Forum › The Mute Girl and Her New Friend discussion

006%20(1)
joined Aug 11, 2019

It doesn't really pertain to the chapter, but I do wonder what the inner voice sounds like to a telepath. Would it sound like mute girl's voice from before the operation? Or does it not have anything to do with that? If I consciously voice thoughts in my head, I don't think it reflects my actual voice.
It can't be that she just "reads" the words literally like she would a book, because then she couldn't tell tone or excitement, right? This has always fascinated me.

(I'm no telepath, this is just my personal experience and then extrapolation.) I don't communicate via talking very much, but I do have the information that came in via language (e.g. in messages, discussion on forums,...) played in my head as some sort of audio data, it "feels" almost like I'm hearing them, except that they clearly don't come from signals from my ears. Kind of like memories of spoken conversations. Unless I consciously force a known voice (from a person I know) to them, like imagining they said those things, those "inner audio" don't exactly have a voice, not even mine, but those "spoken" lines still have "inflections/intonations" that indicate the tones and moods and stuffs. Almost like a music sheet, I guess: core data hold the meaning (the notes->the melody), and the markings are additional data/instructions/comments (pace, loudness, instruments,...).

I imagine the telepaths would have the same process: He/she doesn't know what most of the people whose thoughts popped into his/her mind actually sounds like, so the brain would play the data without an actual voice, but the telepathy sense would still get the metadata of the tones, moods, and probably distinction of the sources of those thoughts (knowing thoughts come from different people).

Anyway, different people process data differently in their brains, I couldn't speak for every one.

joined Jan 3, 2020

Usually, cuteness is something I handle silently - appreciating it, sure, but I don't ever really feel the need to say anything about it (except maybe kittens because OMG KITTENS). However, the images of the mute girl holding her notepad up triggers something inside me that wants to scream "OMG THAT IS ADORABLE".

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Usually, cuteness is something I handle silently - appreciating it, sure, but I don't ever really feel the need to say anything about it (except maybe kittens because OMG KITTENS). However, the images of the mute girl holding her notepad up triggers something inside me that wants to scream "OMG THAT IS ADORABLE".

I’m the same way, only about Tsundere-chan’s reactions.

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

This is a rare series where I'm honestly not that impatient for a romantic outcome. Just watching both of them open up is extremely nice.

Also, do y'all think the mind reading is going to stay, or do you think that it'll fade once it's no longer needed (a la Fragtime)?

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Also, do y'all think the mind reading is going to stay, or do you think that it'll fade once it's no longer needed (a la Fragtime)?

I'm not sure why it would fade. It's relevant to make communication easy for this pair and it would seem pretty random to just lose such a power.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

You know, I'm starting to suspect Mashiro might be thinking Kokosaki really is too kind , but it's a secret from everyone.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I always thought the "voice" was just simplified way to call the abstract process everyone experience. You don't really "hear" anything, it's just different thoughts, images etc. floating around in your mind. When I think about something or create sentences in my mind, I don't actually use my voice or any voice, it just is there (unless I'm remembering quote or something). So I imagine, what Tsundere hears isn't any actual voice, but the raw thoughts of any given person. It would pose a question how she knows whose minds she reads, but since it's supernatural ability, I'd say she just does.

Kotoura-san presents it in the similar way. Kotoura was able not only to "hear", but also "see" the exact same thing other person was, so she wasn't just perceiving someone's inner voice, but also what they were imagining etc.

Nodoyue_avatar1
joined Aug 7, 2017

So now we know- she isn't mute because of some kinda mental block/trauma but from her vocal chords physically not working for whatever reason- probably some childhood illness.

Actually, if the use of "aphonia" is accurate to the original line, it's still ambiguous; according to Wikipedia, aphonia can be due to purely psychological causes (i.e. "psychogenic") despite being typically caused by physical trauma/condition (e.g. nerve damage, tumor, or tracheotomy).

Rabu2
joined Apr 22, 2019

(Qualia, for those who don't know, are the intrinsic internal feelings we get from certain sensations.)

Ahem.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

You know, I'm starting to suspect Mashiro might be thinking Kokosaki really is too kind , but it's a secret from everyone.

Dammit, now I wanna see that crossover.

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

YAY!

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

(Qualia, for those who don't know, are the intrinsic internal feelings we get from certain sensations.)

Ahem.

I was just thinking of this series, it's really interesting, and this debate kinda makes me want to read it again.

Also, it really needs to be renamed here. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be called "The Qualia Of Purple" instead (this makes sense in the end).

Profile%20picture%20leaaaaaaaaaaaaf
joined Jan 27, 2019

I swear seeing the blue sky in contrast with the colourless characters/world STILL made it colourful in a way, i really dont know how to put it but it'd be nice seeing colour alot more in manga, even if its not completely coloured, it really adds to the feel in my opinion

Aoi%20nagisa%20-%20s
joined Aug 17, 2012

Dammit, now I wanna see that crossover.

It would be an awesome double date

TheElusiveTaco Uploader
Dynastyicon
TheElusiveTaco
joined Jan 10, 2019

So now we know- she isn't mute because of some kinda mental block/trauma but from her vocal chords physically not working for whatever reason- probably some childhood illness.

Actually, if the use of "aphonia" is accurate to the original line, it's still ambiguous; according to Wikipedia, aphonia can be due to purely psychological causes (i.e. "psychogenic") despite being typically caused by physical trauma/condition (e.g. nerve damage, tumor, or tracheotomy).

The word used is indeed the Japanese word for aphonia: 失声症 (shisseishou). So as you said, the cause remains ambiguous for now (^_^;)

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

I had always thought "aphonia" was used for times when you can't speak because of a sore throat... and so, when I read M-Girl had aphonia, I was like: "Oh goodie, if it's just that, it's no big deal -- gargling warm honeywater will solve the problem!"

Then a friend told me the real meaning of the word aphonia. Doh.

Duke
joined Jul 29, 2017

The sudden colour in the sky was a nice touch.

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

The word used is indeed the Japanese word for aphonia: 失声症 (shisseishou). So as you said, the cause remains ambiguous for now (^_^;)

I don't suppose the author thought about this in this level of detail.

Annotation%202020-07-02%20193122
joined Apr 19, 2018

Kokosaki sounds like a kawaii as well as a rad bitch name at the same time

Senjougahara_sama
Rowow
joined Jun 12, 2017

The start of a beautiful friendship. Not Lizard

joined Jun 12, 2019

They’re adorable

joined Sep 2, 2019

I know it's not common for these type of series but it'd be really nice if this continues to get more and more lovey over time. There's just something about the dynamic between this couple that's really romantic.

Ohno
joined Nov 13, 2018

hopefully this hasn't been brought up yet but would she be able to read minds if they were texting each other? at some point they have to exchange numbers so that mashiro doesn't have to write down everything, and if kokosaki can't read minds over long distance, i think it would be an interesting change.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

^There's no real need for mind reading in texting, though. Them communicating long distance via texting would be no different from any other people, removing not only the significance of the mind reading, but also of the aphasia. I'm also a bit amused by you saying that Mashiro wouldn't have to write everything down if they text, when texting consists of doing exactly that.

Untitled%203
joined Feb 3, 2013

YAY!

To reply you must either login or sign up.