Forum › Posts by Pyrrho

Pyrrho
Type1afterthecurtaincallssoyoungregrets_sm2
joined Sep 1, 2021
Q54wzmy

Softcore handholding

joined Sep 1, 2021

I don't care for the opening much, but Usui Shio is exceptional so I'll trust this. I look forward to how the author writes leads who may not be ace or demisexual.

joined Sep 1, 2021

Just let us be with you a little more. I know we keep making it harder for you. I'm sorry.

Interesting that mini-Michi said "us" and "we" referring to herself and the star seals placed all over. And apologized. That sends a mixed message on whether she's more of a conscious spirit or more of a spell construct with the seals. Since she has emotions, I guess she could be a construct made of Michi's memories.

joined Sep 1, 2021

Gyaru-chan isn't hiding a thing, so I'll be annoyed if Almelia is too stupid to figure out the gist of what's happening. This isn't enough of a comedy for that level of idiot plot.

joined Sep 1, 2021

I feel a bit bad for Kaye falling for a taken woman, after losing her first girlfriend in a natural disaster. Ada's not even expecting to see Lan for 5 years or so. What a shame, Ada and Kaye are apparently each-other's type and can't help flirting.

joined Sep 1, 2021

Until that last text bubble, I thought they were good friends. (This being a romance) they could be roommates traveling. The platonic friendship was so pure and supportive, whether or not the bestie is starting to signal interest.

For being a story of bitter failure, I found this sweet and heartwarming. The focal relationship is the bedrock trust and not the romantic gamble.

last edited at Feb 23, 2024 10:26PM

joined Sep 1, 2021

How does Yui keep her captive though? Nightmare version is Makoto can be frozen like the world and cannot scream. Best case, most likely case, is the door has a lock. Yui's science is OP. Even if Makoto escapes, Yui can drag her back.

I'm not sure how dark this manga was, since the end was so unreasonable it felt like a joke.

joined Sep 1, 2021

Take this skeptically but Isuzu's hairlick is drawn so sharply and consistently this chapter, and her incisor when she scowls, I'm starting to doubt she's fully human. The comparison with Hinata in c36 p21 says it all. Isuzu's hair spike is always there, and her pointy fang when she scowls, makes her resemble the ogre characters much more than the human characters. And her ogre-level strongman ancestor has a version with a non-human biodad, so it's not breaking from the false-history worldbuilding. If so grandpa could be more racist than sexist about which traits disqualify her from being a warrior. Finding out you're more diverse while grappling with racism is less of a feelgood plot but would have a more interesting family dynamic. I'm leaning a bit over 50% she's technically an ogre girl, take a shot if I'm right.

It's also grandpa's fault she was put off and forgot to order more mint liquer. Bad human.

last edited at Feb 23, 2024 3:03PM

joined Sep 1, 2021

So, a cannibal yuri with SCP tropes? I like all the little mysteries that were set up. Hopefully this threads the needle between adorable and some of the disturbing premises. For starters, why EF appears to have been maimed and decapitated before being disposed of here.

joined Sep 1, 2021

This was a delicious volume, thank you translators! There was a surprising amount of progress, and a shortage of daily life. Coming up, an arc to make Aju interesting and a ponytail swordsman (probably joining the party sorta).

"...About all the absurd things I've missed. About all the things I don't understand that have hurt people. No matter how trivial it is, I don't want to overlook anything ever again..." Okay we'll hold you to it Naori. "I don't want to overlook anything. But this is..." Yes! Hinata is so into you. (I don't have much confidence in Naori aside from combat bartending.)

joined Sep 1, 2021
Ydkw27-1738854628383760780-img1

Hato and Ruri have such a healing dynamic. Oof, my heart... Their thought processes are aligning again...

Pyrrho
Drift discussion 21 Dec 20:22
joined Sep 1, 2021

I expected a twist, so the straightforward end felt like stumbling into a pothole. Maybe Nald Nobuzo's idea was cut down. The friend really was just a car salesman? Why that job? She had no ties to this case, other than happening to know some professional drivers and car thieves. If she was the assassin, or got in too deep as a middleman, it would make more sense than the clean-cut romance ending. Instead of one story we got a 3/4 baked investigation and 1/4 baked yuri love interest with unimportant connections.

The art by Color-LES was nice! Mage and Demon Queen has much improved art, and is very stylish, but I'm a sucker for the cool look.

last edited at Dec 21, 2023 8:23PM

joined Sep 1, 2021
104030619_p0

From afar it's almost elegant, and up close... Definitely comedy.

joined Sep 1, 2021

“You can’t fool Chizuru”? About Mitsuki? Who is connected with a record store (Chizuru went to), and had an angsty mix-up with Aya about a pair of concert tickets, and has a cool style? Chizuru still seems to be fooled about the two highly-compatible music geeks and their respective crushes.

I wish “fool” had a wider connotation in that closing sentence, considering Chizuru has plenty of clues now. It’d be a clumsy spot for exposition though.

Pyrrho
joined Sep 1, 2021
Slowrider88-1703344413429162254-img1

I hope this series of cursed ships continues.

Pyrrho
joined Sep 1, 2021

There's now exactly 777 Pages of pictures. It's not lucky or anything, I just like noticing numbers.

joined Sep 1, 2021

The sentences "They're yuri", "It's yuri", "She is yuri to X" are such a nonsense and mostly put aside the use of the word lesbian in yuri manga, come on lesbian it's not an insult, and lesbian relationships.

The problem shows up with how we can't know if Mika was making a statement at the time about the terms yuri (fiction) versus real (lesbian) sapphic romance, rather than a statement about yuri versus doubt that relationships between women can be romantic. Reading this chapter I realized that Yoshioka would have learned a lot about her sexuality through online sources outside of yuri fiction and otaku culture, so realistically her self-perception would gravitate more to the term lesbian and less to the marketable "yuri" through which Fuyu learned about her own sexuality.

If I'm understanding right, Mika was in love with Fuyu when Fuyu was working up to a confession, but Mika hadn't labelled her own feelings yet? So Mika's mistake was she rejected the idea of romance with other girls because she really did believe it only happened in stories, and took offense because a "yuri" fiction label or an assumption that romance is present would devalue what she considered a close friendship? Though Fuyu seemed pretty open about being a yuri fan she wasn't mentioning it directly when she was working up to confess, so I get the impression Mika hadn't come to terms with her own feelings at that point. Eventually Mika realized that Fuyu was distancing herself because of "the kicker", probably even that Fuyu interpreted it as rejecting her and not just demeaning her genre. If not while the two were growing apart in middle school, Mika respected her own feelings by the time she sent a text at the exact moment the mythic lovers supposedly meet on Tanabata earlier on. That's a bit tragic.

If Mika already knew her feelings were romantic (lesbian), and answered Fuyu while making assumptions about Fuyu's connection with yuri (imaginary), and still let the relationship crumble, the development is more of a forced misunderstanding.

joined Sep 1, 2021

Author, Yasaka: Pages of color art of longing gazes and an image of mutual gentle touches.
Also Author, Yasaka: "If you're wondering... Yuzu's probably just thinking about what's for dinner"

I think volume 1 extras is word of god; Yuzu rarely if ever thinks gay thoughts up to that point. The art can't be mined for scraps of meaning other than we know she has a deep emotional bond with Minami and little introspection early on. It was the likely case, but still a bit of a shame. She might gradually become aware without it being telegraphed to the reader, in those little moments facing away from POV after big moments, but overall she's still unrealistically dense.

Just caught up. I agree the underclassman rival plot is too sudden, too contrived, and I have low hopes for the second festival date especially if that's what pushes Yuzu. It seems within this author's ability to subvert or complicate the situation, like for Minami to negotiate out of the festival date to another time where it's a more relatable sexuality-testing date, or a situation that doesn't visibly affect Yuzu's possessiveness and Minami is the one to break... but I won't bet on it. Even Minami being outed this arc is too optimistic. No, either Yuzu will get worked up from an overdone situation or Yuzu will simply uncomfortably face away from the POV for another fist clench or a "that was scary!" interjection that won't matter a chapter later.

last edited at Sep 17, 2023 7:04PM

joined Sep 1, 2021

Happy mother's day, Kanna.

Pyrrho
joined Sep 1, 2021
Baduk__dog-1651972063056531456-img1

We need more Suletta athletta art. She's been shown doing running workouts like that silly jog. Like real combat pilots, the girl is definitely a fighter jock.

Pyrrho
joined Sep 1, 2021
Vvkagerouvvr2-1644981276259274755-img1

This gorgeous sequence capped off such dark visuals in the ED, for both of them, that I think it's as foreboding as it is heartwarming. That entire ED is just going to get more bittersweet over the course of the season.

last edited at Apr 15, 2023 7:57PM

Pyrrho
Pieta discussion 16 Mar 19:57
joined Sep 1, 2021

I expected a lot worse from the chapter tags and first chapters, but Pieta turned out to be a masterpiece. The lack of a romance tag fits, since the relationship of the characters isn't repeatedly proven to the audience, but the leads develop a very deep and dependent bond that includes and surpasses romance. Suicide, self-harm, and the toxic risks of codependency as a defense mechanism was called out as dangerous, without seeming idealistic or like the leads for sure had red flags for their relationship. I do wish we had seen slightly more of why Sahoko was attracted to Rio, beyond the flow of events and magnetism. Overall, this was beautiful and neither overly light nor overly challenging.

Not specifically autism or the like, but this story touched on the idea of being neurologically divergent. Often greatly different thinking or functioning or sensitivities than a person with more average psychology. The (heartwarming) doc couple's talk of neurodivergent people, or some subset, being evolved beings fragile to current society definitely sounds like certain medical professionals I've heard poetically thinking. That's complicated. Realism aside, the idea that there's a supernatural force related to their shared divergence pulling the protagonists together so they protect each other was a actually satisfying at that point, rather than saccharine or patronizing.

Edit: And I submitted just after the above poster also noted the neurodivergent aspect in a different way! I suppose that's the influence of being the featured series on the main page in 2023. And I was so surprised no prior comments noted it! The English term is late-90s but the paradigm seems to be spreading faster recently.

last edited at Mar 16, 2023 8:07PM

joined Sep 1, 2021

Okay but how about Mitsuki's rare comfy face.

It shouldn't take much for Mao or Chizuru to connect the dots between Aya's strong feelings about music, Onii-san, and Mitsuki.

joined Sep 1, 2021

Mashiro seems like a scammer and stalker to me, and I get a gross feeling when reading her. It's so sudden (and desperately inserting drama into the story at a lull). This looks exactly like impersonation fraud. Mashiro showed up saying she is connected to Nanami and that she has no better place to go, which forced a decision and leveraged Nanami's kindness and nostalgia. Every single thing about Maho is unverified, it's even called out that she keeps revealing knowledge she shouldn't have any source for.

I don't know Mashiro's angle though. She may be a stalker fan of Kaede who doesn't want relationships to get in the way of the manga, and found out that the roommate Nanami is a lesbian while she was close with the ex in Hakata. She may even be an actual underclassman who didn't know Nanami. Also, Maho has otherwise acted gentle and distant with Kaede, so the one she was glaring at was probably Koyuki (for being close with Kaede).

Meanwhile our girl Koyuki continues to improve as a person yet takes another loss. There wasn't even a day between her realizing real sappic relationships are valid and confessing, which is still relatively relaxing progress compared to the rest of this new arc.

last edited at Jan 12, 2023 6:23PM

joined Sep 1, 2021

Kaneike is getting development! I'm looking forward to more of her connections and interactions with Minamo. For now, let's be thankful and ignore the trend that every other teenage girl character has some kind of clearly implied point on a bittersweet love polygon. I feel like average tropes are going to continue to hold little influence, and I'm not sure what is or isn't predictable at this point.

Okay suu’s mother disappearing sounds weirder now. The family called the police when she disappeared?

It's seems pretty common and sometimes reasonable in a run-away situation where the family member left for reasons such as mental illness and/or conflict. We've seen something like an overstressed young mother having an emotional breakdown then leaving in a hurry, with anger and pain and possibly guilt. So conflict and her own distress.

last edited at Jan 12, 2023 12:29AM