelled to keep him alive through this deception, but is increasingly paralyzed by the realization that she knows basically nothing about him beyond that he worked a lot. That's why she's having nightmares about how he's "not someone you can become," because she's decided her only reason for living is to replace Kaoru and make Lily happy.

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

“Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die.”

I think this hits people harder than the other reprehensible stuff in this manga because that is usually portrayed in an extremely over-the-top, ridiculous or unrealistic manner, this was very down-to-earth and realistic.

Gellydog
Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

I love yuri; it's the only place where "Hey, wanna keep hanging out?" can be a confession worthy of the most passionate romances.

This is super cute, and while I don't cook, it's fun to see them run through the process to getting something yummy.

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

I don't want to be one of those people who overthink those silly/comedy plots, but how is sleeping together a nono while this is perfectly fine?

Well, regardless, I too bet this is just a bait. Still, a lot of baits nowadays go in a less obvious direction so I'm curious how that'll solve itself.

I think traditional Japanese culture views bathing, particularly same-sex bathing as more of a social or bonding thing rather than 100% sexual. I mean, they definitely know the implications (see: every manga scene where this happens), but I think that's part of the intended charm. Manga certainly has childhood friends having bathed together when they're young quite a bit. Which, at least for where I'm from, would still be pretty unthinkable except for siblings.

In this case, it's like a loophole. "Oh, we can't see each other naked because I'm underage and it's wrong to do that with prurient intent, but if we're just bathing together (in a wholesome and socially accepted way for girls and women to bond together)...and, I mean, you can't bathe with clothes on, now..."

Obviously, the extent to which you or I (or a court of law) see a substantive difference, well...

last edited at Aug 14, 2023 3:06PM

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

I like the setting of this, and the art is good, but the story continues to be one of the most frustrating things I read on this site, and it's entirely because of Shion. She really is the worst, but hey, at least she realizes it?

I think part of it is the bimonthly release. It's a long gap between chapters, so when each individual chapter brings up a conflict (in this case, Shion sabotaging Michiru out of jealousy), we've got a long wait to see any follow-up.

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

I'm still figuring that odds are good that Hibai and Gina are going to end up going rogue along with Rose and Benika. Probably as a result of the dual execution orders that are going to get triggered at some point here.

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

This was like a weird pod person ending. The characters feel like people who are almost, but not quite, perfect copies of the people we knew before.

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

I really love that Father Shirafune is just totally on board the Benika/Rose train now. Perhaps as a result of these extreme circumstances, but I do love the speech he gives. "Haha, you fools; my daughter's girlfriend is going to kick your asses."

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

Although Babylon's theoretical motives are kind of positive, my understanding is that that is not who they have been killing. To the contrary, they have been attempting to keep things calm so that change can (in theory) happen naturally in the longer term, by killing refugee leaders who agitate too much.

You said this in two different comments, but where did you get that idea?

I suppose it's open to SOME interpretation, but I got it from this line:
"Our influence exists only because we sow accidents among the refugees, namely those who threaten the peace or otherwise prove detrimental to the administration"
"Even if it means condemning them to oppression and exploitation?"
"They will not remain outsiders forever"

That kind of sounds to me like what I was talking about.

Right, yeah, that's what I thought, but reading it again is starker. The organization is definitely a force for the status quo, and huge assholes, either way. They clearly don't have a problem with murder and seem to believe in some long-term assimilation or something. I mostly got the positive part from how the Bishop states that they both started with the hope of helping the refugees, but disagreed over methods. So I assumed that was still the goal.

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

b) I love the fact that most of the comments here have basically decided that Gina’s insult for the government agency is now its official moniker.

I honestly forgot that's where it came from. Babylon vs. Our Lady of Ammunition.

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

I'm also interested to see whether the organization's reconcile. I didn't expect so, but both sides have been getting development to be more gray than they first appeared. (Babylon is working to protect the refugees by killing those who would profit off their plight, while the Church is fomenting armed attacks and riots)

Although Babylon's theoretical motives are kind of positive, my understanding is that that is not who they have been killing. To the contrary, they have been attempting to keep things calm so that change can (in theory) happen naturally in the longer term, by killing refugee leaders who agitate too much. Which makes sense if you believe the idea that the underclass ever naturally gets anywhere without struggle from below, or that unrest by disliked minority groups is just counterproductive to their situation because it invites backlash. I by and large don't (e.g. American gay rights began moving forward with the Stonewall riots), so that leaves Babylon an outfit that kills to maintain the unjust status quo while telling themselves they're on the side of the angels.

And indeed by this point it may be precisely because Babylon eliminated all sources of not-so-violent resistance, say potential union leaders and so on, that the church is driven to supporting all out violent insurrection as the only remaining option.

That's possible, however my memory is that they were targeting lowlifes and organized crime people. Ones who would give the refugees a bad name, or exploit them.

Obviously, you can still debate whether their approach is positive or likely to succeed at all (I doubt it), but I'm pretty sure they weren't supposed to be targeting "good" people.

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

Feels rather like Benika will start championing the refugee cause too ...

Yeah, definitely. Hibai thinks she's scaring Benika off, but I guarantee she'll come out of this far more sympathetic to the refugees' situation and Rose's struggles in particular.

I think the real question here is, will Hibai and Gina end up wanting to help Rose and Benika? They seem set up to be a personal bridge between the two organizations and our protagonists.

I'm also interested to see whether the organization's reconcile. I didn't expect so, but both sides have been getting development to be more gray than they first appeared. (Babylon is working to protect the refugees by killing those who would profit off their plight, while the Church is fomenting armed attacks and riots)