Forum › Handsome Girl and Sheltered Girl discussion

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

It just seems you want the story to be about something it's not. It's clearly about silly worries and misunderstandings. Also, just because Ooguma would be ok with a girl, it's not reasonable to think Kanda revealing to be one after all of this would be no big deal. I'm not a fan of drawn out misunderstandings myself, but it's only been 4 chapters that, frankly, aren't that long. "Undeniably stupid" is still very debatable at this point, no matter how angry you are about it.

I agree. Also people were already complaining about it since chapter two and even one, so even though I think that eventually it has to get revealed, this is still soon.

And maybe we're forgetting the fact that Kanda herself might not be comfortable being out and in a relationship with a girl, so pretending to be a guy is easier. There's a hint of internalized homophobia I think, despite the comedic parts as well.
She digs the hole deeper as more time passes by, so the whole point of the story could be about lying to your partner and its consequences. We don't know the purpose of this story yet, so it can actually serve something the author wants to show.

last edited at Jan 18, 2020 3:23PM

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

Fuck capitalism.

Heya, comrade!

Well said in English! Now try saying "Zdravstvujtye tovarisch!" without biting your tongue!

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Fuck capitalism.

Heya, comrade!

Well said in English! Now try saying "Zdravstvujtye tovarisch!" without biting your tongue!

Pfff. Considering that Russian is:
a) my third language and
b) pretty similar to my native language by virtue of both of them being Slavic
saying Здравствуйте, товарищ! is PISSEASY. Tho, more appropriate translation of what I wanna say would be the much simpler Хеи, товарищ!

Tho, I'd much rather shout it in my native language: Đe s', druže! if they're male, or Đe s', druge! if they're female.

last edited at Jan 18, 2020 3:46PM

586679-586678-51yyd2ts_il._sl500_aa300__super
joined Oct 4, 2018

The misunderstanding ? Till it's reveal. Like i said there is no point of having the misundertsanding when Ooguma doesn't care about Kenda's gender to begin with.

Are you perhaps talking about whatever Ooguma said in Kenda's dream in Ch3? Ooguma has never outright or even hinted that she's fine with Kenda being a girl (at least not yet with the misunderstandings and all).
The closest hint we have so far to her being fine with it or not was her reaction when she had Kenda dress up as a maid in that crossdress maid cafe their class did.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

We don't know the purpose of this story yet

That's a problem. After 4 chapters we should know what the purpose is no ?

And maybe we're forgetting the fact that Kanda herself might not be comfortable being out and in a relationship with a girl, so pretending to be a guy is easier.

Or she could have say no maybe ? I just hope the manga doesn't end up after the reveal and Ooguma brushing it over like that because it will broke the build up.

so it can actually serve something the author wants to show.

That's will be a first for Mochi tbh.

Ooguma has never outright or even hinted that she's fine with Kenda being a girl

Excuse me ? Did we read the same manga or what ? She said she will be ok as long as Kanda stay the same.

last edited at Jan 18, 2020 3:48PM

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

The misunderstanding ? Till it's reveal. Like i said there is no point of having the misundertsanding when Ooguma doesn't care about Kenda's gender to begin with.

Are you perhaps talking about whatever Ooguma said in Kenda's dream in Ch3? Ooguma has never outright or even hinted that she's fine with Kenda being a girl (at least not yet with the misunderstandings and all).
The closest hint we have so far to her being fine with it or not was her reaction when she had Kenda dress up as a maid in that crossdress maid cafe their class did.

Pages 21 and 22 of chapter 2. She does explicitly say "what if I was a girl" and Ooguma laughs it off and says she'd be fine with it. (Which I doubt is actually totally true, tbf).

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

Fuck capitalism.

Heya, comrade!

a) my third language and
saying Здравствуйте, товарищ! is PISSEASY. Tho, more appropriate translation of what I wanna say would be the much simpler Хеи, товарищ!

Tho, I'd much rather shout it in my native language: Đe s', druže! if they're male, or Đe s', druge! if they're female.

Hehehe, no fair, if you do speak Russian, that's cheating. ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°) It's only funny if you try to make a non-Russian non-Slavic-language speaker say it.

I'd do a horrible job if I tried to say it... even though I speak several languages, none of them is Slavic. My most exotic one is Hungarian, which doesn't belong to any of the big language families in Europe and is completely different from anything that's spoken in all the neighboring countries. Újfehértói fürtös ágyas meggypálinka ftw!

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

... I feel like I'm the only here who still comprehends that the obvious comedic nature of the plot seriously undermines any "the misunderstanding going on for so long is unrealistic" criticisms. Honestly, there have been manga where such a misunderstanding went on for much longer without that being a major complaint.

It isn't really about realism. It's about not liking the schtick for more than a brief gag. And at this point, Kanda has gone from awkwardly unsure how to reply to outright lying. It isn't fun reading about somebody that's lying to a girl in order to keep a relationship. Most of the time, when you have a plot like this, and it's meant to be funny, there's some other reason that the person can't reveal their secret: They're trapped in some larger web of lies. But here the only reason she's lying is to keep her girlfriend, and it isn't even clear that lying is necessary to keep her girlfriend. So instead of feeling sympathy for the girl that's trapped in a deception created by an accident, we feel frustrated at the girl who is using and lying to somebody to make herself feel good.

If there had been indications that the parents were opposed to a gay relationship, or if something was stoking her fears, it'd go a long way to building sympathy.

last edited at Jan 18, 2020 4:28PM

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Fuck capitalism.

Heya, comrade!

a) my third language and

Hehehe, no fair, if you do speak Russian, that's cheating. ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°) It's only funny if you try to make a non-Russian non-Slavic-language speaker say it.

Well, TBH honest, even though I understand Russian when I listen to or read it and can read it fluently, I, all things admitted struggle a bit when trying to build full sentences in Russian.

I'd do a horrible job if I tried to say it... even though I speak several languages, none of them is Slavic. My most exotic one is Hungarian, which doesn't belong to any of the big language families in Europe and is completely different from anything that's spoken in all the neighboring countries. Újfehértói fürtös ágyas meggypálinka ftw!

Well, the reason Hungarian, or Magyar, is so different from anything in Europe is that, while most other languages of Europe are part of the Indo-European family (its existing branches being Italic, Celtic, Germanic, Slavic, Hellenic, Albanian, Armenian, Iranic and Indo-Aryan, and extinct branches being Anatolian and Tocharian), Hungarian is part of the Ugric branch of Finno-Ugric, itself a branch of Uralic. The only other two Ugric languages are Khasy and Manti, in Western Siberia, while the rest of the Finno-Ugric are a number of Finnic languages, including, but not limited to: Finnish, Estonian, Komi-Permic, Mordovian, Mari, Udmurt, Sami, etc. The other branch of Uralic language family are Samoyedic, the most notable member of that branch being Nenets (which much of the civbattleroyale subreddit members fondly know as "Wait... the Nenets are in CBRX season 1? Are you sure? They've been so inactive that I forgot they were even added, let alone that they're still alive.").

At this point, it would be better if we moved this conversation to Dynasty Café, too.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

... I feel like I'm the only here who still comprehends that the obvious comedic nature of the plot seriously undermines any "the misunderstanding going on for so long is unrealistic" criticisms. Honestly, there have been manga where such a misunderstanding went on for much longer without that being a major complaint.

Yes, my thoughts exactly. I get the feeling that a lot of people who criticize this manga don't get the situation of the two MCs -- or, in some cases, do get it, but complain anyway because they wish it was something different.

At the beginning, there were two plain vanilla hetero girls. Hetero by default, so to say, because none of them had ever considered that it was possible to be something else. They started dating by accident: one of them mistook the other for a guy, and the other was too embarrassed to point out the mistake. Now, as of chapter 4, after going out for some weeks, their circumstances are:

1) Ookuma is afawct still a plain vanilla hetero girl, who thinks she's dating some awesome guy who is cool, manly, good-looking, protective and everything she could wish for in a boyfriend.

2) Kanda is changing very quickly. She's obviously falling for Ookuma. She likes her, she's turned on by her, and she's gotten to the point where she seriously looks up things like "same-sex marriage" in Google. But she still doesn't want Ookuma to find about her true gender. Why? See (1).

Their relationship, as it is, can go on for a long time. Only when Ookuma realizes the truth there will be sudden (and brutal) development. But, in the meanwhile, the story will keep on moving forward at the present pace. And there will be comedy, and we are supposed to enjoy it. And I, for one, like it like that. The big reveal will eventually arrive, sure, but I'm in no hurry to get to it.

joined Jul 23, 2019

Nenets (which much of the civbattleroyale subreddit members fondly know as "Wait... the Nenets are in CBRX season 1? Are you sure? They've been so inactive that I forgot they were even added, let alone that they're still alive.").

LOL! We are such total geeks in Dynasty forums. XP

At this point, it would be better if we moved this conversation to Dynasty Café, too.

Or to Linguist Forum, that would work too.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

But she still doesn't want Ookuma to find about her true gender. Why? See (1).

But she said she will be ok if Kanda is a girl if she stay with the same cool attitude. That's the main problem we had. Kanda don't want Ookuma to found out is just farfetch and her own cowardice at this point. Ookuma is for nothing, the whole problem lie in Kanda.

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

Újfehértói fürtös ágyas meggypálinka ftw!

You say tomato, I say tomahto.

You say újfehértói fürtös ágyas meggypálinka, I say kirsch.

Germanic languages sure make it short. :D

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

But she said she will be ok if Kanda is a girl if she stay with the same cool attitude.

Were I in Kanda's shoes, I too would take that statement with a grain of salt...

1011820_10203495624854953_6088973233617870240_n
joined Aug 29, 2019

Thanks Cyan Team!! as always doing a great work sharing it with the community!

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

I love the art in those two

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

I'm also here for the art I think. Oh, right, and that they're in college and not preteens.

The humor is definitely not my cup of tea. If only my reading list were longer... *sighs*

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

I also prefer adult yuri to high school, but it's gotta be pretty fucking rare to have preteen yuri, that's early middle school. Most of it is on young teenagers (I never get why they're not at least seniors in highschool, so they're less young, unless it's a story covering multiple years or where the year they are in is a plot point).

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

but it's gotta be pretty fucking rare to have preteen yuri, that's early middle school

i don't remember a lot of middle school set-up. Only "middleschool" i remember is the MC of Vampeerz who is 14 but it's late midschool and well the other is a vampire. There is Skeeter Rabbit but i don't think that's really good.

I also prefer adult yuri to high school

I loved some adult yuri from time to time.

Unknown%20(1)
joined Jan 30, 2019

it's making me craaazy i want her to tell her she's a girl but also. i don't want it

last edited at Jan 19, 2020 11:21AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I also prefer adult yuri to high school, but it's gotta be pretty fucking rare to have preteen yuri, that's early middle school. Most of it is on young teenagers (I never get why they're not at least seniors in highschool, so they're less young, unless it's a story covering multiple years or where the year they are in is a plot point).

I think the setting of first- or second-year high school as a default makes a lot of sense in terms of economy of storytelling, actually.

For yuri manga as a romance genre in particular, the “first love” trope simplifies matters considerably in terms of generating a previous sexual history (the characters don’t need to have had any, or even to be aware of the nature of their own sexual preference yet), but high schoolers are still old enough for the romance to be perceived as “real” (many het couples get married right out of, or even while still in, high school).

The third year of high school in Japan is apparently devoted to studying for exams, etc. so by placing the story a bit earlier authors can depict “normal” high-school routines without necessarily writing around cram school schedules, career anxieties, etc., and also without running into the legal/moral/ethical issues that can arise when the characters are portrayed as being even younger.

With adult yuri stories there are always initial questions to deal with like, have the characters been in love before, with men or women, if they haven’t previously dated, why not?, etc. Obviously, those aren’t insurmountable writing problems, but the innately transitional nature of high school and the developmental state(s) of people that age make for a pretty straightforward romance-story template.

(To be clear, my point is just about the nuts-and-bolts of setting up a story—people of a variety of ages and developmental states can and do make for interesting romance stories.)

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

Yeah I mean, I know it's simpler and get why (though the point about the 3rd year being very heavy in workload is a good one I hadn't considered) I just get a little annoyed by basically all the characters being under 18 sometimes.

joined Jan 20, 2020

Seriously, these two are a great pairing. Their dynamic is really adorable and perfect for each other. Their images blend well together as a couple. Also the drawing is so nice! They all look pretty in every panel. The story plotline is hilarious too! I can't wait to see for them to be closer as a couple :)

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Yeah I mean, I know it's simpler and get why (though the point about the 3rd year being very heavy in workload is a good one I hadn't considered) I just get a little annoyed by basically all the characters being under 18 sometimes.

Well, that's why mangakas decided to add adults in their works too. Alas, loli x adult genre was born.
I think a lot of mangakas find it hard to wrap their heads around writing actual adult stories.

I don't think it's because this age is convenient. You can easily write adults without having to mention their previous romantic relationships etc.
I just think it's either because the majority of the audience reading these mangas are teens themselves, so they can empathize with the mc and the easier struggles they go through in that age.
But sometimes school girls/boys can be a fetish too.

joined Sep 5, 2018

I just get a little annoyed by basically all the characters being under 18 sometimes.

It’s the shackles of the Class S heritage. Make-believe relationships between girls are only allowed until graduation. After graduation/age 18, being interested in other girls is verboten. Class S is also to blame why subtext almost never turns into text because things actually happening is also verboten in Class S. If you dare to draw/write women over 18 interested in other women, then you’re not drawing Class S, you’re drawing LESBIANS! gasp Since anything related to actual homosexuality must be avoided, we can’t have that, so all girls must be under 18.

Class S stories paved the way for the yuri genre, but now it’s really hard to get rid of. Fortunately, more and more artists and publishers are jumping on the fuck Class S train, but many others still stick to Class S stuff. sigh

More on-topic: Adult life is great because it’s not Class S and we know from the get-go that things are allowed to happen, so I’m gonna enjoy Kanda and Ookuma’s shenanigans while waiting for the inevitable eventual reveal.

last edited at Jan 20, 2020 11:59AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.