Forum › Handsome Girl and Sheltered Girl discussion

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

Those parents sure are something. Telling their adult daughter to be home at 8.

Clipboard%20image%20(3)
joined Nov 11, 2018

As for Kanda's constant repetition of "we're both girls"... are y'all just forgetting that gay marriage still isn't legal in Japan?

Relationships don't need marriage to work out, and it's still annoying regardless. That said, this manga's enjoyable so far.

joined Nov 27, 2017

Best start believin' in yuri stories, Kanda-chan...

last edited at Dec 11, 2019 1:55AM

Tumblr_lxr5uv8e8n1qeoztuo1_500
joined Aug 13, 2018

Why are people so upset about the misunderstanding in this manga? It's not even the focus. 90% of the story so far is the fluffy developing relationship between these two and Kanda realizing she might be (totally is) gay.
As for Kanda's constant repetition of "we're both girls"... are y'all just forgetting that gay marriage still isn't legal in Japan? Even if Ookuma is okay with it, Kanda is clearly suffering from some internalized homophobia, hence why she tenses up and stops herself whenever she feels something for Ookuma.
Also, as for any potential "forced drama" between these two, does that really sound like Mochi's style? Anyone?

I wouldn’t even call it internalized homophobia. It’s totally normal for someone to be hesitant in accepting a perceived change in something as fundamental as their sexuality. Not to mention the potential guilt in doing anything to her while still deceiving her into thinking she’s a guy.

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

I'm so sad we can't legit have a P R O G R E S S moment like Sexy In Pink after a dream sequence. What a night and day difference. Just tell your gf that you are a woman and put me out of my misery already.

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

I like it, she's got it bad.

Hana3
joined Mar 22, 2018

Gonna take a stab at guessing that Naru is Mizuki's twin brother and some twin swapping will happen at some point. Please Mochi, subvert my expectations.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

TBH, to me, Naru actually looks like she's Kanbe-san's older sister.

last edited at Dec 11, 2019 4:30AM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Not to mention the potential guilt in doing anything to her while still deceiving her into thinking she’s a guy.

Oh yeah that, you know that the longer she keep it a secret, the more hurtful the betrayal is.If shereally want that relation then she need to tell the truth asap and not drag it to the point where someone else told Ookuma about it (accidentaly or not) instead of Kanda.

are y'all just forgetting that gay marriage still isn't legal in Japan?

Like It had stop Mochi before.You know that most of their longest are about yurincest right ? Which is far more problematic. I'm happy they progress but given their past works, it's strange to see a character having that kind of struggle.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

"But we are both girls..."

The longer this scam lasts, the harder it will be when it all blows up.

But I guess the author has something up their sleeve to make it work in the end, probably. It tilts more toward romcom than toward drama, so everything should work out between them.

Kanda is clearly a lesbian but she didn't accept it yet.

last edited at Dec 11, 2019 6:57AM

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

"But we are both girls..."

The longer this scam lasts, the harder it will be when it all blows up.

If the plot actually went there, it'd probably be interesting. But we're all sitting here, knowing that at worst there'll be a chapter of insecurity or so. That's why this drama is annoying; it'll never go anywhere. It's just a gimmick.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

I, on the other hand, find this drama funny. It doesn't have to lead somewhere when the story doesn't try to be that serious. It is mostly light hearted.
I mean, the whole Kadakun being a girl is the main theme. So it actually makes more sense to have that misunderstanding for a long time.

Also Kadakun looked pretty girly when she was in her sleeping clothes lol. The chapter fooled me in the beginning and I thought she had actually confessed to being a girl.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Looking East posted:

Dude is a somewhat gender neutral term depending on context and who is using it. I have had several tomboy female friends that used "dude" often just as an informal way to address any friend including other girls at times. It is used more often when referring to a guy but its not definitive.

It was originally gendered but at this point it's far more gender-neutral than gendered. Most people I've known that called people "dude" did so regardless of the subject's actual gender. So it really doesn't do much to narrow down whether this character is crossdressing/transgender/whatever. Nor does the use of "boku" in the Japanese version since it's not all that uncommon for girls to use it to refer to themselves either, it's considered tomboyish to my knowledge.

Zaimokuza%20ii
joined May 9, 2014

I want YOU to kiss her, Kanda-kun >/////<

joined Oct 22, 2018

^^ English ain't unique in that, either. In Serbocroatobosniomontenegrin, we initially used the word "čovječe" (nominative: čovjek (translates as "man" or "human")) was originally just used when adressing men. However, since around the 1970's, it started getting used by both genders in a more gender-neutral meaning, and since the early 2000's, it has been mostly used in a gender-neutral way. Since probably as early as 1960-ish, it was used in the same context as the English "dude".

last edited at Dec 11, 2019 11:23AM

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

I have graduated from "dude" and progressed to "bruh". I use it with female friends all the time. I am An Enlightened Woman.

joined Oct 22, 2018

I have graduated from "dude" and progressed to "bruh". I use it with female friends all the time. I am An Enlightened Woman.

We living in December 2019, meanwhile, you living in May 2020.

joined Sep 5, 2018

On an another note i'm curious about Naru. Kanda said dude while talking about Naru and ask it to go out because she gonna change so i'm wondering if Naru is actually a crossdresser […]

In the raw, that bubble has no address at all, neither gendered nor ungendered. It says “Kimoi wa”, so basically “That’s gross”. “Gross, dude” is just the translator’s flavoring.

I’m suspecting Naru to be a crossdresser too, though, since their hands have extra lines that make them look more masculine compared to Kanda and Oomura’s hands.

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

We living in December 2019, meanwhile, you living in May 2020.

I think calling them sis would actually be next level... You know, not be ashamed of a female noun of camaraderie. Not think it's weird. That's why I make an effort to call people women instead of girls. And I say woman instead of, "you go girl." We don't really use boy when a man is grown up, so why should we use girl with women? Also we always say, "what's up man?" Why not, "what's up woman?" Let's make being female not weird.

Anyway I don't think many of us, when we first considered homosexuality, were content with just thinking: "how does that work, oh it can't." All of us found out details at some point or another. And if it's a thing, it must work.

I'm bloody sick of your females can't be with females logic Japan!

last edited at Dec 11, 2019 7:18PM

Shithead
joined Oct 23, 2018

we need the classic "but we're girls!" conflict for maximum stupid cute fluff

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

This is my "Why am I reading this series?". (The art, of course. +College.Low bar. There are so few...)

Photo-thumb-19381
joined Nov 6, 2013

Plot twist: the resumé identifies her as her long lost half-sister. (Jk)

Anyways this one is a winner, i am really interested in the reveal, hopefully doesn't disappoint :>

Selfie
joined Aug 25, 2018

Majoccoid and Mochi Au Lait gives me life!!

Mind%20as%20judgement%20jpg
joined Nov 20, 2018

Is this story realistic? No.

I can't understand why so many of you are saying that this isn't realistic. Not only I don't need a story to feel realistic to enjoy it, but also I know that just because I've never seen/lived something like this it doesn't mean this stuff doesn't happen. And it's a comedy manga, please treat it as such.

Also, like other people said, I too am really glad that they aren't highschoolers, considering how most yuri manga are set in a highschool.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

You know, leaving the realism question aside for a moment, I feel like narratively Mochi doesn't really know what she's going for. If the suspense of not finding out that Kanda is a girl is the main focus (as it appears to be), then the end of Chapter 2 really ruined the entire tension. We already know that Ooguma said she would be fine with girl Kanda as long as she is just as cool. Now you can of course throw in the doubt card, because it was just a really outlandish hypothetical to her and the truth could hit her harder than it may appear, but I really don't think so.

Then what else is there to keep up the tension? Honestly, it seems more like Kanda falling in love and accepting that she wants a lesbian relationship is the true conflict in this story. By pretending to be Ooguma's boyfriend she vicariously lives the couples life she deeply wants, but believes she can't have.

If that is what Mochi is going for, I must give her more credit. The straightforward draw of this manga may just be a cover.

We don't really use boy when a man is grown up, so why should we use girl with women? Also we always say, "what's up man?"

All the men I know always talk about "Those are my boys/homies" etc. Or "Boy, what are you doing?"
Also it's generally accepted that women prefer to be called girls because it makes them feel younger, while boys prefer to be treated older than they are. It's just a psychological thing. Not everyone is like that, but generally it's just part of culture. No shaming involved.

last edited at Dec 12, 2019 10:46AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.