Forum › The Mute Girl and Her New Friend discussion

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

^I did mean for the serialization. Although I can see why it might not be enough for Weekly Shounen Champion​.

last edited at Jan 10, 2020 8:44AM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

^I did mean for the serialization. Although I can see why it might not be enough for Weekly Shounen Champion​.

The magazine is irrelevant. I think we already successfully explained why this is incredibly hard to pull off. Read the previous page. Such a small and intimate focus is hard to pull off for a serialization with more pages and a higher amount of chapters.

Even vapid 4koma manga that go nowhere have a lot more going on. They at the very least introduce more characters, shift focus occasionally and go for more extreme events. That means the current method is not sustainable unless the author can adjust to that challenge properly. The only thing that is similar that comes to mind right now is Hino-san no baka . That one is extremely intimate with almost no outside interference and managed to stay that way for a very long time. But the events were more extraordinary than the setting or characters.

last edited at Jan 10, 2020 8:53AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Futari Monologue shows that you can have 4-page chapters when serialized as well.

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

This is so wholesome HNNNGGG

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I just re-read this whole thing because, well, because much of the world sucks and is depressing, but this isn’t. At all.

One thing I noticed this time through is that, since the story is almost entirely about the two characters, much of the action is in their facial expressions—BUT since Mashiro is a total over-thinking worrywart, she looks distressed and nonplussed almost all the time, while Kokosaki is a tsundere who’s trying to look either indifferent or pissed off most of the time.

So in comparison, when Koksaki giggles it’s like a tsunami of cheerful feelings:

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/the_mute_girl_and_her_new_friend_ch03#last

Or when Mashiro hears Kokosaki say she’s her friend, she looks totally gobsmacked with an overflowing heart:

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/the_mute_girl_and_her_new_friend_ch06#4

So, facial expressions—nicely done, sensei.

Rsz_1screenshot_7
joined Aug 23, 2015

shes a tsun done right

joined Feb 23, 2016

Omg i’m so happy they are getting the attention! But more waiting for us T^T but i can’t wait! And thanks translator (≧∇≦)

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

I'm curious how romantic this series is going to be, especially considering the serialization. It's fine it stays as it's been, but I would love to see Kokosaki grapple with some less "pure" thoughts from Mashiro.

Also, I'd enjoy a chapter/arc with Kokosaki's power crapping out to see how she reacts to not always knowing people's true thoughts.

Ce1
joined Apr 11, 2016

Wait, we're not fight scenes? That's disappointing.

TheElusiveTaco Uploader
Dynastyicon
TheElusiveTaco
joined Jan 10, 2019

I realize now that I didn't make this fully clear, but I don't have permission to translate the serialization...
At this time, only the Twitter version will continue to receive an English translation. I'll have to see if there's anything we can do about that...

last edited at Feb 20, 2020 1:14PM

Senjougahara_sama
Rowow
joined Jun 12, 2017

Neat, I like fight scenes

joined Jul 26, 2016

Wait, we're not fight scenes? That's disappointing.

My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

joined Jun 12, 2019

I’m confused

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

How cute this is, I am thrilled that they got a serialization!!!

joined Oct 10, 2016

Blonde, pigtails, tsundere... Hipper is that you?

Also bummer, I seriously loved that story.

Download%20(11)
joined Jan 27, 2016

Words can not describe how much I love this

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Nice

joined Oct 27, 2018

I'm happy for the artist, but also kinda worried, weekly shonen magazines are notoriously terrible.

Im%20gonna%20fucking%20cry%20koyuki
joined Nov 5, 2017

Cute af

joined Jul 23, 2019

Words can not describe how much I love this

Even without fight scenes? xP

Aww her voice cuts through her heart, these past chapters have done the exact same to me, I'm so happy for the author getting a serialization. I look forward to seeing the raws.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

I believe that having a story with a mute girl protagonist/deuteragonist in itself has a lot of potential. A story with a mindreading girl has a lot of potential too. Mixing them should thus multiply the two, but it somehow doesn't feel that way.

Probably because of the way these chapters were handled, it feels incredibly intimate and limited to these two girls, which is a death sentence for long running formats. To make a full fledged series, more side-characters will have to be introduced and the special attributes of both girls will have to be challenged in more exciting/imaginative situations.

It's not impossible at all, but right now a cute little friendship to romantic build up seemed to be as far as the series wanted to go.

I think part of the reason they dont seem to multiply is that they cancel each other out to a certain degree.
Mind reader girl has no trouble knowing what mute girl wants to say because she still 'hears' it. A lot of the situations you could come up with that could add difficulties and more depth, can't be done so easily.. I mean you can work around it and have cases where mute girl is on her own etc- but not really as a bigger ongoing theme.

And as for serialization and having to add lots more to it, That would be mostly true- IF it had to be a long series.
I dont know how magazine serializations work but can't they ever say 'we want you to do a 10 chapter, 20 short chapters story' etc ? Where they all know up front you dont have to somehow keep it going for 10 volumes, just a dozen or so chapters? In that case you wouldnt necessarily have to expand it much.

last edited at Feb 21, 2020 4:35AM

joined Sep 6, 2018

In regards to its serialization: the reward for good work is more work... well done!

And just out of curiosity, I’d like to ask the mangaka if the telepath can “hear” thoughts through walls and doors?

The answer can add a dimension of challenge for MCs to deal with.

last edited at Feb 21, 2020 7:21AM

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Admiral Hipper is being serialised huh

Rsz_1screenshot_7
joined Aug 23, 2015

yey serialz

To reply you must either login or sign up.