Joddascus
Yuru Yuri discussion 21 Jan 12:37
Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

Nice parallels being drawn between Nadeshiko’s gf and Kyouko

Joddascus
Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

Chiming in as a poly person: I think Risa definitely reads as poly to me. And while intentionally stoking your partner's jealousy is a dick move, I think Risa didn't quite understand how much it was hurting Yuka. Risa is both less likely to intuitively understand the intensity of a mono person's jealousy and she probably assumed that Yuka was being honest about being ok with Risa being poly.

If Yuka doesn't communicate, then Risa will have a much harder time understanding just how much Yuka's jealousy hurts.

Also, given the fact that Yuka agreed to date Risa despite knowing how Risa is, whether Risa was actually seeing other people or not is unimportant. The fact that it took so long after living together for Yuka to actually confront Risa is at least partially on her.

Joddascus
School Zone discussion 13 Dec 12:36
Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

Yeesh, Hiiragi owes her sister a massive apology. What an asshole.

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

I love that all of the sex workers have made Asumi into an accidental lady killer

Joddascus
Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

Reading this makes me reflect on all the little things I like about living with my partner. The dorky couple energy is contagious lol

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

I can’t tell if I’d prefer the system to be just Elsa or a third party slowly being won over by a cute romance

Also, I realize that the original love interests are far away, but it’d be fun to see them shipping the main couple or making do with each other

Joddascus
Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

I, for one, am rooting for the forbidden triad ending!

Joddascus
Liberty discussion 27 Nov 20:33
Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

Except Liz is trying to go back with Maki only because her first choice ended up being a asshole. This isn't character growth. This is just Liz being a selfish piece of crap. Had she really learned from her mistakes, she would have left Maki move on from all this crap. If she really cared about Maki, she would get the hell away from her.

If Maki tells Liz to leave her alone or that she wants to move on, then Liz doing so would show growth. Given that she didn't, I think Liz coming to her with an apology and accepting Maki's response is better than just vanishing without any communication.

As to Liz being selfish or not, I think that Liz deserves to be happy. That shouldn't infringe on Maki's own right to happiness, but I don't think Liz shooting her shot for a second chance is morally reprehensible.

Joddascus
Liberty discussion 27 Nov 14:57
Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

The problem with this is that the deep trauma she endured which caused her to behave as a borderline psychopath is being dumped in high school. I am not saying that such an experience is a pleasant one, or that it leaves no emotional scars, but I am saying that the levels to which she is traumatised are way, waaay too high for such an affair.

Just to illustrate my point, let us return to one of the earliest WHAT THE FUCK moments, the earrings. Maki gifts Liz some nice earrings. Liz suffers a mental breakdown, because it is a deep trauma (let me reiterate, all of this stems from being dumped by her high school girlfriend). Maki proceeds to apologise (for doing nothing wrong, she had no way of knowing that particular shape of earrings had any sort of traumatic meaning for Liz). Liz responds to the apology by slapping her, because that is what a mentally stable person does under such circumstances. And Maki's first thought afterwards is whether or not Liz is alright, because of course a chronic doormat like her would think that.

Liz is being a "victim" of a failed high school romance, for which she proceeds to vent in massively disproportionate ways on people who did her nothing wrong and showed her only kindness and love. She is not exactly the shining example of a flawed but sympathetic character that makes you root for her happiness.

I don't think there's any amount of trauma that makes Liz's behavior towards Maki justified. I find it just as compelling and believable that a mundane event had such a strong effect on Liz.

I don't think Maki's apology is framed as a "correct" response, either. Her character arc is learning to value herself. She's not at fault for what's happened to her, but she needs to learn to assert her worth and boundaries.

Maki doesn't have any obligation to forgive Liz or even hear her out. A good ending to the story could be Maki choosing to cut Liz out of her life completely.

I just don't think that's the only satisfying ending to their story. Maki forgiving Liz on the grounds that Liz needs to do better and fix her shit wouldn't compromise either character arc in my opinion.

Now, whether or not that could be executed in a satisfying way is going to at least partially be down to taste. I don't think it's too late to show them doing the work and earning a happy ending together, but that would require breaking out of the soap opera vibe we've got going right now.

So yeah, if you wouldn't forgive Liz in that situation, that's that's 100% justified. But I don't think it's a weaker choice for Maki to forgive her.

Joddascus
Liberty discussion 27 Nov 13:39
Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

Truly I don't understand people's hate for this series. Liz needs an arc!

The author started her with unprocessed baggage that's festered into a driving bitterness that leads to her hitting rock bottom by her own actions. To me it's more meaningful that she actually did a cruel, unjustified thing because of the scars of her previous relationship.

It seems that some people have designated her a "bad person" who doesn't deserve redemption or happiness out of some sense of punitive justice. I think she's a product of her environment and her own anxiety about being vulnerable. This doesn't justify her behavior, but it means that she's capable of being better.

I want to see her get better by realizing that not everyone she opens up to is going to hurt or abandon her. She can still fuck up and deserve happiness! She has to learn to do better by being hurt and seeing the consequences of her actions hurting others.

last edited at Nov 27, 2021 1:42PM

Joddascus
Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

The thumbs up lol

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

I really like this ending! I think having a kid is consistent with Arisa’s wants and shows a realistic, undramatic solution to the question of how to do it.

Also the conclusion with old Arisa reminds me of the video game Soma, except that Arisa is too positive to succumb to existential dread lol

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

The serialization is just so much different/better I can't imagine them being connected.

I feel like the rival flipping between her web characterization and her serial characterization would just create the impression that she has a creepy, estranged twin who’s also in love with the heroine

Why do I feel like I've read something like that before?

Now that you say it, it does feel familiar…

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

The dad feeling left out but absolutely determined to participate lol

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

The serialization is just so much different/better I can't imagine them being connected.

I feel like the rival flipping between her web characterization and her serial characterization would just create the impression that she has a creepy, estranged twin who’s also in love with the heroine

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

Oh hey, I remember this series. I remember dropping it cause something about it rubbed me the wrong way. It's been so long I don't remember what it was though.

Suppose I'll get to refresh myself as the chapters go up here.

It might've been that Rival-san was creepy and hard to root for in the web version. Although, the serialization made her characterization more clumsy-in-love and significantly less scummy.

last edited at Nov 16, 2021 2:20PM

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

I wonder if the heroine has her own system pop-ups that she's navigating to chase after Evie

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

Attention, Attention everyone! The egg is cracked! I repeat: The egg is cracked!

happy squee

Hooray!

Now she can laser focus on all of the previously unrecognized dysphoria

What I would give to have had my egg cracked that young though

last edited at Oct 21, 2021 12:51AM

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

Wait, each of the girls represents one of the five senses! That's a fun bit of theming for a harem

Joddascus
Image Comments 14 Oct 09:05
Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019
93358117_p0

Truly the Rider class is made up of Riders!

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

When they started talking about their body moving how they wanted feeling good , I thought it was pretty trans of them. Then Sakuma just fucking asked lol

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

I’m personally rooting for the teacher because the adult onee-san type so rarely wins. That’s only if poly’s not on the table, though lol

Joddascus
Image Comments 19 Sep 16:43
Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019
E_kjztxuyaazxrv-orig

A gay version of The Kiss!

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

I love the mom trying her best to support Tong Tong! She’s even broadening her (smut) horizons to understand better lol

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

Every chapter of this manga really tests my tolerance for cringe, but I think that is an intended effect lol

To be clear, I really like this manga, even if it destroys me with secondhand embarrassment

last edited at Aug 29, 2021 11:41AM